New MSC Testing Requirements (Aug 29) Do Not Include Proctored Tests?

Hlitner

I just looked at the latest MSC info regarding COVID testing and here is what it says for US residents departing from US Ports:

• All vaccinated guests (12 and older and any children between 2 and 11 years old) on sailings from U.S. ports that are 6 nights or longer must show proof of a lab-administered negative COVID-19 viral test (NAAT or antigen) taken within 3 days of embarkation.  MSC Cruises recommends vaccinated guests to test within 1 day of embarkation, when possible.

If one takes this exactly as written it would seem to not accept proctored Antigen tests since they are not technically "lab-administered."

Hank

19 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I just looked at the latest MSC info regarding COVID testing and here is what it says for US residents departing from US Ports:

• All vaccinated guests (12 and older and any children between 2 and 11 years old) on sailings from U.S. ports that are 6 nights or longer must show proof of a lab-administered negative COVID-19 viral test (NAAT or antigen) taken within 3 days of embarkation.  MSC Cruises recommends vaccinated guests to test within 1 day of embarkation, when possible.

If one takes this exactly as written it would seem to not accept proctored Antigen tests since they are not technically "lab-administered."

Hank

I take this to mean that it was taken by a lab technician.  Meaning someone in a white coat swabbed my nose...or in the case of CVS, watched me swab my nose while standing outside my car.  I hope this is OK as we are testing on Friday in this manner for our cruise on Saturday.

5 minutes ago, cellfree said:

This is crazy! What is allowed? What is not allowed?

Totally agree!  It's nerve wracking to say the least.  I guess if we get turned away at the pier for the wrong test we'll know the rules with certainty.  My guess is that in the wake of relaxing testing requirements they wouldn't then eliminate the antigen test in favor of just the PCR thus making fulfilling the testing requirement seemingly more difficult than before the testing relaxation.  But that's just me.  

I think MSC struggles to communicate what they mean clearly on their website because their are catering to so many traveling audiences both foreign and domestic.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Totally agree!  It's nerve wracking to say the least.  I guess if we get turned away at the pier for the wrong test we'll know the rules with certainty.  My guess is that in the wake of relaxing testing requirements they wouldn't then eliminate the antigen test in favor of just the PCR thus making fulfilling the testing requirement seemingly more difficult than before the testing relaxation.  But that's just me.  

I think MSC struggles to communicate what they mean clearly on their website because their are catering to so many traveling audiences both foreign and domestic.

We have River Cruised Europe and Carnival and MSC Caribbean since cruising started up again, thought I had it figured out, next MSC September, researching again, yikes. 

It has been discussed in another thread, but it appears to me to be very, very sloppy language.

Rapid tests are not done in labs or administered by a lab. They are done in white tents, drugstore drivethrus, airport kiosks, and at the kitchen table (for the purposes of travel, with a proctor certifying results). There are no doubt rare exceptions, but typically, there is no such thing as a "lab-administered" antigen test. A PCR test is different and would be evaluated in a lab, although the sample may be collected elsewhere.

Especially since MSC is now (from Aug 29 forward) asking you to wait until the day before cruise embarkation to do the test if possible, there's no logical way that they are now disallowing rapid testing or the kind of testing the cruise industry themselves have been actively promoting for over a year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Just found this posted 4 days ago:  from this site: 

That site at best would be United's attempt to copy/paste MSC's ever changing verbiage. Probably best to stick with the original and authoritative (albeit very poorly worded)

MSC Health & Safety measures | MSC Cruises (msccruisesusa.com)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, publicpersona said:

Especially since MSC is now (from Aug 29 forward) asking you to wait until the day before cruise embarkation to do the test if possible, there's no logical way that they are now disallowing rapid testing or the kind of testing the cruise industry themselves have been actively promoting for over a year.

Very good point!  I think we are just so excited to cruise that I'm overthinking the possible pitfalls.

Don't know if this helps but we used the Binax tests this past week for Divina. You had to have the certificate with the lab logo (EMED I think). They would not accept the negative result that I screenshotted from the Navica app

• Like 1

7 hours ago, awatt said:

Don't know if this helps but we used the Binax tests this past week for Divina. You had to have the certificate with the lab logo (EMED I think). They would not accept the negative result that I screenshotted from the Navica app

So you had to have the results printed out not just show it on your phone?  
That’s what we did when we cruised last Nov on Divina I printed it out.

The issue going forward is that MSC’s new policy goes into effect Aug 29th, so we aren’t sure if they will still accept the home proctored tests we used last year since they are no longer listed as being an accepted test. 

Edited by styles27
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, styles27 said:

since they are no longer listed as being an accepted test. 

Is there someplace that specifically lists home proctored antigen tests before Aug 29 and not after Aug 29, or are you still focusing on the words "lab-administered"?

Again, if MSC was announcing you can't do rapid results antigen tests anymore (because they are almost never done in a "lab"), then that would be huge news and there would be a hullabaloo about it. There isn't.

12 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

Is there someplace that specifically lists home proctored antigen tests before Aug 29 and not after Aug 29, or are you still focusing on the words "lab-administered"?

Again, if MSC was announcing you can't do rapid results antigen tests anymore (because they are almost never done in a "lab"), then that would be huge news and there would be a hullabaloo about it. There isn't.

Then why is the language different if there's not a change in policy? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Then why is the language different if there's not a change in policy? 

My guess is that the people that write the customer-facing information are good at marketing communication and borderline incompetent with medical terminology. That seems a much more plausible explanation than MSC banning use of rapid testing at the same time other cruise lines are rapidly removing impediments to cruise, and at the same time are asking people not to test until the day before the cruise if possible. Makes no sense.

But I'm as puzzled about the wording as anybody. Hoping they will clarify that soon, but expect it will be a matter of data points that emerged here on CC starting Aug 29 before anyone knows for sure.

4 hours ago, styles27 said:

I am thinking this sounds like what happened when we cruised NCL in May.
They sent email one week before cruise that said all test results must be printed out and no phone screen shots accepted. 
When we sailed MSC, they thanked us for having results printed out as it made embarkation much faster for them. I cannot remember if they kept those papers.

Perhaps it is MSC trying to make embarkation faster now that numbers have increased .

We still plan on using eMed Binax Now AG Card tests ( proctored) for our cruise in October.
Who knows if they will even be required by then?

• Like 1

I cannot find this actual info on MSC USA site. Just spent a few minutes to confirm this info.  I cannot see requirement for Bahamas on MSC Site. I cannot confirm the vaccination requirements either. Strange.

Just found this on Cruise Critic . They have posted current policies by cruise line.

For MSC

Who Needs to Be Vaccinated: All passengers aged 12 and above must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. The vaccination requirement is also applicable to guests who have recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days. There is no requirement for a vaccine booster shot. 

Bahamas Sailings: The Bahamas is now requiring proof of vaccinationfor all travellers under the age of 12. Any cruiser embarking from Atlantic or Gulf ports (including Florida) with a port of call in the Bahamas mustpresent full proof of vaccination in order to board. 

Are Any Unvaccinated Passengers Able to Sail? Yes, though passengers who are unvaccinated, or who are unwilling to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination -- will face additional health and safety restrictions, including additional testing (at cost to the cruiser), and the requirement to purchase MSC Cruises Travel Insurance & COVID-19 Protection Services. Fees will be waived for unvaccinated children under 5 who are currently ineligible to be vaccinated.

Mandatory COVID-19 Insurance?: Yes, for non-vaccinated passengers sailing on departures out of Florida only. 

Is A Pre-Arrival COVID-19 Test Required? For short cruises under 5 nights, vaccinated passengers do not have to take a test., but all unvaccinated guests ages 2 or older must take one within 3 days of the sailing. All passengers, including those who are vaccinated, must show proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken within three days of embarkation if the cruise is 6 nights or longer. Pre-embarkation or embarkation testing is not required for guests under two years of age.

Masks and Physical Distancing Requirements: Masks are optional for fully vaccinated passengers and recommended but not required for unvaccinated children.

Crew Vaccinated?: Yes

Edited by phissy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, publicpersona said:

Yes on the MSC site since last year they listed the Binax now ag card purchased through Emed as an example of an accepted home proctored test. That’s why we purchased and used them. 

I have no idea when or why they removed that wording. 

7 hours ago, styles27 said:

The issue going forward is that MSC’s new policy goes into effect Aug 29th, so we aren’t sure if they will still accept the home proctored tests we used last year since they are no longer listed as being an accepted test. 

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

With the EMED test, I got an immediate result on the app. It had all my info, date, time and the result. I took a screenshot. 15 minutes later I got an email  where I had to login with a password to get the certificate with the logo on it. That's what they wanted. Not sure if it has to be printed,but I had one printed just in case. I first showed them the screenshot Ted result and then they asked for the certificate.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, funtexascruiser said:

I called MSC  as we are sailing 9/3 just after the 8/29 change.  The answer that I got was that the proctored tests would be acceptable.  The verbiage is very confusing as they did NOT have the "lab administered" part in there before.

We are on that cruise as well and when I called I was told very adamantly, that the home proctored tests will NOT be accepted. You can see why this is so confusing.....

1 hour ago, Vegasgreg19 said:

was told very adamantly, that the home proctored tests will NOT be accepted.

The agent almost certainly didn't understand that you meant a proctored test with a certificate of results, or they simply made stuff up (which is common .. it pays the same).

It totally strains credibility that any cruise line at this point would make a very major change to make more difficult to comply with COVID protocols. And no one is the cruise news business taking any notice of it either. And again, virtually no one has access to a "lab-administered" rapid antigen test.

On 8/20/2022 at 8:29 AM, Hlitner said:

Hank

If one actually does read it literally the monitored home tests (eMed, etc) are acceptable.  Take a close look at your eMed lab test report.  It clearly has all the information relevant to a certified testing laboratory.  Yes, the language has changed, but I do not see where the requirement has changed.

Dennis

• Like 2