New testing guidelines

rvlandandsea

My Beyond sailing on 10/26 is 9 nights departing Bayonne, NY and the first stop is Bermuda so it's likely they won't eliminate testing for this cruise.

I'm ok with that.  I prefer knowing virtually everyone on board is vaxed, boosted, and tested negative.  That's no guarantee of anything, but it's one more layer of comfort the ship wont be an infectious steaming pot of oozing Covid. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, MarinerAlex said:

In the news today, Carnival bookings are soaring after they changed their testing guidance... just saying

Yep, same just reported on CNBC, attributed to relaxed restrictions which eliminated testing up to I believe 16 nights where visiting ports allow. It would appear RCL will be under mounting pressure to align their testing with the other major lines ASAP. Has been reports on both RCL and Celebrity forums where Canadian site for I believe RCL is referencing no testing for under 9 nights, USA site does not reflect any such change. If so, RCL really appears to be falling behind the competition on the restriction lifting issue. 

1 hour ago, lovecruzin said:

I don't see a downside to doing it within 2 days and then you’re covered.

3 days really just makes it easier to get a PCR test done and get the results back.  

1 hour ago, MarinerAlex said:

In the news today, Carnival bookings are soaring after they changed their testing guidance... just saying

Carnival is actively marketing the protocol changes. I just got a text message from them.

• Like 1

Currently on the US Celebrity site, I checked the info for Italy and it does state non-proctored/monitored tests are allowed 2 days prior for vaccinated. Make sure that the ‘Beginning on September 5th, 2022’ area is selected. It is very clear. 

For vaccianated. 2 days. For unvaccinated 1 day. 

quote: “A negative test result from any commercially available test, including self-tests, will be accepted. Tests do not have to be monitored or proctored. Test results may be presented as a printout, screenshot or photo of the test result or the actual test.”

den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Currently on the US Celebrity site, I checked the info for Italy and it does state non-proctored/monitored tests are allowed 2 days prior for vaccinated. Make sure that the ‘Beginning on September 5th, 2022’ area is selected. It is very clear. 

quote: “A negative test result from any commercially available test, including self-tests, will be accepted. Tests do not have to be monitored or proctored. Test results may be presented as a printout, screenshot or photo of the test result or the actual test.”

den

Yup that’s what I’ve been saying…… it’s crazy

44 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

den

Well we join Reflection on the 5th September for a b2 b looked to see what the Ap said re testing, what you say is what I see except if your cruise visits any Greek ports you still need the proctored test! So have ordered the tests to do via video link, the expense is nothing compared to the stress! 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, KatieDub said:

If someone has covid but wants to get on the ship they simply do the test without taking a sample from their nose. Voila negative test. It doesn't prove anything. Of all the changes regarding testing I don't understand this one at all.

Or get someone else to do it for them! 

39 minutes ago, di T said:

Well we join Reflection on the 5th September for a b2 b looked to see what the Ap said re testing, what you say is what I see except if your cruise visits any Greek ports you still need the proctored test! So have ordered the tests to do via video link, the expense is nothing compared to the stress! 

There has been so many threads on this subject I forget where I’ve posted various info, but think this is new:

We cruise after 5 Sep, 24 Oct, but will take monitored test kits with us. Our TA out of Rome stops in Bermuda, and that requires one. And even if that changes, I’ll carry one ‘just in case’. Not a big deal.

den

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Concretemanstan said:

UK celebrity site also showing no testing for cruises 9 nights or less from US ports.  I expect that RCI will follow very soon.  A bit like Carnival followed P&O and Cunard on the same day

That would be great, going on a 9 night Sept 17. Equinox out of Port Everglades.

5 hours ago, MarinerAlex said:

Just as likely that the increase in booking is due to unvaccinated making bookings and will follow the testing guidance for unvaccinated.

2 hours ago, laslomas said:

Just as likely that the increase in booking is due to unvaccinated making bookings and will follow the testing guidance for unvaccinated.

Quite possible.  I suspect that the vaccinated are generally ok with a 2-day pre-cruise test repertoire.  Allowing the unvaccinated back onboard is much more likely to result in a surge of bookings.  Though I suspect X wouldn't see nearly the same surge as Carnival.  

10 hours ago, MarinerAlex said:

Their bookings almost doubled...  Take that to the bank.

I would eventually expect to see full ships.

Edited by NMTraveller

As I said, the honor system going forward.  The large majority of Celebrity cruise passengers will take it seriously and comply with it IMHO.  Some will not and nothing is ever absolute.  As for me, I am totally ready to get past pandemic mode and just live with the virus in society.  Much of that is believing in the integrity and goodness of most people cruising Celebrity.  I will keep my vaccinations Up To Date and be cautious but that's it.  Others who choose not to be vaccinated at this point will not change.  I am betting that most Celebrity cruisers have some decent immunity - vaccinated or not- and will not cause serious outbreaks on ships.  Positive cases yes.  Serious illness no.

• Like 4

I personally know three couples who went on three separate Celebrity cruises to Alaska all within the last three months. All of them tested positive for COVID upon their return home. So, on one hand, you really have to question the real benefit of testing. But, on the other hand, I still feel better knowing that everyone has tested negative prior to boarding the ship.

If the testing changed or even made it so that we could test 3 days ahead, I would like to go down to FLL at least two days ahead.  However, to change our flight would probably cost us $200 to make new flight.  Also no guarantee that Celebrity will change their policy before December.  Oh for the good ole days.

As the lines start NOT requiring test, it will be harder and harder for those passengers that do have to get the test done to actually find one.  I doubt the proctoring service can survive without a certain number of customers.  

I think this will be what drives most lines to NOT require testing..folks just won't be able to find one.  

5 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

As the lines start NOT requiring test, it will be harder and harder for those passengers that do have to get the test done to actually find one.  I doubt the proctoring service can survive without a certain number of customers.  

I think this will be what drives most lines to NOT require testing..folks just won't be able to find one.  

That's another reason why they will go to non-proctored at-home tests.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I think you raise a valid point. Some of the locations we looked at back in Dec no longer do testing or are not doing the rapid antigen test. I have an appointment next week at a place called test4free.org... They are in a parking lot. I keep going on line to make sure they are still there. Now so far..it appears that they are still "test for free", but I warned DH that we could be surprised when we get there.