Surely its just a window you can open?

gordylad

8 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

The “pre-inaugural” was an IV with the already-broken shade then the “inaugural” was in a forward hull balcony.  

Thanks, sorry we didn’t meet on the 2 nighter inaugural.

To anyone thinking about an IV read the last 4 or 5 pages of the Edge sticky above.  The majority of IV cruisers would book the same cabin again, the one exception was someone near the magic carpet track.  As usual on this topic there are a number of naysayers here who have never stepped foot into an IV cabin.  We’ve had two AQ cabins and two S1s on the Edge and had no complaints about either.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Does anyone know if the motor noise of opening the blind or the window  can be heard in a next door cabin. 

Yes, I heard next door opening their blind most mornings 

2 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

You seem to be forgetting one ship, the MSC World Europa.  They have an identical cabin design on that ship, only MSC is honest and calls it an ocean view cabin not a balcony.   Perhaps Celebrity should adopt the same honest approach.

image.jpeg.ec2a1005ebf1b6445003324043e5d7da.jpeg

Nope I didn’t forget.  That ship just is not in service yet.  That is why I mentioned a few more are on the way.  In the case of WORLD EUROPA most balconies will be traditional, with a percentage being the infinite balcony type.  They know some people actually prefer it, plus MSC are the kings of copying what other cruise lines already have. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, eroller said:

Nope I didn’t forget.  That ship just is not in service yet.  That is why I mentioned a few more are on the way.  In the case of WORLD EUROPA most balconies will be traditional, with a percentage being the infinite balcony type.  They know some people actually prefer it, plus MSC are the kings of copying what other cruise lines already have. 

Isn’t that the truth. Especially the new World Europa. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, eroller said:

A distinction without a difference.  It's great that some people may prefer an IV balcony but to replace the most common type of cabin without a complete understanding of customer preferences was just dumb.  Just call the IV balcony what it really is, an ocean view cabin.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

A distinction without a difference.  It's great that some people may prefer an IV balcony but to replace the most common type of cabin without a complete understanding of customer preferences was just dumb.  Just call the IV balcony what it really is, an ocean view cabin.

Thankfully there are 200+ other ships you can sail on that have regular balconies if you don’t like the infinite balconies.   Perhaps you are right and they should be called something different, but not sure it would change anything in the long run.  

I had no issues with my infinite balcony but then again I’m not one to sit on a balcony for hours.  Just not my thing.  Honestly the one thing I missed with a regular balcony was putting my wet bathing suit out there to dry.  That was the biggest thing.  

So for me I’m indifferent about them.  No better no worse.  I’ll take either.  But I love the Edge Class so much that even if I didn’t like them I would just deal with it.  

Edited by eroller
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, eroller said:

Thankfully there are 200+ other ships you can sail on that have regular balconies if you don’t like the infinite balconies.   Perhaps you are right and they should be called something different, but not sure it would change anything in the long run.  

I had no issues with my infinite balcony but then again I’m not one to sit on a balcony for hours.  Just not my thing.  Honestly the one thing I missed with a regular balcony was putting my wet bathing suit out there to dry.  That was the biggest thing.  

So for me I’m indifferent about them.  No better no worse.  I’ll take either.  But I love the Edge Class so much that even if I didn’t like them I would just deal with it.  

I think this is the real difference.  People that don't spend a lot of time on the balcony probably like the IV balconies because the cabin is effectively larger.  People that really enjoy spending a lot of time on the balcony dislike the IV because of all of the compromises made in the balcony design.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, carolina_yankee said:

A balcony has three sides, a railing, and an open space.

You also need to go through an exterior door to get to one, because it's outside. Why is it that people who like IV cabins feel the need to pretend it's something that it isn't? If you like it, that's great!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I think this is the real difference.  People that don't spend a lot of time on the balcony probably like the IV balconies because the cabin is effectively larger.  People that really enjoy spending a lot of time on the balcony dislike the IV because of all of the compromises made in the balcony design.

Yes I would agree with that.  I will say for me personally I don’t think it’s any better than a regular balcony (although I love the tech), but no worse either.  I can take it or leave it.  

20 hours ago, julia said:

Hmmmm..  just wondering who's winning that "beaten to death" race...

A. Dress code horse?

B. Drink package horse?

C. Covid mask/test horse?

D. Infinite balcony horse?

E. Can I make a 9:45 flight horse?

It's close folks, really close.  🤣😯

Another " beaten to death " race was just completed :

The winner by 2943 CC posts ---- Who's On Board horse followed in close second by  Gratuities Included in Room Service horse and in 3rd position Slobs at the Buffet horse.

Note: What should I Do horse was scratched at the last minute due to indecision by the Owner.

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Another " beaten to death " race was just completed :

The winner by 2943 CC posts ---- Who's On Board horse followed in close second by  Gratuities Included in Room Service horse and in 3rd position Slobs at the Buffet horse.

Note: What should I Do horse was scratched at the last minute due to indecision by the Owner.

...and on the outside it's Shorts in the Dining Room followed by Will Kate be Captain. And here comes Spending OBC with a late charge...

• Haha 6

36 minutes ago, RichYak said:

You also need to go through an exterior door to get to one, because it's outside. Why is it that people who like IV cabins feel the need to pretend it's something that it isn't? If you like it, that's great!

I Love both traditional balconies AND the IV cabins. But I totally agree with your statement about people discussing the IV cabins like it's a real balcony or even a faux balcony, when all it is is an open window and a room divider. That's why I always use the example of a family room with the opened sliding doors analogy. 

• Like 1

Just now, RichYak said:

...and on the outside it's Shorts in the Dining Room followed by Will Kate be Captain. And here comes Spending OBC with a late charge...

AND- 

How to use MY BUTLER   get's a look at 'em all--- finishing last due to having to " draw " ( ?? ) 14 baths.

How early can we check in was disqualified for arriving 41 minutes early.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

And I have spent a lot of time on an IV balcony and you?

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

I Love both traditional balconies AND the IV cabins. But I totally agree with your statement about people discussing the IV cabins like it's a real balcony or even a faux balcony, when all it is is an open window and a room divider. That's why I always use the example of a family room with the opened sliding doors analogy. 

Thank you for this moment of clarity. There's nothing wrong with liking IV cabins for what they are.

Balcony, Veranda, Porch, pretty much the same thing depending on how you care to define yours. Whether open to the elements or enclosed with access to the outside, this structure serves the same purpose. Actually, if a house structure like this is enclosed it adds good value to your home. It becomes safer, more secure and more utilitarian. The Infinite Veranda cabin is a room with a balcony, or a veranda, or a porch...pick one. And just think, when that window is closed your cabin becomes a much more valuable place to stay. Considering this discussion, I think that next to last sentence fits very well.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have heard all of the complaints of the open/close window room.  But this video makes it clear.  If you close the doors so that you can keep the AC on you are in a box!  How unappealing can you get?  You are stuck in a small tin box?  So this is supposed to be some upscale cruise room?  LOL  I feel that the IVs are overhyped and seriously underperform.  Definitely not even close to a traditional balcony.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 3