The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday July 25th, 2022

richwmn

Thank you Rich for the Daily and all who contribute. Start of the week so lots of things to get done. I had a great weekend with the grandson. We went exploring old haunted grave yards. I saw the resting place of Joe Cain who is claimed to be responsible for starting the Mardi Grau in the US. History is always so interesting and walking around a two hundred year old cemetery helps make it come to life for a teenager. Then we went to dinner in town. I am so lucky to be able to spend time with him. 

For a short trip of 14 days or a long trip of 40 I still pack only a carry on and just enjoy the laundry service. If someone notices that I've worn the same blouse twice I hope they like it because sometime they will probable see it again. 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I'm certainly not a culinarian, do enjoy an occasional chili dog, and thread the needle a lot when sewing.  I chuckled at today's quote because it's true. 

It's a grey, cloudy day out there this morning - we had rain overnight and it is supposed to continue until around noon which means I won't have to water either the plants or lawn.  I do know the rain will help the crops around the province; when we went to visit our friends, we saw that the crops along the way (mainly canola and wheat) were looking very nice.  The canola is blooming a brilliant yellow, which would look great if we were in an airplane looking down at the prairies.  Hopefully there will be a bumper crop that can be harvested fully so we can help lessen the world's food shortage.

With all the issues people are having with luggage and flying, I just heard on the news that WestJet has reached a tentative agreement with the airport workers (customer service agents, baggage handlers, etc.) so they won't be going on strike - yay!

Not a lot on the agenda today, likely just laundry and general house cleaning.  I don't need to cook today because we had lots of leftovers from yesterday's barbecue.  I'll add in a tossed salad and that will round out our plates of pork chops and dilled potatoes for dinner tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra for the people of Ukraine and all who are helping them.  Extra for the Canadian and 2 American volunteer soldiers who lost their lives this weekend in their attempt to provide assistance.  We'll raise the glasses this evening to toast all on the happy list.  Stay safe, get your boosters, wear masks when needed and be well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 31

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report. @0106 the recipes and pictures look very good.  It’s slightly cooler today, only in the upper 80’s instead of 100+.  This morning has been busy with work and will probably stay that way this week.

I find myself debating on whether or not to make the upcoming final payment on our November cruise.  This would be two weeks on the NA and we have all the perks one would want.  I’m not concerned about C but more will flights go as scheduled.  I will take insurance if we move forward.  Not sure why this one concerns me.

I hope everyone has a good day today.

For our dog lovers.

image.png.35e76d64489af6efded001fd81559496.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Good morning all!

We'll have low 80's F today, heading up to high 80's for a couple days.  Summer has finally arrived in the PNW! I'm very glad we got our A/C unit installed this spring.  This house holds the heat.

My favorite culinarian is Alberto from Milan, who owned our favorite Italian restaurant for 20 years.  He became a fixture in Skagit Valley.  During Covid he sold the restaurant and went into semi-retirement, cooking his wonderful meals from a food truck 4 days/week!  BFF and I had lunch from his food truck last week -- it was so good to see him again.

Not a fan of chili dogs, and I've threaded many a needle in my life.  Love the quote, will pass on the meal unless beef is substituted for the mushrooms.  Will pass on the drink and wine, I don't care for stainless chardonnay, prefer a tiny bit of oak.

@marshhawkAnn you've gotten some good advice about packing for Alaska.  You asked what we wear on Gala nights -- for me, my Gala wear is all very light-weight and wrinkle-free, so very easy to pack.  A cocktail dress, or dressy slacks or skirt with a sparkly top does it for me. I add a bit more jewelry than on other nights.   It's been a long time since men have been required to wear jackets (much to DH's delight), so DH usually wears dress slacks and dress shirts and ties with dress shoes.  

@aliaschiefBruce I hope you're feeling better now!

@kazuJacqui thank you for the photos of your beautiful flowers.

I hope everyone has a great day!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Cool this morning, but still no rain. And when I stepped off the patio with dogs I had to dodge a huge pile of bear scat!!!!! Right up against the steps. Guess it is that time of year when they start to bulk up for the winter.... already.  Very fresh, too. Wonder what he was looking for on the patio....no food there. 

The meal looks good. Haven't been to the port although I have done many trips to Mexico. Am looking for a something for this winter. Have been through Panama Canal a number of times but would not object to another trip.

Off to the shelter for awhile.... then home to clean and I have a couple of area rugs that need to be washed. Monty is doing his best to follow the house rules but he still has accidents. For an older Chihuahua he is doing pretty well. 

Susan

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning All,

We have low clouds that will undoubtedly burn off to hot sun. The meal looks delicious, and I plan to pick up the ingredients and make it tonight.

Getting ready for our big costuming conference at the end of the week.

We we’re in La Paz a few months ago. We took the HAL excursion that went snorkeling, and the beach was beautiful. I’ll look for pictures.

Have a great day everyone!

F2A69435-449D-46C6-BE41-C4C76E8C4285.jpeg

5105A838-5708-4AAF-8190-37E51D929E6B.jpeg

04089E8F-E866-4F4D-9569-6B10D71D26C9.jpeg

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 4

Good morning from central Texas, and weather wise, it's the same.

I salute all Culinarians, especially the hard working line cooks, who do most of the work in restaurant kitchens.  We like chili dogs, but won't be having them today.  I have a ribeye thawing in the refrigerator which we ill cook on the electric grill inside.  Threading the needle day has several meanings from the literal one to sports metaphors to a yoga pose and others.

The Lemony Snicket quote is interesting, and fate can throw some curve balls.

We'll pass on the meal, drink and wine.

@aliaschief  I hope you are feeling better.

@cat shepard  Ann, the girls picked a good meme for their last one.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, great picture of Ren with his coach and all his trophies and medals.  He certainly had a great tournament.

@marshhawk  The advice you've been given is all good advice.  In the past few years, gala now dressy nights in the MDR are not nearly as dressy as in the past., and Alaska cruises are also totally different since, people do not dress up as much in the MDR.  I have reached the point where I take two long, lightweight skirts with nice knit, sweater like tops that I pair with slightly dressier sandals.  DH takes two long sleeved dress shirts to wear with his black slacks and dress shoes.  He may add a navy cardigan if the ship is chilly, but no coat or a tie.  For day time, layers work well in Alaska, along with a hooded jacket or coat that should be waterproof.  For glacier viewing we add gloves.  I also take one pair of shorts and a pair of sandals for the odd warm day in Alaska and for wearing in Victoria at times.  We even had a day in Ketchikan where it was sunny and and 82F, but that is rare there.

@ger_77  Glad you got rain.

@kazu  Jacqui, thanks for the pictures of your flowers.

We have been to La Paz once in March 2018, on Ruby Princess.  It is a nice town to walk around.  We also hired a boat on the dock to take us out of see the whale sharks.

A few pictures from our walk around La Paz.  When we got off the shuttle from Puerto de Pichilingue, we saw this whale skeleton display.

DSC04719.thumb.JPG.f8383a98adb5dc7042717097959244e0.JPG

We walked down this street to the Teatro de Juarez.

DSC04724.thumb.JPG.dd8520520ffbf33ec67c576a7b5fa112.JPG

DSC04725.thumb.JPG.5f9b7d4dd41734cccd557dedc25cfebd.JPG

The Cathedral de Nuestra Senora de La Paz

DSC04731.thumb.JPG.4adc2530b6c99fe7269830604f3d2a2a.JPG

DSC04727.thumb.JPG.35e735d0592aece0808d5fd6888e2506.JPG

Jardin Velasco across the street from the Cathedral

DSC04732.thumb.JPG.e777ca3a90be053a782ac5c74af91059.JPG

We also saw this museum and spent some time inside.

DSC04733.thumb.JPG.99c9e41961f333c34d6140c1fde6db36.JPG

We then headed back to the Malecon La Paz, where we found a boat to take us out to see the whale sharks.  We followed one shark as we was swimming, and he was as long or longer than the boat.  Our boat was like the ones pictured, but we were the only passengers.

DSC04766.thumb.JPG.22ae7d9a4f70c550389ca301a21bc73b.JPG

People were swimming with the shark, but as you can see, the swimmer was having to work to keep up.

DSC04774.thumb.JPG.8e8928d4c88988ecafa267982b16c55a.JPG

My point and shoot camera is waterproof and DH took some pictures by leaning over the side and holding the camera underwater.  It helped that the shark was near the surface.  This is the best of the underwater pictures.  At one point we probably could have touched the shark, but we were told not to do so.

DSC04772.thumb.JPG.da0cbcbea3cafff952434f1d853d1495.JPG

DSC04784.thumb.JPG.412479450e49dadc51c6ddbccbb1ef8f.JPG

The pier and the beach along with some of the sculptures on the Malecon.

DSC04789.thumb.JPG.4741e34dfc5c90f8daca02b4f4ce379b.JPG

DSC04787.thumb.JPG.2c16c73d0d06ffca49f00689790f373f.JPG

DSC04792.thumb.JPG.de5dd87a8708a39a5c36af01d3c67cbe.JPG

DSC04793.thumb.JPG.be775ee6f1b1b732ba06dcaf643a539d.JPG

DSC04794.thumb.JPG.71e3c09233100bc1c73067bee872aec0.JPG

One of the many restaurants across the street from the Malecon.

DSC04795.thumb.JPG.8d217903c67a6711fe9286d70b196b99.JPG

Naturally, there was a shopping opportunity when we returned to the port.  This is just a small portion of the booths.

DSC04796.thumb.JPG.10a424873db1b89e11b391c4b90cb547.JPG

The port area from our balcony as we sailed.

DSC04798.thumb.JPG.ceb939bb49a51238681ed2381f236db1.JPG

Lenda

• Like 23
  • Thanks 6

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Interesting days. I like to cook and bake. Never had a chili dog. I used to do cross-stitching, but can't with my eyesight right now. The quote is true. I'll pass on the wine, drink and maybe take the meal with beef.

I haven't been to Pichilingue. Thanks for the pictures.

There were more storms overnight, but the power stayed on. However, in the area where I think there is a roof leak, a chunk of ceiling plaster came down. Luckily I knew what the noise was as I lay in bed this morning. I called a roofer, who I had planned to use for a possible roofing replacement, and he'll come out on Saturday. I figure maybe he can at least put up a tarp or something for now. It's always something! At least it's not quite as hot; I got my electric bill today and costs have sure gone up! I'm baking a loaf of bread since it's not too hot.

@aliaschief I hope your stomach is feeling better today. Thanks for the pictures. I'll pass on the haggis!

@StLouisCruisers Great picture of Ren and his coach. I hope his leg is feeling better quickly. Love DD's tree.

@kazu I enjoy your flower pictures.

@ottahand7 Sorry to hear about the monarch larva. Sad to hear about the 2 US men who lost their lives in Ukraine, as is the whole situation in Ukraine.

@durangoscots Wow, a bear that close; be careful.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from central Texas, and weather wise, it's the same.

I salute all Culinarians, especially the hard working line cooks, who do most of the work in restaurant kitchens.  We like chili dogs, but won't be having them today.  I have a ribeye thawing in the refrigerator which we ill cook on the electric grill inside.  Threading the needle day has several meanings from the literal one to sports metaphors to a yoga pose and others.

The Lemony Snicket quote is interesting, and fate can throw some curve balls.

We'll pass on the meal, drink and wine.

@aliaschief  I hope you are feeling better.

@cat shepard  Ann, the girls picked a good meme for their last one.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, great picture of Ren with his coach and all his trophies and medals.  He certainly had a great tournament.

@marshhawk  The advice you've been given is all good advice.  In the past few years, gala now dressy nights in the MDR are not nearly as dressy as in the past., and Alaska cruises are also totally different since, people do not dress up as much in the MDR.  I have reached the point where I take two long, lightweight skirts with nice knit, sweater like tops that I pair with slightly dressier sandals.  DH takes two long sleeved dress shirts to wear with his black slacks and dress shoes.  He may add a navy cardigan if the ship is chilly, but no coat or a tie.  For day time, layers work well in Alaska, along with a hooded jacket or coat that should be waterproof.  For glacier viewing we add gloves.  I also take one pair of shorts and a pair of sandals for the odd warm day in Alaska and for wearing in Victoria at times.  We even had a day in Ketchikan where it was sunny and and 82F, but that is rare there.

@ger_77  Glad you got rain.

@kazu  Jacqui, thanks for the pictures of your flowers.

We have been to La Paz once in March 2018, on Ruby Princess.  It is a nice town to walk around.  We also hired a boat on the dock to take us out of see the whale sharks.

A few pictures from our walk around La Paz.  When we got off the shuttle from Puerto de Pichilingue, we saw this whale skeleton display.

DSC04719.thumb.JPG.f8383a98adb5dc7042717097959244e0.JPG

We walked down this street to the Teatro de Juarez.

DSC04724.thumb.JPG.dd8520520ffbf33ec67c576a7b5fa112.JPG

DSC04725.thumb.JPG.5f9b7d4dd41734cccd557dedc25cfebd.JPG

The Cathedral de Nuestra Senora de La Paz

DSC04731.thumb.JPG.4adc2530b6c99fe7269830604f3d2a2a.JPG

DSC04727.thumb.JPG.35e735d0592aece0808d5fd6888e2506.JPG

Jardin Velasco across the street from the Cathedral

DSC04732.thumb.JPG.e777ca3a90be053a782ac5c74af91059.JPG

We also saw this museum and spent some time inside.

DSC04733.thumb.JPG.99c9e41961f333c34d6140c1fde6db36.JPG

We then headed back to the Malecon La Paz, where we found a boat to take us out to see the whale sharks.  We followed one shark as we was swimming, and he was as long or longer than the boat.  Our boat was like the ones pictured, but we were the only passengers.

DSC04766.thumb.JPG.22ae7d9a4f70c550389ca301a21bc73b.JPG

People were swimming with the shark, but as you can see, the swimmer was having to work to keep up.

DSC04774.thumb.JPG.8e8928d4c88988ecafa267982b16c55a.JPG

My point and shoot camera is waterproof and DH took some pictures by leaning over the side and holding the camera underwater.  It helped that the shark was near the surface.  This is the best of the underwater pictures.  At one point we probably could have touched the shark, but we were told not to do so.

DSC04772.thumb.JPG.da0cbcbea3cafff952434f1d853d1495.JPG

DSC04784.thumb.JPG.412479450e49dadc51c6ddbccbb1ef8f.JPG

The pier and the beach along with some of the sculptures on the Malecon.

DSC04789.thumb.JPG.4741e34dfc5c90f8daca02b4f4ce379b.JPG

DSC04787.thumb.JPG.2c16c73d0d06ffca49f00689790f373f.JPG

DSC04792.thumb.JPG.de5dd87a8708a39a5c36af01d3c67cbe.JPG

DSC04793.thumb.JPG.be775ee6f1b1b732ba06dcaf643a539d.JPG

DSC04794.thumb.JPG.71e3c09233100bc1c73067bee872aec0.JPG

One of the many restaurants across the street from the Malecon.

DSC04795.thumb.JPG.8d217903c67a6711fe9286d70b196b99.JPG

Naturally, there was a shopping opportunity when we returned to the port.  This is just a small portion of the booths.

DSC04796.thumb.JPG.10a424873db1b89e11b391c4b90cb547.JPG

The port area from our balcony as we sailed.

DSC04798.thumb.JPG.ceb939bb49a51238681ed2381f236db1.JPG

Lenda

Thank you  for  posting these beautiful photos. 

Lenda  you could get a  job on the ships.

Jim.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, irishjim said:

Thank you  for  posting these beautiful photos. 

Lenda  you could get a  job on the ships.

Jim.

Thank you, Jim.  But if I had a job on the ships, I wouldn't be able to see all the interesting places and take my photos.  Besides, work is a four-letter word.  🤣

Lenda

• Like 8
  • Haha 10

Good afternoon from beautiful Southwest Florida.

Little late today as The Daily wasn't up this AM when I took off for the golf course, I should have stayed home, lousy round as my tempo is off because my back is still sore, still won some money with a Closest to the Pin on #14

Not sure about the quote. 

I love Chili and like Hotdogs but a Chili Dog has never appealed to me so I've never tried one.

DW is a knitter and a cross stitcher so I guess she would appreciate Threading the Needle Day.

Though we've been to Mexico many times we've never been to the port.

Thanks for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

• Like 20

Good Afternoon All,  I had a craving for some chocolate and tried the chocolate covered potato chips we bought in Charlottetown   They are very good.  Based on what was left they are DH approved too.😂. We picked these up at the Anne of Green Gables Chocolate store downtown.  If we had sampled them in the store we would have bought a lot more.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Good afternoon/evening from the Rotterdam.  We had a lazy sea day today heading towards Flam.  Currently, the forecast for Flam is 58 and rainy.  

The waiters in Club Orange delight in bringing me extra vegetables.  Last night I got a huge plate of Brussels Sprouts and tonight a full plate of asparagus.  

As we were leaving Rotterdam yesterday we got a glimpse of the Volendam.152299B8-55AC-47A4-B4ED-FE1FE621DCE6.thumb.jpeg.62d271fddd06ae1b4fea946236a12a0d.jpeg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4

Back from the shelter. When I arrived there were a couple of police cars there..... we had another attempted break in which resulted in major damage to one of the outer gates of a play yard. Drat!! another expense. We do have good pictures from the security cameras but since the perps are usually from the homeless camp it really does not help much.  I don't know what they think they are going to find. We will give them dog food if they need it..... they certainly do not need any dogs. We clearly show no cash left overnight. Who knows.

My haircut will have to wait a day or so according to my hairdresser..... she has grandchild issues. Double drat!!

The meal of the day looks good. And, I love haggis.

Back to cleaning and maybe doing some laundry.

Susan

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, marshhawk said:

My question is, how much do you pack, or what do you pack for a 14 + cruise.  The two guys are hemming and hawing about having to pack fancy outfits for dinner (me too actually) to see if we can actually pack all in a small suitcase, and not have so much to carry around or pay extra for the luggage.

Pack like a 7 day cruise, except for medication. Laundry on board is cheaper than paying to fly an extra suitcase, so make use of it. Don’t learn the hard way that the closet in your cabin is the same size for a long cruise that it is for a 7 day cruise. Wear layers, so you aren’t taking up luggage space with heavy pieces that won’t see much use. You cover a bigger temperature range for less space that way.
Alaska cruises are more rustic than formal. They call the Gala nights ‘Dressy Nights’. Dress pants, a good dress shirt, and a tie will do for the guys without packing a bulky suit jacket. If there’s two Dressy Nights, a different tie makes a different outfit. I take black palazzo pants that roll up to nothing for packing. A dressy top and a little bling and I’m good to go. On long cruises, I buy a new top now and then as my next Gala top and a souvenir I’ll get use out of later.

You're going to have such a great time on this cruise, and you deserve it!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Interesting days. I like to cook and bake. Never had a chili dog. I used to do cross-stitching, but can't with my eyesight right now. The quote is true. I'll pass on the wine, drink and maybe take the meal with beef.

I haven't been to Pichilingue. Thanks for the pictures.

There were more storms overnight, but the power stayed on. However, in the area where I think there is a roof leak, a chunk of ceiling plaster came down. Luckily I knew what the noise was as I lay in bed this morning. I called a roofer, who I had planned to use for a possible roofing replacement, and he'll come out on Saturday. I figure maybe he can at least put up a tarp or something for now. It's always something! At least it's not quite as hot; I got my electric bill today and costs have sure gone up! I'm baking a loaf of bread since it's not too hot.

@aliaschief I hope your stomach is feeling better today. Thanks for the pictures. I'll pass on the haggis!

@StLouisCruisers Great picture of Ren and his coach. I hope his leg is feeling better quickly. Love DD's tree.

@kazu I enjoy your flower pictures.

@ottahand7 Sorry to hear about the monarch larva. Sad to hear about the 2 US men who lost their lives in Ukraine, as is the whole situation in Ukraine.

@durangoscots Wow, a bear that close; be careful.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

Vanessa, I hope the roofer can stop the leak.  

3 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

Good afternoon from beautiful Southwest Florida.

Little late today as The Daily wasn't up this AM when I took off for the golf course, I should have stayed home, lousy round as my tempo is off because my back is still sore, still won some money with a Closest to the Pin on #14

Not sure about the quote. 

I love Chili and like Hotdogs but a Chili Dog has never appealed to me so I've never tried one.

DW is a knitter and a cross stitcher so I guess she would appreciate Threading the Needle Day.

Though we've been to Mexico many times we've never been to the port.

Thanks for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

I hope the back improves soon so you can enjoy your golf game more.

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Good afternoon/evening from the Rotterdam.  We had a lazy sea day today heading towards Flam.  Currently, the forecast for Flam is 58 and rainy.  

The waiters in Club Orange delight in bringing me extra vegetables.  Last night I got a huge plate of Brussels Sprouts and tonight a full plate of asparagus.  

As we were leaving Rotterdam yesterday we got a glimpse of the Volendam.152299B8-55AC-47A4-B4ED-FE1FE621DCE6.thumb.jpeg.62d271fddd06ae1b4fea946236a12a0d.jpeg

Debbie, glad you are enjoying the cruise and that the waiters in Club Orange are taking great care of you.  Thanks for the picture of the Volendam.

6 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Cool this morning, but still no rain. And when I stepped off the patio with dogs I had to dodge a huge pile of bear scat!!!!! Right up against the steps. Guess it is that time of year when they start to bulk up for the winter.... already.  Very fresh, too. Wonder what he was looking for on the patio....no food there. 

The meal looks good. Haven't been to the port although I have done many trips to Mexico. Am looking for a something for this winter. Have been through Panama Canal a number of times but would not object to another trip.

Off to the shelter for awhile.... then home to clean and I have a couple of area rugs that need to be washed. Monty is doing his best to follow the house rules but he still has accidents. For an older Chihuahua he is doing pretty well. 

Susan

Susan, I hope the bear has moved on out of the area.  Please be careful.

1 hour ago, durangoscots said:

Back from the shelter. When I arrived there were a couple of police cars there..... we had another attempted break in which resulted in major damage to one of the outer gates of a play yard. Drat!! another expense. We do have good pictures from the security cameras but since the perps are usually from the homeless camp it really does not help much.  I don't know what they think they are going to find. We will give them dog food if they need it..... they certainly do not need any dogs. We clearly show no cash left overnight. Who knows.

My haircut will have to wait a day or so according to my hairdresser..... she has grandchild issues. Double drat!!

The meal of the day looks good. And, I love haggis.

Back to cleaning and maybe doing some laundry.

Susan

Susan, what a shame that after all hte work, there is damage to the gate because of an attempted break in.  I hope your insurance will cover the repairs and /or replacement.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, richwmn said:

For the first time in a very long time, the current Fleet Report / Daily dropped off the first page.

What does this mean?  I still see the Fleet report on the first page (1st post)

• Like 5

Just now, 0106 said:

What does this mean?  I still see the Fleet report on the first page (1st post)

As new posts are added to threads, or new threads are created, the old threads migrate down the page and eventually to the second and later pages. When I added a post, the thread was placed back at the top of the first page and will slowly move down if no one adds anything else.

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I've noticed that the Fleet Report/Daily has been slow, for want of a better word, the last couple of days

Is it the heat? Are many of us on vacation?  Still a fair number of posts imo: in reverse chronological order.

today 48, Sunday 55, Saturday 78, Friday 85, Thursday 110, Wednesday 76, Tuesday 102

• Like 5