Advice on Cabin for 3

Thrak

Our son and his wife and daughter are considering cruising with us on Discovery Princess. Our granddaughter will be 6 when the cruise happens. They have never cruised before and want us to figure out pretty much everything for them. I don't have an issue with that but trying to find an inside cabin that can sleep 3 that doesn't also sleep 4 seems impossible. I really don't want to put them in a cabin with beds on the walls. I know I would absolutely hate one of those cabins and would constantly be peeved with the stupid bed sticking out of the wall. I'm can't imagine being happy with the stupid bed taking up a ton of space and, since I'm a bit of a klutz, I would almost certainly manage to bang into the dang thing repeatedly.

Is there such a thing as an inside cabin that has a third berth that drops down from the ceiling?  I know I've been in a balcony cabin that had the third bed recessed into the ceiling but I don't know if they offer that option in an inside cabin.

Unfortunately, I do not think one exists (triple).  I don't know if the Discovery had sideways cabins.  But a 5 year old and sleep anywhere.  My daughter used to travel with a blow up kid bed.

Similar to this:   https://www.amazon.com/kids-air-mattress-toddler-travel-bed/dp/B07S2475NG/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=kids%2Bair%2Bmattress&qid=1661293922&sr=8-2-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExVldVSllBWTUwVkg1JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTgzMzk1M1BCRFNKSE1YQkFOMSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNDgwMzkyMlBGWTY0NVpYT1ZHMyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

Or request a crib mattress and throw it on the floor.  

Or be a super fun STAR grand-dad and let her sleep on your sofa.

The quads are awful.  They make the interior rooms even smaller, if that is even possible.

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 1

Princess will probably not allow a passenger in a cabin where there is not a bed or berth for them.

If there are no OV cabins on the ship, an obstructed balcony would be the lowest fare other than an inside.

Sideways inside cabins seem to have more open space in the bedroom area.  Look on Youtube for video tours of Princess sideways cabins.  The extra bed is still on the wall, but it might be more manageable.

Good Luck!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Unfortunately, I do not think one exists (triple).  I don't know if the Discovery had sideways cabins.  But a 5 year old and sleep anywhere.  My daughter used to travel with a blow up kid bed.

Or request a crib mattress and throw it on the floor.  

Or be a super fun STAR grand-dad and let her sleep on your sofa.

The quads are awful.  They make the interior rooms even smaller, if that is even possible.

Since we are booked in a standard balcony there isn't a sofa.  I was afraid that the only option would be the stupid side bunks. Poop. When we've had a balcony cabin with a third berth you could only tell it was available by the outline on the ceiling. It's odd that they can't/don't/won't offer that option for an inside cabin. I guess I'll send him a link to a video showing how the cabin looks with the side bunks.

35 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Is there such a thing as an inside cabin that has a third berth that drops down from the ceiling?  I know I've been in a balcony cabin that had the third bed recessed into the ceiling but I don't know if they offer that option in an inside cabin.

Yes - on Island and Coral.  Not sure about Diamond and Sapphire.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

Thanks for reminding me about the sideways cabins. We sailed in one and were surprised at all the extra closet and storage space. If I know my daughter in law at all she would bring enough stuff to need that extra storage space! We went camping with them once and were amazed at how much "stuff" she brought along. We did a 28 day cruise with two carry on sized bags and one larger folding bag. (One person from our roll call took 7 bags and had to buy an 8th to accommodate her purchases!)

I just checked and see a number of sideways cabins available. I'll send our son a note about them but he has never sailed and likely won't have a clue about what to book or not book. Personally, I will never book a cabin with beds on the side but he probably won't really mind. (I hope.) He did say they would likely just use the cabin for sleeping so that helps.

• Like 1

I know you / they are looking for an inside cabin but if you are sailing on a Royal class ship, I highly recommend the deluxe obstructed balcony cabins.  They will be so much happier with their choice and save a little money in the obstructed category.  The midship ones are not obstructed at all.  

Those cabins with the beds on the sides of the wall have given me bruises all over my head.  They are just awful.  

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

I really don't want to put them in a cabin with beds on the walls.

deluxe balcony cabins will have a sofa bed. Obstructed is fine.

P.S. My kid absolutely loves pullman beds. Always begs for me to book the cabin with one.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1