Southampton cruise to British isles

Rose20

I just went to book excursion to Normandy for a cruise in 10 months and it’s completely full. Heartbroken as it was our main reason for this trip. Are there any other options available which are pretty much guaranteeing us back to ship on time. My husband is 75 and was very interested. 

31 minutes ago, Rose20 said:

I just went to book excursion to Normandy for a cruise in 10 months and it’s completely full. Heartbroken as it was our main reason for this trip. Are there any other options available which are pretty much guaranteeing us back to ship on time. My husband is 75 and was very interested. 

We have done Normandy related tours a few times, each with Overlord - excellent reputation and you can customize segments. I book directly are add fellow passengers to form a small group, less than 8 or 9 in the van.  Use your roll call to connect. 

Darcy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rose20 said:

https://www.overlordtour.com

We're booked for June 13 cruise.  I just looked and the Normandy tour looks open to me. So you might want to check again.  My husband, a retired Marine, and I took this tour a few years ago on Princess and it is wonderful.  If your husband is retired military he would be especially touched to be there.  I know it was that way for my husband.

• Like 1

As well travelled cruisers over the past 20+ years we have booked many non cruise tours. NEVER near close to missing the ship. Most private ones have been found on Roll Calls for the ship and date of your journey.   We too have found most desired tours fill up way before travel date. We have also on CC asked If anyone has taken a private tour where ever and do they recommend it to others.

Wish you well.

• Like 1

We were on a waiting list for the Overlord Tours. They said that when a certain number of people were on the list, then they would book another vehicle. We were able to do this along with many from our Roll Call.

• Like 1

it is unclear if you have contacted Overload Tours or if you are talking about just the tours through the ship.

I would suggests above per my suggestion and get on the waiting list with the company directly.

Thursday, August 16, 2018 – Le Harvre, France

Beaches of Normandy Spearhead Tours

Our tour left at 8 am.  There was a mini-van with 3 couples.  We had enough room.  Another couple arranged this excursion.  We met on Roll Call on Cruise Critic.

We visited the American Cemetery, Omaha Beach, Utah Beach, and a couple of churches.  We had lunch at a café Le Roosevelt at Utah Beach.  Our guide and driver Florin had good commentary and stories.  He had a book with pictures of events.

We were not able to visit the museums and no shopping time.  There was a long ride back to the ship Royal Princess, arriving about 5 pm.

We really enjoyed this excursion.  I think you can customize the tour to what you want.  Check them out on the internet.  I can't guarantee that they are still in business after Covid changed so many things.  The driver collected cash fee and tip at the end of the trip.  I don't remember price and I am sure it has changed.

22 hours ago, WatchHill said:

We have done Normandy related tours a few times, each with Overlord - excellent reputation and you can customize segments. I book directly are add fellow passengers to form a small group, less than 8 or 9 in the van.  Use your roll call to connect. 

Darcy

I second this and it’s who I will be using in July

19 hours ago, nini said:

We were on a waiting list for the Overlord Tours. They said that when a certain number of people were on the list, then they would book another vehicle. We were able to do this along with many from our Roll Call.

This is exactly what I’ve done for my cruise in July

1 hour ago, nini said:

Great! Fingers crossed... since it is in July, there is a high percentage that you will get on the tour!

This is one tour where I don’t want to be on a ships tour on a bus with 50 other people

5 hours ago, sandyoftheseas said:

We also used Overlord tours we got a group together from our roll call it was a great but a very emotional tour for me because my dad was on Normandy Beach and was a POW.  I highly recommend a private tour. 

Is your father still alive?  We did the Overlord tour 9B last month - the driver was very knowlegable.  He had to go to school for 3 years to be a guide.  We stopped at Omaha beach - I even gathered some sand - looking to find a survivor I can give it to. We also stopped in a small town for lunch, and then a town called Honfleur.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pkamison said:

I have done Overlord twice - they are great!

The point on Omaha beach we stopped at was where a national guard division landed - did not know they were there.  The cemetery was very moving - especially the wall with 2000 MIA names.  When they find one - a designation is put on the wall and the remains are buried there.  To date they have recovered the remains of 20 servicemen.