Coastal Kitchen breakfast/lunch with mixed cabin group

I am aware that Jr Suite guests are only allowed to eat in the Coastal Kitchen during dinner times by reservation. We are a group of 11 with 8 in Owner/Aqua suites and 3 in 2 Junior Suites. I'm wondering if exceptions are ever made during the non-dinner hours for the group to eat together -- whether we could pay extra or if accommodations are ever made. Totally understand and respect if the answer is just "no, those are the rules," but getting enough pressure from some in my group to ask if anyone has ever experienced any exceptions. 

The answer is supposed to be "no, those are the rules" but I see no reason not to ask the suite concierges when you get your pre-cruise e-mail. The worst that can happen is you get the above answer.

• Like 1

We saw a large group turned away for breakfast at Coastal Kitchen last week on Symphony. Most of the group were in suites, but one of the family groups was not in a suite (the hostess asks everyone for room numbers) so they were told that they could not stay for breakfast. So the whole group left. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sandebeach said:

We saw a large group turned away for breakfast at Coastal Kitchen last week on Symphony. Most of the group were in suites, but one of the family groups was not in a suite (the hostess asks everyone for room numbers) so they were told that they could not stay for breakfast. So the whole group left. 

As it should be

• Like 5

1 hour ago, sherylc said:

I am aware that Jr Suite guests are only allowed to eat in the Coastal Kitchen during dinner times by reservation. We are a group of 11 with 8 in Owner/Aqua suites and 3 in 2 Junior Suites. I'm wondering if exceptions are ever made during the non-dinner hours for the group to eat together -- whether we could pay extra or if accommodations are ever made. Totally understand and respect if the answer is just "no, those are the rules," but getting enough pressure from some in my group to ask if anyone has ever experienced any exceptions. 

I would tell the ones in your group to book a suite and remind them they may not even get in for dinner. Last month our cruise had people in jr suites that were turned away each night due to being fully reserved by the suite guests….

Pretty rude of people who chose NOT to pay for a suite to be pressuring you - who DID pay for a suite -  to get them suite privileges for free. I would just tell them that you emailed the concierge and the answer was no. Tell them this BEFORE the cruise even starts. 

6 minutes ago, cello56 said:

Pretty rude of people who chose NOT to pay for a suite to be pressuring you - who DID pay for a suite -  to get them suite privileges for free. I would just tell them that you emailed the concierge and the answer was no. Tell them this BEFORE the cruise even starts. 

LOL -- these are my college age kids who last minute were able to join us on a big family trip. We only booked them in the JR suites so they WOULD be able to join us for at least dinner in Coastal Kitchen. As I said in my first post we have no problem if the answer is "no." There are plenty of other places to eat on the ship and I actually am not all that impressed with the CK menus compared to other choices. But I don't want to take a chance of embarrassing them by asking and being turned away so came here for actual experiences from previous passengers. 

Seems sad that if we had split them between other family member's rooms, we would have paid less and they would have had access.  

Edited by sherylc
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, sherylc said:

We only booked them in the JR suites so they WOULD be able to join us for at least dinner in Coastal Kitchen. 

I would read my previous post. It’s a MAYBE not WOULD. A lot has changed in the last couple months. Used to be no issue but now ships are back over 100% occupancy and short staffed in a lot of areas. Again, our last cruise a few weeks ago no jr. suite guests were allowed into coastal kitchen the entire cruise. We know people that were turned away and tried to make reservations.

25 minutes ago, sherylc said:

LOL -- these are my college age kids who last minute were able to join us on a big family trip. We only booked them in the JR suites so they WOULD be able to join us for at least dinner in Coastal Kitchen. As I said in my first post we have no problem if the answer is "no." There are plenty of other places to eat on the ship and I actually am not all that impressed with the CK menus compared to other choices. But I don't want to take a chance of embarrassing them by asking and being turned away so came here for actual experiences from previous passengers. 

Seems sad that if we had split them between other family member's rooms, we would have paid less and they would have had access.  

With 8 of the 11 in full suites and the others in JS, there shouldn't be an issue for dinner reservations.  I would ask the suite concierge to handle the reservations for the entire group of 11 when they reach out to you prior to the cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

With 8 of the 11 in full suites and the others in JS, there shouldn't be an issue for dinner reservations.  I would ask the suite concierge to handle the reservations for the entire group of 11 when they reach out to you prior to the cruise.

That was the plan although we weren't planning on even having dinner every night in the CK. For my mom's 80th birthday I am trying to arrange us all in Chops -- I had each cabin pay for and try to reserve the same time but we are currently scattered over about an hour. Tried through RCCL dining email but were useless so waiting til concierge contacts us. Another night, everyone liked the MDR menu better. Luckily the young adults (in JR suites) are the least picky of all the group and will be fine with wherever we eat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sherylc said:

The answer is likely no.  I asked last cruise after getting to know the manager and assistant manager a bit (we were Star class fyi - not that it should matter but to give you perspective) and it was a polite no.  They used to have some discretion on this.  I don’t think they do anymore.  I simply asked if it was possible on what would normally be a slow day for breakfast or lunch. We were on Allure.  

1 minute ago, sherylc said:

That was the plan although we weren't planning on even having dinner every night in the CK. For my mom's 80th birthday I am trying to arrange us all in Chops -- I had each cabin pay for and try to reserve the same time but we are currently scattered over about an hour. Tried through RCCL dining email but were useless so waiting til concierge contacts us. Another night, everyone liked the MDR menu better. Luckily the young adults (in JR suites) are the least picky of all the group and will be fine with wherever we eat.

Filet mignon in CK night one is very good.  We haven't had good luck with the lobster in CK at all.  Concierge should be able to take care of things for you.  Good luck and happy birthday to your Mom. 🙂 

40 minutes ago, sherylc said:

It isn’t rude to ask if they could join you for one lunch or breakfast.  People ask for extra things all cruise long in all kind of situations.  Is all of that suddenly rude?   No it isn’t IMO.  But per my other post, I don’t think they have the discretion anymore and I know they used to if there was space.  So I would certainly plan for it being a very quick no.  If it isn’t, then great.  I do think you will be fine getting them in for dinners (even if they are pretty full) since most of your party is in full suites.  Add a few people is probably much easier than making a new reservation on for JS guests.  Good luck.  

• Like 1

Not sure what ship you are on, but on the Anthem the last couple of cruises they were pretty strict about who was being allowed in CK.  It was actually pretty full at breakfast and lunch. Like others have said, you can ask and see what happens. 

CK is only one small venue for dining.  There are a multitude of dining venues for all meals all over the ship. Families won't go hungry.  😉 

CK is designated for full suites only...and is sized for that.  With full capacity sailing now...it's tough to even get in for dinner for JS pax.   And is never a guarantee.  JS pax never had access for breakfast or lunch.  

15 hours ago, sherylc said:

Something tells me that your college age kids are not waking up early enough to have breakfast in CK.  So, it might be a non issue.   

Enjoy your family cruise.

M