Just got on the Pride and not impressed so far

Eli_6

On 7/29/2022 at 9:15 PM, kwokpot said:

I'm sorry but I can't agree with that statement. Royal,Celebrity,NCL, Princess and MSC does a much better job in Europe than Carnival. 

Ok, I still think CCL do a fine job in Europe and have sailed with 4/5 lines of that group.

We just got off this cruise. We had a fantastic time. The tenders were a challenge at times. We only booked Carnival excursions so we didn’t experience the wait times and problems others did. Every single employee we saw was friendly. Our head waiter Dragon was a true professional and extremely friendly. My friend has food allergies and happens to be a vegetarian so she was concerned with the dining menu and offerings. The care they took with her issues was unbelievable. They even prepared special dishes specific to her needs. Their system was A+. However, the new menu choices have been more limited and I was somewhat disappointed. Food is very subjective and I’m sure others might have different opinions. The ship is dark and a little outdated in decor but we enjoyed it. The Spirit class has always been my favorite as it’s smaller size is easier to get around and we never waited in line for anything. I would sail her again in a heartbeat. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, freeholdfriends said:

We just got off this cruise. We had a fantastic time. The tenders were a challenge at times. We only booked Carnival excursions so we didn’t experience the wait times and problems others did. Every single employee we saw was friendly. Our head waiter Dragon was a true professional and extremely friendly. My friend has food allergies and happens to be a vegetarian so she was concerned with the dining menu and offerings. The care they took with her issues was unbelievable. They even prepared special dishes specific to her needs. Their system was A+. However, the new menu choices have been more limited and I was somewhat disappointed. Food is very subjective and I’m sure others might have different opinions. The ship is dark and a little outdated in decor but we enjoyed it. The Spirit class has always been my favorite as it’s smaller size is easier to get around and we never waited in line for anything. I would sail her again in a heartbeat. 

Thanks for the feedback, I have been on 46 Carnival cruises and never had a cross employee, or one speak to me in a  negative light

We are on the Pride October 11th from Rome, so I have been watching these posts closely.  OP I am sorry your son was scared by an employee and I hope you ultimately enjoyed your cruise for all the other things that went on. 

I was last on the Pride in March for the sailabration silliness, and I was very outspoken about that being a bunch of over hyped nothing.  But the Pride itself, I enjoyed quite a lot.  I was paying close attention to the ship because I knew we would be sailing her again in October for Europe.  Yes- she isn't a spring chicken anymore.  There were rust spots here and there but nothing I haven't seen on newer ships that are in service.   I was amused that despite multiple days of "balcony washing" notices, the balcony never actually seemed cleaner from one day to the next.   But it was just salt spray out there on the glass- it wasn't like it was covered in garbage or anything.  🤣 I figured at that time (March 2022) it was because staffing was low and at any time there was staff in quarantine on top of that.    Didn't bother me.

I found all the staff to be perfectly friendly and trying very hard, despite obviously difficult working conditions.   I did see the temporary/substitute CD lose his stuff at one point.  He clearly was struggling very much in that role.  Disembarkation in Tampa was a flipping nightmare.  And I am a patient traveler who rolls with the punches.  But that disembarkation got me aggravated to the point I decided to avoid cruising out of Tampa again.  Overall I found the Pride to have a great layout and a great crew.  I realize this was 4 months ago...

Something OP said about the tendering and bad directions does ring true with me, however.   I think our only tender port was Belize- so this must have happened in Belize.  I watched crew that were loading the tenders send people back and forth from one door to the other and get very frustrated with a couple of people.  We were sent downstairs in one location, told to go back upstairs and over to the other location, and we got in line there.  It happens.  We were fine.

But there was a lady who normally used a scooter trying to get on a tender..  She was on crutches that day.  She was in the group with us that was sent down, back up, and down to the other door.  When we boarded the tender, she couldn't, because there were stairs there.   She said she couldn't do the stairs.  They sent her back to the other door again. So she had to go up, over and down, to the place we all started.   We were still sitting on our tender, about 20 minutes later, when she showed back up our door again- madder than a wet hen.  The crew over there had sent her back to our tender door. Again.  

Now- I recognized this lady because she was a solo cruiser and a bit loud and noticeable.  But she wasn't a mean type of loud.  And the guys at the tender gave her a really hard time.  She was mad and almost tearful by that point because apparently someone at the other door had been very abrasive about her showing up over there again.  She said he yelled at her.  I wasn't there. Don't know.  But I do know they sent that poor woman back and forth god knows how many times.  I did eventually see her in Belize on the way back to the ship. 

So just a note that OP may be completely accurate about being "yelled" at.   Sometimes it isn't the volume but the tone of voice.  I don't know why she would make up a story about someone putting their hands on her son. 

I am really looking forward to being on the Pride in October and I am not hearing anything that makes me nervous about our trip.  

• Like 3

On 7/31/2022 at 7:19 AM, Cruising Jedi said:

Agreed.  Any passenger that is "screamed at" by 2 employees (spa employee and tender employee) within a couple of days is....either extremely exaggerating or, doing something extremely wrong lol

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Eli, she seems very level headed and is an experienced cruiser. I have no reason to doubt her claims. She has taken the time to share plenty of her trip experiences and doesn't come across as someone who exaggerated anything. She likes cruising and cruises with Carnival and isn't overcritical, based on previous trip reports. I would like to hear more and believe she experienced what she says she experienced. She seems to be a sharp cookie and I have no reason to doubt her, she's certainly not anti-cruising or anti-Carnival so it wouldn't make sense for her to make something up or cast undo shade where it isn't warranted.     

• Like 19

1 minute ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Eli, she seems very level headed and is an experienced cruiser. I have no reason to doubt her claims. She has taken the time to share plenty of her trip experiences and doesn't come across as someone who exaggerated anything. She likes cruising and cruises with Carnival and isn't overcritical, based on previous trip reports. I would like to hear more and believe she experienced what she says she experienced. She seems to be a sharp cookie and I have no reason to doubt her, she's certainly not anti-cruising or anti-Carnival so it wouldn't make sense for her to make something up or cast undo shade where it isn't warranted.     

I agree.  Thanks for posting cruisingguy007!

• Like 6

6 hours ago, pjhootch said:

We are on the Pride October 11th from Rome, so I have been watching these posts closely.  OP I am sorry your son was scared by an employee and I hope you ultimately enjoyed your cruise for all the other things that went on. 

I was last on the Pride in March for the sailabration silliness, and I was very outspoken about that being a bunch of over hyped nothing.  But the Pride itself, I enjoyed quite a lot.  I was paying close attention to the ship because I knew we would be sailing her again in October for Europe.  Yes- she isn't a spring chicken anymore.  There were rust spots here and there but nothing I haven't seen on newer ships that are in service.   I was amused that despite multiple days of "balcony washing" notices, the balcony never actually seemed cleaner from one day to the next.   But it was just salt spray out there on the glass- it wasn't like it was covered in garbage or anything.  🤣 I figured at that time (March 2022) it was because staffing was low and at any time there was staff in quarantine on top of that.    Didn't bother me.

I found all the staff to be perfectly friendly and trying very hard, despite obviously difficult working conditions.   I did see the temporary/substitute CD lose his stuff at one point.  He clearly was struggling very much in that role.  Disembarkation in Tampa was a flipping nightmare.  And I am a patient traveler who rolls with the punches.  But that disembarkation got me aggravated to the point I decided to avoid cruising out of Tampa again.  Overall I found the Pride to have a great layout and a great crew.  I realize this was 4 months ago...

Something OP said about the tendering and bad directions does ring true with me, however.   I think our only tender port was Belize- so this must have happened in Belize.  I watched crew that were loading the tenders send people back and forth from one door to the other and get very frustrated with a couple of people.  We were sent downstairs in one location, told to go back upstairs and over to the other location, and we got in line there.  It happens.  We were fine.

But there was a lady who normally used a scooter trying to get on a tender..  She was on crutches that day.  She was in the group with us that was sent down, back up, and down to the other door.  When we boarded the tender, she couldn't, because there were stairs there.   She said she couldn't do the stairs.  They sent her back to the other door again. So she had to go up, over and down, to the place we all started.   We were still sitting on our tender, about 20 minutes later, when she showed back up our door again- madder than a wet hen.  The crew over there had sent her back to our tender door. Again.  

Now- I recognized this lady because she was a solo cruiser and a bit loud and noticeable.  But she wasn't a mean type of loud.  And the guys at the tender gave her a really hard time.  She was mad and almost tearful by that point because apparently someone at the other door had been very abrasive about her showing up over there again.  She said he yelled at her.  I wasn't there. Don't know.  But I do know they sent that poor woman back and forth god knows how many times.  I did eventually see her in Belize on the way back to the ship. 

So just a note that OP may be completely accurate about being "yelled" at.   Sometimes it isn't the volume but the tone of voice.  I don't know why she would make up a story about someone putting their hands on her son. 

I am really looking forward to being on the Pride in October and I am not hearing anything that makes me nervous about our trip.  

Are you on the Oct 11 cruise?  

44 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Eli, she seems very level headed and is an experienced cruiser. 

I have found this to be true most of the time, too. I did scratch my head when she wrote before leaving for Europe that she was concerned about the cleanliness of the bed linens on the ship. She asked for suggestions on what kind of laundry detergent to bring with her to Europe so she could wash all the bed linen. I'd like to know what she decided or if detergent was needed. The ship does seem to need lots of TLC that's for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Sure, great.  I am 53 years old and I never in my life been "screamed at" by an employee of anything,  anywhere, anytime.  Nevermind 2 completely separate employees within a day. But whatever. Your mileage may vary I guess.  

2 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I agree with this 100%!  People seem to take any negative comments personally just because it wasn’t their experience. It’s really unfair to deny someone else’s experience!

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Cruising Jedi said:

Sure, great.  I am 53 years old and I never in my life been "screamed at" by an employee of anything,  anywhere, anytime.  Nevermind 2 completely separate employees within a day. But whatever. Your mileage may vary I guess.  

That's your experience, Eli has been pretty consistent with her reviews and opinions. It's not her first rodeo, she's shared her experience on many cruises. I'm not sure what your angle is and why you are taking things personally and trying to discredit her or blow her off. That's your choice but I choose to give her the benefit of the doubt, she's earned that much in my book.   

• Like 12

I agree with cruising guy.  Some people can’t handle any criticism of Carnival.  So they type things like the traffic jam wasn’t Carnival’s fault (no one said it was, but Carnival could have texted guests that in light of the traffic, they were delaying departure for six hours) or there must be something going on that’s not Carnival’s fault (so it’s the cruiser, not the cruise line).  Others who have been on the Pride since cruising resumed agree with many of her comments, including the disorganized tender process and the gruff guy boarding the tenders.  So unless you come here and praise Carnival, many will dismiss you or outright attack.  I thought the purpose of cc was to inform us, not to defend your chosen cruise line no matter what.  I doubt Eli will post anymore about this cruise, since there have been so many defending Carnival because they have not had the same experience.  That does not negate her experience.  

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, lazydayz said:

I agree with cruising guy.  Some people can’t handle any criticism of Carnival.  So they type things like the traffic jam wasn’t Carnival’s fault (no one said it was, but Carnival could have texted guests that in light of the traffic, they were delaying departure for six hours) or there must be something going on that’s not Carnival’s fault (so it’s the cruiser, not the cruise line).  Others who have been on the Pride since cruising resumed agree with many of her comments, including the disorganized tender process and the gruff guy boarding the tenders.  So unless you come here and praise Carnival, many will dismiss you or outright attack.  I thought the purpose of cc was to inform us, not to defend your chosen cruise line no matter what.  I doubt Eli will post anymore about this cruise, since there have been so many defending Carnival because they have not had the same experience.  That does not negate her experience.  

That's the irony, she actually likes Carnival and cruising in general, most of the posts I've seen from her are about cruising with them mostly and she brings her family along too. It's not a one off type thing where someone just wants to trash the line/industry. I seriously doubt she's exaggerating when she's usually a positive type personality. It just doesn't make sense and is anomalistic to her usual disposition.   

• Like 4

I don't doubt something happened, but I also know that attitude is contagious and there is more than one side to a story.

For Carnival to text everyone? They might well have. How many people had cell phones that were turned on and work in Europe? Those that were stuck in traffic already knew. How many would complain about the cost of the text or phone call?

The hot waiting area to check in wasn't on Carnival. Air conditioning isn't common in England and the temperatures are soaring.

Benefit of the doubt also applies to those who aren't given an opportunity to tell their side.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I don't doubt something happened, but I also know that attitude is contagious and there is more than one side to a story.

For Carnival to text everyone? They might well have. How many people had cell phones that were turned on and work in Europe? Those that were stuck in traffic already knew. How many would complain about the cost of the text or phone call?

The hot waiting area to check in wasn't on Carnival. Air conditioning isn't common in England and the temperatures are soaring.

Benefit of the doubt also applies to those who aren't given an opportunity to tell their side.

Fair points, especially the attitude is contagious, normally this would be my first reaction as well but I've seen plenty of her posts on cruises where small things went wrong and/or minor grievances were acknowledged but she just sailed right on and made a joke about grabbing a cocktail or something. Her stating she may never sail Carnival again makes me think it was a little more than a minor issue. I could see someone who may not have read her previous posts/interactions thinking it dramatic but it's not her usual style/self.  

1 hour ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Fair points, especially the attitude is contagious, normally this would be my first reaction as well but I've seen plenty of her posts on cruises where small things went wrong and/or minor grievances were acknowledged but she just sailed right on and made a joke about grabbing a cocktail or something. Her stating she may never sail Carnival again makes me think it was a little more than a minor issue. I could see someone who may not have read her previous posts/interactions thinking it dramatic but it's not her usual style/self.  

She obviously was stressed before getting on the ship from events outside of Carnival's control. I'm not interested in overthinking who, what, when, how or assigning blame or fault. 

I was interested in the cruise and the ports, but am ceasing to care. We have our own British Isles cruise coming up in a few weeks and it will be marvellous - even it it rains every damn day.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

Was it really a mile walk to the check in tent in Dover as previously reported?

It's 1 mile from the train station to the cruise terminal.  Some people were talking about walking from the station because of the traffic tie ups and a lack of taxis

• Like 2

On 7/30/2022 at 9:50 AM, letsgo39 said:

Did you pay the cab in Euros? Are you sure it was Euros?

Actually - I don't remember.  I didn't have any #'s so it wasn't that.  I may have paid by credit card - in #'s?   I'll just say it was 8 (something or other).

3 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Was it really a mile walk to the check in tent in Dover as previously reported?

Do you know when embarking in Dover could you carry liquor on with you? I have heard reports you could carry a bottle of vodka or whiskey right on during this time. 

21 hours ago, Cruising Jedi said:

Lucky you.  You clearly haven't spent much time in New York City.  🙂    I have absolutely had employees yell or scream at me a time or two.  I definitely have had more experiences where an employee has barked at me about something and been very rude or abrupt.  It happens.  It has never happened to me on Carnival.  But that does not mean it cannot happen.  Carnival, like all companies, sometimes hires employees that suck.  I personally think they do a great job of having their employees put on a cheerful pleasant demeanor for guests.  But sometimes people lash out.

OP-  I had a border crossing agent put their hands on my 11 or 12 year old son at one point.  Scared the living crap out of my kid.  Border agent was way out of line and on a power trip.  Yelled at me when I tried to explain the situation.  I wanted to melt down on him- but when you are crossing back into the states from Mexico- you say "thank you" and just keep moving.  

43 minutes ago, pjhootch said:

Yep 🙂    Looking forward to it...

My DH and I are on the same itinerary Oct 18, 2023.  I'm looking forward to checking out the excursions when Carnival posts them to my Cruise Manager. Have you already selected what you'll do in port?