Regent hotels Tokyo and Hong Kong

As part of our Asia cruise in 2023 we have 3 nights in Tokyo (Hilton or equivalent) and 3 nights in Hong Kong (Kowloon Shangri La or equivalent).  Are these the basic rooms or slightly more luxurious (for example Hilton Tokyo access to executive lounge etc) Whilst these pre and post options are included on our cruise they are quite expensive when booked separately so hoping a bit of luxury is included 😁 Many thanks in advance for your feedback.

The Tokyo Hilton was a basic room for us on our included pre cruise package.  We stayed an additional night and Regent offered us the room for double what we could get it at Hilton.com.   Regent included breakfast on a separate floor for two hours I think, I am Hilton Gold so we had the full breakfast at the restaurant.

• Like 1

Thank you RetiredandTravel - basic it is 😁, following a basic economy flight over there (unless we cough up extra for an upgrade 😂😂). Do people flying from the USA automatically get Business class flights and if so, are your cruise fares much more expensive than those booked in UK as it does seem there is a different offering depending on which country you book in?

3 hours ago, Techno123 said:

Thank you RetiredandTravel - basic it is 😁, following a basic economy flight over there (unless we cough up extra for an upgrade 😂😂). Do people flying from the USA automatically get Business class flights and if so, are your cruise fares much more expensive than those booked in UK as it does seem there is a different offering depending on which country you book in?

We  take the air credit and make our own flight arrangements, important to note that when you take the air credit you also lose airport transfers.

Yes in the US Regent fare's include business class air for international cruises, I don't know if they are more expensive so I'll attach a '23 Tokyo trip.  Its my understanding that there is a "deviation fee" you can pay to better customize the Regent air.

https://www.rssc.com/cruises/EXP231020/summary?source=top results

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

When we did the cruise we took the credit and got a much better deal directly with Hilton.  Because of my membership with Hilton we got breakfast and a suite upgrade.

Was that with the land tour though rather than the one night pre cruise?

You can't add the included one night hotel in The Concierge Suite package to the free three night pre cruise package.  We purchased the additional night directly from Hilton (1/2 the price Regent quoted) and emailed the hotel to make sure the two reservations were connected so we didn't have to change rooms.  There is a decent gym for a hotel in the Tokyo Hilton.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RetiredandTravel said:

You can't add the included one night hotel in The Concierge Suite package to the free three night pre cruise package.  We purchased the additional night directly from Hilton (1/2 the price Regent quoted) and emailed the hotel to make sure the two reservations were connected so we didn't have to change rooms.  There is a decent gym for a hotel in the Tokyo Hilton.

We went for the superior suite (F1) because of that. Will make sure I pack the exercise gear ( will definitely need it - 20 nights on board is the most we have ever done 😜 so will have a lot to work off).  Did you mention an Italian restaurant (I know,  but the hubby loves Italian food and wherever we go we have to find a good Italian restaurant 😁)

We also love Italian food.  We went to Meiji Shrine on our own and had lunch at Il Vischio.  Smaller restaurant that's little hard to find but had great pasta & salad, the food was delicious and food & wine very reasonable for Tokyo.  They also have dinner but I think its probably more of a lunch place.

https://il-vischio.com/

Tokyo has a very diverse vibrant restaurant scene I'm sure you'll be able to find a great Italian place.  We use Michelin a lot.

https://guide.michelin.com/us/en/tokyo-region/tokyo/restaurants/italian

Regent also has Sette Mari which is Italian.  Its maybe our favorite Regent restaurant for dinner.  Some people think its buffet because its in the same space as La Veranda, its not its full waiter service and full menu with an additional buffet of appys & dessert (like you need that).    Sette Mari is first come first serve so you need to get there when it opens @ 6:30, around 8 for second seating.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:
3 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Regent also has Sette Mari which is Italian.  Its maybe our favorite Regent restaurant for dinner.  Some people think its buffet because its in the same space as La Veranda, its not its full waiter service and full menu with an additional buffet of appys & dessert (like you need that).    Sette Mari is first come first serve so you need to get there when it opens @ 6:30, around 8 for second seating.

The Tokyo tours are quite short in comparison to the HK one's which seem more intensive and include some meals ( the Tokyo ones don't so we will be looking up your recommendations.

We really enjoyed Sette Mari on our one and only (so far) Regent cruise and intend to make good use of same when we visit the Caribbean as there is less choice of alternative restaurants on the Navigator and it will definitely feature on the Asia cruise too.

Many thanks for your advice and guidance - it is much appreciated 😁

5 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

We are looking to add 2 nights in front of our free three nights too.  What category of rooms (eg. Executive levels include breakfast) did you book so that you can connect the reservations and not have to change rooms?  Also does the hotel provide a shuttle from the airport?

47 minutes ago, tango223 said:

We are looking to add 2 nights in front of our free three nights too.  What category of rooms (eg. Executive levels include breakfast) did you book so that you can connect the reservations and not have to change rooms?  Also does the hotel provide a shuttle from the airport?

It was just a basic room and had no problem linking the two.  I am Hilton Gold because of AMEX so we got a free breakfast.  We flew into Narita and NO the Hilton did not have a shuttle, you can check the website but I think they have a shuttle to the train station.  We used a car service from Narita and it was about $230. 

Couple of other things if its the Tokyo Hilton

1) There is a convenience store down the escalator to the right get water/beer /wine etc at a reasonable price.  There are actually several stores down there and the subway I think.

2) If you plan on having lunch at the hotel after an excursion make a reservation ahead, they have like 4 restaurants and we couldn't get in any for lunch (it was a weekend).  Room service was good tho.

3) Its a nice Hilton but VERY crowded, we couldn't get an elevator down because everyone from Regent was going down at the same time.  So we went up to go down.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tango223 said:

Also does the hotel provide a shuttle from the airport?

There is a very comfortable bus from Narita that will take you right to the Hilton (and many other Tokyo hotels), cost about $30 per person. You can buy tickets after you leave baggage claim and they will tell you the number of the bus that goes to Hilton. They run frequently and always on time.

• Like 1

Thank you all for all your helpful hints.  I'm not sure which hotel yet.  I've asked for a quote from Regent to compare, but pretty sure it will be less expensive to book directly.  The bus seems like the less expensive way to get to the hotel.  

As for Hong Kong:  

This was about seven years ago.  Hotel Intercontinental.  Five Star, in my book.  We arrived late at night; met by a Regent representative.  Quick van transfer to Hotel.  Very kind folks at Front Desk.  A Desk Attendant insisted on accompanying us to our room, which was more than adequate, to expedite the normal welcome orientation.  

Next morning's breakfast (more like a Brunch) was either the Best, or one of the Best such breakfasts in our experience.  The restaurant was set up to accommodate at-least five different country preferences at buffet stations.  Traditional English; American; German; Japanese; Chinese.  I have probably left out a country.  Everything fresh.  Could also order from a menu.  

Efficient transfer of our luggage from Suite, via Lobby staging area, to Voyager.    

Put us in a fine state of mind for beginning our extended B/t/B.  Highly recommend Intercontinental.   

GOARMY!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We just learned that Regent is using the Tokyo Hilton for their hotel pre-cruise and pre-free land option. It is waitlisted but we have booked the hotel using the Hilton Honors deal.  We just have to contact the hotel prior to our arrival to make sure we get the same room so we don't have to move when the 3 day Pre-Tokyo Regent portion starts.

6 hours ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

InterContinental is now under renovation.

After it is completed this year, its new name will become, coincidentally, The Regent Hong Kong. 😉

Interesting.  If it's the hotel I'm thinking of, years ago it was called the Regent Hong Kong too - with almost the same logo.  Kowloon side, waterfront setting?

7 minutes ago, Gilly said:

Interesting.  If it's the hotel I'm thinking of, years ago it was called the Regent Hong Kong too - with almost the same logo.  Kowloon side, waterfront setting?

Exactly! In the last century it was The Regent Hong Kong, but rebranded to InterContinental in 2001. Soon it will be converted back with the name Regent again.

Thanks for confirming my memory!  I just looked through a couple of old photo albums - I am sure I have a photo taken there and was trying to recall just when it was.  I believe you're correct, it was indeed "last century"!   Oh my, does that make me feel ancient 😉   There's another hotel we love that used to have that same Regent branding too - now the Four Seasons in Mae Rim, Chaing Mai, Thailand, and lastly (in my memory at least) The Landmark on Marylebone Road in London.  

That Regent/Intercontinental in HK was/is superbly located IMHO.

• Like 2

Last time we were in Hong Kong before a Regent cruise was in 2019 and we arranged our own accommodation at the Marco Polo.

Not the poshest hotel in HK but a good location and, if the ship is docked in Kowloon, very handy to have a short walk to the cruise check-in (with the hotel concierge taking the luggage for us 🙂)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tango223 said:

We just learned that Regent is using the Tokyo Hilton for their hotel pre-cruise and pre-free land option. It is waitlisted but we have booked the hotel using the Hilton Honors deal.  We just have to contact the hotel prior to our arrival to make sure we get the same room so we don't have to move when the 3 day Pre-Tokyo Regent portion starts.

In our experience the hotel staff was very professional & friendly, I sure it won't be a problem.

1 hour ago, flossie009 said:

Not the poshest hotel in HK but a good location and, if the ship is docked in Kowloon, very handy to have a short walk to the cruise check-in (with the hotel concierge taking the luggage for us 🙂)

Exactly @flossie009 we've stayed there - or in one of the other two hotels in that same complex a couple of times and agree, great location.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gilly said:

and lastly (in my memory at least) The Landmark on Marylebone Road in London.  

Pre covid we used to visit the Landmark for their Champagne Sunday brunch every time we were in London but when we were there in March they had stopped doing it. 😭😭 Hopefully as things return to normal they will start it up again as it was fab 😁

• Like 1