One Time ArriveCan exemption

8 hours ago, Sprocket said:

Land border only, I live 10 minutes from the border and no way would I attempt to cross without it.

I don't think that if you have already used ArriveCan you would be offered this one time exemption, because they know that you know about ArriveCan.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gnome12 said:

I don't think that if you have already used ArriveCan you would be offered this one time exemption, because they know that you know about ArriveCan.

Friends of ours crossed the border by car last week. Although they had done so earlier this year and had used ArriveCan, they forgot that it was still required. My friend was given the opportunity to stop and enter the info before proceeding into Canada. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Why land borders only? Why should an American visitor driving to Canada be given a mulligan but not one flying into Canada? Given the chaos at airports, it seems like (another) poor decision.

People flying likely have been told about ArriveCAN by their airline. People driving from the US may not know about the requirement. The US media is hardly interested in Canadian border crossing and drivers may depend on pre pandemic knowledge.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, broberts said:

People flying likely have been told about ArriveCAN by their airline. People driving from the US may not know about the requirement. The US media is hardly interested in Canadian border crossing and drivers may depend on pre pandemic knowledge.

Given the volume of complaints from CBSA members working at the airports about having to assist flyers in completing their submissions, one of the causes for the slowdowns with arriving flights, I'm guessing that the airlines haven't had much success passing on the message. When a submission was required prior to boarding your flight to Canada, there were few related issues at Canadian airports, but once the responsibility for ensuring that passengers had completed their submission was shifted CBSA officers, there was a definite slowdown. 

• Like 2

I don't understand the complaints re:  ArriveCan.  I  did the same as others here:  did a "dummy" entry, entered everything I could early, and then entered the last minute information quickly and easily right before our land/driving trip.  It took no time at all.  I liked having everything in one place and easily accessible.  And sorry if this sounds cold, but if you're traveling anywhere, either by land or by plane, you need to be a responsible planner, researching your destination and the requirements for that destination.  The only time I can see a "free pass" being needed is in a case of emergency (someone fleeing an unsafe situation, etc.).  People traveling for pleasure or business, etc. need to be organized and prepared.  And how could anyone not know about this?  Unless you live in a cave, by now all should know about Canada and its expectations.  Many countries have special requirements, and it's our responsibility as travelers to respect those requirements, or we don't get to travel there.  We are hopefully cruising to Australia, NZ, Fiji, etc. next year and are already doing the research about what "extras" those countries are requiring.  For example, Australia requires us to pay a fee for a special entry visa for that country.Not trying to stir things up, but I suspect many who say they "didn't know" or "forgot" or are "confused" by it are simply not fans of ArriveCan and wish it would go away. 

• Like 2

On 8/13/2022 at 10:52 AM, daisy-mae said:

Friends of ours crossed the border by car last week. Although they had done so earlier this year and had used ArriveCan, they forgot that it was still required. My friend was given the opportunity to stop and enter the info before proceeding into Canada. 

And that's how it should be. An 'oops' and a correction.

• Like 3