Celebrity Question

ScottC4746

First time on X.  My cruise is in 32 days from Seattle to Alaska round trip.  I can already hear the phrase "Diamonds International"  Please tell me Celebrity doesn't partner with anyone like that?  Other cruise lines we have listend to port talks about shopping and they all seem to be very expensive "authentic local crafts made in China".

2 minutes ago, mom says said:

Not to worry. No one will force you to enter a Diamonds International, or any other store that you don't want to.

I just remember RCCL is seems to be shoved down your throat with adds and talks, etc. LOL

27 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

First time on X.  My cruise is in 32 days from Seattle to Alaska round trip.  I can already hear the phrase "Diamonds International"  Please tell me Celebrity doesn't partner with anyone like that?  Other cruise lines we have listend to port talks about shopping and they all seem to be very expensive "authentic local crafts made in China".

Since we haven't been to a port shopping talk in many, many years, I don't know if they still push DI. I've only been in there once (also many, many years ago) when we were looking for the " 2 karat Diamond tennis bracelet that was on special for $699"  for our Daughter's birthday. When the salesperson handed me the bracelet and I asked for a Loop (jeweler's magniying glass) to see the quality of the diamonds, she politely replied...."if you know how to use a loop, you don't want this bracelet"!!  Nothing but black carbon spots!! 

We were just on that cruise in mid-June on the Solstice.  There's a couple on the ship that give different lectures, none about shopping.  The husband talks wildlife and the wife talks history.  Their names escape me at the moment, but the lectures were informative about each locale and points of interest.  They both have great senses of humor and are very nice.  We tried to attend as many lectures as possible.  No mention of Diamond International whatsoever. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, aggiejd2000 said:

We were just on that cruise in mid-June on the Solstice.  There's a couple on the ship that give different lectures, none about shopping.  The husband talks wildlife and the wife talks history.  Their names escape me at the moment, but the lectures were informative about each locale and points of interest.  They both have great senses of humor and are very nice.  We tried to attend as many lectures as possible.  No mention of Diamond International whatsoever. 

i can’t remember his wife’s name, but he is Brent Nixon.  They were speakers on Millenium when we cruised Alaska September 2021 - both wonderful and interesting speakers.  I have enjoyed many “Beyond the Podium” speakers, but they were the best!

I think all the mainline cruise lines do the shopping thing.  X is no exception.  Hopefully the person you are traveling with (if you are traveling with someone) can ignore all the shopping promotions.

They are always doing some type of giveaway (some trinket).

They are easy to ignore except right next to the onboard shops.  

15 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

We were on a cruise (not X) in July.  I saw some cute indigenous looking ornaments.  Glad I looked at the back "Made in Indonesia and/or China"  😞  

I tried to look for geniune items

Celebrity probably does not officially partner with DI or its various versions on board but who knows if they get a kick back from them since the shopping talks always seem to mention them.  It is bad enough that they partner with Park West on board.

24 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Celebrity probably does not officially partner with DI or its various versions on board but who knows if they get a kick back from them since the shopping talks always seem to mention them.  It is bad enough that they partner with Park West on board.

In Alaska, you will note that the port shopping does note that the recommended shops have paid for the promotion.  The state of Alaska requires it.  One interesting thing about ships that have EFFY shops…they may have a shop on the ship, but they are not one of the recommended port shops, because they don’t pay for it.  EM

14 hours ago, North2Alaska10 said:

Brent Nixon is an outstanding speaker! If you’re thinking about purchasing one of his DVDs; do it early in the cruise. They are usually sold out by the end of cruise. 

Jim Kennedy is another outstanding speaker. He filled the theatre with passengers sitting on the stairs and standing at the rear. His subject - the history of the American Space Programme throughout the Moon Landing period. Each talk preceded by a showing of private videos featuring various astronauts. A great guy, very approachable and a regular on the early morning "walk around the deck" sessions.

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

I enjoy looking at the “art” myself..key word looking.