Mayan Ruins tours - how to dress.

rjack22

I have noticed on all the Mayan ruins tours that "they" suggest long pants and closed sturdy shoes.   I get the shoes.  But why long pants?   Is that really necessary?  I am assuming it will be hot.   This is for late February if that matters.

Did both ruins in January. I wore crops and tennis shoes. My husband wore shorts. I see no need for long pants. There is not a lot of climbing around. There are steps for both ruins and not everyone climbed the steps. The steps can be a bit slippery and are uneven and steep. That is just my experience and others may have different views.

My best guess for the long pants is mosquito protection.  We have only been to the Chacchoben ruins in Costa Maya back in December 2016.  Had to dig down to archives to retrieve some of these pictures.

I know for our excursion, they made a big point on telling everyone to get insect repellent prior to the cruise on the excursion web page. At the gift shop area at the beginning of the tour, you can pay them to spray the insect repellent on you for a fee. So maybe if you have more clothes protection, harder for insects to get to you?

Most people from our tour wore shorts as even though it was in December, it was still pretty hot and humid as it's pretty far inland but we brought our own insect repellent.

Mostly shorts in our tour group from the ship:

IMG_0824.thumb.JPG.89cc0728b8ca982065c7f74b77b40da2.JPG

Most of the path is pretty flat but there is one step set of stairs to climb:

IMG_0853.thumb.JPG.fe89bd47260233cbe92b34d8696053ff.JPG

Tip - most people congregate at the beginning wanting to take the picture.  Wait until the end of the tour when many of the bus tours have departed and you can have the place to yourself:

Before:

IMG_2373.thumb.JPG.8cf2a947e4d9a0bafdb8706bf6b9ce62.JPG

After:

972679465_IMG_0879-Copy.thumb.JPG.d3ad9dadb345ff7123b0d10a132ee023.JPG 

407051562_20161221_160227-Copy-Copy(2).thumb.jpg.95ed7be678f759d2da3d744c4397d071.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

People are worried about mosquitoes. I literally wore shorts and flip flops and I was fine. there’s a ton of stairs to climb though, so just consider that 

Edited by Lizabu

Shorts are fine but even if you look like a geeky tourist, I would wear socks and shoes suitable for climbing wet, slippery stones. We did encounter fire ants and the socks were a game changer. Not perfect protection against biting bugs, but better than bare legs. 

• Like 1

We didn't visit the ruins shown above but did visit some that were far more "degraded". We wore shorts. At one place the guide stopped to talk about a certain feature and everybody started slapping at their legs. We had failed to prepare with insect repellent and ended up with about a bazillion extremely itchy and painful bites from some kind of sand flea all over our legs. It was really extremely unpleasant. People on the ship asked us what the heck had happened as our legs were covered in red blotches. If insect repellent is recommended for your excursion take it to heart.

• Thanks 1

Consider Deep Woods Off wipes instead of spray. When we went to Lamanai the mosquitos were pretty hangry.  Someone offered us the wipes and they were so much better than spray.  There were folks spraying and overspray was just going everywhere.  The wipes were awesome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This information is new to me, but (insert toddler voice here) I DON'T WANT TO WEAR LONG PANTS ON VACATION!  I'm glad to hear so many of you wore shorts and were fine.  I have climbed similar pyramids near Mexico City, and I know the sturdy tie shoes are 100% necessary.  

Good info about insect protection -- I've added it to our packing list.  

Any comment on how the bugs are likely to be in October?  Late October.

• Haha 2

• 3 months later...
On 8/24/2022 at 8:08 PM, Lizabu said:

People are worried about mosquitoes. I literally wore shorts and flip flops and I was fine. there’s a ton of stairs to climb though, so just consider that 

Which ruins has a ton of stairs?