The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday July 27th, 2022

richwmn

Thanks for our Hump Day Daily, Rich.

Well, I won’t be taking any houseplants for a walk today but depending on how she is when she arrives, with luck I will take Shadow for a little one.  Love bagpipes - especially arriving on a BHB.  I’ll pass on the stilts - I’d fall 😂 

Love Camus’ quote.  So true.  @0106an especially good job today.  Conchas are difficult to make.  It’s one thing I failed at and they are delicious.  Looks like a “win win” day with the meal and the wine.  Thanks @cat shepardfor the description.  Been to St. Petersburg twice.  The first time we did HAL tours.  The 2nd time we did private - BIG difference and saw so much more with fewer lines.  Definitely private is better in this city.  I’m glad we went when we did - I doubt I would ever want to go now after what they have done to Ukraine 😡 

I meant to get back to the Daily yesterday and multi quote a slew of people but time got away on me.  Sorry.

1AE25D9E-B684-4F7A-BEF6-AE40119B7AEF.jpeg.839272a86bd9ae7bfb649b9ca73b3049.jpeg

I was busy putting a kennel together, fluffing up a new bed and cooking chicken and rice broth.  Yup, Shadow is in the air and on the way here.  Too late to second guess or change my mind now 😬 Here she is in Toronto - you can see the fear in her eyes and face.  

4F0EDB55-84E6-4004-8B62-2E88555988E9.thumb.jpeg.dd50afabb421f256e03eb572867f3730.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Wednesday everyone.

F1C32373-EE4B-41B0-8B26-16446D4C4BB5.thumb.jpeg.9573bc61b95e4e59abe4c0082579a04a.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

54 minutes ago, ChaCr said:

Hi Roy

I can't find anything in the news about the locks that lead to Amsterdam.  I've searched for several days now CNN and BBC, as well as the Internet with no luck in finding any information.

What happened there that the locks are on your Care List?

As always, thanks for your posts and keeping up with everything.

Charles

Adjusted passage regime at IJmuiden sea lock affects calls at Cruise Port Amsterdam

• Like 14
  • Thanks 8

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

Crazy weather day yesterday. Had rain squalls most of the day with high winds and marine warnings. Nothing had been predicted. Said later it was a tropical storm that started off the keys and came up the coast. 

I wonder who determines the " days". Like who would give taking your plants for a walk a day? LOL

We were scheduled to go to St Petersburg in the April of 2020 which got cancelled.  Have no interest in going now.

@kazu    Enjoy Shadow. Hope she arrives safely and her fear can subside. 

@superoma     A very Happy Birthday to you. Hope you have many more.

Not much going on here today. Water aerobics and then a trip to the library.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.It us a little cooler again today and will reach normal temps in the mid eighties  later.We went to St Petersburg  on the Eurodam  and very much enjoyed seeing The Hermitage. It was August,hot and crowded and a little daunting  for a short person like me.I had a gard time keeping our guide within sight.I  would not go there now  and I am surprised  that it is listed on some itineraries. 

@kazu, Shadow will love her new home and I am sure you  can help her with your prior experience. I am sorry I used " he" yesterday  in reference to her.I think all dogs are male like our two, haha.

We have a bagpiper on our street who looks impressive when dressed to play at an Emerald Society function. The entire street can hear him practicing. Sometimes dogs start to howl.

I am not a baker either so will pass on the recipe today.The Ropa Viejo  recipe was made with 2 instapots.DD made the portobello  one and I made the meat one.We had a feast last night and there  is enough for more  tonight.Yes!

We found out yesterday that our very kind neighbor  and occasional  Tana transporter has covid again. His wife is also positive  but the two teenagers are negative  so far.Our teenager is with them a great deal so we have tested and hope he will not get it.

Terry

• Like 22
  • Thanks 5

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Last night I was able to sleep with the windows open, one of the better nights of rest since we got home.  I’m hoping that continues.  At first I thought no way on today’s meal suggestion.  @0106 recipes and pictures arrived and my mind was quickly changed.  I agree with @kazu I enjoy bagpipes when our BHB docks at a port, most recently Halifax.  
@kazu I’m happy to hear that Shadow will soon be with you.  
I hope that everyone has a good day today.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Twice a year we take some houseplants for a walk - in the spring when we take them out to the deck, and fall when they return to their indoor spaces.   I love hearing bagpipes at the beginning of a parade; the sound just spurs a feeling of excitement in me.  Walk on stilts?  Uh, no.

I'm interpreting today's quote to mean live in the moment and enjoy what you have.  Although I enjoy scotch, I'm not a fan of Laphroaig; I find it too peaty for my taste, so I think I'd pass on today's cocktail.  We were in St Petersburg for 2 days during our Baltic Cruise on the Rotterdam VI, but on the overnight, I tweaked a muscle in my back and could barely move, so I had to stay on the ship, rather than touring with the family.  They were kind enough to bring back photos, postcards, and books for me to see what I'd missed. 

While I wasn't on stilts yesterday, I did spent a lot of time climbing up and down a stepladder.  Our security camera wasn't functioning properly - it wasn't picking up motion at the front door, so I did a reset of the base station.  Well that meant I had to reinstall both cameras, but it also meant they had to be within 3 meters of the base (which is in the computer room at the back of the house) in order to connect.  I can't tell you how many up and downs I made to get those darn things working again, but they're done - and while I was up there, I cleaned the lenses; you should see the clear pictures we're getting now!  LOL 

@superomaa very Happy Birthday to you with many returns of the day!

@HeartgroveI'm glad you had even a short time with your brother - it's something you'll carry with you always.  Even though you missed the ceremony, it sounds like you enjoyed the festivities after.

@kazuI'm so excited the fact that Shadow will soon be in your care!

I'm not sure about today's menu suggestion for a meal, but you never know;  I think it would be great for a breakfast bread though.  We had a call last night from DH's cousin and his wife who are in town for a day or two, so we're getting together at a local restaurant for dinner with them tonight.  That's a good thing, because I really didn't have anything planned to cook!  I'm unsure what we'll be having for dinner, but I know it will be delicious (as I don't have to cook it), and we'll be enjoying the company and long overdue visit.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra for the people of Ukraine and all who are providing aid.  We'll raise the glasses tonight to celebrate family as well as all on the happy list.  Stay safe, wear masks when needed, get your boosters, and be well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone from a cloudy SoFlo. At least it isn't raining today.

plans for today include cleaning, it really seems to get away from me with travelling and DH doctor appointments. As soon as he wakes up I'm ready to start.

@kazu good luck with new family member, she certainly looks like she needs some care and attention, you are wonderful for taking on the task.

Thoughts for everyone going through challenges at the moment, and to those on the celebration list ENJOY!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich and all who contribute. Yesterday was not a good day. Not only was the weather not cooperating but we had to reregister my grandson for school, deal with a friend and projects relating to getting my son's house, we went bike shopping.  I thought since I was old it would be good to get an electric bike. Then I would be able to keep up with others when they go on their tours of downtown Mobile three times a week. We were trying out different kinds and somehow my legs got tangled in the frame and I took a terrible crash. No bike for me, at least until I heal. I was so embarrassed. It was all caught on security cameras and two sales men were watching my old lady fumble and crash.  It totally tore up my jeans and left horrible knee injures. But I will survive, I am a tough cookie and will try another day.

I like bagpipes but usually only hear them at firefighter's funerals so they make me sad. Hope everyone has a good day.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 21

4 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Thank you Rich and all who contribute. Yesterday was not a good day. Not only was the weather not cooperating but we had to reregister my grandson for school, deal with a friend and projects relating to getting my son's house, we went bike shopping.  I thought since I was old it would be good to get an electric bike. Then I would be able to keep up with others when they go on their tours of downtown Mobile three times a week. We were trying out different kinds and somehow my legs got tangled in the frame and I took a terrible crash. No bike for me, at least until I heal. I was so embarrassed. It was all caught on security cameras and two sales men were watching my old lady fumble and crash.  It totally tore up my jeans and left horrible knee injures. But I will survive, I am a tough cookie and will try another day.

I like bagpipes but usually only hear them at firefighter's funerals so they make me sad. Hope everyone has a good day.  

Oh no, it's a shame that had to happen to you!  Especially on camera.🥴  I hope you are back to normal soon and can try it all over again.  I see electric bikes here in my neighborhood, also the regular pedal yourself types.  We have hills so the electric ones might be a better idea at our age.🚲

• Like 22

10 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Wishing you a speedy recovery with minimal pain.

Roy

• Like 23

29 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

I wonder who determines the " days". Like who would give taking your plants for a walk a day? LOL

There are various lists online that show what 'day' it is. I suppose anyone could say today we should celebrate 'red headed left handed people' and start publishing it and eventually it would end up on one of the lists. Maybe we should find a day to celebrate as 'Cruisers Day' or 'HAL Cruisers Day'.

• Like 34

Good morning to all Dailyites.

I have been trying to post.  As I read through today’s posts, there were 28 when I started and more and more kept being added.  Now at 39.  Before I finish this post there will be more.

So, first and foremost.

@superoma A very HAPPY BIRTHDAY, and many more.  Enjoy the day.

@kazu I am happy Shadow is on her way.  I hope the both of you find much happiness together.  I am sure you will give her a loving home and she will soon lose her frightened look.

@HeartgroveI am glad you were able to visit with your brother, as heartbreaking as the time with him was.  You will be glad you had that time together.

@lindaler Hope you recover from your spill on the electric bike.  Sorry that happened.

As for the days.  I do not have a green thumb.  i have one houseplant and follow the directions religiously to keep it alive.  I would not think of taking it for a walk.

I would not dare walk on stilts.  I am lucky I can walk on my two feet.

i love the sound of bagpipes.

The meal sounds wonderful.  If there were a bakery around here that sold them (and there may be since a lot of the workers here are Mexican) I would buy some and try them.

The wine sounds nice.

The drink has me puzzled.  Never heard of Laphroaig so I guess I will pass on it.

Hope every one has a wonderful day and stays safe.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning All!

We have clouds again, and they’re expected to burn off soon. With the monsoonal flow, we get thunderheads forming on what for us here is the horizon. So many times these past weeks I’ve looked at them and then went to the internet to see if there is a grass fire. Thankfully, so far, not.

@kazu I’m so excited for you and Shadow. It sounds like a great match for both of you. 

@0106 Thanks for the recipes. I always wondered how they get the indentations on Conchas. I’ve copied the recipe and will try it soon. DH now loves Conchas. He became more aware of them on our cruise to México a few months ago, and was delighted when he discovered the “premium” panes dulces at our local Gonzalez Market. 

@richwmn Or “Dailyites Day”

Am all packed for going to a conference later this week and weekend. We’ve (our circle of 4) been attending it as our “Ladies Weekend” for the past 29 or so years. For various “life change events” (as Selye would phrase it), everyone (but me) has dropped out, and so will be “solo” this year. With that and all the Covid changes, it will be interesting.

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes. We went out for breakfast this morning, continuing what has become a tradition over the last 10 years or so. Tomorrow we will go out to dinner with my father, my sister and my DBIL for our father’s 92 birthday.

posting a picture of our vegetable garden. It only looks so lush due to diligent watering by DH. We are digging up the potatoes today. Produce is coming fast and furious, peppers, summer squash, green beans, tomatoes, carrots, endive, as well as dill, basil and parsley. 

8B211152-A9DF-4119-901C-46E4D020CD83.jpeg

Edited by superoma
Added pic
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 1

@superomaI'm sorry I missed your birthday today!  Glad you've been enjoying it so far and happy birthday to your Dad tomorrow!

Jacqui @kazuI can't wait to see photos of Shadow when she arrives, or whenever you can get around to it.  She has had quite the journey over to Canada!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

@kazu   Jacqui....Shadow looks so sweet....she will have a wonderful home...!!

I am just curious and this is probably a really dumb question....will Shadow understand "english".....??

If she isn't bi-lingual....I'm sure she will quickly understand loving care....🥰
  • Like 26

Good morning!

I love bagpipes, and am happy to join so many others here, especially since no one has posted an unfortunate joke about them.

Oh my, conchas look amazing, and I will figure out some way to try them.

@superoma, such a beautiful vegetable garden!  Wishing you a stunningly happy birthday!

@grapau27, you have a very short memory if you are calling 75 hot.  🤣

@lindaler, I hope your scrapes and aches heal quickly.  I’m sorry that happened to you, and can very easily picture myself in the same state.

Echoing other comments, we too visited St. Petersburg a few years ago, and enjoyed every minute.  So glad that we did, because there will be no Russian stamps on this girl’s passport again.

@kazu, happy homecoming for Shadow!

My best to one and all ~

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Rowsby said:

@kazu   Jacqui....Shadow looks so sweet....she will have a wonderful home...!!

I am just curious and this is probably a really dumb question....will Shadow understand "english".....??

If she isn't bi-lingual....I'm sure she will quickly understand loving care....🥰

I wondered the same thing!!

• Like 17
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Live4cruises said:

Good morning!

I love bagpipes, and am happy to join so many others here, especially since no one has posted an unfortunate joke about them.

Oh my, conchas look amazing, and I will figure out some way to try them.

@superoma, such a beautiful vegetable garden!  Wishing you a stunningly happy birthday!

@grapau27, you have a very short memory if you are calling 75 hot.  🤣

@lindaler, I hope your scrapes and aches heal quickly.  I’m sorry that happened to you, and can very easily picture myself in the same state.

Echoing other comments, we too visited St. Petersburg a few years ago, and enjoyed every minute.  So glad that we did, because there will be no Russian stamps on this girl’s passport again.

@kazu, happy homecoming for Shadow!

My best to one and all ~

It is hot for us in NE England.

The temperature the other week was 20°F over the normal hottest summer day for us.

Graham.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, lindaler said:

I'm so sorry to hear you had such a nasty fall and horrible knee injuries.

Prayers for a speedy recovery.

Graham.

• Like 13

3 hours ago, aliaschief said:

It has been a beautiful morning here in Edinburgh. I have definitely been listening to bagpipes and tried a dram or two of Laphroig.

This morning we rode around on the Hop On bus and then visited beautiful Giles Cathedral and it’s beautiful stained glass windows and architecture.

Of all times the battery on my phone is failing so with all modes shut down it has become just a camera! Here are some pictures from the bus and a couple of insides shots of Saint Giles.

Have a great day. Off to more exploring.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Love  the  photos, really  nice.

• Like 15