The Sanctuary

Pickels

We have sailed previously with Princess and when we did, we reserved The Sanctuary for the entire cruise.  The location, and staff were simply outstanding.  Does Princess still offer this option and, if they do, on what ships?  thanks all!

• Like 1

They still offer the option, on all ships to the best of my knowledge. But, unfortunately, it's highly sought after and competitive these days. You literally have to run up there as soon as you board (no option to book before boarding), and even with Elite status, it's hit or miss whether there will be any spots available by the time you arrive. We have waited in lines for more than an hour on recent sailings, only to be shut out or to get a spot for a single half-day.

Even on our May Alaska cruise on Discovery, it was booked up. We got 2 half days, but it was sad to see how many people had reserved but never showed up. If passengers don't have the courtesy to officially cancel the reservation, the crew cannot release the spots, even if no one ever shows up.

Plus, in my experience, if you're on a ship that's doing the 7-day eastern/western Caribbean itineraries, there will be a lot of people doing back-to-back sailings for both weeks, and they are permitted book their week 2 during their week 1. We find it nearly impossible to get a spot on a 7-day Caribbean sailing these days, for this reason. And this is especially true of Royal Class ships, as they have fewer loungers in the Sanctuary than on the Grand Glass ships, especially loungers in the shade. If you're willing to spring for a Cabana, you may have better luck, but that gets expensive.

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but wanted to share our experiences. Hope the information is helpful. 

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 5:00_Somewhere said:

But, unfortunately, it's highly sought after and competitive these days. You literally have to run up there as soon as you board (no option to book before boarding), and even with Elite status, it's hit or miss whether there will be any spots available by the time you arrive. We have waited in lines for more than an hour on recent sailings, only to be shut out or to get a spot for a single half-day.

I would say this is true for Caribbean itineraries and perhaps also for the ones heading to west coast Mexico.  In the tropical areas, it is a challenge for sure and you need to scoot right there and also be among the early boarders.  @Pickels, you didn't mention when/where planning to sail, but there is certainly less demand on port-intensive and areas like northern Europe, South America, etc.  I don't even have a sense the Mediterranean zone is anything like the Caribbean for accessing Sanctuary. 

ETA:  If you get there and line is an hour long, you are toast.  When I have booked Sanctuary (Caribbean), I have been among the first couple of people up there - even when I had to board after the Elites.  And no, I am not an Olympic-class runner, but when there is a will, there is a way.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 2

Thanks everyone for your input; yes, I recall on our Princess cruise, first thing we did before anything else was to scoot up to the Sanctuary and reserve our loungers. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

Does anyone know where I can find the Sanctuary Menu?   Maybe somebody has been nice enough to post an image of it here if it is not on the Princess website.

There was never anything much on it.  With the new MC App feature to order food and drink and have it delivered where you are on the ship, I'd go with the larger selection in the App versus what's on the Sanctuary menu.  Cheaper too that way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Does anyone know where I can find the Sanctuary Menu?   Maybe somebody has been nice enough to post an image of it here if it is not on the Princess website.

Here you go. To say the sanctuary stewards are accommodating is an understatement. They will get you any combination of things on the ship you want. The menu is exclusive to sanctuary and I love it. 

DBB822B1-9CF3-4D48-802C-F09D8D5340E0.jpeg

36E802E1-91C5-458D-A109-6A04DF23A277.jpeg

FB61A746-DD91-47EC-85F4-2ABFDA390059.jpeg

8428163C-7DD4-4528-8CC9-2AB12021F11B.jpeg

597853C8-7558-4ED0-AC41-3079E8C4B468.jpeg

38D48E7C-328A-4511-BE71-97DF13ECEDD0.jpeg

55269531-A3B2-479F-8835-9A352B785CC2.jpeg

103F6A50-57F4-4970-806B-D594827C298B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

There was never anything much on it.  With the new MC App feature to order food and drink and have it delivered where you are on the ship, I'd go with the larger selection in the App versus what's on the Sanctuary menu.  Cheaper too that way.

While I eat the room service MC ap food all the time and like it, I will say it simply pales in comparison to sanctuary food. 

That’s like comparing MDR or CC breakfast to Sabatini’s specialty breakfast for full suites. 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

While I eat the room service MC ap food all the time and like it, I will say it simply pales in comparison to sanctuary food. 

That’s like comparing MDR or CC breakfast to Sabatini’s specialty breakfast for full suites. 

Interesting.  I guess I should check it out next time I am there.  It never really appealed to me in the past.

• Like 1

Will Travel, thanks!  That is impressive, photos and all!

The Sanctuary Stewards are usually really great.

Especially if you have several days, or the cruise booked and they know you.

We have walked in with our bag of sunscreen, phone, etc..  and our breakfast pastries and fruit in our hands, they great you at the entrance, carry all of your stuff, get you all set up.  It is so nice!

Have never tried the 'healthy' snacks and food though!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Couldn't agree more. The food is amazing in the sanctuary. Love the shrimp with white beans and the fatoush salad. Very fresh and always worth the $3 delivery fee. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Interesting.  I guess I should check it out next time I am there.  It never really appealed to me in the past.

Try it out for an afternoon on a sea day.  Have lunch from their menu and then enjoy the beautiful afternoon tea they serve. You will not need to eat dinner that night lol. At $20 it is the best deal on the ship. And you get those lovely loungers, attentive drink service, and a hot tub private to the sanctuary (on the Discovery at least not sure about other Royal class…..yet)

I love the cabanas when they are available (not all ships have them) but they are a real splurge. We got one for the week on Discovery as it was our 20th anniversary.  

4C6151CB-A730-40E5-9D4B-48924F4400AD.jpeg

D6F0B594-5EA6-456A-843B-D6A2DCA6E31F.jpeg

586E7172-423C-42C5-812E-3CE8DF3B9526.jpeg

2FE522B3-AA25-4F2D-AA79-CD34C3345087.jpeg

31891393-0620-4BC5-8DB9-E9DAD608C571.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Couldn't agree more. The food is amazing in the sanctuary. Love the shrimp with white beans and the fatoush salad. Very fresh and always worth the $3 delivery fee. 

Hmmm there’s no delivery fee in the sanctuary. Are you sure they charged you?  If they were going to charge anyone it would have been me though. Lol.  I order the chicken salad with a shrimp skewer from that entree and then have them add the avocado from another of the dishes to my salad. I’ve been in sanctuaries on Discovery, Grand, Island and Ruby quite a bit and have never paid a delivery fee. 

The menu doesn’t post one either. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Try it out for an afternoon on a sea day.  Have lunch from their menu and then enjoy the beautiful afternoon tea they serve. You will not need to eat dinner that night lol. At $20 it is the best deal on the ship. And you get those lovely loungers, attentive drink service, and a hot tub private to the sanctuary (on the Discovery at least not sure about other Royal class…..yet)

I love the cabanas when they are available (not all ships have them) but they are a real splurge. We got one for the week on Discovery as it was our 20th anniversary.  

Oh, LOL.  I guess I have left wrong perception.  I am very familiar with The Sanctuary and its accoutrements - been there many times and had afternoon "tea" as well.  I just never ordered from their menu.  I always preferred to stretch my legs and go and get my own food for lunch.  And I would pop down to the bar below if I wanted a drink since I often order something non-standard if ordering a drink.  I don't need to be waited on hand-and-foot all day long.  But I know they will do that.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 3

I am kind of that way too!   We have only enjoyed a few days in The Sanctuary, but I enjoyed venturing out for a dip in the Retreat Pool,  to grab a lunch snack and hear the afternoon music for a few minutes on the (yes, loud and crowded, but more lively) main deck.   I am not usually picky and demanding.  But if we a are lucky and get in the Sanctuary on our next cruise...  Hand and Food, bring it on!!!  As long as the stewards are not really busy and seem accommodating, of course.

We need to remember to have a nice cash tip handy!

7 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Hmmm there’s no delivery fee in the sanctuary. Are you sure they charged you?  If they were going to charge anyone it would have been me though. Lol.  I order the chicken salad with a shrimp skewer from that entree and then have them add the avocado from another of the dishes to my salad. I’ve been in sanctuaries on Discovery, Grand, Island and Ruby quite a bit and have never paid a delivery fee. 

The menu doesn’t post one either. 

unless they did away with it recently, there was a $3 fee when ordering off their menu that wasn't always charged. It was only if you ordered from the spa menu. Like you, I have spent a tremendous amount of time in the Sanctuary and it used to be on the menu. For the life of me, I can't remember if it was there this past cruise. 274CCA83-CFB7-4FD9-94B5-57F47D7CAB8F.thumb.png.ebf35775a7df450ee06e6087aa07658f.png