Did you choose to book a cruise vs. a land-based vaca? (Interview Opportunity)

CCAubs

Aubrey from Cruise Critic here! We're working with a journalist who is looking to speak with a traveler who recently booked a cruise and can speak to why they've done so vs. another land-based option (avoiding airports, dodging high airfares, etc.). If you fit the bill and are interested in chatting sometime this week or next (before August 30, 2022), feel free to comment below and I can share more info/help connect you for an interview!

1 hour ago, CCAubs said:

Aubrey from Cruise Critic here! We're working with a journalist who is looking to speak with a traveler who recently booked a cruise and can speak to why they've done so vs. another land-based option (avoiding airports, dodging high airfares, etc.). If you fit the bill and are interested in chatting sometime this week or next (before August 30, 2022), feel free to comment below and I can share more info/help connect you for an interview!

Might be interested - really depends on repute of the publication.

FWIW: we travel a lot (even now) - sea, land, air, combined (including approx 100 nights this year across 7 cruise segments with land trips pre and/or post cruise). Current bookings, including most recent one made in May of this year, range from approx 3 weeks to 2 months. BTW, given my professional background (now retired), your journalist may find that I am fairly well informed about a wide variety of travel related arenas - particularly maritime transportation, hotel management, public heath...

If you’re interested, please email me and identify the intended publication. 

Sure, I'd speak with someone, depending on the publication. Before a recent cruise from Greece up the Adriatic we debated doing a land package, but while we were on the cruise decided we were happy we chose the cruise. We've used tour companies, traveled solo, and now choosing cruises most of the time. Leaving for a cruise soon, and booking another.

On 8/24/2022 at 9:57 AM, CCAubs said:

avoiding airports

Avoiding airports with a cruise vacation only applies to a small number of cruisers -- when I book a cruise, I still have airports (and air fares) to deal with.   The only difference is whether I go to a hotel or a cruise port after I get off the plane.

Depends where.  We are not too fond of European cruises as they pretty much visit only port cities (obviously). They are not there long enough to really explore and most offer excursions that you choose THE site you want to see. YOu don't have the opportunity to see the rest of the country.  Rarely do you get to enjoy evenings/nights on land.  We do enjoy European river cruises as opposed to "big ship" European cruises. ALaska/Caribbean.....a cruise is our 1st choice.  As live in close proximity to NY airports (and we'd still fly to an ALaska or Caribbean cruises) and if we were going to Europe we almost always can book non-stop flights, so the airport "expeience" is not too horrific.

Edited by marco
  • Like 1

We went on a cruise a few weeks ago. It was a last minute trip that we had booked in June. We’ve been on cruises before so we knew what to expect. We were able to get a really good deal. The Caribbean is great for cruising. We’ve visited so many islands that way. We’re not near a major international airport so flying to a specific island is very expensive with layovers. 
we definitely like the all food included nature of cruising. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

Avoiding airports with a cruise vacation only applies to a small number of cruisers -- when I book a cruise, I still have airports (and air fares) to deal with.   The only difference is whether I go to a hotel or a cruise port after I get off the plane.

Agree.  Airports/air travel is a big part whether I"m on a cruise or land trip.   But there is some difference.   If there is an airline snafu, I'm late checking in for a land trip vs missing the embarkation for the cruise.   

• Like 1

I do hope this journalist is also speaking to some people who chose a land based vacation rather than a cruise.  I don't want to think that this journalist is pushing a one-sided narrative, but these days one does wonder.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have.

Honesty for me, I just love the relaxation of a cruise. Everything is taking care of for me.

When I was a child we would vacation to a beach condo in Florida, but no meals were included. So we would grocery shop for the week for breakfast and lunch item and then would go out to eat for dinner.

I just like with cruises how drinks, food, snack, and entertainment are all at your fingertips. There’s no driving to dinner or navigating somewhere. Yes you have to get to the ship, but once you’re there, you’re set. 

• Like 3

As someone who traveled for a living and traveled extensively by vehicle it is not the airports or fare - it is the constant packing and unpacking!  I am currently on a trip that started with land travel, cruised then now land travel again.  I told the DH never again, this is work, not leisure.  

I probably will still take a couple of select land based itineraries which are special and only available by land but it is no longer my first choice. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

As someone who traveled for a living and traveled extensively by vehicle it is not the airports or fare - it is the constant packing and unpacking!  I am currently on a trip that started with land travel, cruised then now land travel again.  I told the DH never again, this is work, not leisure.  

I probably will still take a couple of select land based itineraries which are special and only available by land but it is no longer my first choice. 

Constant packing and unpacking would be a pain.  That is why I don't do it.  When bouncing around like you describe I just live out of the suitcase.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ldubs said:

Constant packing and unpacking would be a pain.  That is why I don't do it.  When bouncing around like you describe I just live out of the suitcase.  

I'm pretty sure @Mary229 doesn't really unpack in every hotel. But something is always at the bottom of the suitcase(s) and eventually everything has to be taken out and re-packed with the dirty clothes on the bottom and the clean clothes in some semblance of order on the top.

We have travelled SO many places this way. I'm ready to never do it again, choosing instead to pick a place and stay in there for a week or more. We have done this in Beijing, Moscow, Barcelona. Some of my favorite travel memories! 

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

I'm pretty sure @Mary229 doesn't really unpack in every hotel. But something is always at the bottom of the suitcase(s) and eventually everything has to be taken out and re-packed with the dirty clothes on the bottom and the clean clothes in some semblance of order on the top.

We have travelled SO many places this way. I'm ready to never do it again, choosing instead to pick a place and stay in there for a week or more. We have done this in Beijing, Moscow, Barcelona. Some of my favorite travel memories! 

In Europe the rail system makes it pretty easy to pick a "base camp" so to speak.  We enjoy doing that.   

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ldubs said:

In Europe the rail system makes it pretty easy to pick a "base camp" so to speak.  We enjoy doing that.   

Yes, I've done that with several European cities, but I've also done lots of road trips where most of the luggage stays in the trunk. 

Edited by calliopecruiser
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

Yes, I've done that with several European cities, but I've also done lots of road trips where most of the luggage stays in the trunk. 

I would like to do a trip like that visiting places here in the USA that I have still to see. Taking a slow drive up the west coast to the Canadian border would be a nice getaway.   I've spent time camping along Hwy 1 in Northern California but never gone all the way north.  Additionally, outside of the Grand Canyon, there is a whole bunch of the Southwest US that I have not been to.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Additionally, outside of the Grand Canyon, there is a whole bunch of the Southwest US that I have not been to.  

I did a US southwest road trip in the fall of 2001, and it was really lovely - I did kind of a big circle from Las Vegas, because that was a place easy to fly in and out of.  I highly recommend it, although I recognize it's been a long time since then.  Zion National Park was wonderful -- better than the Grand Canyon, in my opinion -- as was Arches National Park. and seeing Monument Valley was pretty awesome too. 

• Like 2

On 8/25/2022 at 10:08 AM, YourWorldWithBill said:

Sure, I'd speak with someone, depending on the publication. Before a recent cruise from Greece up the Adriatic we debated doing a land package, but while we were on the cruise decided we were happy we chose the cruise. We've used tour companies, traveled solo, and now choosing cruises most of the time. Leaving for a cruise soon, and booking another.

Thanks so much for the reply! The interview has been completed, but will be sure to reach out if we receive any similar requests in the future. Glad to hear you had a wonderful cruise!

On 8/26/2022 at 4:07 AM, calliopecruiser said:

That's very true -- the decision to drive isn't one that everyone is able to consider. Out of curiosity, have you made any changes to your hotel/cruise port decision with the issues travelers have been facing at the airports?

On 8/26/2022 at 10:03 PM, Susan in Maine said:

Sure I'd be interested in talking to them, depending on the publication.

Thank you so much for the reply! The interview has concluded, but I'll be sure to reach out if we get any similar requests!

On 9/8/2022 at 2:43 PM, kelkel2 said:

I have.

Honesty for me, I just love the relaxation of a cruise. Everything is taking care of for me.

When I was a child we would vacation to a beach condo in Florida, but no meals were included. So we would grocery shop for the week for breakfast and lunch item and then would go out to eat for dinner.

I just like with cruises how drinks, food, snack, and entertainment are all at your fingertips. There’s no driving to dinner or navigating somewhere. Yes you have to get to the ship, but once you’re there, you’re set. 

So true! Now that I'm a parent, the convenience of a cruise that you described is even more appealing to me!

• Like 1

On 9/8/2022 at 9:42 PM, Mary229 said:

Such a good point -- especially on those destination-heavy trips. Even the multiple reservations that need to be made seem completely overwhelming. Hope it was a good trip, despite all of the work!

Just a quick note to share that this specific media request has concluded, and the journalist is no longer looking for sources. So appreciative of the replies (and conversation!) -- I'll be sure to reach out to those of you who were willing to chat if we receive any future requests that are similar in nature.

Happy travels to all (whether by air, land, sea...or all of the above 🙂 ).

Aubrey