Question about Mdr menu choices

retird

I noticed when reading the posted mdr menus in reviews that the only nights that Shrimp Cocktail and Escargot are included as appetizers is on Gala nights.   On all other nights, shrimp cocktail is under indulgence at an up charge.   Is this new on Holland America?  

The cruise lines had finally gotten away from "nickel-and-diming" until the advent of covid. Now it seems half the items on the menus, even in the for-fee restaurants, have additional upcharges. Pinnacle, for instance, thinking they are Ruth's Cris. But charging for shrimp cocktail, which has been standard (and even "always available") on every line I've sailed? Crazy.

• Like 3

Escargot has always been a gala night only item to my knowledge.  There are  the large shrimp cocktail is now gala night but there are some seafood  cocktails offered.  I never understood the appeal of the HAL shrimp cocktail, I would rate it just ok.  I like the other cocktail concoctions better 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

An up charge for a Shrimp Cocktail when it is not on the regular menu has been seen on my menus for some time.  It does not compare to what is offered in Sel de Mer.

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

Escargot has always been a gala night only item to my knowledge.

Agree.  Interesting to me, the galley's preparation of the MDR of escargot is different from its preparation when I dine in Sel de Mer.  Both are good, however.  

12 hours ago, albingirl said:

The shrimp cocktail is nothing to write home about.

Once I was served a Shrimp Cocktail with huge Prawns.  These were the largest "size" I have been served.  Looked good; tasted OK; but, the toughest "shrimp" I have ever eaten!  Larger is not better at times.  

• Like 4

@albingirl, I'm another fan of Gulf shrimp vs. farmed raised Asian shrimp.  @rkacruiser, lots of people go ga ga over jumbo shrimp but I think they're only useful when you're going to stuff them.  Small to medium sized are more tender and flavorful in my opinion.  

• Like 6

Okay, so I looked into this a little further and it's a bit more complicated-- scroll down to the seven-day  daily MDR dinner menus for the 2022 K-dam posted here: https://profcruise.com/holland-america-complimentary-dining-menus-2022/  This is a great resource, BTW, lists all menus in all venues (hey, I'm a poet).

First night: crab seafood--including shrimp--cocktail, no upcharge.

Jumbo shrimp cocktail, $8.50--better be some darn good skrimp, as we call 'em in the South! This item, for $8.50, is listed every night. (As are all the fancy cuts of beef, for $$)

Second night:  Orange jumbo shrimp cocktail, no upcharge

Third: crab seafood, again

Fourth: Caribbean ceviche, mainly shrimp

Fifth: Crab seafood

Sixth: Crab Louis (lump crab with dressing)

Seventh: coconut shrimp; crabcakes 

And that's it. 

Side note: they now offer mac 'n cheese every night

Edited by sofietucker
  • Thanks 1

We frequently have the "lobster snobs"... the only real lobster is the wild caught type. Now we have the shrimp snobs. Both totally ignore the reality of needing the large supply of whichever, needed to supply a cruise ship with thousands,  maybe tens of thousands,  weekly. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

We frequently have the "lobster snobs"... the only real lobster is the wild caught type. Now we have the shrimp snobs. Both totally ignore the reality of needing the large supply of whichever, needed to supply a cruise ship with thousands,  maybe tens of thousands,  weekly. 

I am not ignoring the realities.  I simply order something else.  If I want shrimp cocktail I go elsewhere, as simple as that. Since cruise ships serve thousands 3+ meals a day I do not expect them to be as fine a dining experience as a quality  restaurant.  Of course I am going to get better shrimp dockside where the shrimp boats come in but I don’t expect to get crème brûlée there either.  All of that said the HAL large shrimp cocktail is not one of their finest selections.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Maisyboo said:

.Creme brûlée seems to be missing from the MDR menu . Is this true ? 

I am currently on the Niew Statendam. Creme brulee has been on the dinner menu

in the MDR every night. If you were on a different ship and it was not on the menu, 

you should ask for it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, BetsyS. said:

I am currently on the Niew Statendam. Creme brulee has been on the dinner menu

in the MDR every night. If you were on a different ship and it was not on the menu, 

you should ask for it.

That is a longer, special cruise so I would expect to possibly see “special” things on it.  That said it’s worth an ask.

4 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I am not ignoring the realities.  I simply order something else.  If I want shrimp cocktail I go elsewhere, as simple as that. Since cruise ships serve thousands 3+ meals a day I do not expect them to be as fine a dining experience as a quality  restaurant.  Of course I am going to get better shrimp dockside where the shrimp boats come in but I don’t expect to get crème brûlée there either.  All of that said the HAL large shrimp cocktail is not one of their finest selections.

Don’t you know you are supposed to eat anything put in front of you without complaint 🙄.  You should also be belittled for your dining choices.  Personally I’d rather not eat something that I don’t like but clearly that is not the standard.  I do wonder what people eat at home.  A while  back people on cruise critic were raving about tomato pie.  I’m a good cook and I’m always trying new things so I couldn’t wait to try it.  It was so greasy after one piece I had to throw it out.  It was one of the worst things I’ve ever tasted.

• Like 2

Wondering what people eat at home: good point. I try to choose things that I've not eaten before or are too complicated to make at home (or I won't make for just a couple of people: hello, Beef Wellington). I'm a failure at egg whites but love a pavlova--guess what I'm having for dessert? 

That being said, my English BFF doesn't like food that's been "messed with." On cruises, she eats from the limited  "every night" choices--the ones that used to be listed on a separate page but are now rolled into the rest of the menu: plain steak, chicken, and salmon. Ice cream. And she's perfectly thrilled with her dinner that she didn't have to cook, lol. Good for her--to each our own.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sofietucker said:

Wondering what people eat at home: good point. I try to choose things that I've not eaten before or are too complicated to make at home (or I won't make for just a couple of people: hello, Beef Wellington). I'm a failure at egg whites but love a pavlova--guess what I'm having for dessert? 

That being said, my English BFF doesn't like food that's been "messed with." On cruises, she eats from the limited  "every night" choices--the ones that used to be listed on a separate page but are now rolled into the rest of the menu: plain steak, chicken, and salmon. Ice cream. And she's perfectly thrilled with her dinner that she didn't have to cook, lol. Good for her--to each our own.

I’m the same as you.  The only time I go to the always available would be if all the other choices sucked.  That doesn’t happen too often for me but I don’t eat in the mdr a ton at night.  I guess for some Big Macs and wieners and beans rule 😛

• Like 2