Testing could be changing again as of the 14th

7 hours ago, topnole said:

Yeah.  I’m not trying to offer a solution.  I’m simply stating there has been and will always be the issue of sick people boarding ships.  And I disagree with you and still believe many is the appropriate word.  I’m not saying most or a certain percentage, just that it is many.  In a situation of very large numbers, many is the correct word.  For example, many people get shingles every year.  It is very small percentage of people, yet many still get it.  Royal boards about 30000 passengers a week just in oasis class

ships.  Let’s say they board 60-75k a week throughout the fleet.   That would be 240-300k passengers per month.   If only 1% board sick, and I’m sure it is higher than that, you are talking about thousands of passengers boarding sick every month.  The reality is that it is much higher than that.   So I do think many is a more than appropriate term.  

People are selfish.  It is a basic assumption in economics models.  There is not debating it.  Plus many folks are

uninformed as to how contagious certain illnesses can be.  

We went to a birthday party with our young daughter.  36 hours later she was ill all night.  Turns out one of her little best friends was throwing up just the night before and her parents still brought her because they didn’t want to miss the big party.  Well, several of us were then up all night tending to our poor little kids and cleaning up messes.  All because of the careless, ignorant, and selfishness behavior of these parents.  You don’t bring a kid to a party when they were throwing up the day before.  Stomach bug viruses (and there are many of them) almost all cause the person to be contagious after they feel better.  And they are highly contagious and require very thorough cleaning to kill (ie. Bleach not other types of cleaning agents).  That is why these things get passed on so easily.  And so many people just say they had food poisoning and go out spreading it the next several days.  That is what these parents just assumed.  Barring very clear evident everyone should assume the opposite, but many don’t because they are selfish.  “Must of just been something I ate, I’ll still go because I feel better now. “.   Recipe for a lot of sick people.  

Well, you have your own opinion and perspective of "many".  So, do I.  I think we won't see eye to eye on this.  But, I will respect that you have a right to your own opinion and perspective.  

5 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Well, you have your own opinion and perspective of "many".  So, do I.  I think we won't see eye to eye on this.  But, I will respect that you have a right to your own opinion and perspective.  

I tend to think it's 'some', but enough that they have had to change the rules to deal with them.  Even during the height of the norovirus outbreaks, there were still people leaving (or trying to leave) the restroom without washing hands - public shaming was in full force anytime I saw someone walk straight to the door.  🙂

40 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Fair enough.  

4 hours ago, flamingos said:

I tend to think it's 'some', but enough that they have had to change the rules to deal with them.  Even during the height of the norovirus outbreaks, there were still people leaving (or trying to leave) the restroom without washing hands - public shaming was in full force anytime I saw someone walk straight to the door.  🙂

Did the 'shaming' do any good?  😀

• Like 1

On 8/5/2022 at 5:20 PM, Jimbo said:

Not scared to go out, we still go out. But do so wisely, we don't go anywhere where are near anyone else for a time greater then 10 or 15 minutes at a time.  Granted working from home helps greatly.

So we aren't sitting with strangers around us eating for hour  and 15 minutes or more like in the Main Dining Room or 45 minutes in a theatre on a cruise ship.

If we go to a ball game at home, we sit in the stands away from people etc.

Grocery shopping, in and out in 15 minutes, never wait in the long lines, use self check outs.

Unlike some we are a lot my thoughtful of others. Probably more then a lot on this board and yes we do test ourselves once in a while and have no issue when doing  it.

People should just self test when going on vacations at this time I think no matter what kind of vacation it is.  It's just the kind thing to do for others.

Just when it comes to testing like the cruise lines want just do it without putting up a fuss. If you want to cruise you just do what the cruise lines want. If you don't want to follow their rules stay home. It's so easy.

Why is everyone so against what the cruise lines  thinks is best at this time. When they feel it's not needed then we all go  with that.

Best not come over here then (UK) there is literally no Covid restrictions in place people have just got on with it.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, never_cruised said:

Best not come over here then (UK) there is literally no Covid restrictions in place people have just got on with it.

Thanks for the info, really no reason or plans to go to the (UK).

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Does the USA have any restrictions? 

For the most part, no. Some cities still require masks for public transportation. Some cities still require masks and vaccines for kids in school. Some employers still require vaccines.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

Just some medical facilities (not all) require a mask and cruising, obviously.  Otherwise no restrictions at all around here.

There is another thread (hell, it may be this one) that discussed this.  I stated that our medical facilities no longer require masking.  Well, I went to my PCP on Thursday and, YEP the mask sign is up again.  It's so ridiculous.  It is the parent company's mandate.  My doctor hates it.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, never_cruised said:

there is literally no Covid restrictions in place people have just got on with it.

And I envy that.  But, you have a lot of other issues that we can't talk about here.  

• Like 2

Well hopefully testing will be lifted for those vaccinated regardless of cruise length. At the same time I am fine with them lifting the testing for unvaccinated as well but I can understand if for Public Relations purposes they need to keep the testing requirement for unvaccinated guests. 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2022 at 12:14 PM, xpcdoojk said:

Jimbo, by this logic, we should all test each and everytime we leave our homes.  

We wouldn’t want to infect the other patrons and staff at Waffle House either.  Don’t ever get a haircut without a test. Think of the poor barber.

I, personally test each morning before I leave for work and each evening when I return home.  That way, I am protecting everyone I meet.  I feel so much better about myself now.😆

jc

Difference is if you are going to get someone sick at least they are at home , instead of stuck on a cruise ship in a tiny cabin that they paid a lot of money for which they thought was for a vacation and ruined it for them and got them infected.

Take a simple test like the cruise lines want right now and don't complain about, it's not a big deal. If the cruise lines don't require the tests at a later time then it's  fine.

In the end you have a choice, if you don't like doing what they are asking, don't cruise at this time.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ret MP said:

There is another thread (hell, it may be this one) that discussed this.  I stated that our medical facilities no longer require masking.  Well, I went to my PCP on Thursday and, YEP the mask sign is up again.  It's so ridiculous.  It is the parent company's mandate.  My doctor hates it.  

My PCP, my dermatologist, GYN, all of them have never lifted their mask requirement, or their health screening questions.  They are allowed to protect themselves.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I went with my youngest kid to America's Best (optometrists/opticians) and immediately upon walking in, one of the three young girls in the store yelled at us to put on our masks.  We haven't worn masks here in at least 6 ,months so we don't carry them and they had to provide them.  Ironically, two of the three girls, including the one who yelled at us, had there masks hanging down below their chins. 

I ask my patients to use masks and so does every single other healthcare provider that I know and use (including all Quest and Labcorp locations). It isn’t a political issue. Probably a shaman around somewhere who won’t care either way.

Edited by AlohaLivin
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I know this probably won't be popular opinion and I won't engage any arguments. Retired health care worker..  And now since the majority Population (meaning more than half) has received the vaccine, the non vaxxers are in the minority. Keep vaccine requirement in place but drop testing. if you choose to forego the vax, I respect your choice (but I still dont understand) but your choice does come with consequences

• Like 21
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, rudeney said:

I went with my youngest kid to America's Best (optometrists/opticians) and immediately upon walking in, one of the three young girls in the store yelled at us to put on our masks.  We haven't worn masks here in at least 6 ,months so we don't carry them and they had to provide them.  Ironically, two of the three girls, including the one who yelled at us, had there masks hanging down below their chins. 

I have been to the opticians lately looking for new frames and they were all requiring masks. But they don't have to require it. I respect their policy. I would not wear a mask if they did not require it but it is no big deal to me. 

Off topic, America's Best is cheap but they are America's Worst. They have a store are in my building which would be convienient and I would never use them based on past experience. If you want inexpensive glasses for kids I suggest Costco if you are a member or Walmart.