Another cruise line (Virgin) drops Covid testing

DaveOKC

I prefer cruise lines drop requirements only in a gradual way, personally.

For example, giving booked passengers enough notice so that those who do want to sail with a tested cohort have time to adjust their plans.

I'm fine with the testing requirement going away, but I certainly hope HAL doesn't drop it until after I board on August 3rd. My family prefers more stringent requirements, and booked based upon the expectations stated at the time. People should get what they were told to expect when they booked, whenever possible, or have enough time to cancel/reschedule if significant rule adjustments occur.

• Like 7

I mean let's face it, many folks including my mil and the US prez who are both vaxxed and multi boosted are now getting the crud and both are doing just fine thank goodness. MIL is out of hospital (observation and some IV meds only, no ICU) and back in her memory care apartment hail and hearty (woo hoo!!) and enjoying her ice cream and apple crumble (we called tonight to check on her and she is so happy to be "home"). I kinda think it is time to move on. Let's all do our best when WE get sick but in the end, it's up to us to be responsible citizens. 

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 6

Someone in one of the other threads remarked that the cruise lines should maybe target themeselves at niches, for instance those who want no more COVID restrictions vs. those who want things limited to vaxxed, boosted, tested, and masked.

At this rate, HAL will do exactly that simply by their inaction to loosen restrictions.  They risk becoming known as the cruise line for those who are afraid to be out in the real world, which is quite counter to their focus on exploration.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, iceman93 said:

Someone in one of the other threads remarked that the cruise lines should maybe target themeselves at niches, for instance those who want no more COVID restrictions vs. those who want things limited to vaxxed, boosted, tested, and masked.

At this rate, HAL will do exactly that simply by their inaction to loosen restrictions.  They risk becoming known as the cruise line for those who are afraid to be out in the real world, which is quite counter to their focus on exploration.

I have been suggesting niche markets since cruising resumed last year (and have taken quite a bit of heat on the subject lol).. It's apparent to me that we are a country divided on covid protocols. It's also apparent to me that the industry needs out-of-the-box thinking.

I think it's interesting that Princess is welcoming unvaccinated passengers now. They have revised their protocols to allow 10% unvaccinated and are touting that they will make these vaccine exemptions much easier to obtain. Since Princess and HAL are both CCL, and it seems to me that Princess and HAL have target similar markets, perhaps this is a first step.

On a side note, Princess is not the only line welcoming 10% unvaccinated. I believe Carnival and Royal Caribbean have for quite a while, although RCL prints that getting exemptions is difficult. Virgin just jumped on the 'welcoming unvaccinated' bandwagon yesterday with their policy of 10% unvaccinated with easier exemption processes. 

• Like 1

I have been 3 times vaxxed …went to drs office after isolating for over 3 months caught Covid …big bad cold ..miserable for about a week took 3 weeks to get rid of it ….

its time to remove testing it just stresses plus no guaranty it does not come out later 

Biden obviously hadit inIsrael coughing up a storm ..4 times vaxxed …no they did not prevent 

please remove testing on all cruises esp in Europe 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, iceman93 said:

I said something like this in a previous post which got deleted. Too confrontational, perhaps? Anyway, I have been vaxxed, no boosters. I will not be cruising again until all requirements are dropped. I have been around Covid when my daughter visited for 4 days over the 4th. Thought she had a cold she picked up while traveling by plane from NJ to CA. Found out on the 5th that she tested positive. I had no symptoms, tested to be sure and was negative. There were other times I’ve been exposed, too. Consider me lucky as I have not even had a sniffle since this whole thing started. 
For those that are immuno-compromised, masks can still be worn. I am 66, fairly healthy and want to enjoy each day. I am ready to book once requirements are lifted.

• Like 3

Cruising September 3rd from Venice. Personally, I don't really mind the testing, however, for European cruises and people traveling from the USA to their embarkation port, the logistics of getting a test within 72 hours of sailing are actually complicated. We are three people. One is coming from west coast USA leaving 3 days before, the other one will be arriving in Milan 2 days before the sailing and taking a train to Venice and the other one will be in Poland and traveling to Venice the day before the sailing. Does anyone know if there is a useful resource on the Holland America website, apart from their frequently asked general questions? Is there a working number to call with testing related questions out of European ports? Does anyone know if there is a specific post on the forum about this kind of topic? I feel given the complicated logistics for US travelers on these cruises that they should offer testing at the cruise terminal. It's a logistical nightmare given the 72 hour testing window for most people. 

Edited by Shelerich
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shelerich said:

Cruising September 3rd from Venice. Personally, I don't really mind the testing, however, for European cruises and people traveling from the USA to their embarkation port, the logistics of getting a test within 72 hours of sailing are actually complicated. We are three people. One is coming from west coast USA leaving 3 days before, the other one will be arriving in Milan 2 days before the sailing and taking a train to Venice and the other one will be in Poland and traveling to Venice the day before the sailing. Does anyone know if there is a useful resource on the Holland America website, apart from their frequently asked general questions? Is there a working number to call with testing related questions out of European ports? Does anyone know if there is a specific post on the forum about this kind of topic? I feel given the complicated logistics for US travelers on these cruises that they should offer testing at the cruise terminal. It's a logistical nightmare given the 72 hour testing window for most people. 

I understand your anguish, however there is no other resource.

Currently you all need to be tested within the required period or you will not be permitted to board the ship.

There were numerous places in Venice area doing the tests (pharmacies etc) but it seems that they are getting less and less because there is very little demand for testing, apart from cruisers on a few cruise lines.

https://www.veneziaairport.it/en/info-and-assistance/swab-test-covid-19.html

https://www.live-venice.it/en/covid-19-where-to-reserve-rapid-antigen-tests-in-venice/

16 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

I understand your anguish, however there is no other resource.

Currently you all need to be tested within the required period or you will not be permitted to board the ship.

There were numerous places in Venice area doing the tests (pharmacies etc) but it seems that they are getting less and less because there is very little demand for testing, apart from cruisers on a few cruise lines.

https://www.veneziaairport.it/en/info-and-assistance/swab-test-covid-19.html

https://www.live-venice.it/en/covid-19-where-to-reserve-rapid-antigen-tests-in-venice/

The lack of testing locations and the removal of insurance payments are becoming increasingly worrisome.  Once the US quit requiring testing for international flights testing is no longer a profitable enterprise 

12 hours ago, PACD_JG said:

all to satisfy a bunch of widows who would never book a holiday cruise in the first place

Edit - nevermind, seems like mod has removed the offensive post.

Edited by Xenni
  • Like 2