Priority Pass

Ilovesailaway

Preparing to ramp up travel and I plan on fully using the perks and rewards on my cards. My Global Entry interview is scheduled, tons on air and hotel miles in my banks, new luggage, and I just joined Priority Pass. 

Any Priority Pass members care to share experiences or advice? Favorite lounges? Best times to go? Basically any info.... I am excited to travel again and I like to digest all the info I can lol

It is difficult to make any general recommendations.  The quality of lounges varies from airport to airport and often also for the individual airport.  
Download the Priority Pass app and search for information about the individual lounges in the airports you are traveling from/through.

For me, the flight is first Priority - then I find the best lounge at the respective airports.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One important thing to remember is that not all Priority Pass memberships are the same.  Some require co-pays, some don't cover restaurants, some have limits on the number of free visits.  So do your research into the specifics of YOUR particular plan.

Other things to remember:  Some lounges allow PP for only certain hours.  Some lounges restrict PP when there is high demand, while allowing other folks to enter, so don't get upset if that happens.  And that PP does not operate the lounges - they are facilities that contract with PP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had PP the last few times I traveled (the card I got it through has now changed to a different offering, so I no longer have it.) 

Depending on your airport/airline/terminal combination, there may or may not be a lounge that you can access, so definitely check what is available at the exact airport/terminal that you are departing from. 

For example, when I flew to the UK in 2019 from Toronto Pearson, I was able to access a lounge with my PP card, but when I few domestically (Toronto-Vancouver return) this April, there were no PP-accessible lounges available at either end of my trip. I was able to use one of my 'lounge access' passes to get a discount (effectively a free meal) at a restaurant in the terminal, however. 

Also, a number of airport lounges are still closed, so double check not only what lounges are available, but whether or not they're open. I would recommend checking the airport website, instead of the PP app/website, for that. 

Do also check what your membership includes - the number of visits, whether it requires a copay, etc. 

Priority Pass don't operate their own lounges so the standard can vary hugely but for the most part, IMO, they're on the mediocre end of the scale of airline lounges. If you're used to the airline's own business class/first class lounges then you'll probably be disappointed.

Download the Priority Pass app once you get your credentials and it'll let you know which PP offerings apply to you when you search by airport. It'll filter out any restaurants, spas, etc. you can't use.

I'm glad I don't pay for Priority Pass because it's something I've used half a dozen times at most in the decade or so I've had it and hundreds of flights that I've taken... 

It's all over the map.  In some places it's a lounge, in others it's a restaurant credit. In Atlanta for example its a private room for a period of time.   If you're flying domestic it might only be in the international terminal. It all depends on what airports you frequent. It's an ok perk if it's free, but certainly nothing I'd pay for.

11 hours ago, neeuqdrazil said:

I had PP the last few times I traveled (the card I got it through has now changed to a different offering, so I no longer have it.) 

Depending on your airport/airline/terminal combination, there may or may not be a lounge that you can access, so definitely check what is available at the exact airport/terminal that you are departing from. 

For example, when I flew to the UK in 2019 from Toronto Pearson, I was able to access a lounge with my PP card, but when I few domestically (Toronto-Vancouver return) this April, there were no PP-accessible lounges available at either end of my trip. I was able to use one of my 'lounge access' passes to get a discount (effectively a free meal) at a restaurant in the terminal, however. 

Also, a number of airport lounges are still closed, so double check not only what lounges are available, but whether or not they're open. I would recommend checking the airport website, instead of the PP app/website, for that. 

Do also check what your membership includes - the number of visits, whether it requires a copay, etc. 

Plaza Premium lounges in domestic areas of Toronto and Vancouver use to be part of Priiority pass.  Sometime during COVID that stopped being the case.  I still get access through WestJet loyalty program and American Express.   Those lounges are quite busy these days.   

As has been mentioned, Priority Pass can be hit or miss. Priority Pass does not have their own lounges. They contract with various lounges around the world. Many times, I have attempted to enter a lounge when there will be signage indicating that the lounge is not accepting Priority Pass members at that time due to overcrowding (Due to the lounge being full of those particular airlines club members).

I've had better luck when traveling internationally of being able to use my Priority Pass membership. Not so much when flying here in the States.

13 hours ago, em-sk said:

Those lounges are quite busy these days.   

Yeah, over the years, I've realized lounges are often not what they appear to be. There are a lot of mediocre ones out there with overwhelming crowds and underwhelming food/drink options. There have been several times where I have left lounges to find quiet or empty gate areas because they are more comfortable. 

I have one PP membership through my Plat Amex and another through a Hilton Honors card.  The Amex card membership is superior as far as access and additional costs.... I think my entry is free but had to pay for even one guest.  Even still I only use it if there isn't a decent Star Alliance lounge available, which I have access to through a United branded MC.   Like FT says YMMV depending on your particular membership.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2022 at 12:45 PM, vjmatty said:

I have one PP membership through my Plat Amex and another through a Hilton Honors card.  The Amex card membership is superior as far as access and additional costs.... I think my entry is free but had to pay for even one guest.  Even still I only use it if there isn't a decent Star Alliance lounge available, which I have access to through a United branded MC.   Like FT says YMMV depending on your particular membership.  

I have PP through my CC and I have been very underwhelmed with it.  There seems to be no lounges for most domestic airports (US) and when we traveled to London the one lounge they had was at capacity at 9am so we couldn’t use it either.  I’ve had better luck burning a few airline points for a day pass into their lounges. I hope PP expands in the future or it holds little value to me. 

• Like 2