The Sanctuary

Pickels

5 hours ago, Odonpeg said:

Can anyone tell me the Sanctuary hours that are available for reservations? It sounds like a morning reservation or an afternoon reservation but what hours specifically? 

We only ever booked the 1 pm to 5.30 pm slot

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Odonpeg said:

Can anyone tell me the Sanctuary hours that are available for reservations? It sounds like a morning reservation or an afternoon reservation but what hours specifically? 

The morning slot is 8 am to noon afternoon is 1-5 (:30ish) 

when I have booked only the afternoon I’ve asked the day before if I can come at noon and if my lounger isn’t booked they say yes. This gives more time for lunch. If I remember correctly you can order lunch from noon to 1:30 or 2. They serve afternoon tea at 3. 

• Like 2

@HaveDogWillTravel, Kathy was kind enough to go up the Sanctuary for me and confirm that you are correct, they are no longer charging the $3!  She was surprised they said this as she has also spent a lot of time up there and asked to see a new menu to confirm. 

• Thanks 1

I'm booked on an Emerald Princess cruise to the Panama Canal and thinking of booking the Sanctuary on canal day.  Can those of you that have done this describe your experience and did you think that it was worth it or would walking around the ship be a better experience?

1 hour ago, Vulcan Rider said:

Hello All

Great information on this post. We love the Sanctuary and will take our first cruise on the Sky post pandemic in February. Question: what is the pricing for the cabanas?

Thanks in advance

Al

Keep in mid that there are two different "types" of Cabanas on the Sky. The cheaper ones are just outside the Sanctuary in the Retreat pool area, and the expensive ones are inside the Sanctuary. The Sanctuary cabanas are full service, with sofas, loungers, a TV and fridge etc. Back last November we had one booked on the Sky for one day but cancelled due to weather. IIRC the daily charge was $200 total, while the cost for a full day for two loungers was $80 ($40/pp) I suppose if you have more than 2 people, the cabana could be a good deal.

2 hours ago, Vulcan Rider said:

Hello All

Great information on this post. We love the Sanctuary and will take our first cruise on the Sky post pandemic in February. Question: what is the pricing for the cabanas?

Thanks in advance

Al

Here’s my invoice from April this year on Discovery. It’s $220 full day and $140 half day cabana rental for up to 2 people. One person costs the same as 2.  You can not invite people to join you as your guests. They would have to rent their own lounger. 

Earlier in this thread I posted a bunch of photos showing what’s included with cabanas. You get a 375 ml bottle of booze or a bottle of wine for each half day rental. We ended up with like 8 half size bottles of Bombay gin that we couldn’t drink.  You get a full set of waters and cans of soda for each half day as well. I asked my steward if he’d like the cans of soda and he did. So we swapped out for his favorite type and gave him 16 sodas EVERY day!  

The cabanas outside the sanctuary on Discovery are free and for anyones use. They don’t have any amenities though. 

690CF1E8-DE4D-4704-AEE3-D649B1295A1A.jpeg

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 1

On 9/6/2022 at 10:53 AM, Host CJSKIDS said:

@HaveDogWillTravel, Kathy was kind enough to go up the Sanctuary for me and confirm that you are correct, they are no longer charging the $3!  She was surprised they said this as she has also spent a lot of time up there and asked to see a new menu to confirm. 

Thanks for coming back with this information.  I’m getting ready to start sailing again now that school is back in session lol. I’ll be on some new to me ships so I’m pretty excited. Glad to know what I can expect in terms of the sanctuary.  

37 minutes ago, Kabuki12 said:

I'm booked on an Emerald Princess cruise to the Panama Canal and thinking of booking the Sanctuary on canal day.  Can those of you that have done this describe your experience and did you think that it was worth it or would walking around the ship be a better experience?

I’ve done the Panama Canal and I’ve booked sanctuary on a glacier bay day. So not quite exact experience you are looking for. But I can tell you the price for a lounger will double and you have to book the whole day…..so $80.  The cabana stayed the same $220. 

You really want to be moving around the ship as you go through the canal. On the Emerald you have really great outdoor viewing areas. There’s a full promenade deck so you can get great forward, aft, starboard and port views close to the water.  Deck 18 mid ships has my favorite viewing platform for almost 360 panoramas. Deck 17 and 16 aft have lots of great viewing areas. It’s either Lido or Riviera deck forward that has a great forward viewing deck.

That said  I think the sanctuary would be worth it anyway as a place to get away to after being all over the public decks.  It’s so peaceful and lunch there would be really nice.

48 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I’ve done the Panama Canal and I’ve booked sanctuary on a glacier bay day. So not quite exact experience you are looking for. But I can tell you the price for a lounger will double and you have to book the whole day…..so $80.  The cabana stayed the same $220. 

You really want to be moving around the ship as you go through the canal. On the Emerald you have really great outdoor viewing areas. There’s a full promenade deck so you can get great forward, aft, starboard and port views close to the water.  Deck 18 mid ships has my favorite viewing platform for almost 360 panoramas. Deck 17 and 16 aft have lots of great viewing areas. It’s either Lido or Riviera deck forward that has a great forward viewing deck.

That said  I think the sanctuary would be worth it anyway as a place to get away to after being all over the public decks.  It’s so peaceful and lunch there would be really nice.

Thank you, I will take your advice and rent the sanctuary for a home base but walk around the decks that you have recommended.  I can't wait!  

2 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Keep in mid that there are two different "types" of Cabanas on the Sky. The cheaper ones are just outside the Sanctuary in the Retreat pool area, and the expensive ones are inside the Sanctuary. The Sanctuary cabanas are full service, with sofas, loungers, a TV and fridge etc. Back last November we had one booked on the Sky for one day but cancelled due to weather. IIRC the daily charge was $200 total, while the cost for a full day for two loungers was $80 ($40/pp) I suppose if you have more than 2 people, the cabana could be a good deal.

Sorry...but think that you are mistaken....there are no Cabanas in the retreat pool area on the Sky...they did away with those when they put cabins about the outside area of that deck.

22 minutes ago, chrysalis said:

Sorry...but think that you are mistaken....there are no Cabanas in the retreat pool area on the Sky...they did away with those when they put cabins about the outside area of that deck.

Fair enough. It WAS a while ago when we were on the Sky, I must have been thinking of the  older ships like Regal etc.

12 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Im currently on the Sky and there’s no forward facing public areas on Decks 16 or 17, only the Sanctuary another deck up again. 

10 hours ago, devonuk said:

Im currently on the Sky and there’s no forward facing public areas on Decks 16 or 17, only the Sanctuary another deck up again. 

Correct the Royal class ships have very few public viewing areas and no forward facing public viewing areas. I am talking about the Emerald here, a Grand class ship that the person I was replying to is sailing on. 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel

33 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Correct the Royal class ships have very few public viewing areas and no forward facing public viewing areas. I am talking about the Emerald here, a Grand class ship that the person I was replying to is sailing on. 

There is one - the Majestic.  And that is because there is no Sanctuary.  Rather the area is enclosed and has almost 100% glass roof covering.  It is a public area and there a forward viewpoints.

5 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

There is one - the Majestic.  And that is because there is no Sanctuary.  Rather the area is enclosed and has almost 100% glass roof covering.  It is a public area and there a forward viewpoints.

Ahhh yes!  Thanks for correcting that. I was on her for the inaugural and enjoyed reading up there on those couches.