How do like your Eggs Benedict eggs made......

BklynBoy8

Hi All,

Going on a cruise soon and my first breakfast is a proper prepared Eggs Benedict.

So many cruiselines, hotels, resorts, and restaurants made Eggs Benedict in their establishment. 

QM2 makes an exceptional plate. Went to a resort upstate ny and their pre was disappointing. 

I know there are different preps like Canadian Bacon, Crab meat, Smoke Salmon etc..

What is your favorite Eggs Benedict ingredients?

Mines is traditional Poached Eggs, Canadian Bacon or Smoke Salmon and Hollandaise Sauce sprinkle Fresh Chives.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Mines is traditional Poached Eggs, Canadian Bacon or Smoke Salmon and Hollandaise Sauce sprinkle Fresh Chives.

Scratch the Smoked Salmon, but the other items is my preferred preparation.  I would like the eggs to be done, but, when my fork pierces the eggs, the yolk will be runny.  

Crab in place of the Canadian Bacon, I like.  Eggs Florentine?  Yes.  I like Spinach.  

To absorb the yolk that the English Muffin doesn't, a well prepared serving of Hash Browned Potatoes would be a preferred an addition to my plate.  

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Scratch the Smoked Salmon, but the other items is my preferred preparation.  I would like the eggs to be done, but, when my fork pierces the eggs, the yolk will be runny.  

Crab in place of the Canadian Bacon, I like.  Eggs Florentine?  Yes.  I like Spinach.  

To absorb the yolk that the English Muffin doesn't, a well prepared serving of Hash Browned Potatoes would be a preferred an addition to my plate.  

Spinach and egg - no go....

Smoke Salmon first time worked. 

I was given HB on the side not to mix with the eggs. 

Still can't believe it's hard to make a hollandaise sauce by others, no problem doing so.

Have to keep the English Muffin dry slight toasted to seal to absorb. Wet disaster!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I was given HB on the side not to mix with the eggs.

I want the Hash Browns on the side as well.  But, usually, there is more of the Poached Egg that needs to be absorbed and the HB does that well, I think.  

Corned Beef Hash is the same for me.  Poached Eggs on the Hash with the eggs done sufficiently that when I pierce the Eggs, the yolk starts to be absorbed by the Hash.  I have had difficulty on cruises of getting the Steward to inform the Chef  sufficiently that I want the Eggs on the Hash and not with the Hash on one side of the plate and the Eggs in a small bowl on the plate (if that).  More often than not, the eggs are served with a piece of toast underneath them.  

• Thanks 1

I can’t stand Canadian bacon on my eggs Benedict.  Smoked salmon, baked ham, crab meat or filet mignon are all good.  The yolks must run!  My big complaint is the English is never toasted or grilled adequately.  I prefer them grilled in butter as they will still absorb the yolks.  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I can’t stand Canadian bacon on my eggs Benedict.

Do you just don't care for Canadian Bacon or just not with the Eggs Benedict?  

The yolks must run

YES!  Poached eggs cooked so solidly that there is little to no yolk to run ruins the dish.

My big complaint is the English is never toasted or grilled adequately.  

The variability of the preparation of the Muffin can be an irritant.  I would think that the galley would use the industrial sized commercial toasters to toast the Muffin.  Can they be set at different speeds for how long the bread/muffins are toasted?  

25 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Do you just don't care for Canadian Bacon or just not with the Eggs Benedict?

Canadian Bacon is just plain ham.  Give me a good pit smoked ham fried anytime.

YES!  Poached eggs cooked so solidly that there is little to no yolk to run ruins the dish.

I have had my Eggs Benedict ruined more than once because of overcooked eggs.

The variability of the preparation of the Muffin can be an irritant.  I would think that the galley would use the industrial sized commercial toasters to toast the Muffin.  Can they be set at different speeds for how long the bread/muffins are toasted?  
Yes…the settings can be easily changed to get the desired results.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Yes…the settings can be easily changed to get the desired results.

During one cruise, the crew member in the Lido Restaurant who was in charge of the toasting of bread/muffins was my Dining Room Steward, not a cook.  One morning, the bread that I wanted toasted was barely toasted.  I asked him to put it through again.  Slightly better.  He tried a third time, still better, and I accepted it.  But, the bread had been dried out in the process.  Not enough Orange Marmalade in the world to have made that toast palatable.  A guest never could predict what the results would be.  Some mornings:  OK.  Others, just like what I described.  

Good morning guys.............I have not checked in here in a while.......and totally forgot to check in after my last sailing.......first, I love Eggs Benedict too😀

I know you all ask about the food on each sailing, well, (rka knows what happened) but BB and CGT, 

I pulled a muscle in my leg while I was on my cruise and ended up going to the local hospital in Valencia, Spain for an ultrasound.......the Dr on the ship wanted to make sure I didn't have a blood clot 

(thankfully no clot was found) but I did end up having to using a crutch and could not put full weight on the right leg.  This cruise was port intensive and all the stops were new to me----but I could not get off the ship in any of them☹️.   I have been cruising solo for 20 years........this is the first time I have ever been injured.  The crew/staff on the ship were outstanding and went above and beyond in helping me.

I sort of lost my appetite throughout after this happened so I can't give you honest "food review".........

My leg is FINALLY feeling better..........the ship was nice enough to give me a cane to take home and I used it for a while but now I can actually walk without it.  And yes, I went to my Dr after I got home too.

There is more to the story but figured this would give you a re-cap..................I didn't fall or anything....seems when I stepped down out of the bathroom, I heard a BIG POP and then a SHARP PAIN and I knew something in my leg pulled..........

Oh this happened on night 2 of the cruise......June 27th........I got home on July 8th so have now been home 3 weeks........and I go on a cruise to Alaska on August 21st.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lois R said:

My leg is FINALLY feeling better..........the ship was nice enough to give me a cane to take home and I used it for a while but now I can actually walk without it.

Hi Lois!  I am glad to know that your leg is better and that you don't need a cane.  I had a knee injury in Egypt during a cruise, but, the medical staff on the Amsterdam was able to deal with it and I didn't have to cut the cruise short.  I did require arthroscopic surgery on the knee, however.  Any need for repair for you?  I chalked my experience to "just part of another travel adventure".  

To return to "regular programming"----

I love Eggs Benedict too😀

How do you like your eggs and English Muffin prepared?  

45 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Hi Lois!  I am glad to know that your leg is better and that you don't need a cane.  I had a knee injury in Egypt during a cruise, but, the medical staff on the Amsterdam was able to deal with it and I didn't have to cut the cruise short.  I did require arthroscopic surgery on the knee, however.  Any need for repair for you?  I chalked my experience to "just part of another travel adventure".  

To return to "regular programming"----

How do you like your eggs and English Muffin prepared?  

Hi rka, no surgery on the leg for me (thankfully). 

Eggs Benedict? I like the original (Canadian Bacon) but I love other ways too........salmon or a filet both sound good🙂oh, for me,  the yolk needs to be runny and the white needs to be cooked!

CGT, how are you feeling these days? I have an appt with my Kidney Dr next week........not sure what news she will have for me😲

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

no surgery on the leg for me (thankfully). 

Thanks for the update.  Good to know.  

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Eggs Benedict? I like the original (Canadian Bacon) but I love other ways too........salmon or a filet both sound good🙂oh, for me,  the yolk needs to be runny and the white needs to be cooked!

Never have tried the dish with a filet or salmon.  I like crab in place of Canadian Bacon with the eggs cooked as you describe.  

On 8/2/2022 at 5:37 PM, Lois R said:

Hi rka, no surgery on the leg for me (thankfully). 

CGT, how are you feeling these days? I have an appt with my Kidney Dr next week........not sure what news she will have for me😲

Hi Lois, so sorry you had an injury on your recent cruise…bummer.  I’m feeling pretty good now but what a summer.  Flu and then ICU in July for 4 days with internal bleeding upper GI.  Then a summer cold with lung congestion just recovering now.  Still no word on transplant.  Let me know how you make out next week.  My guess is you are fine!

13 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Hi Lois, so sorry you had an injury on your recent cruise…bummer.  I’m feeling pretty good now but what a summer.  Flu and then ICU in July for 4 days with internal bleeding upper GI.  Then a summer cold with lung congestion just recovering now.  Still no word on transplant.  Let me know how you make out next week.  My guess is you are fine!

Good morning..........hope you are right but not so sure......my creantine number has been a problem for the last 2.5 years........back in 2020 I was in the hospital for 5 days with kidney issues........I keep reminding myself that I have to drink water all day long...........

18 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Flu and then ICU in July for 4 days with internal bleeding upper GI.  Then a summer cold with lung congestion just recovering now.  

My gosh CGT!  If it isn't one thing, it is something else!

5 hours ago, Lois R said:

.hope you are right but not so sure

I am rather like you, I know what my daily issues are, but, what's going on within me and with my body's chemistry?  Frequently, I do get a bit concerned.  I have my annual physical next week and am looking forward to learning its results, particularly from the blood work that will be done.  

Soft.   That is the term.  Nice runny yolk with a fairly firm white.   I like the Canadian bacon, DH likes strip bacon.  I am a traditionalist and skip the spinach, salmon etc…  If I choose the others I would get an omelet. I find if I find the immediate delivery in the lido is best for freshness and texture plus you can direct the cooking of the egg. 

do your remember when they used to actually add shave truffle, now that was the ideal way to serve eggs Benedict 

• Thanks 1

Good morning..........hope you are right but not so sure......my creantine number has been a problem for the last 2.5 years........back in 2020 I was in the hospital for 5 days with kidney issues........I keep reminding myself that I have to drink water all day long...........

Good luck Lois.  You might want to look at a kidney diet.  There are certain foods like dark greens that can actually affect your kidneys…hydration is the key!

56 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Soft.   That is the term.  Nice runny yolk with a fairly firm white.   I like the Canadian bacon, DH likes strip bacon.  I am a traditionalist and skip the spinach, salmon etc…  If I choose the others I would get an omelet. I find if I find the immediate delivery in the lido is best for freshness and texture plus you can direct the cooking of the egg. 

do your remember when they used to actually add shave truffle, now that was the ideal way to serve eggs Benedict 

Very much agree!  The shaved truffle sounds divine.

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I have not experienced that.  

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

If I choose the others I would get an omelet.

I do enjoy the ability of an omelet made to my specifications.  One advantage of observing the cook at the omelet station.  "Add more of that, please."  

Eggs Blackstone adds streaky bacon and a tomato slice.

Eggs Blanchard substitutes Béchamel sauce for Hollandaise.

Eggs Florentine adds spinach, sometimes substituted for the Canadian bacon. Older versions of eggs Florentine add spinach to poached or shirred eggs.

Eggs Chesapeake adds a Maryland blue crab cake.

Eggs Mornay substitutes Mornay (cheese) sauce for the Hollandaise.

Eggs Trivette adds Creole mustard to the Hollandaise and a topping of crayfish.

Eggs Omar (also known as a steak benedict) adds a small steak, and sometimes replaces the hollandaise with béarnaise.

Eggs Atlantic, Eggs Hemingway, or eggs Norvégienne (also known as eggs royale and eggs Montreal in New Zealand) adds salmon, which may be smoked. This is a common variation found in Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the United Kingdom, and in Kosher restaurants.[ This is also known as "eggs Benjamin" in some restaurants in Canada.

Huevos Benedictos adds sliced avocado and/or Mexican chorizo, and is topped with a salsa

Eggs Hussarde substitutes Holland rusks for the English muffin and adds Bordelaise sauce.

Irish Benedict adds corned beef or Irish bacon

Eggs Cochon, a variation from New Orleans restaurants which adds slow roasted pork shredded in its own juices

California Eggs Benedict adds sliced Hass avocado. Variations include sliced tomato instead of ham.

Avocado Toast Eggs Benedict substitutes toast for the muffin and adds sliced avocado.

New Jersey Benedict adds Taylor pork roll.

Eggs Woodhouse includes two eggs and artichoke hearts, creamed spinach, bechamel sauce, Ibérico ham, black truffle and beluga caviar. 

Eggs Zenedict, a specialty of restaurants in the defunct Canadian retail chain Zellers. Poached eggs on a toasted scone with peameal bacon, smothered in a sundried tomato Hollandaise sauce.

Eggs Hebridean, a Scottish variety include eggs Hebridean, substituting black pudding for the Canadian bacon or ham, and eggs Balmoral where haggis is used

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Eggs Chesapeake adds a Maryland blue crab cake.

I continue to learn!  Some of the variations, I know.  But, there are more that are new to me.  Eggs Chesapeake is one.  I have relatives in Maryland and have vacationed in that area as well as in the Tidewater area.  Never saw that offered on a menu.  Eggs Benedict with Crab?  Yes.  With a crab cake?  No.  

Thanks for the list!  

• 4 weeks later...

I prefer traditional eggs benedict, with one exception, I prefer bearnaise sauce instead of the hollandaise.  Bearnaise is pretty much a hollandaise with the addition of tarragon.

Edited by Hypo
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Hypo said:

I prefer traditional eggs benedict, with one exception, I prefer bearnaise sauce instead of the hollandaise.  Bearnaise is pretty much a hollandaise with the addition of tarragon.

Ditto