Irons in Staterooms?

Yes I know...basic question...  

Ovation August 5.  Bringing some nice shirts for formal nights, and just want to dress up some.  Being as everything with be packed into suitcases, is there an iron in the stateroom to get the wrinkles out?

Thanks!

1 minute ago, Mikewa said:

Ovation August 5.  Bringing some nice shirts for formal nights, and just want to dress up some.  Being as everything with be packed into suitcases, is there an iron in the stateroom to get the wrinkles out?

Thanks!

Nope. And you can’t get one. Try Downey Wrinkle Release or just hang in the bathroom and run a hot shower. I’ve also spritzed with some water and hit with the blow dryer. I do all these things at home since I don’t have an iron. If something requires ironing, I simply don’t own it. You can send items out for ironing. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, gerif said:

Nope. And you can’t get one. Try Downey Wrinkle Release or just hang in the bathroom and run a hot shower. I’ve also spritzed with some water and hit with the blow dryer. I do all these things at home since I don’t have an iron. If something requires ironing, I simply don’t own it. You can send items out for ironing. 

Thanks - yeah I had a feeling.  I understand the reasoning for not having them onboard. just as long as I'm not the only person with wrinkles.

Nope:

The best you can do is send them down to be "Pressed". Just get with your cabin steward, fill out the "Laundry" paperwork and it will be returned back by the next night (usually). 

PS: The price for "pressing" should be 1/2 the price of a complete washing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mikewa said:

Thanks!

The good news is no. The even better news is you won't look any less wrinkled than the rest of us. Well at least your clothes. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, island lady said:

No irons...no candles...no knives...no drones...no shotguns...no grenades....the list goes on. 

And even worse...no booze!!  😮   OK...you can bring on your two bottles of wine.  😉 

Nunchuks!  No nunchuks!

• Like 1

No irons...no candles...no knives...no drones...no shotguns...no grenades....the list goes on. 

And even worse...no booze!!  😮   OK...you can bring on your two bottles of wine.  😉 

You can bring drones onboard.  You just can't fly them on the ship:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/can-guests-bring-drones-onboard

14 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Nunchuks!  No nunchuks!

DAMN!  Well .... so much for the demonstration I was planning on giving in the Promenade.

lee.gif

Edited by ramja96
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Ret MP said:

You can bring drones onboard.  You just can't fly them on the ship:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/can-guests-bring-drones-onboard

Ahh...that's right...as long as they are packed up and stay that way.  😉  

Funny story.  Was in our cabin talking to the hubby...who had his back to the balcony.  I looked beyond him to see a drone hovering just outside the balcony.   We both walked out, grabbing our ever present binoculars we travel with to watch it quickly fly away.   We were at port in San Juan. Was able to track the drone to 20 something young man on roof top of parking garage.  Obviously he saw us with the binoculars.  He grabbed it right away tossed it into his truck and drove off quickly.  

Yes...illegal to fly a drone near a cruise ship as well.  And this one was obviously a peeping Tom drone.  😮 

• Haha 2

Yes...illegal to fly a drone near a cruise ship as well.  And this one was obviously a peeping Tom drone.  😮 

It appears that the Messaging feature in this forum is disabled and I'm relatively new to this Cruise Critic Forum.  But, I'm not new to cruising social media or cruising.  I tried to message you with this but can't.  I'm an avid recreational drone flyer (it is officially "Pilot", but I don't like to raise myself to that level) and I am very protective of preserving our right to fly and pointing out incorrect information about drone flying.  So, I'm sorry that I feel that I must correct some information like this.  It has nothing to do with you personally.

In and of itself, flying near or even above a cruise ship is NOT illegal.  The cruise line may have a policy/rule that they don't want its passengers flying drones from onboard their ship.  But, it is not ILLEGAL.  In the USA the only authority that can control airspace is the FAA (exclusive jurisdiction), with only a very very exceptions like the National Park Service.  A cruise line can only make policy and if you don't comply, they can remove you from the ship. 

If the FAA has a permanent or temporary "no fly zone" where ever the ship is, than yes, it is illegal to fly in that zone.  For example, Port Everglades is within the FLL airspace/no fly zone, so it is illegal to fly a drone there.  But, the Port of Miami, for the most part, is not and flying a drone there is legal unless there is temporary restrictions.  Under new and current FAA regulations, it is legal to fly over people and vehicles, just not sustained flight.  

Having said all that, Yes it is illegal to fly a drone at the Cruise Port in San Juan because it is controlled by the FAA.  ALSO, Peeping Tom is always illegal and not ethical, obviously.

Porto Rico does fall under FAA jurisdiction.    

Again, I wish the messaging feature was available and this is not personal.  There is a lot of incorrect information going around out there.    

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

It appears that the Messaging feature in this forum is disabled and I'm relatively new to this Cruise Critic Forum.  But, I'm not new to cruising social media or cruising.  I tried to message you with this but can't.  I'm an avid recreational drone flyer (it is officially "Pilot", but I don't like to raise myself to that level) and I am very protective of preserving our right to fly and pointing out incorrect information about drone flying.  So, I'm sorry that I feel that I must correct some information like this.  It has nothing to do with you personally.

In and of itself, flying near or even above a cruise ship is NOT illegal.  The cruise line may have a policy/rule that they don't want its passengers flying drones from onboard their ship.  But, it is not ILLEGAL.  In the USA the only authority that can control airspace is the FAA (exclusive jurisdiction), with only a very very exceptions like the National Park Service.  A cruise line can only make policy and if you don't comply, they can remove you from the ship. 

If the FAA has a permanent or temporary "no fly zone" where ever the ship is, than yes, it is illegal to fly in that zone.  For example, Port Everglades is within the FLL airspace/no fly zone, so it is illegal to fly a drone there.  But, the Port of Miami, for the most part, is not and flying a drone there is legal unless there is temporary restrictions.  Under new and current FAA regulations, it is legal to fly over people and vehicles, just not sustained flight.  

Having said all that, Yes it is illegal to fly a drone at the Cruise Port in San Juan because it is controlled by the FAA.  ALSO, Peeping Tom is always illegal and not ethical, obviously.

Porto Rico does fall under FAA jurisdiction.    

Again, I wish the messaging feature was available and this is not personal.  There is a lot of incorrect information going around out there.    

Just curious, is the FAA regulation at Port Everglades because of the Coast Guard base there?

Also, who regulates the laws about drones over private homes and other private property? 

One final question if you don’t mind, as a corrections employee I’ve learned there’s been speculation that one way contraband has been coming in is through drones. Who decides whether to restrict drones from flying over correctional facilities and other secure locations?

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

On NCL, they're happy to hook you up: (sorry, blurry image)

i-bxvJb8c-L.jpg

Tom

Princess also provides irons, but not in the cabins. There’s a laundromat on every deck with washers, dryers and irons. It’s one of the few things on my “Princess v. Royal” pros and cons lists that goes to Princess when all else is equal, especially on those 14+ day sailings.  Even as someone with enough status for free laundry service, I appreciate the laundromat when I don’t want my jeans shrunk to junior sizes. 

• Like 2

On 7/26/2022 at 12:01 PM, Mikewa said:

Thanks - yeah I had a feeling.  I understand the reasoning for not having them onboard. just as long as I'm not the only person with wrinkles.

We use the Downey Wrinkle Release and it's really really good. Not 100% but give your clothes a good spritz and hang them in the closet. 10 minute later, you'll be amazed at how many wrinkles are gone.

Alternatively, send your clothes to be pressed. I used to do that literally the moment we got to our cabin. I would put the clothes out for the room steward so the first time he/she came into the room, they would take my clothes to be pressed. But the Downy solution works so well I don't bother any more. 

4 hours ago, island lady said:

Actually not illegal to fly near a cruise ship. The Cruise Spotter has been posting spectacular drone footage of the ships leaving Miami and other ports along with some ports of call on his YouTube and TikTok channels. His nighttime work is absolutely stunning. Especially the Royal ships and the Scarlet Lady. 

https://www.youtube.com/c/TheCruiseSpotter

Edited by WheresWalter