Royal Caribbean mattresses

Just had a Jr Suite on the Adventure of the Seas, Worse bed on a cruise ship I ever had it was like sleeping on metal no stuffing & no support. It was only for 4 days so was no sense making a fuss.

But paid for it for a few days.

19 hours ago, Biker19 said:

They do - you just need to search some (bed threads not as common as tipping, COVID, etc threads). Like this thread, you'll get some feedback, and while the vocal majority may say the beds suck, the silent majority just endures (with various remedies) with however the bed situation is.

OK, I will ask since you brought up tipping (sort of).  Is it ok to ask what a fair tip would be for asking for a mattress topper?  

I'm curious how the beds on Wonder will be, as she is fairly new. I also hope firm, as I do have a firm mattress at home as well and my back aches if the mattress is too soft. 

A couple of years ago, we cruised on Brilliance. On boarding day, we saw how they loaded hundreds of new mattresses. About mid-cruise, they changed the mattresses in our cabin and the difference was amazin. Before, the mattress was sagging in the middle, the new one was perfect. Our last port was Labadee and they unloaded the old mattresses there, I assume to donate them to the communities. Some of them looked pretty gross, but probably still a lot better for some haitian families than sleeping on a piece of cardboard.

That said, there is a limit to the firmness I appreciate. We once slept in a Korean-owned hotel in Beijing and the bed literally was a concrete slab covered by a thin topper. That was horrible 🙂

2 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

OK, I will ask since you brought up tipping (sort of).  Is it ok to ask what a fair tip would be for asking for a mattress topper?  

Tipping and the amount is a very subjective individual decision - somewhere between zero and the daily grats seems to be what most report on here. 

4 hours ago, Brandis said:

I'm curious how the beds on Wonder will be, as she is fairly new. I also hope firm, as I do have a firm mattress at home as well and my back aches if the mattress is too soft. 

A couple of years ago, we cruised on Brilliance. On boarding day, we saw how they loaded hundreds of new mattresses. About mid-cruise, they changed the mattresses in our cabin and the difference was amazin. Before, the mattress was sagging in the middle, the new one was perfect. Our last port was Labadee and they unloaded the old mattresses there, I assume to donate them to the communities. Some of them looked pretty gross, but probably still a lot better for some haitian families than sleeping on a piece of cardboard.

That said, there is a limit to the firmness I appreciate. We once slept in a Korean-owned hotel in Beijing and the bed literally was a concrete slab covered by a thin topper. That was horrible 🙂

I think this is the same mattress we had on our last Allure cruise. Asked for and received a mattress topper which did absolutely nothing. 

17 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We’ve had Jr suites or suites the past few cruises.  The beds have been great.  Doing an ocean view next month and I’m betting my back and hips will complain. I wish they had the same mattress in every category.  TBD.  We have bought foam toppers for longer cruises but for a 5 or 7 night we don’t. I would definitely do it for the world cruise.  

It happens on land too.  A great B and B in Key West gave me back spasms all week.  I was pretty miserable.  We even tried to buy a topper but could not find one in Key West.  The place was great but the bed and my back did not get along. 

Sadly the only "department" store in Key West closed a while back.  It was a Kmart.  Indeed tough to find general items there...expect tourist trap "precious gifts". 

17 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Suites and Jr suites have better mattresses in my experience.  Once you get to balcony and below they seem the same - really hard.  

As ships replace them it may vary. 

I am booked on leg #1, and leg #4 World Cruise.  Since I am not on for all 4 legs...I was not given a choice over a balcony. Otherwise we always book a JS as a minimum.   

That is why I will probably need a mattress topper of some sort for each 62 day legs.  😮 

On 8/18/2022 at 7:43 AM, mmcgann11 said:

I, too, have had back surgery -- spinal fusion -- and find the beds very much too hard. We just bring a foam topper (queen -- king is too big for Royal's "King") and tip our cabin attendant to put it on day one. It's an extra $100 (we get a good one), but well worth it for the much better sleep and reduction in pain on my part. 

What's the best size foam topper to buy for a bed for 2 people. Queen, King, or would 2 Twins work best? (Since the beds are basically 2 Twins put together)

13 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait4NextYear said:

What's the best size foam topper to buy for a bed for 2 people. Queen, King, or would 2 Twins work best? (Since the beds are basically 2 Twins put together)

Two twins has worked better for me. And easier to handle. You can buy a cheap twin “egg crate” topper at Walmart for around $9.95. Worth every penny. 
I’ve done this on TAs and just left them on the ship. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Tipping and the amount is a very subjective individual decision - somewhere between zero and the daily grats seems to be what most report on here. 

I get it. I just didn’t know if it was a huge ordeal for your stateroom attendant to locate a mattress topper..  I didn’t mean to start anything. Thank you.

19 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I just didn’t know if it was a huge ordeal for your stateroom attendant to locate a mattress topper.

Usually, there aren't any, so the attendant will make up something (usually stuffing an extra duvet under the sheets).

Personally, I think the mattresses are fine.  (we stay is suites so they may be higher quality)  My wife wakes up with a backache though.  I solved that by bringing our own inflatable mattress pad.  She loves it.  (In fact, I just bought a spare, just in case)

Amazon.com : POWERLIX Sleeping Pad – Ultralight Inflatable Sleeping Mat, Ultimate for Camping, Backpacking, Hiking – Airpad, Inflating Bag, Carry Bag, Repair Kit – Compact & Lightweight Air Mattress : Sports & Outdoors

If you're going to travel, and are worried about the mattresses being uncomfortable, then you should buy one.  Why take a chance when you can solve the issue for just a few bucks.

On 8/18/2022 at 11:42 AM, ckrobyn said:

I am on a b2b on Explorer in November and will be bringing my own proper egg crate mattress topper. I have done this on previous cruises and slept very well.  

I thought you went air mattress route?

6 hours ago, island lady said:

I am booked on leg #1, and leg #4 World Cruise.  Since I am not on for all 4 legs...I was not given a choice over a balcony. Otherwise we always book a JS as a minimum.   

That is why I will probably need a mattress topper of some sort for each 62 day legs.  😮 

I know someone who might be able to store your topper from Leg 1😉

We did  ZOOM call with a rep from Royal. Mattresses came up. She was adamant. Do not bring toppers. Not sure how they can enforce that, though.

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I thought you went air mattress route?

I always bring the Klymit with me ( it literally fits in my carry-on) but if I go to Walmart in the port city, then I pick up an egg crate topper. Either works just fine.

• Like 1

If they aren't going to allow people to bring toppers they need to get better mattresses.

We have used a king from Walmart for around $40. Checked it in with a luggage tag, in the box. Left it on the ship.  It went around the edges a bit but the sheet held it down/in.  I'm sure 2 twins would work too.

The reason I haven't invested in the blow up ones is because they are too narrow. I've measured and I think I'd feel like I was rolling off of them.

Something I have done several times is to buy a mattress topper to take on the ship with me, and then I just leave it. I've done that several times when leaving out of a Florida port, just go to Walmart. I also did that in Southampton, just got directions to a store not far from hotel.

39 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

If they aren't going to allow people to bring toppers they need to get better mattresses.

We have used a king from Walmart for around $40. Checked it in with a luggage tag, in the box. Left it on the ship.  It went around the edges a bit but the sheet held it down/in.  I'm sure 2 twins would work too.

The reason I haven't invested in the blow up ones is because they are too narrow. I've measured and I think I'd feel like I was rolling off of them.

You're right, they are narrow - at least the single ones are. You can buy a double which is still super light to carry and would fit the beds pulled together very well.

On 8/18/2022 at 9:45 AM, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Who do you ask for mattress toppers? Are they always available?

I've asked for a mattress topper on our last 2 cruises (Odyssey and Ovation) and was told that since Covid they are no longer available.  The reason being is they cannot be washed. The room steward put about 6 comforters folded in half for me and it helped on the 1st cruise, but the 2nd cruise it was no help.  I felt as though I was sleeping on a brick.  😐  I know suites are "supposed" to have nicer mattresses, but have not experienced them myself.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KALCJ1 said:

I've asked for a mattress topper on our last 2 cruises (Odyssey and Ovation) and was told that since Covid they are no longer available.  The reason being is they cannot be washed. The room steward put about 6 comforters folded in half for me and it helped on the 1st cruise, but the 2nd cruise it was no help.  I felt as though I was sleeping on a brick.  😐  I know suites are "supposed" to have nicer mattresses, but have not experienced them myself.  

I’m in an interior room. I wonder what I should bring? My last cruise was 14 days on the new Discovery Princess and the mattress killed me. It was so painful.