Maximum age on shore excursions? WHAT?

ddled

1 hour ago, Rusty_lock said:

This is age discrimination!  Just like weight restrictions they should be banned.  People any age at all should be allowed to watch birds and no matter how big I get I should be allowed to ride the hot air balloon in Cococay. 

🎅

While I did agree with you, after that 14 year old young man died on the ride in Orlando after getting thrown off due to his size, I’ve realized that some times it’s not discrimination that dictates rules, but safety.

• Like 8

I agree this is really discriminatory.  People can sign a waiver and take personal responsibility for what they can do.  Over 75 might be pushing it for some snorkel activities or big mountain hiking but some under 65 are in a lot worse shape then those over it. Weight restrictions I can understand as this has to do with safety equipment.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rusty_lock said:

This is age discrimination!  Just like weight restrictions they should be banned.  People any age at all should be allowed to watch birds and no matter how big I get I should be allowed to ride the hot air balloon in Cococay. 

🎅

Feel for many on here but many Rides/Attractions the weight limits are not for the Ride itself but on the safety equipment to get a person down if it broke down. This includes North Star

• Like 2

Liability issue, especially when excursion has moderate or greater activity level. Pertains to ability to get insurance, etc. I'd book a private tour. BTW - Princess had quite a few 72-75 age limit excursions (also weight limits, etc.) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I agree this is really discriminatory.  People can sign a waiver and take personal responsibility for what they can do.  Over 75 might be pushing it for some snorkel activities or big mountain hiking but some under 65 are in a lot worse shape then those over it. Weight restrictions I can understand as this has to do with safety equipment.  

True - but not all discrimination is illegal.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ChutChut said:

Liability issue, especially when excursion has moderate or greater activity level. Pertains to ability to get insurance, etc. I'd book a private tour. BTW - Princess had quite a few 72-75 age limit excursions (also weight limits, etc.) 

Unless you're taking a ride in the Delorean to see some prehistoric birds, I'm having a hard time imagining how bird watching has a moderate or high activity level.

• Like 2

It really is a shame they have these policies in place.  It sends the message that once you reach a certain age, there is little to no chance you might still be physically fit and want to participate in active excursions.  It's insulting and discriminatory.  The most fit person in my gym is a 74 year old woman.  She goes multiple times a day, every day, doing spin classes, HIIT classes, pilate, cardio, and all manor of strength training.  There are lots of folks like that. I hope to be one of them some day (only 50 now).  They should allow a waiver, wouldn't that cover things?  So stupid.  It should just allow you to click a button in the booking saying if you're over a certain age, you accept full responsibility if anything happens, etc etc.

Just curious, are they actively enforcing this or is it just lip service?  I saw on a Celebrity thread that it was greyed out and they were unable to click on it for booking because they were over the age limit.  Is Royal the same?

• Like 3

17 hours ago, ddled said:

I am 71 and I guess I am too old to cruise on Royal Caribbean anymore. Pretty soon they can just strap me into a wheel chair when I get on board and feed  me gruel for a week !! wow

no need to be dramatic.

Just book private excursions - it'll be cheaper and more personable anyway.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ddled said:

I just looked on Carnival-no age restrictions, same tours in Cozumel,  Costa Maya.  I may have my last Royal cruise booked-at my age I can't remember where I put my money anyway!  What a rip off!   If anyone from RCL reads these boards, you are alienating an entire part of your base! Next thing on ship they will limit attendance into the lounge or some of the activities at 65.  If Carnival is doing it.....?  Insurance is a convenient excuse-I would not have led 30 of my friends on Royal if I knew this was there policy-Bah Humbug!!!

Age and weight restrictions are not controlled by Royal, but by the tour operator.   On my upcoming Oasis October cruise there are a few age and weight restrictions. One specifically lists the age of 99 as restricted 

D97BCC61-5B94-48F2-AFEC-5EE3575B9342.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, vjmatty said:

Unless you're taking a ride in the Delorean to see some prehistoric birds, I'm having a hard time imagining how bird watching has a moderate or high activity level.

Ha! Would that Tour include Birds that can watch and eat you? ...When this Thread Topic Age Limit came up before the Tour description was lot of medium to brisk paced walking, up/down stairs on damp uneven ground, ect. I remember a couple these Age Limit Threads one couple yrs ago and one wasn't that long ago, maybe couple months.

• Haha 1

One reason we cruise Royal instead of Princess is there are more restrictions on Princess.  But as others suggest we are taking more independent tours these days.  A favorite small boat snorkeling tour in Bonaire now has a 60 year old restriction (been on it three times after 65 and easier ocean entry than most large catamarans) yet land sailing has a 99 year old restriction.  It is whatever their contract with Royal specifies.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Age and weight restrictions are not controlled by Royal, but by the tour operator.   On my upcoming Oasis October cruise there are a few age and weight restrictions. One specifically lists the age of 99 as restricted 

D97BCC61-5B94-48F2-AFEC-5EE3575B9342.jpeg

I want to meet the guy who isn't qualified for the under 99 rule and buy him a drink 😉 

2 minutes ago, Rusty_lock said:

I want to meet the guy who isn't qualified for the under 99 rule and buy him a drink 😉 

Agree! There was one Shore Excursion on one my last Cruises listed as Ages 6 to 106. Just moved my Mother into Retirement Apt age 55+, not Nursing Home or has any Medical Support stationed on site. On the Tour we met with 2 Residents, one 103 and other 105. 

The thing that irritates me is that I spent a lifetime staying in shape..I can do any of these shore excursions if I want to. Now Royal-its their excursions eventually-tells me that I cannot?  Where do they get off?  I sign a waiver on all the excursions. I have been on many private ones, but the overwhelming advantage that everyone overlooks for a ship excursion is that they will hold the ship if you are late; We have all seen that happen . Yes private ones are fine-try getting the ship to wait for you if something goes wrong. Plus on many of these islands there is not that much difference . If that is dramatic so be it. I have seen lots of things go away over the 30 years I have cruised-here is one more and it is a big one.  I am ashamed that I recommended Royal to my group-won't do that again!

• Like 1

The tour operator-insurance company idea is curious   It is Royal doing it in several ports. I doubt that that many tour operators in that many places are willing to give up their profits in economies that are marginal anyway out of either a fear of Americans suing them or some concern about all of us old people hurting ourselves. A salsa class?  Bird watching?  Cigar rolling/beach break?  And Carnival seems to run a few ships, probably has a couple lawyers, probably talk once in a while to tour companies-maybe they restrict theirs but I sure did not see it on their website. Royal is running scared and taking it out on me. And I resent it!  Wonder how this all fits with dropping vaccination requirements ?  I guess that's another can of worms for another topic . 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Ha! Would that Tour include Birds that can watch and eat you? ...When this Thread Topic Age Limit came up before the Tour description was lot of medium to brisk paced walking, up/down stairs on damp uneven ground, ect. I remember a couple these Age Limit Threads one couple yrs ago and one wasn't that long ago, maybe couple months.

Lol actually I was thinking more of the ride itself, especially on re-entry but yes I’d agree that birds who consider humans to be prey would definitely quality as high intensity 🙂

18 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I'm 70, so I guess I'll just stick to my underwater basket weaving.  

I am sure even at 70, you could and would a enjoy a little "sticktime" again!!

Edited by mpdog42
add

12 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

Lol actually I was thinking more of the ride itself, especially on re-entry but yes I’d agree that birds who consider humans to be prey would definitely quality as high intensity 🙂

Oh yeah the Ride! Use to hit 6Flags or Universal/Disney-Cali/Orlando Parks 2-3 wks a yr with my Kids. But it's been 9yrs now for Me-now Papa since I'm the one that House sits with their Pets and at times a Grand Daughter or 4 when their Moms/Dads need little time alone for Amusement Parks or a Cruise...

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, steveru621 said:

This is a restriction of the tour operators.  RCI doesn't run tours, they are the agent.

Insurance.

But then why is there no age restriction when I book direct with the tour operators?  I believe Royal is making the restriction.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1