Yet another dress code question - Vests

goletans

On informal nights, would it be OK for a man to wear a suit vest as a jacket? The word “vest” was originally a French term “veste,” meaning either jacket or sport coat. My husband is packing a zoot suit for formal nights and separating the slacks or coat to wear separately does not work. He REALLY wants to wear his zoot suit, and prefers not to bring another jacket. Thoughts?

• Haha 1

A suggestion. Is it possible for you to up-load a photograph of the 'zoot' suit? If so people will be able to provide advice.

For my 'short' memory 'zoot' suits were the versions provided above with the men in fedoras and draped trousers. Not absolutely sure if that style of dress was from the 30', 40', or 50's. Someone with many more years of male dress style will be able to respond.⁸

I guess you all know that a vest in the UK is an 'undergarment'?  Like a sleeveless low necked T shirt.  I may be wrong, but think  if this is worn as daywear in the US it is known as a wifebeater?

Your vest is our waistcoat.

Lola

3 hours ago, lincslady said:

I guess you all know that a vest in the UK is an 'undergarment'?  Like a sleeveless low necked T shirt.  I may be wrong, but think  if this is worn as daywear in the US it is known as a wifebeater?

Your vest is our waistcoat

Lola

In Australia  your vest is  called a singlet, and originally was an  undergarment, but ended up  as a sleeveless T shirt,  and we have no  need for a waistcoat  as its too damn  hot  !  😉

• Like 1

7 hours ago, goletans said:

Oh, the vest is part of the zoot suit so will be along anyway. He's hoping said vest would work for after dinner in the public spaces, too. 

If you are describing him wearing the trousers and just the vest/waistcoat, I don’t think that would be sufficient without the jacket component.  Trousers and vest/waistcoat is very casual.  Men wore them in the office, but always put on the jacket for visitors or when leaving the office.  However, trousers and the long jacket wold be great.

Just off the Moon on 7-15. On informal night at Atlantide, I saw men either being given a SS jacket to wear or if SS ran out of jackets, the men were turned away from the restaurant.

Here are my observations from the recent cruise.

A. Levi's  or jeans (whatever you call them) seemed to be allowed for men and women on all different dress codes including formal nights

B. Formal night- if you had a jacket with or without a tie, you were OK.

c. Informal night- Men needed a jacket in most restaurants.

Ladies seemed to be given a lot more latitude regarding dress codes so don't sweat the little stuff. I would not worry about the dress code issue and enjoy your cruise. Men can bring at least one jacket (suit or sports coat) and one tie. Pack lightly unless you are shipping your luggage!!

We'll be on the Whisper. The Jim Carey pic is close but the suit is a subtle black stripe with matching vest (more buttons and longer than a waistcoat) with red/black handkerchief and tie. Black hat - no feather. Elegant and eye-catching for sure. Sounds like the vest won't be enough unless the crew is French and speaks fashion ~~~~~~~~

On 7/25/2022 at 3:52 PM, A Tucson Guy said:

Just off the Moon on 7-15. On informal night at Atlantide, I saw men either being given a SS jacket to wear or if SS ran out of jackets, the men were turned away from the restaurant.

A. Levi's  or jeans (whatever you call them) seemed to be allowed for men and women on all different dress codes including formal nights

Ladies seemed to be given a lot more latitude regarding dress codes so don't sweat the little stuff. I would not worry about the dress code issue and enjoy your cruise. Men can bring at least one jacket (suit or sports coat) and one tie. Pack lightly unless you are shipping your luggage!!

On 7/25/2022 at 10:52 AM, A Tucson Guy said:

What a great idea!  For your convenience and for those who are too stubborn or entitled to follow the rules...give them a jacket.... and charge for each use because as with all else...due to covid... they would have to be immediately cleaned for sanitary reasons. Dry cleaning charged to onboard account.

On 7/25/2022 at 7:52 AM, A Tucson Guy said:

My observations from the Moon crossing earlier this year would not match yours.  Atlantide was a tightly run operation regarding dress code.   No tie did not work on formal nights.  Jackets offered, but what self respecting guy would wear one?  Just the thought gives me the creeps.

17 hours ago, fizzy said:

What a great idea!  For your convenience and for those who are too stubborn or entitled to follow the rules...give them a jacket.... and charge for each use because as with all else...due to covid... they would have to be immediately cleaned for sanitary reasons. Dry cleaning charged to onboard account.

And the jackets should be purple or green or pink.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...