Wine pricing--you gotta laugh

IPB4IGO

On a previous cruise we discovered a wine we really like (7 Moons Red Blend). It's part of the most expensive wine package aboard ship, the Sommelier Suite, Cellar 3. $189 for any four bottles in the "cellar".

When we got home I ordered a case from our local liquor store. $125 for 12 bottles.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

The mark-up of wine is remarkable whether one buys it on a ship or in a restaurant.  

However, given the current situation the cruise lines are in (trying to return to profitability), let's keep the onboard spending robust.  

• Like 9

1 hour ago, IPB4IGO said:

On a previous cruise we discovered a wine we really like (7 Moons Red Blend). It's part of the most expensive wine package aboard ship, the Sommelier Suite, Cellar 3. $189 for any four bottles in the "cellar".

When we got home I ordered a case from our local liquor store. $125 for 12 bottles.

Don't you pay more for wine in a restaurant at home? I know it's ridiculous where I live.  I've never seen wine priced the same as the liquor store at any restaurant.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IPB4IGO said:

Hello,

Just a quick mathematical formulation, assuming you do not get the 50% Mariner discount on packages:

1. Haul a case aboard @ $125 / 12 bottles + pay $ 20 / bottle corkage = $ 365 = $34 / bottle.

2. $189 / 4 = $47 / bottle (if Mariner discount is not applicable).

So, you’d be saving $13 / bottle I suppose.

Personally, I’ve never been concerned about the pricing on packages with the Mariner stuff or otherwise outside the HAL realm.

And, as mentioned, any bar / restaurant on the planet needs to mark up liquor sales to survive ever since I been able to enjoy commercial ambiences & services over the past 50 years or so. Hey, I’m out and, more importantly not cooking and enjoying company.

Be well and Enjoy.

Bob

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Don't you pay more for wine in a restaurant at home? I know it's ridiculous where I live.  I've never seen wine priced the same as the liquor store at any restaurant.

I am accustomed to paying about three times retail for a bottle of wine in restaurants, but this far exceeds that. I should point out that I live in a small town in Oregon. That $125 wasn't a Costco price.

Just to be clear, I have never had any interest in schlepping wine aboard ship to save money. I know that some folks do that so they can drink wines that they like rather than whatever the ship offers.

• Like 2

Just now, IPB4IGO said:

I am accustomed to paying about three times retail for a bottle of wine in restaurants, but this far exceeds that. I should point out that I live in a small town in Oregon. That $125 wasn't a Costco price.

Just to be clear, I have never had any interest in schlepping wine aboard ship to save money. I know that some folks do that so they can drink wines that they like rather than whatever the ship offers.

Unfortunately the only choices you have is pay, schlep or not drink.  I think the fault lands squarely on the shoulders of those that chose to bring their weight in wine on a cruise.  Not only did it cut into Hal’s profits but the poor stewards had to schlep all that wine to staterooms when people slapped a luggage tag on it.  I just go with the cheapest package and I can usually find something I like.  I drink white so that makes it easier I think.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Unfortunately the only choices you have is pay, schlep or not drink.  I think the fault lands squarely on the shoulders of those that chose to bring their weight in wine on a cruise.  Not only did it cut into Hal’s profits but the poor stewards had to schlep all that wine to staterooms when people slapped a luggage tag on it.  I just go with the cheapest package and I can usually find something I like.  I drink white so that makes it easier I think.

You can’t check wine with your luggage. You are supposed to carry it on the ship so they can charge you corkage at embarkation. So the stewards don’t have to schlep it.  But, yes, HAL does lose $ when we bring wine onboard, hence the increase in corkage fee.

My DH brings a case or 2 of various Pinot Noir wines on the WC. There are very limited selections onboard. The wine packages only have a single choice in each. For him, it’s not about the price. It’s about the variety. He buys a package too. He alternates HAL wine with the ones he brings onboard so e doesn’t during the same wine for 128 nights 😀

Since we get a 50% discount off the package, it’s not that cost effective to bring his own wine. He only saves a few dollars per bottle - definitely not worth the effort to buy and hand carry the wine onboard, plus store it in our cabin. But at least he doesn’t have to drink the same wine every night.

Edited by sandiego1
  • Like 7

7 hours ago, sandiego1 said:

You can’t check wine with your luggage. You are supposed to carry it on the ship so they can charge you corkage at embarkation. So the stewards don’t have to schlep it.  But, yes, HAL does lose $ when we bring wine onboard, hence the increase in corkage fee.

My DH brings a case or 2 of various Pinot Noir wines on the WC. There are very limited selections onboard. The wine packages only have a single choice in each. For him, it’s not about the price. It’s about the variety. He buys a package too. He alternates HAL wine with the ones he brings onboard so e doesn’t during the same wine for 128 nights 😀

Since we get a 50% discount off the package, it’s not that cost effective to bring his own wine. He only saves a few dollars per bottle - definitely not worth the effort to buy and hand carry the wine onboard, plus store it in our cabin. But at least he doesn’t have to drink the same wine every night.

In the past there was countless posts about people slapping a luggage tag on wine.  This was before corkage was charged.  I have zero problems with people paying corkage and dragging it n themselves.  I guess you didn’t notice that I was referring to the past.

• Like 1

I am surprised you just noticed.  As long as I remember  it has always been expensive.  If you want to cut wine costs seek out the happy hour specials when the price is similar to a neighborhood restaurant 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I am surprised you just noticed.  As long as I remember  it has always been expensive.  If you want to cut wine costs seek out the happy hour specials when the price is similar to a neighborhood restaurant 

Before I had a drink package I thought of every drink I’ve had.  I like certain things on board and to do that I need to cut out other things that aren’t necessary like alcohol.  I’m not a trust fund baby and I don’t have family money so there is not an endless supply of cash for me.

• Like 2

Another instance from OP example is the level 3 package.  It has Crios Malbec which is $10 where we live. Better deal is the level 2 package with the Meomi Pinot Noir which is $18 at the store.  I can't figure out who works out these packages.  We are those that shlep on wine.  It is always celebration wine that the wine stewards are thrilled to taste.  We will be buying a package our next cruise, hard to haul on enough for a 74 day cruise.  We will be buying wine in Port and paying corkage. Cheers! 🍷

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

In the past there was countless posts about people slapping a luggage tag on wine.  This was before corkage was charged.  I have zero problems with people paying corkage and dragging it n themselves.  I guess you didn’t notice that I was referring to the past.

Countless posts were often overrated and exaggerated by folks who were opposed to this process.  A dozen passengers bringing on a case of wine while following the posted rules on a 1500-2900 passenger ship is still a lot less than the 2 or 3 hundred going through the wildest subterfuges to bring on their favorite alcohol bottles.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ajcruiser said:

Something I haven't seen mentioned is that HAL's wine lists and package lists may bear no resemblance to what is actually available on board.  They have "substitute" wines which may or may not please your palate. 

I have experienced this pre-Covid when I have bought a package and, late in the cruise, what I prefer is no longer available.  The substitute has always been better than what would have been part of the package.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ajcruiser said:

Something I haven't seen mentioned is that HAL's wine lists and package lists may bear no resemblance to what is actually available on board.  They have "substitute" wines which may or may not please your palate. 

Yes, it is best to wait until you board to see what is actually available with each package. If it is something you really enjoy, you can get the bottles all at one time to save for later in the cruise (in case they run out).

1 hour ago, Wakepatrol said:

The funny part is. The $2 buck chuckers now have to pay $20 corkage fee for the wine they could not live without

Yeah, for some reason when I crunched the numbers, I just couldn't justify bringing my favorite bottles of $2.99 Charles Shaw from TJ's onboard, only to pay the $20 corkage fee for each bottle. Just didn't add up! 😁

New to HAL. Have only cruised Celebrity before we always purchase the premium beverage package and have always been happy with the premium wine offered. ( we have also found on Celebrity that the somms often found some nice wines for us not on the list!) Can anyone here compare HAL to Celebrity wine selection? Where can I find more info about the wines offered? We don’t worry about cost or mark-up. We just want to enjoy what we drink. 🙂

1 hour ago, LizzGo said:

New to HAL. Have only cruised Celebrity before we always purchase the premium beverage package and have always been happy with the premium wine offered. ( we have also found on Celebrity that the somms often found some nice wines for us not on the list!) Can anyone here compare HAL to Celebrity wine selection? Where can I find more info about the wines offered? We don’t worry about cost or mark-up. We just want to enjoy what we drink. 🙂

Here is the current wine list:  Wine List