Carnival and Princess removed pre testing for vaccinated

I know I'm interrupting the covid stories here, but I'd like to focus on the OP's post...and remind everybody that Royal said they will be making an additional announcement on August 14.  

What do you think?  I think they'll do what the other lines are doing.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, foxgoodrich said:

I know I'm interrupting the covid stories here, but I'd like to focus on the OP's post...and remind everybody that Royal said they will be making an additional announcement on August 14.  

What do you think?  I think they'll do what the other lines are doing.

That's what we hope.  We're doing a b2b on Jewel in Nov.  I fully expect RCI to follow suit.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Why take the chance, do you really have to take a cruise at  this time?

isolation cabin, with 2+ hour wait for room service, rather be at home.

Service not up to par to boot.

We can always count on you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

doesn't really help if you test before you get infected.

Everyone tested (allegedly) before our May RCI cruise, yet so many were sick and we got Covid on that cruise.

So, what you're saying (but not saying) is that it doesn't matter if you test or not. Chances you will or won't get it are the same if everyone tests or there is no testing.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

it wasn't all that mild in June for us. Vaxxed and boosted.

For us either.  We got it on the Oasis 7/22/22 sailing.  My husband just finally tested negative yesterday 8/11/22. 
I took the antivirals because I was really sick.  Like almost hospital sick.
We are both vaxed and twice boosted.  We've been on 8 cruises before the Oasis.  The difference was the Oasis was full capacity, the crew had covid (our one server disappeared on day 4 never to be seen again and the captain was quarantining for covid)  The ship was dirty, not enough staff. 

We have 5 more cruises planned before the year end.   I'm just going to wear a mask the whole time on the ships. 
I think, for us, that it was a fatal combination of us not being exposed to natural germs for 2.5 years, being older with certain health issues and a way overcrowded ship with high levels of covid in the NY/NJ area.    The ship was ridiculous.  We normally  don't sail in the summer but we brought our daughter and her family to enjoy spending time with them.
They just had boosters about 10 days before we left on the ship.  But this was first and last for a summer cruise.  Way too many families for us and way too big of a ship.  It was fun, but we prefer the Anthem class of ships.  And in the winter.  When kids are in school.  😄 

• Like 1

I suspect only a small minority will change their cruises depending on the ever evolving protocols. The vast majority will just follow suit and moan in the backgroud.

Do people pic the cruiseline, ship or destination? That will factor if they accept the protocols or not. 

Something else that’s interesting - I’m sailing tomorrow on anthem and while testing is still required did my pre-cruise health check today - it’s changed to three questions:

1. Are you fully vaccinated ?

2. Are you boosted?

3. Are you over 26 weeks pregnant?

No mention of having covid or symptoms at all. Perhaps an indicator that vaccination is going to be the key thing now?

• Like 1

I would have thought that Royal would have ended the stupid testing after NCL did. With Carnival doing the same yesterday, they now have no choice but to follow the leaders. I expect an announcement sometime today. After making the vaccine announcement such a big deal, it seems like they put the cart before the horse, and don't really know what to do other than make an announcement about protocol changes. Frankly, I'm disappointed in Mr. Bayley on this one.

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

it wasn't all that mild in June for us. Vaxxed and boosted.

Hopefully you'll have some immunity from catching it in June.

In the UK cert.  of Recovery thru the NHS is 180 days from a positive PCR test. I believe it's more difficult to catch the same strain twice (though I appreciate some people do)

1 hour ago, beardedladies said:

Something else that’s interesting - I’m sailing tomorrow on anthem and while testing is still required did my pre-cruise health check today - it’s changed to three questions:

1. Are you fully vaccinated ?

2. Are you boosted?

3. Are you over 26 weeks pregnant?

No mention of having covid or symptoms at all. Perhaps an indicator that vaccination is going to be the key thing now?

I just saw that!  Are you sure it said 26 weeks? Mine was 23 weeks.

1 hour ago, deliver42 said:

I would have thought that Royal would have ended the stupid testing after NCL did. With Carnival doing the same yesterday, they now have no choice but to follow the leaders. I expect an announcement sometime today. After making the vaccine announcement such a big deal, it seems like they put the cart before the horse, and don't really know what to do other than make an announcement about protocol changes. Frankly, I'm disappointed in Mr. Bayley on this one.

Totally agree. I just didn't understand dropping the vaccination requirement for sailings out of certain ports before dropping testing for vaccinated people....made no sense whatsoever to me. Now they they are going to have to retract and change their new protocols even before implementing them....so confusing. 

Edited by bajathree
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, bajathree said:

Totally agree. I just didn't understand dropping the vaccination requirement for sailings out of certain ports before dropping testing for vaccinated people....made no sense whatsoever to me. Now they they are going to have to retract and change their new protocols even before implementing them....so confusing. 

I thought the same thing. It made no sense to drop the vax requirement while keeping the testing for Vaxed and boosted. It’s time to stop the testing.  It just makes no sense now.

• Like 7

I'll give rcl time but I'm not booking them again until testing is dropped. I'd book carnival first. There are a few princess this winter out of Galveston I could squeeze in one maybe. I'm sick and tired of testing. I have little to no chance of testing positive before my cruise.  I'm not out and about much except during cruises. That's the only chance to get it. Not before.  

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I thought the same thing. It made no sense to drop the vax requirement while keeping the testing for Vaxed and boosted. It’s time to stop the testing.  It just makes no sense now.

It makes sense when the CDC finally admits natural immunity is a thing and says vax and unvax should be treated the same, all the while still lumping cruise lines in the same bucket with prisons and nursing homes for testing

28 minutes ago, retired dude said:

my favorites are the a------- that get the covid  and  continue to roam the ship like nothing happened and spread their goodness to their fellow passengers....narcissism remains supreme in today's society.

Just like the good ole days when people got colds and roamed the ship and no one cared.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, poocher said:

It was wrong before.  It’s wrong now.  I don’t care WHAT you’ve got, keep it to yourself!!!  Don’t be spreading it all over my bacon!!!!

You do realize you are exposed everyday to people who have little to no symptoms but are contagious with a variety of things right?  Whether or not your actually get sick is just luck of the draw.  

• Like 5

I do know that.  If you are sick, stay away from people.  It’s the right thing to do.  If you don’t know you’re sick, well what are you gonna do? Childhood diseases such as measles & chicken pox are contagious before any symptoms are exhibited.  Maybe God was tired that day & didn’t think it through 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Blauelini said:

Who cares. My next cruise is to Alaska so we have the obligatory waste of time in having to stop in Canada for 5 hours (5p to 10p; like what in God's earth are you going to do with that time frame when you are packed for disembark 12 hours later) so we will have to test regardless. I would not be surprised if the Canadian government has this in place still come summer 2023.

This is us exactly!  Don't even plan on stepping foot into Canada, but still have to test.

10 minutes ago, BND said:

You do realize you are exposed everyday to people who have little to no symptoms but are contagious with a variety of things right?  Whether or not your actually get sick is just luck of the draw.  

Kind of a blanket generalization.. not everyone is exposed every day to covid or anything else. I live alone and only go out to shop or doctors. If I'm alone how could I be exposed to covid alone in my house. It's like people wearing masks alone in a car. 

Let's stick to facts and not sweeping generalizations here.

I just was seeing a blogger saying that a lot will book now and how prices will rise on the lines who lifted tested. .. they sure got my interest. 

4 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Kind of a blanket generalization.. not everyone is exposed every day to covid or anything else. I live alone and only go out to shop or doctors. If I'm alone how could I be exposed to covid alone in my house. It's like people wearing masks alone in a car. 

Let's stick to facts and not sweeping generalizations here.

I just was seeing a blogger saying that a lot will book now and how prices will rise on the lines who lifted tested. .. they sure got my interest. 

Are you kidding?  I don't think that really needs to be said, but in case someone is that obtuse.   People who are out and about are exposed all the time to all kinds of illnesses/virus/bacteria.    People who go grocery shopping, to church, to Dr's appointments, open doors that others have opened, breathe, etc.  

Edited by BND

I don't weigh in on here very often anymore.... but I am going to add my 2 cents.

At this point in time, I believe it is up to the individual to protect themselves and not rely on the "perceived" health status of others. By perceived I mean that although everyone is tested before boarding, we all know that people are catching covid after they test and then boarding with it, or they have covid but haven't yet tested positive (this happened to my daughter and she finally tested positive on day 5).  So what I mean is,  it is up to the individual to protect themselves, and wear a mask. I have zero issues wearing a mask in an indoor crowded space and will do that on my b2b in November. I am relying on myself to stay safe onboard.

Edited by ckrobyn
  • Like 11

2 minutes ago, ckrobyn said:

I don't weigh in on here very often anymore.... but I am going to add my 2 cents.

At this point in time, I believe it is up to the individual to protect themselves and not rely on the "perceived" health status of others. By perceived I mean that although everyone is tested before boarding, we all know that people are catching covid after they test and then boarding with it, or they have covid but haven't yet tested positive (this happened to my daughter and she finally tested positive on day 5).  So what I mean is,  it is up to the individual to protect themselves, and wear a mask. I have zero issues wearing a mask in an indoor crowded space and will do that on my b2b in November. I am relying on myself to stay safe onboard.

Absolutely and I have said the same a few times.  Each person has to be responsible for themselves.  

• Like 3