The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday July 21st, 2022

richwmn

Today is National Be Someone Day, National Junk Food Day, and National Day of the Dog

The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off.--Joe Klaas, Twelve Steps to Happiness

Meal Suggestion for today - Chicken Pesto Meatballs
Drink of the Day - Sqrrl Pbj Shot
Wine of the Day - Schloss Johannisberger 2018 Purpurlack Beerenausle
Destination of the Day - Avalon, California, US

Eurodam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 07:00 - 13:00

Koningsdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 10:00 - 18:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 21:00

Nieuw Statendam

Isafjordur, Westfjords Iceland 08:00 - 17:00

Noordam

Juneau, Alaska 08:00 - 18:00

Oosterdam

Souda-Chania, Crete Greece 08:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Alesund, Norway 07:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

Sitka, Baranof Island, Alaska 08:00 - 16:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Alesund, Norway eta 07/22

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Tracy Arm & Juneau, Alaska eta 07/22

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0721Atlantic.thumb.png.cc3c2f9a60e5d844e507748645a24824.png

0721Pacific.thumb.png.9e84f6b3a3981d117016a147222d4983.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 12

Thank you for the Fleet Report and Daily.

I hope I can just be myself today, whoever that is.😉  I'm trying to cut down on junk food but there's a bag of potato chips calling to me.  Every day is the day of the dog in our house.  Bertie Woofster is king of the castle.

Love the quote.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to the recipe.

@summer slopeThanks for the drink recipe,  not sure I can get the ingredients here.

Not sure about the wine, hope it's good.

We had a severe thunderstorm watch and then a tornado watch issued by Environment Canada yesterday afternoon.  It was cloudy most of the day, then the wind picked up and the rain came down in buckets with thunder and lightning for good measure.  Fortunately, no tornado but lots of much needed rain.  It's still cloudy and breezy this morning but it should clear up and be sunny this afternoon.  But it's still hot and humid, not sure when that will change.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 29

Good morning everyone.  Thank-you for the daily report.  I think I’ll be me today.  I won’t be celebrating junk food day as I celebrated hot dog and ice cream soda days yesterday.  Hooray for dogs who make our lives happier.  I’ll pass on the meal suggestion and today’s drink.  I haven’t been to today’s port I’ll bet there are some nice photos.  Prayers for everyone on today’s prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events!

• Like 29

Thank you for the Thursday Fleet Report and Daily, Rich.  Many here will enjoy Day of the Dog (Is there a day of the Cat), and I try to be someone.  Probably most of us eat too much junk food.  Have not been to Avalon.  Love the Klass quote.  The meal sounds nice.  My alternative is a freshly made lido waffle with mixed berry topping, my final meal on MS Rotterdam VI July 21, 2011.  Off to walk early before the heat gets too dangerous.

Today’s care list:

Ren’s dirty opponent
Mamaofami son with covid
Heartgrove brother discharged but rapidly declining
Marshhawk DH awaiting biopsy 2/26
Bennybear DH  melanoma surgery
Marshhawk reaction to second booster
SusieKIslandGirl niece with Covid
From the rotation:
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Amy adjusting to widowhood and children
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday Sharon DH Craig
Seasick Sailer in Hawaii
Cruisin Single with sister to 7/28
Cruzin Terri  in Williamsburg
Aliaschief in Scotland until 8/13
SusieKIslandGirl recovery from hip replacement
Great job by ren’s team
Volendam caring for refugees
0106 covering menu suggestions until 8/1
cat shepard cleared by dermatologist
dfish (Rotterdam 7/17 to 7/31) and Gail&Marty (10/15), Vict0riann  (Nieuw Statendam (7/16 to 8/9) and Cat in My Lap (Zaandam to 8/13)  at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 14

Good afternoon from a cloudy 65°F North East England.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich and Roy for the various lists.

I think most of us tend to eat junk food for convenience.

Most of us like dogs.

We are all somebody every day.

Nice food.

There is an element of truth in today's quote.

Yesterday would have been the 38th birthday of Pauline's brother's Boxer dog.

I pray everyone is fit and well.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham 

16584009023471217218043362998648.jpg

• Like 32

Good morning! Up and busy this morning. Final preps prior to airport. I’m sure the airline will be offering a variety of junk food on our flights today.

We had a nice dinner out with neighbors then came home and early to bed. 

Maybe more while in airports but for now it’s get ready time!

Thanks for the Fleet Report and Care List.  

Yes we are excited and pumped up!😎

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 38

When thinking about the meal suggestion for today chicken pesto meatballs, I think pesto is the key word. 

Pesto is a sauce originating in Genoa, the capital city of Liguria, Italy. It traditionally consists of crushed garlic, European pine nuts, coarse salt, basil leaves, and hard cheese such as Parmigiano-Reggiano or Pecorino Sardo, all blended with olive oil. Feel free to get creative with your pesto.  I often substitute arugula, spinach and mint for the basil.  I frequently use walnuts instead of pine nuts.  Leave the nuts out if you are allergic.  If freezing, I leave out the cheese and put it in ice cube trays.  It is a wonderful flavor enhancer.

Here’s an interesting story I came across while researching pesto.  From NPR, “Airports are more secure than they were, but some security measures are not worth the price. Genoa, Italy, limits liquids on the plane to a bit more than 3 ounces. And that didn't work because airport security seized hundreds of jars of pesto sauce, which is a Genoa specialty. They had to change the rules. You may now keep your pesto sauce on the plane if you make a donation to charity and send it through a specially designated pesto scanner.”

These meatballs can be cooked in the oven or an InstaPot.  I like that they are served over pesto pasta. https://lilluna.com/pesto-chicken-meatballs/

Chicken pesto meatballs served with a bowl of pesto pasta

This recipe has a minimal amount of pesto and the meatballs are served with marinara sauce.  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/chicken-pesto-meatballs/

Chicken Pesto Meatballs

This recipe uses almond flour instead of breadcrumbs and is served over spaghetti squash for a low carb meal.  https://www.punchfork.com/recipe/Paleo-Pesto-Chicken-Meatballs-Whole30-Keto-Paleo-Running-Momma

Paleo Pesto Chicken Meatballs (Whole30, Keto)

• Like 25
  • Thanks 11

Thank you for the Daily Fleet Report!  

We watched that storm get closer and closer to us all day yesterday and we finally started to get the thunderstorm around 10 last night.  There was a tornado watch/warning as well.  Possibly another storm today.  

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

The Saharan dust which has invaded Florida has me sneezing like crazy, hopefully it will be gone by Saturday.

Not sure if I agree with the quote.

It's great that man's best friend has a national day.

We eat very little junk food.

The meal is something I would try.

We have been to Avalon on Catalina Island but I think there's an Avalon in Spain which we have not been to.

Thanks for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 30

Good morning  to all. Chicken pesto meatballs sound delicious  and I think I will try the instapot recipe, thanks to Tina @0106,again.

It is always a dog day here and our two provide us with lots of entertainment.  I try to avoid junk food but  sometimes  the temptation  is just too strong. I would hope that we are all somebody. 

@marshhawk,I am sorry you had such a big reaction to your booster and hope you are better today.I have a theory that because 

DH and I worked over 40 years in Healthcare that we were exposed to every possible virus and bug over time . This is just a theory....

@Sharon in AZ, a very Happy Birthday  to Craig.Enjoy the celebration  too.

Fred the Dog day celebrant

20220721_064455.jpg

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Good Thursday Morning Dailyites!  I got out of bed at 7 to the sound of thunder rumbling in the distance.  Always the fear of losing power, I got up to make the coffee, and now it is pouring with thunder and lightening.  Very close lightening, so the cats are pretty much hiding.  Except for Irving, who I think is deaf along with senile.

I did sleep all day yesterday, got up twice, and was back in bed and asleep by midnight, and slept until 7.  I am feeling better, thank you for the  well wishes.  But since I missed work yesterday, I will have a long day today to make up some hours.

@0106I like the fact that Italy bypassed the ounces of "liquid" with a special pass that donates to a charity.  I wish there was more active common sense like that in our travels.  Thank you for the recipes, I did print out one from yesterdays  list so that DH can make it.

DH's doc called yesterday and changed the location of the biopsy to the downtown hospital, rather than the college hospital which is closer to us. So a bit of a longer drive, and the drive doesn't go past the donut shop.  DH does appreciate the prayers, and said it was OK if I put down his name here, so prayers get to him faster (LOL).  It's Chuck. 

a21f0f4a186c1e500424ed1f50cab3f2--coffee-quotes-throwback-thursday.jpg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich!  It is a lovely morning here, after a wild day of intense storms. Bindi is very excited that it is her day. Though every day really is her day. 

Thank you for keeping our lists Roy! @bennybear, Brenda, praying that all goes well with DH’s surgery & he recovers quickly.

@Sharon in AZ, Happy 70th Birthday to Craig! May his new decade be filled with laughter, love, great health & cruises!

990BE8F3-4747-495C-9724-1B77516D7FD9.jpeg.13a9f7d4c88576182c81a06e02826740.jpeg

Today is my day off from the gym, so lots of house chores. Then later I am off to help a friend start packing. 

The girls loved the idea of this dog visiting Santa. 

1A4476F9-1C58-4173-80AA-9A68850DDCF9.jpeg.c1f7be61f09ca6323542a38b7eba3edf.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Schloss Johannisberger 2018 Purpurlack Beerenausle

This amazing Riesling has quite a name, superb ratings and lots of fans. But it has a hefty price tag that will prevent me from trying it most likely. Several online distributors with prices starting at $159.95/$300 for a half/full bottle. 

99 Wine Enthusiast 

Firm nose, candied and dried yellow fruit aromas, dried floral traces, touch of yellow spice, prominent mineral notes. Firm, juic, very sweet fruit on the palate, concentrated and pure, vegetal, herbacous and yeasty traces, persistent, veryconcentrated and deep, complex, very vibrant, hint of red berries, touch of sugar candy, long, firm, concentrated, juicy finish. Needs time to mature.

Best to drink: 2022-2080+

• Like 32
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning! Up and busy this morning. Final preps prior to airport. I’m sure the airline will be offering a variety of junk food on our flights today.

We had a nice dinner out with neighbors then came home and early to bed. 

Maybe more while in airports but for now it’s get ready time!

Thanks for the Fleet Report and Care List.  

Yes we are excited and pumped up!😎

Have a wonderful trip you two! 

• Like 22

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Tina for today's recipes. And thank you all for being here!

Hitting the road tomorrow for Chicago and the wedding. It will be a short visit this time. Hopefully the heat doesn't cause a problem. It will be great to see family again!

Stay Safe!

- Jack

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  We chose the right day to head to town.  Yesterday was cloudy and off and on rain but we dodged it at every stop.  It is going to be windy so it will be a day of gardening.   It will be good to get caught up.  

Thanks for the Daily Reports.  Prayers for those in Ukraine and those on Roy's care list.  

We enjoyed our junk food yesterday so we are eating healthier today.  We went to a restaurant that had fish fry daily in a touristy town Eagle River.  

IMG_20220720_120201205.jpg

IMG_20220720_120344585.jpg

• Like 26