Surely its just a window you can open?

gordylad

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

Did Carnival design this?

Heres to large real balconies for everyone 🍷

Carnival has their own shenanigans with their Royal class Princess ships…..9x4 balconies worthy of a ledge built for Spider Man.  And just like IVs on Edge class, they are the vast majority of balconies on the ship with very few exceptions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vjmatty said:

Carnival has their own shenanigans with their Royal class Princess ships…..9x4 balconies worthy of a ledge built for Spider Man.  And just like IVs on Edge class, they are the vast majority of balconies on the ship with very few exceptions. 

Thanks for the heads up!  You used to be able to get a cabin with a decent sized balcony without worrying about it.  Now I guess you have to check the square footage, size,  and see if it is a real balcony.  Oh the cutbacks ...

Edited by NMTraveller

3 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Thanks for the heads up!  You used to be able to get a cabin with a decent sized balcony without worrying about it.  Now I guess you have to check the square footage, size,  and see if it is a real balcony.  Oh the cutbacks ...

Yes, check the deck plans carefully. The newer Royal class ships built after the Royal and Regal have some sections where the balconies are twice as deep. 

• Like 1

You bet.  Would you like a very small portion of faux popcorn?  We have infinite popcorn in a 2 oz bag.  It is not popped corn, but popped quinoa.  The price has been adjusted for the marketing hype.  Endorsed by (Goop) Paltrow and Alice in Wonderland.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Haha 3

On 8/4/2022 at 4:00 PM, Spif Barwunkel said:

If you sit on your regular veranda with the doors open and the AC on, shame on you, that is inexcusable.  

On 8/4/2022 at 5:07 PM, RichYak said:

when the door to the balcony in your regular veranda cabin is open, the AC turns off, same as when the IV window is open. Do you shame those that leave the IV window open? Is that inexcusable as well?

I ask again, why can't people who like IV cabins simply like them for what they are?

23 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Just as I thought, sometimes the simplest of questions, for many folks, are the most difficult to answer.

You never answered my questions

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

You never answered my questions

In one of Celebrity's marketing ads, they show two couples in a room, dressed to the nines, and the ladies dresses are blowing gently from the soft breeze of the OPEN balcony door!  🤣

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

In one of Celebrity's marketing ads, they show two couples in a room, dressed to the nines, and the ladies dresses are blowing gently from the soft breeze of the OPEN balcony door!  🤣

Maybe they are in a suite.

15 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Actually S-class has 52 sq ft verandas (real balconies) and the IVs are 42 square feet.  The problem with the IVs is they are a long strip vs a more square shape.  Try laying down at all angles in the box.  I bet you can't do it.  The skinny strip box in the video just looks ridiculously small.  It is just ridiculous.

Did Carnival design this?

Heres to large real balconies for everyone 🍷

I always knew width was more important than length!😉

True balconies: Composed of a deck floor and a rail, these true balconies can be walked upon and should be able to hold a reasonable amount of balcony furniture, plants and people. The true balconies tend to be wider than the false and faux styles of balcony. But true weight-bearing balconies can also be designed in narrow styles, including intimate “Juliet” balconies. 'S' & 'M' classes.

Juliet balconies by the shape and style. Others by the intended function or ambiance it adds to a structure. For the most part, Juliet balconies consist of intimate structures of narrow proportions designed to invite the outdoors into the dwelling and the dweller out to enjoy the outside. 'E' class.

Obviously, most folks prefer the True Balcony. I have enjoyed both and will continue to do so. Both versions meet the criteria for a Balcony/Veranda cabin. In either one, do not sit on the balcony with the balcony doors open, unless in the IV (Juliet) the top window is closed. 

3 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

True balconies: Composed of a deck floor and a rail, these true balconies can be walked upon and should be able to hold a reasonable amount of balcony furniture, plants and people. The true balconies tend to be wider than the false and faux styles of balcony. But true weight-bearing balconies can also be designed in narrow styles, including intimate “Juliet” balconies. 'S' & 'M' classes.

Juliet balconies by the shape and style. Others by the intended function or ambiance it adds to a structure. For the most part, Juliet balconies consist of intimate structures of narrow proportions designed to invite the outdoors into the dwelling and the dweller out to enjoy the outside. 'E' class.

Obviously, most folks prefer the True Balcony. I have enjoyed both and will continue to do so. Both versions meet the criteria for a Balcony/Veranda cabin. In either one, do not sit on the balcony with the balcony doors open, unless in the IV (Juliet) the top window is closed. 

'S' & 'M' classes.  Hmmm, I'm perplexed? 😵

19 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

More definitions.

Balcony: a platform enclosed by a wall or balustrade on the outside of a building, with access from an upper-floor window or door.

Balcony: a platform on the outside of a building, above ground level, with a wall or railing around it.

Balcony: a platform that is built on the upstairs outside wall of a building, with a wall or rail around it. You can get out onto a balcony from an upstairs room.

Mental Gymnastics: Inventive, complex arguments used to justify unjustifiable decisions, or situations.

And you still haven't answered my questions.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, RichYak said:

More definitions.

Balcony: a platform enclosed by a wall or balustrade on the outside of a building, with access from an upper-floor window or door.

Balcony: a platform on the outside of a building, above ground level, with a wall or railing around it.

Balcony: a platform that is built on the upstairs outside wall of a building, with a wall or rail around it. You can get out onto a balcony from an upstairs room.

Mental Gymnastics: Inventive, complex arguments used to justify unjustifiable decisions, or situations.

And you still haven't answered my questions.

My first instinct in reading this was to settle the question by asking, are you really outside in an IV, or are you still inside? I’d say a traditional balcony with a glass railing is definitely outside. But then where do you put the porthole balconies, or the hull balconies on Cunard’s QM2?

4 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

My first instinct in reading this was to settle the question by asking, are you really outside in an IV, or are you still inside? I’d say a traditional balcony with a glass railing is definitely outside. But then where do you put the porthole balconies, or the hull balconies on Cunard’s QM2?

You need to go through an exterior door (or climb out of an IV window) to get outside. I'm not familiar enough with the porthole balconies or hull balconies on QM2 to comment. If they have exterior doors to go through to get onto them, they're balconies.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

Hull or porthole balconies are OUTDOOR spaces since they are exposed to the elements. In other words, you can access those spaces in the driving rain, since they are weatherized and are equipped with drainage systems. By the same token, the same cannot be said for IV or the far more common Juliet Balconies, which are basically French doors utilized as windows with a balustrade so when the french doors are open one doesn't fall out. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 2

I chose two of many definitions that I felt best, and briefly described the two different types of balconies being discussed on this thread, pertinent to cruise ships only and hopefully for ease of understanding when comparing both. Buildings, houses, farms, mansions, castles, hotels, motels, out-houses, dog houses, cat houses, over-water bungalows, under-water bungalows, churches, cathedrals, tents, fire houses, police stations, safe houses, jumbo jets, aircraft carriers, tree houses, sports stadiums, sports arenas, mud huts, igloos, bamboo huts etc. should not be included or considered. 

Obviously, that did not work. I on the other hand, totally understand and enjoy both types of balconies for what they are intended to be and do. Comprehension and understanding, even of the simplest of explanations and discussions, is difficult for some. It's just so darn easy not to like something. That's okay, short-sighted but okay.

We all are happy with our choices and that is all that matters.

Edited by Spif Barwunkel

1 hour ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

For Juliet balconies I see two types.  One is the traditional Juliet balcony where you can go outside for a couple of feet or more in other words stand up and you are truly outside.  The other is the more modern cheesed up version where it is just an open/close window.  I have twenty some Juliet balconies in my house.  Yet only one true balcony.

The latter version of the Juliet Balcony where it is just an open/close window seems more of a marketing ploy than anything else.  Would most architects even regard open/close windows as a Juliet balcony?  I would think not.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

The IVs are are more open than the old hull balconies.  We felt like we were outside and it was breezy while sailing.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/4/2022 at 9:10 AM, Ipeeinthepools said:

Given the number of suites on the E-class ships that have balconies, I think it's apparent that there aren't any structural limitations in the ships design that prohibit them from putting traditional balcony cabins almost anywhere.  I agree that they have added structure to accommodate the sliding window.  

From Celebrity's website:

A masterpiece in engineering, Celebrity Edge’s construction shifted the traditional ship layout from an exoskeleton layout to an outward-facing endoskeleton design, allowing the creation of staterooms with Infinite Verandas, which not only provide breathtaking views of the ocean but are 23% larger than Celebrity’s current veranda staterooms.

On 8/2/2022 at 7:50 AM, the penguins said:

Perhaps X or at least it's advertising department is beginning to agree with you. The latest TV advert in the UK doesn't feature the infinity balconies at all.

I wonder if that may be a legal matter. If they aren’t a true balcony then perhaps they cannot be marketed as such without falling foul of advertising law. Apologies if someone has already said this as I’ll have missed it.

I like a proper balcony as I’m an early riser & will sit on it with a coffee. I already know I’ll be disappointed with the CS/RS balcony however I hope the retreat will make up for it.

If not I’ll stick to M or S class. 

• Like 1