Have I "outgrown" cruising? Or am I just done with Royal Caribbean?

3 minutes ago, CuseJeff44 said:

I asked the waiter “is one order of onion rings enough to share or should we order one each”. He said “it’s shareable”. So we ordered one. 

COVID spreads in the air. Not on surfaces. So they had us all packed in by the elevators breathing each other’s air so that we could wait to wash our hands to prevent non existent surface transmission. 

I agree with you regarding Covid transmission occurring via air, but please agree with me that norovirus spreads via poor hygiene and the hands - so please everyone please please washie handsies!

• Like 3

My take on this...

I believe that @CuseJeff44 has given a honest report of his experiences and I don't question his motives.  I've had some bad experiences with some very popular and well-loved companies.  Just because a company is usually highly-rated does not mean that everything they do will always be perfect.

I am sure that RCCL is challenged by labor and supply shortages, but I suspect they are making sure that their newest, largest "headliner" ships are better stocked and manned than their older, smaller ships.  Telling someone with a bad experience on an older, smaller ship that they should had chosen a newer, larger ship is like telling someone that if they didn't want a lemon car that breaks down all the time that they should have bought a Cadillac Escalade instead of a Chevy Malibu.  

I am very concerned that we as consumers are becoming conditioned to accept substandard levels of service for inflated prices.  I'm nit suggesting it's some sort of back-room driven conspiracy, but that companies are taking advantage of the "because...COVID" and "because...supply chain" and "because...labor shortage" excuses to do this.  Because of the lockdowns, people are so desperate for escape, they are willing to accept anything even it is a totally negative value.  

I'll be taking my first post-pandemic cruise in two months on Navigator.  I am spending a lot of money on this trip and I expect to get an appropriate value for that cost.  I can forgive some things, like escargot replace by scallops, and wait staff that is still training, but I need to see that they are still trying to give me a great experience.  Indifference is inexcusable.  I may be here after my cruise posting the same things as @CuseJeff44 , but I hope not.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, CuseJeff44 said:

I asked the waiter “is one order of onion rings enough to share or should we order one each”. He said “it’s shareable”. So we ordered one. 

COVID spreads in the air. Not on surfaces. So they had us all packed in by the elevators breathing each other’s air so that we could wait to wash our hands to prevent non existent surface transmission. 

Uhhhh, the WJ wash stations are not there because of Covid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I agree with you 100 percent. I have been on 13 cruises since last August. All of them had issues, some minor, some more significant. However, non of these issues impacted my cruise experience and I enjoyed every cruise and I am looking forwarding to the seven cruises I have booked the rest of the year. I have been around long enough to know some people are going to have a good time no matter what while other people are going to be miserable, or at minimum have lots of complaints, no matter what 

Thank you for making me LOL. The op describes very poor service and legitimate complaints and you tell them they’re the problem 😂.
It’s this attitude that lets RC lower the bar and charge the same or more for it. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, rudeney said:

I need to see that they are still trying to give me a great experience.  Indifference is inexcusable.

....and this is the part that the apologists seem to be missing. Since when does "but Covid", "but supply problems" and "but labor shortages" require lousy attitudes toward passengers? If anything, that is where the cruise lines should be making up for their inadequacies. Make an effort. Let us know you're trying. Just like if I haven't been acknowledged by waitstaff after sitting in a restaurant for a few minutes, all someone has to do is say "I'll be right with you" as their speeding by on their busy way and I'll be fine to wait a bit longer.  Some people here seem to think you're supposed to accept behavior that has nothing to do with true cruise line limitations. Can you imagine if there were a notice about this, it would read something like this:

"Dear loyal Royal guests,

Due to restart issues following the Covid pandemic, supply chain problems, and crew shortages limiting our ability to service full ships which we are nevertheless insisting on even though we can still make a profit at X% capacity,  you will be encountering indifference, impatience and downright rudeness while onboard. Please remember you purchased your cruise "As Is", and if you read your contract there is no requirement that we provide a particular level of quality experience. To better serve you, it would help if you'd just not ask for things and let us simply provide you with the bare minimum, or when necessary, sub-par service. Thank you for your consideration."

When quality goes down and it's truly not the fault of the cruise line, that is when attitudes and customer relations should improve, not drop. Make an effort. It costs nothing to make a passenger who has spent a considerable amount of money know that it wasn't a waste. 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, forgotmyCCname said:

Hilton and Marriot/Bonvoy have standard internet and then an upgraded internet. We have "status"

and get the complimentary upgrade, but both chains have options for internet.

8 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

Yup

Validation 🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Billy Baltic said:

Thank you for making me LOL. The op describes very poor service and legitimate complaints and you tell them they’re the problem 😂.
It’s this attitude that lets RC lower the bar and charge the same or more for it. 

If the OP, or any other person, is not happy with their experience on a cruise line, they should sail on a different cruise line. It’s not my attitude that is the problem, it’s the attitude of people who complain about a business (any business, not just a cruise line) yet they continue to support the business they are complaining about. The OP made several  valid points from his perspective. If he continues to sail on RCI, that is what doesn’t make sense to me. 

If everyone felt the same way as the OP, RCI would be out of business. However, I think I can safely say the overwhelming majority of people on the same cruise had a great experience. Some people are just impossible to please. That may or may not apply to the OP, but some people just like to complain about everything. 

Edited by PhillyFan33579

8 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Most high-end hotels charge for internet because they can. Most budget chains do not as their customers are more price sensitive. And don't want to be ripped off by being charging for something that should be  included in the hotel price in the first place. Like cable TV, indoor plumbing and electricity. 😉

https://yourmileagemayvary.net/2022/01/30/why-do-luxury-hotels-charge-for-wifi-but-cheap-hotels-dont-and-what-can-you-do-about-it/

Pretty sure Best Western has two tiers of internet. Luckily, I keep it on Cell when its bad.

BTW, posted at 07:20

No idea why its in approval status🤔

Edited by John&LaLa

8 hours ago, kruzerci said:

Re-read the original posts. OP notes diminished experience compared to previous sailings. You have not sailed since prior to Covid and have no experience with the current state of the industry, yet offer irrelevant advice to try another class of ship. Keep your ignorant advice to yourself, as others who have experienced sailing in 2022 may be able to reassure the OP their feelings are valid or steer the OP in the appropriate direction.  

Plenty of people here haven't cruised since restart and continue to comment on how things are😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Billy Baltic said:

Bar had been lowered way before Covid😉

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

No idea how anyone can complain about the wash stations. I think they have been a great addition to the Windjammers. I much prefer soap and water to rubbing chemicals into my hands.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Most high-end hotels charge for internet because they can. Most budget chains do not as their customers are more price sensitive. And don't want to be ripped off by being charging for something that should be  included in the hotel price in the first place. Like cable TV, indoor plumbing and electricity. 😉

https://yourmileagemayvary.net/2022/01/30/why-do-luxury-hotels-charge-for-wifi-but-cheap-hotels-dont-and-what-can-you-do-about-it/

Well Royal definitely isn't a high end cruise line, so shouldn't have the need to charge for it's internet that half the time doesn't either work or is very, very slow.

I wish I could name even just one cruise where I didn't have an issue with the internet on a Royal ship.

9 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

Understood.  But COVID still exists. And grouping people is not ideal. So why not use sanitizer which is much quicker (like they do smartly outside the MDR). 

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

No idea how anyone can complain about the wash stations. I think they have been a great addition to the Windjammers. I much prefer soap and water to rubbing chemicals into my hands.

Not complaining about the wash stations. Questioning the logic of having people congregating amidst COVID. Wondering if there is a safer way to reduce the risk of noro without raising the risk of COVID. 

• Like 1

So. It's become clear that despite the word critic in this board's name, the idea of criticism is not really welcome here. 

I've taken 6 cruises. All RCI. I loved the first 5. I've been the biggest fanboy of the line for 20 years. I've never been particularly critical of it. Hell, I pushed BACK on some of the common criticisms (the food was always just fine). I posted here this week to share some recent experiences to try to get insight on one thing...have I changed? Has the line changed? Or has the industry changed? Because I want to know...should I give the line another chance? Should I give the industry another chance? Or should I take a break. 

I also made it SUPER clear at the beginning of my post what the post was about so that people who may not have a desire to read it and provide actual legitimate feedback could simply skip past it. 

Yet, inevitably, small pieces of my post are being ripped apart. The motives for "why" I would question one thing or another are being judged. Seriously, you pay for my cruise, and I will make sure I base my enjoyment on what you want me to enjoy it on. Short of that, it matters not one iota what I value in a vacation. 

I don't hate RCI at all. I hope that this was isolated. I hope its simply an extended "feeling out" process as we all get through this new normal. That was what the whole point of my post was about. Trying to figure that out. I don't get the snark or the passive aggressiveness at all. It's not appropriate or appreciated.

To those of you who actually managed to understand and respond to the original post constructively, thank you. 

Edited by CuseJeff44
  • Like 8

26 minutes ago, CuseJeff44 said:

So. It's become clear that despite the word critic in this board's name, the idea of criticism is not really welcome here. 

I've taken 6 cruises. All RCI. I loved the first 5. I've been the biggest fanboy of the line for 20 years. I've never been particularly critical of it. Hell, I pushed BACK on some of the common criticisms (the food was always just fine). I posted here this week to share some recent experiences to try to get insight on one thing...have I changed? Has the line changed? Or has the industry changed? Because I want to know...should I give the line another chance? Should I give the industry another chance? Or should I take a break. 

I also made it SUPER clear at the beginning of my post what the post was about so that people who may not have a desire to read it and provide actual legitimate feedback could simply skip past it. 

Yet, inevitably, small pieces of my post are being ripped apart. The motives for "why" I would question one thing or another are being judged. Seriously, you pay for my cruise, and I will make sure I base my enjoyment on what you want me to enjoy it on. Short of that, it matters not one iota what I value in a vacation. 

I don't hate RCI at all. I hope that this was isolated. I hope its simply an extended "feeling out" process as we all get through this new normal. That was what the whole point of my post was about. Trying to figure that out. I don't get the snark or the passive aggressiveness at all. It's not appropriate or appreciated.

To those of you who actually managed to understand and respond to the original post constructively, thank you. 

If you post something online here, or any place for that matter, not everyone is going to agree with you. One thing I might have missed before, is your comment about cruising over 20 years. I think everyone would agree there have been a lot of changes over the last 20 years that have nothing to do with COVID. 

Edited by PhillyFan33579

20 hours ago, CuseJeff44 said:

I may try another line. Problem is, I don't think a try "luxury" line is in the cards financially....Norwegian I have heard is just as hit or miss as RCI...and Celebrity may be nice, but I don't really want to reward RCI by still giving them my money. And I keep asking myself...maybe I should just pivot to the all-inclusive resort thing where, because I've paid up front (more admittedly) they literally only focus on all the little things that make my life easier and my stay better, rather than harder and more expensive. 

NCL haven area, if its affordable, would suit you needs.  By the time we added on beverage package, specialty dining and internet the price wasnt much different than our upcoming RCI cruise. 

9 hours ago, rudeney said:

I am sure that RCCL is challenged by labor and supply shortages

I am not attacking you for this comment I just wanted to call out I see this excuse a lot. Its never an acceptable excuse in the service industry in my opinion though (not saying you are saying it is).

I see something similar with Disney World as well where people try to place it on employee shortages. Thing is when I cruised in Sept '21 or visited WDW in Jan '21 it was still an amazing experience because of the capacity restrictions.

I think the issue many have is they are only now visiting and don't realize having shortages doesn't need to diminish the experience if managing capacity correctly. Heck most of the OPs complaints likely wouldn't happen if the ship was held to 50% capacity. More room in pools (even with part of it closed), less stress on server with less people in restaurant (so they could follow up and correct issue), better quality food (don't need to pass of poor ingredients as acceptable because of supply chain issues since they don't need to make as much food), ect.

This is also one of the big hesitations I have with jumping in to an Allure or Symphony cruise in September vs going elsewhere for a "ship within a ship" suite.

4 minutes ago, ravenjls said:

NCL haven area, if its affordable, would suit you needs.  By the time we added on beverage package, specialty dining and internet the price wasnt much different than our upcoming RCI cruise. 

I want to add the Haven area is great but step outside of that area and it can be interesting. I had the worst "buffalo" sauce I have tasted in my life in one of their pub areas on the Encore.

Haven was amazing though and at the time even though they had capacity restrictions for the ship there was not capacity limit on the Haven so all the rooms were full.

I will say though Haven is a little overpriced typically but you can get some good "deals" if flexible when traveling. Plus Haven > Royal suites since Haven has its own pool and hot tubs.

17 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

If you post something online here, or any place for that matter, not everyone is going to agree with you. One thing I might have missed before, is your comment about cruising over 20 years. I think everyone would agree there have been a lot of changes over the last 20 years that have nothing to do with COVID. 

That is all you got from his post....that he is just reacting to people disagreeing with him?  When a poster responds to a review with  "some people like to be unhappy" when that is clearly contrary to what the post says, they too should be prepared to expect a reaction.  As should those who "agree 100%" with that comment.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

Hey JC. We do live in So Cal. Palm Springs to be exact. When we were still living in Atlanta, we purchased a vacation/retirement home here in 2015 and moved out here permanently in late 2017. It came down to my old home state of FL and Ft. Lauderdale or PS. PS won out. Don’t hang out here as much. Not the same as it was ten-twelve years ago. 🙂 Good to see you here. 

We are flying in and out of PSP in November to go to our neighbors daughters wedding in San Diego, she is a dentist in the Navy marrying a helicopter pilot officer.  We are planning on doing some hiking the week we are there, and of course spend a night in PS so we can soak it in.  Love visiting downtown and the Shag store.  Trying to decide to stay in the Airstream park in Joshua tree or not.  We were supposed to be in Palm Springs last January, but covid killed that conference, and the one the previous fall in La Costa.  

I’m sorry you had a sub-par experience on Adventure. I sailed on her 5 nights on March and then again 4 nights in April. We were very pleased with the MDR, especially on the April cruise. The wait staff was superb. I do think they were close to taking a break and going back to see their families in India. 

We were pleased with the size of the ship and the ease to get around. I think I actually prefer her to Liberty’s layout. 

12 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

… forever….  

I think we can officially call it a trend.😆🤣😇

I agreed but for a different reason.  Our cruise to Bermuda a few years ago on the Anthem was a fantastic cruise.  BUT, I didn't care one bit for the port and the surrounding area.  Very sketchy at best.  Our pre-cruise hotel was right next to a Walmart and I'm telling you the people that were in that Walmart made the "people of Walmart" photos look like high society folks.  

I'm very partial to Port Everglades, Port of Miami, and/or Canaveral.  Very nice locations or locations you can get to easily from other very nice locations.  Galveston is nice too but I've never had to stay overnight, pre-cruise or post-cruise.  

YMMV

OP,  you provided a balanced and fair perspective of what you found disappointing on your cruise that was not  what you had experienced on prior cruises.

Food: disappointing

Internet: disappointing 

COVID protocols: perplexing

Service: Inconsistent / misunderstood 

All fair opinions to express here.

However, by doing so you will encounter those that agree with you and those that will not.

My 2 cents that others have mentioned:  if this cruise on this line disappointed you so greatly to consider taking your business elsewhere, that is exactly what you should do.  Only then will you find out if another line will live up to your expectations.  Read about those other lines to see what others are saying about those things you found disappointing here (food, internet, COVID protocols, service) to gain perspective.

If you so choose, Happy Sailing!

1 minute ago, Ret MP said:

I agreed but for a different reason.  Our cruise to Bermuda a few years ago on the Anthem was a fantastic cruise.  BUT, I didn't care one bit for the port and the surrounding area.  Very sketchy at best.  Our pre-cruise hotel was right next to a Walmart and I'm telling you the people that were in that Walmart made the "people of Walmart" photos look like high society folks.  

I'm very partial to Port Everglades, Port of Miami, and/or Canaveral.  Very nice locations or locations you can get to easily from other very nice locations.  Galveston is nice too but I've never had to stay overnight, pre-cruise or post-cruise.  

YMMV

Oh, don't get me started with Pier 91 in Seattle.  🤬