Your Favorite Beer That's Available On A Royal Ship?

I thought Playmakers on Oasis ships had a good beer selection. RCCL used to have Funky Buddha selections on board and at Coco Cay.

For those who like to try local brews, in Costa Maya Tropicante used to have local brews from Xcalak's Costa de Coco's .  In Cozumel there are a few places you can get Akumal from Playa or Tulum from Tulum, but best place to try Mexican craft is at La Internacional Cerveceria on Melgar across from the Costa Brava hotel near the Punta Langosta Pier downtown.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I was going to ask about a Canadian beer and if it is available on Royal Ship's.

No Dow for sure! I have occasionally seen Molson, Labatts and Moosehead in the Pub style bars on RCL.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I agree.  Seems like such a missed opportunity for Royal given the explosion of craft beer popularity everywhere else.  I'm an IPA fan...mid to high IBUs are great for me.  On a Royal ship though, I will happily suffer through a Heineken or a Red Stripe.

I’m also an IPA drinker, although I love sours and stouts, too.  I’ll tolerate a Newcastle on the ship, but mostly stick to cocktails.  

Since the emergence of small breweries, beer has become more like wine.  There is a seemingly infinite number of brands and types of beer.  Everyone has their preferred beverage.  However, one can not reasonably expect international mass market cruise lines (or their local watering hole) to stock hundreds of craft beers and/or wine vintages to provide everyone's favorite.  

My preferred brew at home is Yuengling Lager (aka the nectar of the gods).  It is very good, reasonably priced, and most everyone likes it.  It is mass produced.  I have never seen it on a cruise ship.   I view it as an opportunity.

I use cruises as an opportunity to try out different brews.  Unlike a case, it is only a one beer commitment.  If I like it, it becomes my beer of the day.  The next day, I start the process all over again.  It can be a challenge on a 14 day cruise to find 14 non light beers beers that are not served in aluminum bottles.

24 minutes ago, davy jones said:

My preferred brew at home is Yuengling Lager (aka the nectar of the gods).  It is very good, reasonably priced, and most everyone likes it.  It is mass produced.  I have never seen it on a cruise ship.   I view it as an opportunity.

IT's a good default beer me (I grew up in PA). I'd never seek it out at a bar, but if someone handed me one, I'd enjoy it.

It would be a good cruise ship beer since it'd appeal to the masses but isn't a crappy light  beer

Edited by smokeybandit

2 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

IT's a good default beer me (I grew up in PA). I'd never seek it out at a bar, but if someone handed me one, I'd enjoy it.

The home brewery is in the area,  It's pretty much everywhere around here.  Popular after a round of golf.  

23 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Seriously, whats wrong with a big brewery. And why is beer better because you add Craft to the description. Plenty of craft beer is just awful. 

I just don't see a correlation between small and good.

I play at a jam every Monday at a local brewery (hey they give us free beer) and I've drank all their beers. John is right, no correlation. I like a lot of craft beers and hate a lot of craft beers. Same goes for big breweries..

• Like 1

22 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Always get a pattie and a Red Stripe or two in Falmouth. Pepper's Jerk Center just outside gate is good, but sometimes it's just the kiosk in the compound. 

Unfortunately I'm drawn to the 16oz cans up on the pool deck when on the ship.

I have found a local brown ale called Dukes here in Florida that is very nice.

Screenshot_20220724-124300_Google.thumb.jpg.2510de0cf356954d613b958a0adad699.jpg

Never tried it but the can is enough to draw me to give it a try!!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ret MP said:

We all have our own opinions about things.   Other than life changing events/ideologies/systems, etc etc, I don't see how anyone is more of or lessor of a person because of the brand/type of beer we drink.  I've stated that I don't like IPAs, if you do, go for it.  If this thread was about hamburgers, would I be less of a person because I like a Burger King Whopper better than a McDonald's Big Mac.  I personally don't see the big deal with 5 Guys or In/Out Burger hamburgers but I won't think less of you because you do.  Let's enjoy discussing what kind of beer we like and what is available on a Royal ship.  Let's not turn this fun thread into a pissing contest, please.  No, I'm not a moderator.  I just would like to have some fun with this.  Humor is great though.  I like the "friends don't let friends ........" type of thing.  

BTW, I've already got some good ideas of some beers that I've got to try on my next cruise from you folks. 

Well said. However, when drinking beer I always lose the contest (of trying not to go so often 🙂 )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Coor’s light is like sex in a canoe. F$&king near water

or so say my beer drinking friends. We are wine and liquor drinkers

I've never heard of the canoe. I've always heard "sex on the beach"

1 hour ago, davy jones said:

Since the emergence of small breweries, beer has become more like wine.  There is a seemingly infinite number of brands and types of beer.  Everyone has their preferred beverage.  However, one can not reasonably expect international mass market cruise lines (or their local watering hole) to stock hundreds of craft beers and/or wine vintages to provide everyone's favorite.  

I use cruises as an opportunity to try out different brews.  Unlike a case, it is only a one beer commitment.  If I like it, it becomes my beer of the day.  The next day, I start the process all over again.  It can be a challenge on a 14 day cruise to find 14 non light beers beers that are not served in aluminum bottles.

Opportunity lost. Pretty sure Royal has partnerships with ABInBev, Heineken, and MillerCoors. That covers most of their offerings.

As far as aluminum bottles. Haven't seen them since restart

I have never seen PBR on a cruise ship.

LOL!!  Me neither but I would buy one if they did.

Being from Wisconsin I grew up with that beer. I'd have to have one just for old times sake.

Edited by 2chiefs

<<<SNIP>>>

<<<SNIP>>>

Sallie was born and raised in Pottstown so every once in a while, I will have one as a toast to her.

(I wouldn't consider it "nectar of the gods" though ... for me)

Modelo Negra is the best mass market beer on the ships IMO.  It is a Bavarian dunkel which is funny for a Mexican beer.   It is an absolutely fantastic beer.  Rich in flavor and has a nice ABV.  Not a knock your socks off ABV, but definitely hits you harder than a typical beer.  The pub carried it on our last cruise as well as Sabor.  It used to be available in Boleros, but I didn’t see it there on our last cruise.  If you like Bavarian dunkels give it a try.  I’m guessing you will like it a lot.  

• Like 2

If you like light beer then Royal Caribbean is the place for you. They have a great selection of beers that unfortunately are only very subtly different.

Blue Moon is about as dark and flavorful as their selection gets though. You have to go to Playmakers where they have a bunch of fun stuff on draft to find anything interesting.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, topnole said:

Modelo Negra is the best mass market beer on the ships IMO.  It is a Bavarian dunkel which is funny for a Mexican beer.   It is an absolutely fantastic beer.  Rich in flavor and has a nice ABV.  Not a knock your socks off ABV, but definitely hits you harder than a typical beer.  The pub carried it on our last cruise as well as Sabor.  It used to be available in Boleros, but I didn’t see it there on our last cruise.  If you like Bavarian dunkels give it a try.  I’m guessing you will like it a lot.  

Another fine ABInBev offering😁🍺

4 minutes ago, John&amp;LaLa said:

I goofed on my memory.  On my last trip it was not available in Sabor.  So the one really good Mexican beer was not available in their Mexican restaurant?   Who is the person making that nonsensical decision?   It always used

to be in Sabor, but now I think it just in the Pub (even though it isn’t listed in the app).  The pub also has a nice Paulaner double bock.  Had one on my last cruise and it did not disappoint.  

The reality is the beer selection is very minimal nowadays.  Seems like the pub used to have more international variety.  

1 minute ago, topnole said:

I goofed on my memory.  On my last trip it was not available in Sabor.  So the one really good Mexican beer was not available in their Mexican restaurant?   Who is the person making that nonsensical decision?   It always used

to be in Sabor, but now I think it just in the Pub (even though it isn’t listed in the app).  The pub also has a nice Paulaner double bock.  Had one on my last cruise and it did not disappoint.  

The reality is the beer selection is very minimal nowadays.  Seems like the pub used to have more international variety.  

I think it varies by ship. I do know that bottles of Newcastle were not available at Playmaker's on Indy. They said they could get them, but it didn't happen.

Earlier this year Schooner ran out of Jaeger, but they ran down to Schooner to get a bottle. Crisis averted

I recently "spent" most of my C&A "coupons" on the Newcastle Brown Ale on tap at the Ale & Anchor on the Independence of the Seas ................... also on tap @ O'Sheehan's on NCL.

Unfortunately, Royal Caribbean's choice of brews is most likely dictated by the masses.  I frequent BJ's Bar & Grill, which has a zillion beers on tap, and more often than not, people within earshot order Bud Light or some other light beer.

48 minutes ago, 2chiefs said:

LOL!!  Me neither but I would buy one if they did.

Being from Wisconsin I grew up with that beer. I'd have to have one just for old times sake.

Unfortunately PBR today is not the PBR back in the day. Not brewed in Milwaukee anymore either. But I have a crew mate who sits in a local pizza joint that service beaucoup craft on tap and nurses PBR,🙃

Tecate ("It's not beer, its' cervaza" is their slogan) is a fine, easy drinking Mexican beer that is sometimes can be found in Boleros.  Never saw it in Sabor or Rita's Catina back in the day.  Always found that to be odd.

Owned by Heineken.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, John&amp;LaLa said:

No Groupo Modelo just shares distribution rights rights with ABInBev.

2 hours ago, davy jones said:

Yueng Light is one of the best tasting light beers around.  I'm surprised some Florida based cruise ships don't offer it as their 3rd brewery is in Tampa.