Jim_Iain - Summit Live Post B3B Greenland / Iceland / Canada Aug 7, 19 and 31, 2022

Jim_Iain

21 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Well as Julia Child is fond of saying.   You can eat anything but the key is moderation and portion control which is very difficult on a ship.

A lady at the next table had the Luminae had a Luminae Burger.   She was trying to cut in half horizontally because it was so thigh she couldn't wrap her mouth around it.  

I swear it has grown from original size to about 1/2 pound burger.    I've yet to have one.    I like the size of the burgers at the pool bar.   Perfect size and I think I prefer the flavor. 

That is where my DH gets a burger, as I usually do not have one onboard; however, with my b2b/TA's, it sounds like a possibility...I love almond croissants way too much!  😋

Edited by Lastdance

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

For any of you have never heard of Heritage House it's a lovely place with private cottages on the property.    The Movie - Same Place Next Year with Alan Alder and Ellen Burstyn was filmed there.  They have two cabins attached --- Same Place and Next Year  which were used for the filming. 

We've stayed there, its awesome.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I had the Cobb Salad

Were the edges of the hard cooked egg grey or is that just the color of the photo?  One of my pet peeves is improperly cooked hard( cooked, not boiled) eggs. 

For any of you have never heard of Heritage House it's a lovely place with private cottages on the property.    The Movie - Same Place Next Year with Alan Alder and Ellen Burstyn was filmed there.  They have two cabins attached --- Same Place and Next Year  which were used for the filming. 

Love Heritage House - so beautiful there. Also love the movie.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Dinner - 2nd Chic Night

76938063-82FF-4B21-8FF1-1793BD6A2CBC.thumb.jpeg.bbf21ace088fbf794be5d1c97f7982f3.jpeg

2AD3FDB7-AAA2-47E5-B3C9-0B7C5C7AA4D3.thumb.jpeg.db8653cb69a4d1705774558cf3a5a784.jpeg

21DBEB5D-A4D9-470F-9BF6-1B85BE2F603C.thumb.jpeg.572b3aed6fd8549d0332bcc42199d4dd.jpeg

Egg drop soup

D6987191-4597-4329-AB43-FE1FBDF39ACC.thumb.jpeg.8efbda4d2f021049d34814ca99e0403b.jpeg

Lamb Meatball and yogurt sauce 

4F201A3C-68C4-491A-92EE-2A8624246BB6.thumb.jpeg.cc2d05b1bf11a6e358ff1c09c65b8102.jpeg

Fluke

C4B141E1-EC3A-4031-B37E-3454D8C76708.thumb.jpeg.d2293163f4088ba3cc921ece6ca9493b.jpeg

Spaghetti CarbonaraCanberra

All look interesting but for us we would go with the Prime Rib..

The Celery Soup is one our favs on X,  DH got a recipe one yr from the amazing  chef at Bistro on Five where we used to eat our lunch each day...We had 24 for dinner on Thanksgiving ( dtrs then new inlaw family)  DH made  that soup...What a huge hit.  They asked for 2nds and 3rds..they were slurping their bowls.

We always found Celeb to excel at soups and salads...yummy!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Actually, I think you are referring to the movie "Same Time, Next Year".  One of my favorites.

6:30 PM ish  

The fog horns have been blowing.   As nice approaches the visibility is dropping by the minute and would guess less than a couple hundred feet at this point.   It does chill you to the bones if you step outside.

Definitely going to dress warm tomorrow.   Our tour is also recommending bug repellent.

what kinda bug can live in those temps?  😂

14 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Unfortunately true but in California we have a vote to add it to the State Constitution.   But that vote also invalidate our first marriage.  

The whole debate makes me angry!  It’s a civil contract designed among other things to set property rights and inheritances!  I guess  spent too much time in those debates in the now defunct Amazon Forums.  (Sorry for the rant! … Deep breaths,)

Can you explain more about why your first marriage becomes invalid?  

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

The whole debate makes me angry!  It’s a civil contract designed among other things to set property rights and inheritances!  I guess  spent too much time in those debates in the now defunct Amazon Forums.  (Sorry for the rant! … Deep breaths,)

Can you explain more about why your first marriage becomes invalid?  

Thought I'd share this. 9 years old and still relevant. Occasionally politicians surprise you

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Unfortunately true but in California we have a vote to add it to the State Constitution.   But that vote also invalidate our first marriage.  

Huh?  What am I missing?  Banning gay marriage is technically in our State Constitution, but overturned.  I think the plan now is to try to get it out, which can only be done, apparently, by yet another proposition.  

10 hours ago, calicakes said:

Were the edges of the hard cooked egg grey or is that just the color of the photo?  One of my pet peeves is improperly cooked hard( cooked, not boiled) eggs. 

They looked grey to me too.  Yuk!  Whoever cooked them needs to go back to cooking school and relearn the proper way to hardboil eggs! 

My tip (for what it's worth).  Place room temperature eggs in saucepan.  Cover with cold water from the tap.  Bring to the boil and lightly boil for 6 minutes (7 minutes if they're large eggs).  Drain and fill saucepan with cold water.  Drain again then plunge eggs into an ice water bath to cool down.  Once cooled peel them immediately.  Place on plate and cover with cling wrap and place in fridge until ready to use.  Simple really.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, LC1950 said:

They looked grey to me too.  Yuk!  Whoever cooked them needs to go back to cooking school and relearn the proper way to hardboil eggs! 

My tip (for what it's worth).  Place room temperature eggs in saucepan.  Cover with cold water from the tap.  Bring to the boil and lightly boil for 6 minutes (7 minutes if they're large eggs).  Drain and fill saucepan with cold water.  Drain again then plunge eggs into an ice water bath to cool down.  Once cooled peel them immediately.  Place on plate and cover with cling wrap and place in fridge until ready to use.  Simple really.

On a transpacific there was a guy that wanted his soft boiled eggs a particular way. It took  few days but they chef got it right until about half way through the cruise.  Then it became a joke with the waiter bringing a dozen eggs boiled for different times to find the egg cooked correctly.  The only thing we could figure was the pressure had changed.  I missed the whole gang that went down to eat the rejected eggs.  He has done this trip numerous times and I never was clear that this hadn’t happened before.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I have had my eye on a place called Harbor House Inn in Medocino. Just this past week showed DH photos and info on the place. It has a very fine restaurant on site, also.

What the couple from Mendocino told us the Fine Dining Restaurant a Heritage House is currently only serving Breakfast.   Their website is saying they hope to resume Dinner service in Summer of 2022 - hmmm..  Covid has taken such a huge toll on so many places.

The Harbor House is a real treat.   Just make sure you can get Dinner Reservations prior to deciding you you stay if you wish to dine in the 25 seat restaurant .   They are a 2 Green Star Michlien Farm to Table local sourced.  For a real teat arrange dinner in your room.  Their tasting menu at about $250pp is a delight and very memorable.

If I recall they are closed the Restaurant is closed on Tuesday's and Wednesday.

12 hours ago, Lastdance said:

I have never tried one, but my DH said he would split one with me!  Now, I know what to do to keep it manageable.

I usually just cut it in half (Vertically).   I once at a whole one and couldn't eat dinner I was so full.   I would guess they are about 2 inches thick. 

8 hours ago, ecslady said:

Actually, I think you are referring to the movie "Same Time, Next Year".  One of my favorites.

You are of course correct.   It was such a good film. 

Edited by Jim_Iain

12 hours ago, Lastdance said:

That is where my DH gets a burger, as I usually do not have one onboard; however, with my b2b/TA's, it sounds like a possibility...I love almond croissants way too much!  😋

Those Almond Croissants are fantastic.   They also have them at al Bacio as well as Retreat Lounge morning continental.   They may also have them at the Elite and above Breakfast.   We have not yet done the continental breakfast there as we thought it would be mobbed with 1,300 CC members.   We did however talk to someone that has gone there on this trip and assured us it wasn't too crowded and only had to wait a couple minutes to be seated.

Ok --- the reason we go to Retreat is that Luminae closes at 9:00 and Iain doesn't get out of bed until about 9:15.    The Retreat and CC breakfast are open until 10:00

• Like 2

11 hours ago, calicakes said:

Thankfully just the picture.   I agree a poorly cooked egg is a real turn off.

8 hours ago, bunzini said:

Bug Repellant?  That surprised me.  I don't think that would have been on my list to things to bring to Greenland/Iceland.  I guess the cold would have scared the bugs away!

Make sure you research it.   They also recommend bug net hats for both Greenland and Iceland.    In Iceland no Mosquitos but the pesky little midges. 

In Greenland Mosquitos are rampant during the summer any place where there is standing water (everywhere) but do not carry disease.

9 hours ago, hcat said:

All look interesting but for us we would go with the Prime Rib..

The Celery Soup is one our favs on X,  DH got a recipe one yr from the amazing  chef at Bistro on Five where we used to eat our lunch each day...We had 24 for dinner on Thanksgiving ( dtrs then new inlaw family)  DH made  that soup...What a huge hit.  They asked for 2nds and 3rds..they were slurping their bowls.

We always found Celeb to excel at soups and salads...yummy!

The Prime Rib is always a knock out, but I had just had it on.   Funny that they have been repeating some items very close to the first time on the menu.   We should be getting to the standard menus now that we have passed day 7.

We really enjoy the Soups.  I think my favorite is the Smoked Tomato soup.

4 hours ago, abbydancer said:

Huh?  What am I missing?  Banning gay marriage is technically in our State Constitution, but overturned.  I think the plan now is to try to get it out, which can only be done, apparently, by yet another proposition.  

Yea... should be an interesting election in November as they also will be enshrining the rights of women to choose for themselves on matters like abortion.   

I tell you that after being married and the citizens of California voting to make gay marriage was a real slap in the face.    Luckily the State Supreme court quickly ruled that existing marriages were grandfathered.    What a mess for taxes though.   The Feds would not allow us to file a Joint Return.    I put down Married as a protest.   They made us file a Partnership Return (like a business)  We had to put 1/2  our income and expenses on each other's returns.   To file our accountant had to create 5 different returns to comply with both state and federal law. 

1 hour ago, LC1950 said:

Interesting will have to try it.

Ok... recently I found a YouTube video on cooking the perfect poached egg.  It seems so easy but be a difficult task. 

Probably the most important part is to have Fresh Fresh Eggs... which most of us don't have.   If you don't have a chicken in the back yard.    Crack the egg into a strainer and let it sit for a couple minutes.  A lot of liquid will come off but the white and yolk will stay intact.   Pour from strainer into gentle boiling water (no stirring like many do)    The form the perfect egg with none of those nasty looking feathers.     Cook 1 1/2 - 2 minutes and immediately plunge into Ice Bath.   Before serving just drop in hot water for about 30 seconds.  

The things I find on YouTube.

• Like 3