Jim_Iain - Summit Live Post B3B Greenland / Iceland / Canada Aug 7, 19 and 31, 2022

Jim_Iain

8 hours ago, TraderSam said:

Wow! That Prime Rib... 😬A decent vet could have brought that cow back to life. 🐮 😉 

Loving sailing along with you as always.  We have visited Nova Scotia many times and would normally have been heading off soon but direct flights are stopping earlier this year and so we would miss out on seeing the fall colour.🍁😞

Anyway, I thought I would recommend visiting some of the wineries in Wolfville, if you get the chance. They have their own appellation, Tidal Bay. We certainly enjoyed our tastings.🍷 😜

I thought the same thing about the prime rib, and I prefer mine pretty rare, but that one’s blue!

Making a note about Wolfville. We are going on 2 cruises in 2023 that cover different parts of Jim and Iain itinerary and sadly, I think we will miss Nova Scotia - road trip!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Doesnt T- Mobile give you free data in the eu , so you wouldnt have change any settings 

I was with AT&T before. Every time I turn off the airplane mode I  get roaming charge.

I do know I get 5G data.

1 hour ago, cachouonacruise said:

Thank-you very much Jim for all the beautiful pictures of yourselves, the food and the visited areas. They really helped me re-discover a part of my own country, which I have not seen in a while! Bravo! 

I was amazed how much Halifax has changed since the last time we were there.    They have really developed the waterfront and so much activities going on.    100's of nice place to grab anything from a Gelato to a Fine Meal.

I'm sure it is helping the development of Halifax.    It is so clean and well maintained was a threat to re-discover.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, 5:00_Somewhere said:

FWIW, the affogato wasn't actually on the menu when a Cafe al Bacio barista first recommended it to us on the Summit a year ago, and again on the Reflection last March. They said, just ask. 😉 

I will certainly give it a shot.   I was drooling over a table next to use that had an Igloo  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

One of the many most disappointing things on our Apex TA in April , after waiting 2 1/2 years to get Apple fritters from Bacio , they stop making them 😢

on the upside , I could still fit into my pants on day 14 😁

I also loved those apple fritters.     I did discover they had the Sticky Buns.  

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

hey Jim,  JJ Cruise vloggers are on board.  Two great guys who did a LIVE the day you left.

If you see them go up and say hi as they are really great nice men who travel on ships a lot.

Will do.    I still have not seen many that I hoped to meet.   It's funny that people that eat late like us live a totally different schedule than we do.    We usually don't go down for drinks until 7:30.   

36 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

While that is true and it does work, depending on what you're doing on land at each port would determine whether you should pay extra for T-Mobile high speed data roaming. For years we used the free data and we did a lot of our own touring using Google maps for directions and recommendations for things to see, places to eat. 2G speeds are painfully slow once you're used to 5g LTE. If all you're doing is checking emails, social media, and the occasional restaurant recommendations, the T-Mobile free 2G international data plan is adequate. But if you're going to use Google maps for step by step tour info directions for 5-6 hours at each port it would behoove you to pay for the high speed data plan. We did exactly this this past May/June when we were in Europe for 5 weeks on the Carnival Pride. We paid for the 30 day plan, 1st time ever, and it was well worth the money. There were numerous people on our cruise complaining that Greece and Italy are technologically backwards because GPS doesn't work on their cell phones. It wasn't the countries that were backwards but not having the proper data connection on their phone that was the issue, which no one seemed to understand. 

Wonder if it is dependent on the plan you have.   I've had very consistent good service both with mapping and GPS.   I have the Plus plan.

T-Mobile Site -

MAX and Plus plans give you up to 5GB of high-speed data in more than 210 countries and destinations at no extra charge. Magenta, ONE, and Simple Choice plans give you up to 5GB of high-speed data in 11 European countries* at no extra charge.

24 minutes ago, verizon said:

I was with AT&T before. Every time I turn off the airplane mode I  get roaming charge.

I do know I get 5G data.

That was the main reason I dropped AT&T.     I used them for about 8 years.   They finally pissed me off enough -   I saw T-Mobile adds and they had a Free 30 Day Trial -  They sent me an iPhone and I used it to make sure I could get coverage where I lived and worked.     I found I got much better reception and speeds so I returned the loaner and switched over.

Lazy day today.   Went to Retreat for a light Continental Breakfast -  Greek Yogurt,   Berries and a yummy Almond Croissant along with a nice Cappuccino.    We ended up chatting with some friends and didn't get out of there until noon.    Left a little time to come back to the room and then to lunch.

After lunch Iain went for his walk and I was lazy and decided to take a nap instead.   

Spent the rest of the afternoon watching a movie.

Iain said that it was really windy on deck and overcast.    When he came back said it is probably time to break out the sweat shirts and sweaters. I just looked on the Celebrity App and it says it's 60F  

I'm glad they fixed our heater on day one.  

Tomorrow is St. John, Newfoundland and the ship will be staying on Ships time instead of having a 1/2 hour time zone shift.    I'll have to keep that in mind for our private shore excursion.

Ships tours were really limited so I booked a number of tours on Expedia.   Tomorrow's tour will be Puffin and Whale Watching.   The Captain said it is suppose to be clear and 70 tomorrow.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Wonder if it is dependent on the plan you have.   I've had very consistent good service both with mapping and GPS.   I have the Plus plan.

T-Mobile Site -

MAX and Plus plans give you up to 5GB of high-speed data in more than 210 countries and destinations at no extra charge. Magenta, ONE, and Simple Choice plans give you up to 5GB of high-speed data in 11 European countries* at no extra charge.

Yes, our plan is a senior plan that's no longer offered, but we're grandfathered. We pay $60 all in for 2 phones, no extra taxes or fees. That's unlimited data, call, texts, includes free international data roaming,texts, but at 2G speeds, and calls at .25/min. We actually debated whether to upgrade and in doing the math it would pay only if we were planning to travel overseas more. In our case we would like to travel less overseas, so we figured we'll pay per trip for a higher speed data plan.

But in your case you're getting free 5G data speeds, so you're good with that. 

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

While that is true and it does work, depending on what you're doing on land at each port would determine whether you should pay extra for T-Mobile high speed data roaming. For years we used the free data and we did a lot of our own touring using Google maps for directions and recommendations for things to see, places to eat. 2G speeds are painfully slow once you're used to 5g LTE. If all you're doing is checking emails, social media, and the occasional restaurant recommendations, the T-Mobile free 2G international data plan is adequate. But if you're going to use Google maps for step by step tour info directions for 5-6 hours at each port it would behoove you to pay for the high speed data plan. We did exactly this this past May/June when we were in Europe for 5 weeks on the Carnival Pride. We paid for the 30 day plan, 1st time ever, and it was well worth the money. There were numerous people on our cruise complaining that Greece and Italy are technologically backwards because GPS doesn't work on their cell phones. It wasn't the countries that were backwards but not having the proper data connection on their phone that was the issue, which no one seemed to understand. 

Am currently in Iceland.  Have TMobile.  Since 2G doesn’t exist except in a few places you are only slowed to what the country offers.  In Iceland almost 100% coverage with 4G (no 3G here) except 5G in a couple cities.  Maps updated just fine.  Better than the navigation system in our hire car. 

21 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Am currently in Iceland.  Have TMobile.  Since 2G doesn’t exist except in a few places you are only slowed to what the country offers.  In Iceland almost 100% coverage with 4G (no 3G here) except 5G in a couple cities.  Maps updated just fine.  Better than the navigation system in our hire car. 

Great to hear. We're booked next July on the Apex for Iceland, Scotland, and Ireland.

Brits used to get free calls and data roaming in Europe. However after Brexit we were informed that we there would be no change! Not surprisingly now for all new contracts you will be paying for calls and data roaming unless you have a very expensive contract. A Boris bonus. 

I toured New England use Waze as a Satnav on an IPad with a Three IPad Sim contract in 2019. No longer possible. 

Am purchasing a third party SIM to put in a spare phone for future travels. @kwokpot ‘s contract looks great. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Yes, our plan is a senior plan that's no longer offered, but we're grandfathered. We pay $60 all in for 2 phones, no extra taxes or fees. That's unlimited data, call, texts, includes free international data roaming,texts, but at 2G speeds, and calls at .25/min. We actually debated whether to upgrade and in doing the math it would pay only if we were planning to travel overseas more. In our case we would like to travel less overseas, so we figured we'll pay per trip for a higher speed data plan.

But in your case you're getting free 5G data speeds, so you're good with that. 

We got the One Plus plan at 90 for 3 lines and have my youngest daughter on it with us.  

They really have some good promos lately and gave us a free year of Netflix and recently a year free of Paramount.   I just have to set reminders to cancel at end of freebies 

• Like 1

On 8/9/2022 at 5:05 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks.   Had a great day.   Temps were nice and now at 5:00 the sun is breaking through

image.jpg

Loving your review and it is so interesting to see my great hometown city through a visitors eyes, I see things I haven't really 'seen' myself.  I love Halifax and all it has to offer and with water all around us it is a little peace of Heaven.  

Thank you for sharing your travels with all of us !

• Like 8

5 hours ago, jwlane said:

Europe is great for T-Mobile also!  Data is free (it slows after a certain point), and calls are only 25¢ per minute.  We used regular settings while ashore---on the ship, airplane mode (with wifi on).  If you need more calls, a 10 day pass is $35, 30 days is $50.

In Venice we paid 20 cents per call. We just needed to coordinate with the guide and other 2 on the tour.  I can’t remember taking my phone out of airplane mode though.  

i did get the pop up like Jim showed, it even listed the name of the local carrier.  It gave us other costs too.  

• Like 1

@Jim_Iain  I saw your post and have added Paretsky to the list.  I’ll wait a bit to see if anyone else offers suggestions before posting again so as to not gum up your great thread.  I used to read the Paretsky books a LONG time ago and had forgotten about them.  Thanks for the reminder!  I always enjoyed them.  No idea why I stopped.  I’m also going to add Sue Grafton to the list, one of my favorites....each book started with a letter of the alphabet.  A is for Alibi....she made it to Y is for Yesterday before she passed away.  Only one left!  Made me sad...

Joanie

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

@Jim_Iain  I saw your post and have added Paretsky to the list.  I’ll wait a bit to see if anyone else offers suggestions before posting again so as to not gum up your great thread.  I used to read the Paretsky books a LONG time ago and had forgotten about them.  Thanks for the reminder!  I always enjoyed them.  No idea why I stopped.  I’m also going to add Sue Grafton to the list, one of my favorites....each book started with a letter of the alphabet.  A is for Alibi....she made it to Y is for Yesterday before she passed away.  Only one left!  Made me sad...

Joanie

Iain read all of the Sue Grafton books and really loved them. 

So far really like the Parestsky novel so far.    You know how often the first in a series rambles around until the Author gets into the groove. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Hows the weather in Iceland.   It's starting to get colder.   We just arrived St. John and overcast and 56F.

Curious if your car has a USB port in it.   If you have an iPhone most cars are now Apple Play enabled and all you have to do is plug your phone in and the navigation from your phone pops up on the cars screen. 

• Like 1

Yesterday was windy on deck and chilly.   Internet has really been slow but still able to post pictures (slowly) and load web pages.   I'm curious  if it has to do with passenger load.    It's 7:00 AM and Internet really good and  I'm able to stream YouTube TV and watch the news from home on my PC.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

@Anita Latte and Others,

Here is the most recent update, with your suggestion added.

Georges Simenon Series 
Gideon Oliver -Aaron  Elkins  series 
Louise Penny’s Gamache series.

Dorothy L. Sayers Lord Peter Wimsey series

Any books by Josephine Tey

Barbara Hambly - Benjamin January series, if you like historical mysteries!
JD Robb books and Robert B Parker
The Scarapetta series by Patricia Cornwel
MC Beaton book
Elizabeth George’s Inspector Lynley Series.  
Donna Leon’s Brunetti series. 
Any books by Tana French
Any books by P. D. James.  
Greg Isles, a writer from Natchez, MS.
Snowblind” by Ragnar Jonasson.  (Book 1 of 6 - DarkIceland)
Cork O’Connor series by William Kent Krueger.  Also non-series books.
Brad Thor
JK Rowling (author of Harry Potter series), writing under the name Robert Galbraith -- the    
     Cormoran Strike series.

Andrea Camilleri -- the Inspector Montalbano series.

Helen Fields -- the Perfect series.

Karin Slaughter -- the Will Trent series

Daniel Silva - Gabriel Allon series

James Crumley —should be read in order
Winston Graham—Poldark series
Janet Evanovich—Stephanie Plum series.  Fox and Hare series.
Anything by Tim Dorsey or Carl Hiassen 
Old Archie comic books and Mad Magazine. 🙂
Ian Rankin’s Rebus series

Peter Robinson’s DCI Banks series

Nevada Barr’s National Parks series

Anything by Anne Cleeves

Richard Jury series by Martha Grimes - current times

Thomas Pitt series by Anne Perry - Victorian era

(and if you are planning a trip to Egypt check out theAmelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters)

Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City.  4 books.
The Longmire books by Craig Johnson.  Also suggest the fantastic series on Netflix.
David McCullough 'Path Between the Seas' (Panama Canal)
Caroline Graham Inspector Barnaby series. 

John Sandford , the Prey series and the Virgil Flowers series

Any books by Harlan Coben

Khalid Hosseini, A Thousand Splendid Suns, The Kite Runner

Cupcake Brown, A Piece of Cake

Andy Weir, “not science fiction but science plausibility”

Danelle Harmon Series

Caleb Carr -  The Alienist.

Anthony Horowitz, Magpie Murders/Susan Ryeland Series.  Also Horowitz & Hawthorne series

Rex Stout, Nero Wolfe books, later written by Robert Goldsborough

Ruth Ware

Stuart Woods, Stone Barrington series.  #61 just published.

Tess Gerritson

Lisa Scottoline.

Michael Connelly Bosch books

Lee Child Reacher series

James Lee Burke Robicheaux

Patricia Cornell Scarpetta books

Jonathan Kellerman Delaware books

Greg Iles

Jeffrey Deaver Lincoln Rhymes series

Nelson DeMille

John Grisham

Scott Turow

Pat Conroy...more family drama than mystery

The Outlander series

Brad Meltzer

Jonathan Maberry’s Joe Ledger series

The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo and Daisy Jones & The Six (same author)

I just finished American Dirt and loved it so much I bought two more of her books.  

Iris Johanse(EveDuncan series, and others).

Colin Dexter Inspector Morse series

David Baldacci—Amos Decker, Atlee Pine and John Puller series

JA Jance

Karen Rose

Carol Goodman, The Stranger Behind You,  plus other books.  Contemporary suspenseful fiction.

I Am ….. series of The Ackerman Thrillers by Ethan Cross e.g. I Am Fear, I Am Pain etc.

• Like 1

Amuse Bouche. watermelon, Goat cheese and Balsamic 

ED07C9E9-EAC9-4BF1-A667-37400C4B638B.thumb.jpeg.4877bcbe4f1ef38ed976f978229157bd.jpeg

Sea Food Veloute like many soups come out with a two part presentation 

9A9D37AF-E951-4094-8B4C-4DEC65385AB3.thumb.jpeg.87015a2afb401e4024c0fb19579e82b8.jpeg

4DD8055A-81FB-4ABC-9A17-53AD22391CD1.thumb.jpeg.7153010cd1afca4f07361d061be011a0.jpeg

Main Course

Iain had the Guinea Hen (which is actually Cornish Game Hen)

A4AA0716-2574-4125-A93D-B02826217C81.thumb.jpeg.926713442c1bce8d7351e0fd3a130b73.jpeg

I had the Rigatoni. 

B7C8D47A-E1CC-44E1-A98E-5C8D2F5C7E18.thumb.jpeg.f346fe78748ca52619e0c2d95e499e0c.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1