NCL Updated Cruising Rules

Greenpea2

Now that vaccination no longer is required, I'm wondering about a certain scenario that has not been mentioned (or at least I have not seen it)... my DH is not vaccinated,  I am. We book a cruise for February and at the end of October make our final payment. Over the winter, Covid (like the flu and colds) becomes more prevalent and the rule is changed back temporarily where only vaccinated people can cruise. 

What happens then? We have already paid in full. My husband will not be getting vaccinated, so that solution is out. I would imagine this would affect quite a few people out there. Thoughts? I am leery of booking us for this reason.

Although I dislike the "what if" game, there are only four possible answers:

#1 - Your husband gets vaccinated.

#2 - Your husband doesn't cruise anymore.

#3 - You hold off booking until the last minute when you know that conditions that might affect your booking are less likely to change.

#4 - You invest in a proper travel insurance policy that mitigates your risk.

Just choose what is best for you and your situation.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Although I dislike the "what if" game, there are only four possible answers:

#1 - Your husband gets vaccinated.

#2 - Your husband doesn't cruise anymore.

#3 - You hold off booking until the last minute when you know that conditions that might affect your booking are less likely to change.

#4 - You invest in a proper travel insurance policy that mitigates your risk.

Just choose what is best for you and your situation.

#4. Yes, we would get travel insurance. It's just not as easy to find "cancel for any reason", although I know they are out there. Thank you, that's what I was leaning towards.  Number 2 is kind of silly, though. 😉 

I dunno... if he was a valid passenger when you booked, and they changed the rules making him no longer a valid passenger, I would assume (key word there) that they would at least offer the option to cancel and get your money back in the form of a FCC to go towards a different sailing when the rules change again.

Or to allow you to change him out with a different passenger that does meet the rules for no cost.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

I dunno... if he was a valid passenger when you booked, and they changed the rules making him no longer a valid passenger, I would assume (key word there) that they would at least offer the option to cancel and get your money back in the form of a FCC to go towards a different sailing when the rules change again.

Or to allow you to change him out with a different passenger that does meet the rules for no cost.

Yes, that would be nice. I imagine if it happens there will be a lot of upset booked passengers so they might do something like that. 

I can't see them requiring a vaccination again, after this big step that is allowing a large new group to cruise again.  Only reason to do this would be if the next variant evolved into another deadly version like Delta was.  I can see them going back to all testing though.

Otherwise, #4 is the best option IMHO.

5 hours ago, Greenpea2 said:

I/m not sure I know what this means...

I think the person who posted that meant that they are not going to go back to a you must be vaccinated rule. However, I disagree with that. I am sure that they do not want to, but conditions could happen which would force them to require vaccinations again.

Cross your fingers that that does not happen, and not just because how it would affect cruises.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2022 at 8:06 AM, Greenpea2 said:

#4. Yes, we would get travel insurance. It's just not as easy to find "cancel for any reason", although I know they are out there. 

Have you talked to the folks at tripinsurancestore.com?   Call them, Steve will probably answer the phone, explain what you are hoping for and he'll point you in right direction.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2022 at 8:04 AM, Greenpea2 said:

I/m not sure I know what this means...

I think you might be interested to read the internal investigation report directly from the CDC.  This report will likely guide decisions about whether or not vaccination requirements ever return to cruise ships. 

• Like 1

On 8/19/2022 at 9:54 AM, Greenpea2 said:

Yes, that would be nice. I imagine if it happens there will be a lot of upset booked passengers so they might do something like that. 

I think you would be talking about a very small percentage of passengers.   In Canada vaccination levels are around 90% of those who qualify.  Western Europe and even China are at similar rates.

If vaccination requirements come back it is more likely to be region and driven by controls put in place by the specific countries the cruise visits. 

• Like 1

On 8/19/2022 at 1:16 PM, ontheweb said:

I think the person who posted that meant that they are not going to go back to a you must be vaccinated rule. However, I disagree with that. I am sure that they do not want to, but conditions could happen which would force them to require vaccinations again.

Cross your fingers that that does not happen, and not just because how it would affect cruises.

Thanks for the explanation! I too think it is possible they might change it back temporarily. Flu, colds, and Covid are worse in the winter months it seems to me. My fingers and toes will be crossed!

On 8/19/2022 at 1:10 PM, scooter6139 said:

I can't see them requiring a vaccination again, after this big step that is allowing a large new group to cruise again.  Only reason to do this would be if the next variant evolved into another deadly version like Delta was.  I can see them going back to all testing though.

Otherwise, #4 is the best option IMHO.

Thanks, scooter6139. 

On 8/20/2022 at 8:38 AM, PATRLR said:

Have you talked to the folks at tripinsurancestore.com?   Call them, Steve will probably answer the phone, explain what you are hoping for and he'll point you in right direction.

Good advice! Thanks so much. 

5 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I think you might be interested to read the internal investigation report directly from the CDC.  This report will likely guide decisions about whether or not vaccination requirements ever return to cruise ships. 

That sounds interesting. I'll try and locate that. Thank you!