Notes from a Navigator Novice: Hong Kong to Singapore

flossie009

Although we have sailed numerous times on all Regent’s other ships this is our first time on Navigator.

We are cruising a 12 night segment of the World Cruise from Hong Kong to Singapore and in subsequent posts we will give our impressions of the ship and some of the ports of call.

1B2B26E4-A7EF-40BF-83F4-C95961D37FDB.thumb.jpeg.bc3bfde6646f3515191c3dcdeefaa02b.jpeg

This cruise is fairly port intensive, and Wi-Fi connectivity has been intermittent, hence we are composing these posts off-line then batch uploading when we get the opportunity

Looking forward to your posts.  I was disappointed that our 2021 World Cruise doesn't include Vietnam.

I note some nasty comments from HotRoot about the passengers on your segment over on the "Regent World Cruises" thread.  I know you are very experienced with Regent, so will value your opinions on this as well as everything else.

There have been some tensions on other lines between segmenters and full cruisers, but have never heard of or experienced such a thing on Regent.

Seven Seas Navigator

Having read some of the not so glowing reports about the ship we approached this cruise, chosen for the itinerary, with some trepidation.

We need not have worried as we have fallen in love with Navigator. It is compact and friendly but, despite its small size, has all the facilities we want during a short to medium length port intensive cruise. 

Navigator feels like you are on board a luxurious ship rather than in a floating hotel

However, it might not be our first choice for a TransAtlantic or for a long cruise with a high proportion of sea days.

We booked an Hgty and were allocated a G window, midship on deck 5

Positives:

• You can get to any location on the ship in minutes
  • With the small numbers on board you get to know your fellow travellers, staff and crew very quickly
  • La Veranda is well configured
  • The Pool Grill and shaded seating is excellent
  • Galileo’s remind us of the Horizon Lounge on Mariner & Voyager, including the relaxed shaded seating outside from where you can watch the ship’s wake
  • Both the Navigator and Stars lounges, along with Galileo’s are excellent venues for pre and post dinner drinks
  • Basic suites are large
  • The theatre (Seven Seas Lounge) has a fabulous rake to the seating ensuring that everyone gets a clear view of the stage
  • There is an excellent forward viewing area on deck 12

Negatives (none seriously affecting our enjoyment)

• Some vibration towards the stern
  • Occasional brown water (clears after running for a few seconds)
  • Shower cubicle is smaller than on other ships
  • Only one speciality restaurant (Prime7), but no worries as the Compass Rose menu is so extensive
  • The outside area aft of Galileos is used by some guests to extend the designated jogging/walking track which disturbs the quiet ambience of the area.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I like your comments on the Navigator.  They are "spot on".  We have sailed on her in the Caribbean and on a trans-Atlantic.  That crossing was the best we have ever done.  There was a group from the NY Theatre Guild on board and they did shows, lectures etc.  Patricia Neal was with them - in a wheelchair - and she spoke beautifully about her life.  I shall never forget that.  Also we were lucky!  We played Trivia with a woman who looked vaguely familiar.  After 3 days I realised that we had done a crossing together on the Cristoforo Colombo in 1971 !!   We lost touch over the years but got back together and are still in touch and see each other from time to time.  Really a wonderful coincidence.   

The only thing I think the Nav. misses is a forward observation lounge or even bar.  I think there used to be one - the forward elevator has a marking for it - but the gym is in its place.  Tooo bad!

Hong Kong (embarkation Fri 08 March)
We arranged our own flights, accommodation and transfers.
Arrived in HK late afternoon on Wednesday 06 March, staying at the Marco Polo hotel.
Sightseeing on Thursday despite very wet weather, and were glad to see Navigator already docked at the Ocean Terminal, alongside the shopping centre behind our hotel.

77c7c75c1b2702b9e294cc5890008c90.jpg

e38de9eef75b47fb264f4eb9f36f28c1.jpg
One of our dining venues in HK, next to the Night Market

After a leisurely breakfast on Friday morning, and final packing of our HK purchases, the hotel concierge walked us and our luggage to the Ocean Terminal check in area. Check-in started on the dot at 12 midday and we were on board very quickly.
Lunch in La Veranda and suites were available at 1:30pm. Luggage was already in our suite so plenty of time to unpack before safety drill and sail away.
Rommel found us a good table in Compass Rose for dinner

Sat 09 March - At Sea
CC Meet & Mingle attracted about 12 guests and it was good to put a face to some of the posters. A mixture of World Cruisers and Segmenters attended.
There are around 150 of the guests on Navigator who are on for the full World Cruise which is at about its half way point.
Lunch and Dinner in Compass Rose today, both delicious.
Entertainment this evening was world champion harmonica player, Cy Leo, from Hong Kong.
Missed the two lecturers, Terry Bishop and Paulette Mitchell but caught their lectures on TV later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by flossie009

Sun 10 March - Da Nang, Vietnam
We took an enjoyable excursion to the world heritage town of Hoi An and then took a late lunch outside by the Pool Grill on our return.
Another enjoyable dinner in Compass Rose followed by the first of four production shows this segment, “The Great American Song Factory”. The singers and dancers are very talented.

0c9911590e9c91bc13c1aa341fcd7fe4.jpg
Buddhist Temple

918aab8738e01884212d5367258f7687.jpg

1fc950bd8f4e117b7db067d22723afc0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by flossie009
  • Like 1

@DavidTheWonderer,

A shame that you will miss Vietnam. It is a vibrant interesting country that is developing rapidly.

I have responded to HotRoot’s recent post, which appears to be somewhat generalised.

@Hambagahle,

Thanks for your observations about Navigator.

Will try to do some more posts later. In the meantime if anyone has any questions about Navigator or the ports on this itinerary do not hesitate to ask.

As an aside, a big shout out to Navigator’s Maintenance Team.

This morning we had a minor flood from our bathroom when the inlet valve to the toilet stuck open and the waste pipe blocked 😱

By lunchtime everything had been fixed, our hallway had been fully dried out and a new section of carpet & underlay had been fitted. All good as new 😁

Flossie great photos and commentary. Glad you are having a lovely cruise and like Navigator. We really feel most comfortable on Navigator and the friendliness just has such a positive feel the moment you board.

Look forward to your updates, enjoy. Thanks,  Jean.

Echoing @liptastic in our thanks for the commentary and news from Navigator.  I agree wholeheartedly, particularly with your observation 

2 hours ago, flossie009 said:

luxurious ship rather than in a floating hotel

Yes, on a wilder and woollier itinerary, she possibly wouldn't be my first choice, but for a gentle pootle around the coast in warm seas, I think she's lovely.

So pleased you got to Hoi An!

Most of all, I'm pleased you Segmenters are behaving yourselves and are not part of the rowdy bunch described elsewhere 😱

For newcomers to Regent and/or cruising, it may be worthwhile for me to mention that choosing between Navigator, Voyager, and Mariner is choosing between three great ships.  I've not been on Explorer, but from what I've heard adding her means choosing between four great ships. So there are no bad choices here, and personally I'll be ecstatic to be on any of them.  That said, my own favourite is Mariner. but obviously it is a close call and "your mileage may vary."

54 minutes ago, DavidTheWonderer said:

For newcomers to Regent and/or cruising, it may be worthwhile for me to mention that choosing between Navigator, Voyager, and Mariner is choosing between three great ships.  I've not been on Explorer, but from what I've heard adding her means choosing between four great ships. So there are no bad choices here, and personally I'll be ecstatic to be on any of them.  That said, my own favourite is Mariner. but obviously it is a close call and "your mileage may vary."

Agreed - Navigator was our first Regent cruise (first cruise ever, actually) and therefore has a special place in our hearts.  We'd always considered her our favorite ship, quirks included, until we sailed on Explorer which edged out Navigator as our favorite.  And we were back on Voyager in January for the first time in years and we'd forgotten how nice THAT ship is, and, well, like David said - there are no bad choices (except maybe choosing to NOT sail on Regent.   :classic_biggrin:)

• Like 1

Sounds great, thanks for the review as you cruise.  We'll be on the Navigator, was worried like you--however I'm happy to hear that the ship isn't like a hotel--that's what we enjoy in cruising, being on a ship that gives you that feeling.  I like the idea about how small it is.  Thanks again, looking forward to more of your report.

Thanks Flossie, I agree about Navigator.  Love that little ship, and really like Galileo's.  But probably not for a lengthy cruise like a WC, nor, for me, a cold weather cruise like Alaska or Greenland.  There was a lot of "togetherness" on our Alaska trip on Navigator, although that wasn't necessarily all bad, just pretty chummy!

Flossie - did Regent somehow make La Veranda larger during the last refurbishment?  I ask because you stated that La Veranda was well configured.  This was not our experience.  When they took part of La Veranda to make Prime 7, it left La Veranda a bit small - it would get so crowded that they had to open the Prime 7 section for lunch to accommodate passengers on sea days.

16 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Flossie - did Regent somehow make La Veranda larger during the last refurbishment?  I ask because you stated that La Veranda was well configured.  This was not our experience.  When they took part of La Veranda to make Prime 7, it left La Veranda a bit small - it would get so crowded that they had to open the Prime 7 section for lunch to accommodate passengers on sea days.

Sorry I cannot help you with an answer to that question as this is the first time we have sailed on Navigator.

However, I somehow doubt if the venue was expanded during the refurb. I am sure someone else can elaborate on what work was done to La Veranda.

I did not say La Veranda was large; simply that it was well laid out - with the serving areas each side and the pasta station in the middle.

9F6064A7-5079-4337-BD8A-A09634091F85.thumb.jpeg.4148f3004fdbed13cd5e2697fcaf55d4.jpeg

8DB4AF1E-DD97-487C-B2ED-400B27210120.thumb.jpeg.95a1c06eb4c0b29ba778e6ac8262f53c.jpeg

We have not found the venue to be overcrowded for lunch but, as you say, overspill can easily be accommodated in the adjacent Prime 7. Also Compass Rose is also open for lunch.

It may be that we have not seen La Veranda at its most crowded. This is a warm weather cruise with only a few sea days; many guests choose to sit outside on the Pool Deck.

Perhaps cold sea days on a TransAtlantic might be more challenging, as it can be in La Veranda on the other ships as well.

It is also good to see the return of a hot dessert each day in La Veranda. I wonder if this is fleet wide?

58743863-1A49-4458-8DC9-98CBAA96FCD9.thumb.jpeg.8c0352657f4621dd6c93e4144d87fdb3.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for the photos.  It is laid out much better than last time I was on the ship and it seems that the layout for the buffet is better than Voyager and Mariner.  

That Warm Flourless Chocolate Cake looks wonderful!  Enjoy your cruise.

Flossie,

Just so you know, the part of the walking track that goes by Galileo's is part of the "official" walking path (11 laps = 1 mile). The people sitting outside on our Amazon cruise seemed not to mind seeing us walkers many times.  Sometimes they would count laps for me!

Some walkers also add the stairs and deck of deck 12.  I don't know how many laps that takes.

Martha

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

Flossie,

Just so you know, the part of the walking track that goes by Galileo's is part of the "official" walking path (11 laps = 1 mile). The people sitting outside on our Amazon cruise seemed not to mind seeing us walkers many times.  Sometimes they would count laps for me!

Some walkers also add the stairs and deck of deck 12.  I don't know how many laps that takes.

Martha

I was just about to post the same thing--it is part of the official walking track.  I have gone many miles on that track, sometimes adding deck 12 as well.

• Like 1

Flossie,

I am enjoying your pictures and commentary on the Navigator.  I haven't sailed on her before, but know many like her over the Voyager or Mariner (which we have sailed before).  The lack of an 'observation lounge' has kept us looking at the other Regent ships.  You said there is a forward looking area near the front.  Is it like the pool deck where some areas are covered and others not?

I enjoyed meeting you on our Panama Canal cruise, and am looking forward to your further pictures and comments on this cruise.

Bob

Forward looking area near the front - actually is IN the very front on the Navigator.  is outside, in front of the gym.  The major complaint I have about the Navigator is a lack of an "Observation lounge".  Gallileos is nice but in the stern.  And a bit small for the size of the ship.  There used to be a bar or something up front (the lift has or had a sign to that...) but it is long gone.