Luggage tracking tags for Android

dalibi

1 hour ago, dalibi said:

Anyone have a recommendation?   Past experience?   Looking for good tags that work with google phone, w/o a paid service.   Thank you.

I just came across what I think your looking for. April, Apple introduced their Air Tags. One cost $29.99 a pack of 4 for $99.00. Did not see any fee attached.

39 minutes ago, skrufy said:

I just came across what I think your looking for. April, Apple introduced their Air Tags. One cost $29.99 a pack of 4 for $99.00. Did not see any fee attached.

Absolutely a bad idea.  Apple Air Tags are only effective if you have an Apple device.  They are not very useful with Androids.  There are some tags for Androids but I believe that they all require the user to pay a monthly fee.

Hank

• Like 1

There have been discussions on two of the boards I follow recently.  There is one currently on page 4 of the HAL board called Best Tracker for airline bags…or something close to that.  It has a good discussion on the Apple and android options.  There is another thread on the Celebrity board.  You could also ask on the Cruise photo and technology board.  EM

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Have you read the whole thread?  EM

Yes.  The whole thread.  In one link the device is limited to only 200-' apparently.  Another device using a cell phone network, which I truly do not understand.   If you know the answer why not share?  Or, if I missed it direct me to that post.  Either would actually be helpful.   

Edited by ldubs

16 hours ago, ldubs said:

This is all new to me.   Are these tracking tags limited to relatively short distances?  

Apple AirTags will show location anywhere there are Apple devices and internet. The interent could be cell or WiFi. Since there are over a billion that means globaly. The AirTag has to be 15 to 30 feets from one of those billion devices to be found since they are connecting with Bluetooth. The device has to have Bluetooth. The AirTag has Bluetooth. AirTags also have precision tracking with recent iPhones where if you are within 15-30 feet is will give distance and direction. So minimium if your bags for example are at XXX airport it will show that. Maximium if you have the latest iPhones and are close it would point to your bag. That is called precision tracking. I misplaced my keys which have an AirTag and found them easily with precision tracking. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Apple AirTags will show location anywhere there are Apple devices and internet. The interent could be cell or WiFi. Since there are over a billion that means globaly. The AirTag has to be 15 to 30 feets from one of those billion devices to be found since they are connecting with Bluetooth. The device has to have Bluetooth. The AirTag has Bluetooth. AirTags also have precision tracking with recent iPhones where if you are within 15-30 feet is will give distance and direction. So minimium if your bags for example are at XXX airport it will show that. Maximium if you have the latest iPhones and are close it would point to your bag. That is called precision tracking. I misplaced my keys which have an AirTag and found them easily with precision tracking. 

Thanks.  Apple's approach seems pretty good.  I looked at the Apple link.  If I recall my iPhone XR is at least one model too old for the precision tracking. But it would still be useful I think.     

12 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Thanks.  Apple's approach seems pretty good.  I looked at the Apple link.  If I recall my iPhone XR is at least one model too old for the precision tracking. But it would still be useful I think.     

Something else it does is you can be reminded that you that you left an item behind. I have an AirTag in my backpack. I was at my sisters house and we went to the movies in their car. I left the backpack at her house to pick up when we returned. Shortly after we left I got a notification that the backpack was left behind. You can turn that off but I find it useful. I really like them and i will buy another 4 pack to put on more items later this year. The precison feature I have only had to use once when I dropped my keys in the dark.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Thanks 1