Purchasing Drinks From A Drinks Package

jdacombe

DW andI be sailing in two weeks time with some first time cruisers and wondered if anyone had experience of purchasing drinks from the Drinks Package

When my wife and I cruised last year there was the problem if ordering two drinks on the same medallion profile the second drink was charged to that person's account. Does anybody know if that is still the case?

If both parties' profiles are on the same device, would ordering one drink from one profile and then switching to the second profile and order the second drink from that profile work?

Many thanks for any info 

• Like 1

Just cruised in June and didn't seem to have any issues ordering multiple drinks from the same profile. Not sure if they were both charged to the same account but we never got to the daily limit.

When I was on the Discovery Princess last April, my first cruise with the medallion, while waiting for my brother to meet up with me, the bartender would not let me order a drink for him along with my own unless he was there also. Not a big deal but kind of a pain to have to wait for them to come around again.

Hopefully you'll have better luck.

20 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

When I was on the Discovery Princess last April, my first cruise with the medallion, while waiting for my brother to meet up with me, the bartender would not let me order a drink for him along with my own unless he was there also. Not a big deal but kind of a pain to have to wait for them to come around again.

Hopefully you'll have better luck.

Were you and your brother sharing a cabin? If so, it should not be a problem.  

On Regal last month I got drinks for my wife and myself with no issue at all, even though she was still in the cabin.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Billish said:

Were you and your brother sharing a cabin? If so, it should not be a problem.  

On Regal last month I got drinks for my wife and myself with no issue at all, even though she was still in the cabin.

We were.

Maybe it was just the guy in Princess Live! We were regulars in there for trivia and other things going on but when I sat down and ordered, he told me he can't bring the other drink because my brother's  medallion has to be within the range or something like that.

• Like 1

On the Discovery in May numerous times while ordering a drink from the drink package the staff person had to enter my cabin number because they could not read the medallion.  The wife did not have this problem.

Since then other posters have suggested it was a low battery or something.  Brand new medallion with low battery.  Yup more Princess tech to contend with.

Bob 

We didn't have any problem ordering 2 doubles for my husband & 2 for myself at one time no matter which bar we went to.

When one of us hit the 15 drink max, they just charged it to the other persons account. 

• Like 1

As with most things Princess related, the correct answer is “It depends.”  Some servers will insist on both medallions being present, but some servers do not.  In my experience, after a couple of days, the servers will know that there are two of you both with a package, and they will relax.

10 hours ago, MissP22 said:

We didn't have any problem ordering 2 doubles for my husband & 2 for myself at one time no matter which bar we went to.

When one of us hit the 15 drink max, they just charged it to the other persons account. 

Is a double counted as 1 or 2 drinks?

15 minutes ago, jwattle said:

Two

I am not sure about that. We order a grey goose vodka 007 on the rocks which is double shot and it counts as one. Also a double grey goose with Perrier.

As long as it is $12 or less it counts as one even if it's a double.

• Like 1

On our last cruise, our waiter knew that I was partial to a glass of red, so, would always bring me a "double" glass of merlot,  and a single glass for my wife. 

As I never reached the 15  drink limit, I never found out if my glass was counted as a single or a double. 

My feeling is that Princess have other things to worry about than 75c worth of wine! 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, candydane said:

Is a double counted as 1 or 2 drinks?

It always was counted as two.

We mostly got our shots from the bar, without ice, ad added it in from our ice bucket later in the cabin. 

• Thanks 2

When the recipe for a cocktail requires more than one shot of alcohol the drink is just one drink. When you order a shot of alcohol then each shot counts as a drink. I’ve seen threads on CC where folks in the know have said order ……(some named cocktail on the menu) …. but no vermouth, no cherry (you get the idea). And you can get a larger pour and get it counted as one drink. 

I don’t drink many cocktails so I didn’t bookmark any of that information.  I did however ask a couple of bartenders on board this last spring and they confirmed it’s a legit way to get a larger pour and have it count as one drink. 

if you call room service you can get up to 4 drinks for each person sent up. 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

When the recipe for a cocktail requires more than one shot of alcohol the drink is just one drink. When you order a shot of alcohol then each shot counts as a drink. I’ve seen threads on CC where folks in the know have said order ……(some named cocktail on the menu) …. but no vermouth, no cherry (you get the idea). And you can get a larger pour and get it counted as one drink. 

I don’t drink many cocktails so I didn’t bookmark any of that information.  I did however ask a couple of bartenders on board this last spring and they confirmed it’s a legit way to get a larger pour and have it count as one drink. 

if you call room service you can get up to 4 drinks for each person sent up. 

Agree a waiter told me to order a Rob Roy with no vermouth to get a double for the price of a single. Apparently, they gave a shot of scotch for the missing vermouth.