How do like your Eggs Benedict eggs made......

BklynBoy8

8 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Bearnaise Sauce goes with a good steak; Hollandaise belongs with Eggs Benedict.  

But to each his/her own.  

The egg and butter base goes with the EB. Bearnaise is for Meats and Proteins. Hollandaise goes with Vegetables and Seafood.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Hollandaise goes with Vegetables and Seafood.

I have had Hollandaise many times with vegetables;  fresh Asparagus with Hollandaise is my favorite.  Have I had it with seafood?  Not sure.  Is there a sauce that may come with (or used in preparing) Lobster Thermidor?  (It has been so long since I have eaten that, I don't remember.)  

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/30/2022 at 2:12 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

What is your favorite Eggs Benedict ingredients?

The base should be a soft potato roll, torn in half, not toasted. 

Plenty of good-quality, thin-sliced ham -- without quality ham, you've got nothing. 

Soft poached egg that'll ruuuuuun once it's sliced. 

Perfect homemade Hollandaise sauce made with real lemon.  

Serve with asparagus on the side.  

On 7/31/2022 at 4:53 PM, rkacruiser said:

Corned Beef Hash is the same for me.  

Not to be braggy, but I make the absolute best Corned Beef Hash: 

- Cook a diced onion and a diced red bell pepper in butter. 

- Add garlic, salt, pepper and a bit of smoked paprika. 

- Add 2 cups corned beef -- cut nice and chunky. 

- Stir in 2 baked potatoes, cooled and diced nice and chunky.

- Top with poached eggs and serve with toast. 

Our Christmas breakfast tradition is this same recipe -- but made with filet mignon. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mum2Mercury said:

- Cook a diced onion and a diced red bell pepper in butter. 

- Add garlic, salt, pepper and a bit of smoked paprika. 

- Add 2 cups corned beef -- cut nice and chunky. 

- Stir in 2 baked potatoes, cooled and diced nice and chunky.

- Top with poached eggs and serve with toast. 

Agree with some of your procedure but not all. We even use crumpets instead of EM's. The many holes have a cushion effect. I really don't see garlic and smoked paprika. Your Corned Beef has originally been prepped and no need for additional seasoning after cooked IMHO.

I run my CB thru a meat mill that produces a Chopped Meat affect along with alternate raw onion and green pepper along cooled boiled potatoes into mill. Formed patties.

Pan fried with Veg Oil....

Each has their own recipes.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Agree with some of your procedure but not all. We even use crumpets instead of EM's. The many holes have a cushion effect. I really don't see garlic and smoked paprika. Your Corned Beef has originally been prepped and no need for additional seasoning after cooked IMHO.

I run my CB thru a meat mill that produces a Chopped Meat affect along with alternate raw onion and green pepper along cooled boiled potatoes into mill. Formed patties.

Pan fried with Veg Oil....

Each has their own recipes.

The spices are more for the potato than anything else.  

I definitely prefer mine "chunky" rather than finely chopped.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

The spices are more for the potato than anything else.  

I definitely prefer mine "chunky" rather than finely chopped.  

Never tried CBH no other way just like Shepherds Pie some us chopped meat some use dice meat.

We have a New England tradition when making corned beef hash…usually with the leftovers from a boiled dinner.  As the hash gets crisp in the fry pan we wet it lightly with cider vinegar.  We usually grind the ingredients.  With beets it becomes red flannel hash.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

We have a New England tradition when making corned beef hash…usually with the leftovers from a boiled dinner.  As the hash gets crisp in the fry pan we wet it lightly with cider vinegar.  We usually grind the ingredients.  With beets it becomes red flannel hash.  

Very heard

13 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Never tried CBH no other way just like Shepherds Pie some us chopped meat some use dice meat.

I knew my Shepherd's Pie was something special when my British son-in-law called his mum to tell her he'd just had the best ever.  

11 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

That's news to me, but I'd like to try it.  Are these just boiled beets?  Here in the South we usually eat our beets pickled.  

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I knew my Shepherd's Pie was something special when my British son-in-law called his mum to tell her he'd just had the best ever.  

That's news to me, but I'd like to try it.  Are these just boiled beets?  Here in the South we usually eat our beets pickled.  

QE2 has Steak, Mushroom and Suet Pie. I also think Cottage Pies use dice.

8 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Boiled beets are the way to go…just enough to give the hash some color.  

• Like 1

On 9/18/2022 at 7:17 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Boiled beets are the way to go…just enough to give the hash some color.  

Yes, I think that would be a good addition.  Pickled Beets? No.  I like Pickled Beets (and Eggs) very much.  But, such would not be appropriate in the Hash, I don't think.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/30/2022 at 2:12 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

What is your favorite Eggs Benedict ingredients?

The go to when I make Eggs Benedict at home is a strip of bacon, a very runny poached egg, and some yummy hollandaise that I make. The hollandaise I make is much runnier than any hotel/cruise ship/restaurant I've been to. I don't make it a bit thicker as my husband loves the runny licking his plate sauce.

On 8/5/2022 at 4:09 PM, rkacruiser said:

I continue to learn!  Some of the variations, I know.  But, there are more that are new to me.  Eggs Chesapeake is one.  I have relatives in Maryland and have vacationed in that area as well as in the Tidewater area.  Never saw that offered on a menu.  Eggs Benedict with Crab?  Yes.  With a crab cake?  No.  

Thanks for the list!  

Oh, but crab cakes in place of that fancified slab of ham is absolutely delish! I don't do this at home, but when out and I know the crab cakes are crab, not breading, it's crab cakes all the time! I ordered this on NCL a few weeks in the Haven and the only issue is that the crab cakes they put on were a bit smaller than the dinner portion. Sad, but still yummy in my big ole belly!

On 9/17/2022 at 8:06 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

The base should be a soft potato roll, torn in half, not toasted. 

Plenty of good-quality, thin-sliced ham -- without quality ham, you've got nothing. 

Soft poached egg that'll ruuuuuun once it's sliced. 

Perfect homemade Hollandaise sauce made with real lemon.  

Serve with asparagus on the side.  

Well, the husband would sure disagree with the asparagus. I think I'd enjoy a bit of green on the plate though, other than chives. I wish I could, but I just can't agree with you on the lemon. No lemon goes in my sauce. I actually taste test any hollandaise sauce before ordering to be sure the lemon isn't overpowering. I'm so over society putting lemon in everything! But, I'm glad you have your yummy eggs on a toasted English muffin. Mmm, now I want this too. 

I just found this Cruise Foodies place a few days ago and it's giving me all sorts of good food ideas. Ohh boy! 

• Like 1

Now my preference is English Muffin (Sourdough toast 2nd pick) thinly sliced ham (bacon 2nd pick) poached egg, firm white runny yolk, fairly thick Hollandaise sauce, if it is browned slightly via torch or under grill is great.

Then when served cracked pepper.

And just keep bringing them till I say stop, if I ever do.

• Like 1

I had a great Hollandaise on the QM2 which well stuck on to the egg. I want to make than one at home.

But on board I tried the Egg's Benedict, Egg's Florentine and Egg's Royal w Smk Salm.

I appreciate the various one offered.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Egg's Florentine

These along with the Benedict style with crab are delicious changes from the standard Eggs Benedict.  I don't recall having Eggs Royal.  

One ship's buffet restaurant offered Eggs Italiano with a red sauce.  I don't recall the composition of the item, but, the dish that was shown on the serving line looked good.  

For those of you who love making Eggs Beni I have just discovered a great way to make poached eggs.  Take a large ceramic soup cup and place a whole egg in the cup and cover with boiling water.  Let it sit for exactly fifteen minutes and then remove from cup.  Crack the egg over your English muffin and you will have a perfect poached egg.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

For those of you who love making Eggs Beni I have just discovered a great way to make poached eggs.  Take a large ceramic soup cup and place a whole egg in the cup and cover with boiling water.  Let it sit for exactly fifteen minutes and then remove from cup.  Crack the egg over your English muffin and you will have a perfect poached egg.

Hi CGT..........I will definitely have to try that but can it just be a medium size soup bowl? And the water, once you pour it over the egg, it will stop boiling and will just be hot water......after 15 minutes, won't the water be nearly room temperature? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi CGT..........I will definitely have to try that but can it just be a medium size soup bowl? And the water, once you pour it over the egg, it will stop boiling and will just be hot water......after 15 minutes, won't the water be nearly room temperature? 

Good questions!  Looking forward to CGT's response.  

5 hours ago, Lois R said:

No problem…it should work.  After 15 minutes the egg should have absorbed the heat and a perfect poached egg will emerge.  You might have to try different bowls for best results.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

No problem…it should work.  After 15 minutes the egg should have absorbed the heat and a perfect poached egg will emerge.  You might have to try different bowls for best results.

I am use to the traditional poaching method the French uses

Good morning........CGT, I tried the way you posted and I must have done something wrong because I waited 15 minutes as you told us but when I cracked the egg? It was definitely not done. The white looked terrible.....like it had barely been cooked😮I had to throw it out. It was one of those "ewww gross" moments.........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning........CGT, I tried the way you posted and I must have done something wrong because I waited 15 minutes as you told us but when I cracked the egg? It was definitely not done. The white looked terrible.....like it had barely been cooked😮I had to throw it out. It was one of those "ewww gross" moments.........

Back to the drawing board.  Maybe use a larger ceramic bowl?  Sounds like you need to retain the heat.  I’ll get back to you with a solution.

• Thanks 1