Permanent Cutbacks on Carnival

JT1962

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

Given the seemingly increased rates of fights on their ships, maybe Carnival should have chosen to keep their loyal guests happy vs. courting new guests from the bottom of the barrel.

Check YouTube, recent fights on both RCI as well as NCL.  It's not just Carnival.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mz-s said:

So charge us more. Look at Disney - they had to close their park for COVID, they've started charging more for everything, and yet the parks are still full every day. People want to travel and they want a good experience when they're spending their money.

you don't even get a good experience anymore at Disney and they still keep coming! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

you don't even get a good experience anymore at Disney and they still keep coming! 

Indeed, I view Disney parks as something parents with young kids have to suffer through until they lose their enthusiasm for it and grow out of it. It's insane beverage prices, ridiculous priced food prices, long lines, short rides and more long lines. You spend a whole day for maybe an hour of actual fun, the rest is lines and getting fleeced at every turn. Hard to believe so many choose to spend their time standing in lines, fighting crowds and getting fleeced. I just don't see the appeal and the value is simply not there.       

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Hard to believe so many choose to spend their time standing in lines, fighting crowds and getting fleeced.

Wait, are we talking about the inch-of-gold sale or Disney? 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

When were the comedy shows cancelled?  Been on 6 since restart and shows on every cruise?  The mdr having steakhouse items is an OPTION.  Been around  for years.  

You read these threads way too fast, Jim. They were clear, they answered the question. Happy Cruising.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, wemjam said:

And I still don't understand the animosity toward Carnival for cutting back a few things to be able to keep the lights on.  Hotels are stupid expensive, airfare is stupid expensive, Food OMG stupid expensive, etc. etc.  If they have to cut some small corners so be it.  Its either that or we just start paying higher and higher rates.

Agreed, I am not going to bash Carnival for cutting back on steaks when the price of beef is through the fricking roof.

I don't go on Carnival to have a prime grade AA cut of steak at the sea day buffet.

At pig and anchor, I ask the guy to pile some more brisket and sausage on my plate and he was more than happy.

My drinks are still strong and plenty of other food options. I am not going to lose any sleep over the steak at the sea day brunch. My cruise will not be ruined because of it.

• Like 7

On 8/4/2022 at 9:19 AM, willyt25 said:

As someone who enjoys the Havana area I will really miss the food service in Ocean Plaza.  That was such an easy place to grab a bite without having to brave the lido during peak breakfast and lunch hours.

Same. This actually gave me pause in booking another Havana sailing until we see how things shake out. I enjoyed being able to walk around the corner and grab something to eat. It made up for the lack of a private dining area (like Haven or Yacht Club).

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

You read these threads way too fast, Jim. They were clear, they answered the question. Happy Cruising.

I don't know about the shows, but I did read airlines have canceled another 1100 flights today. 1248 flights yesterday. How do those fraudsters get away with it? One of their biggest excuses is staffing shortages.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I don't know about the shows, but I did read airlines have canceled another 1100 flights today. 1248 flights yesterday. How do those fraudsters get away with it? One of their biggest excuses is staffing shortages.

Fewer Playlist Productions might be a good thing 🙂 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mz-s said:

Given the seemingly increased rates of fights on their ships, maybe Carnival should have chosen to keep their loyal guests happy vs. courting new guests from the bottom of the barrel.

Fights are not just happening on Carnival, but also on other cruise ships and other places.  Disney had two fights in the same week and several this year.

https://people.com/travel/massive-brawl-breaks-out-between-families-at-disney-worlds-magic-kingdom/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

MDR has real breakfast unless that's another cutback.  You want filet mignon, bacon, eggs your style, a bunch of Italian and Spanish egg stuff like fritatas (sp)?  You got it plus much more.  Plus the OJ in MDR at breakfast is surprisingly very, very good.

Yes, of course I know that. This was in regards to room service (a "full breakfast" on the balcony).

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

I don't go on Carnival to have a prime grade AA cut of steak at the sea day buffet.

Nor do I.  But is it one of the things that makes my cruise that little bit better...and it isn't there any more.

37 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

At pig and anchor, I ask the guy to pile some more brisket and sausage on my plate and he was more than happy.

And if they cut back on your brisket and sausage in the name of cost-savings, will you still be more than happy?

As others have mentioned, there are valid reasons why the cutbacks are happening.  But at the same time, I think I'd like to just pay $20 more or whatever they think is the differential to get that better Steak at brunch two or three times during my cruise.  (I'm assuming the price diff is about $10 per lb, and I know I'm not getting a 1 lb steak...).  Which reminds me, the $23 upcharge for Steakhouse selections in the MDR is somewhat annoying, considering I have essentially pre-paid for the MDR main...charge me the differential in the cost, not the absolute cost...

• Like 5

Don't think that inflation hasn't affected Carnival, other cruise lines and hospitality in general.  My wife and I noticed that the packs of chicken breasts we buy on a regular basis have increased over 40% in the last four months.  They are also paying these much higher prices for the food they serve and everything else, so they either have to raise prices drastically or make cuts to help ease the costs some. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

. . . And why hasn't anyone complained about the lack of dessert choices in the MDR?  There are the standbys of warm chocolate melting cake, ice cream and cheese plate.  And then the rotating ones are one sugar free option and only one regular option instead of at least three or four back in the day.

I agree - this has been a little disappointing.

7 hours ago, breadandbutter said:

Carnival just keeps lowering the standards and quality of food. I'm ditching them, I've had enough. When I go on a cruise I like to have a good choice of quality (and tasty) food, not Golden Corral!

I say good luck to you, then. We have never been impressed with the food on Royal or Norwegian. In particular the dessert offerings on both lines have been disappointing (not with choice but with flavor). I will say that Norwegian's buffet is slightly better than Carnival's, but there are so many other options on Carnival that it makes that a wash.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I think I'd like to just pay $20 more or whatever they think is the differential to get that better Steak at brunch two or three times during my cruise.  (I'm assuming the price diff is about $10 per lb, and I know I'm not getting a 1 lb steak...).  

We agree and FYI the precooked weight of the petite filet mignon was 6 oz. It was so tender and delicious that we sailed 9 cruises on Panorama from October through March. It was late March when the filet was removed from the menu and the subpar strip loin substituted with its gristle and lines of sinew making it tough and inedible. We're trying Carnival Magic in November and hoping to see some of our old favorites on the menu again. 

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

We agree and FYI the precooked weight of the petite filet mignon was 6 oz. It was so tender and delicious that we sailed 9 cruises on Panorama from October through March. It was late March when the filet was removed from the menu and the subpar strip loin with its gristle and lines of sinew making it tough and inedible substituted. We're trying Carnival Magic in November and hoping to see some of our old favorites on the menu again. 

From what I saw regarding the strip loin from meagan's review, it looked quite edible.

37D5BD9F-C685-4EBF-8008-D5E315437241.thu

• Like 3

7 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

And why hasn't anyone complained about the lack of dessert choices in the MDR?  There are the standbys of warm chocolate melting cake, ice cream and cheese plate.  And then the rotating ones are one sugar free option and only one regular option instead of at least three or four back in the day.

Maybe no complaints because the warm chocolate melting cake is just so good!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

From what I saw regarding the strip loin from meagan's review, it looked quite edible.

37D5BD9F-C685-4EBF-8008-D5E315437241.thu

That looks better than what we were served in March. The strip loin that was served in the MDR was the same as the brunch and neither ever looked as good as this. Really, it didn't.

I never realized Megan travels with a child. That beef looks like it's from the Steakhouse Selections on the MDR menu but can't be sure because it's been cut up for a child. 

Blerk, please let us know your opinion of the strip loin served at brunch when you've had it yourself. 

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

That looks better than what we were served in March. The strip loin that was served in the MDR was the same as the brunch and neither ever looked as good as this. Really, it didn't.

My experience with the strip loin was to never order it again - but that was my luck with the flat iron also, yet other people had better experiences.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

My experience with the strip loin was to never order it again - but that was my luck with the flat iron also, yet other people had better experiences.

Yes, I agree. The flat iron is a tricky cut and if not butchered and trimmed correctly there is a wide band of sinew that runs through it making it tough. That's one reason some said theirs was tough and the person seated next to them would proclaim it tender. But the petite filet mignon was simply the best piece of beef included in the cruise fare and we sure do miss it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

Id it was clear, I would not have asked.  Unless you know better than I but thanks.