How to you communicate w family on cruise?

Hi.  We will have some with Voom package, some without.  All iphones.  All ATT.  If we keep phones on airplane mode w WIFI on, will we be able to text and find each other, as we would normally with Life 360 and other find phone apps?  thank you.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, topanga49er said:

Hi.  We will have some with Voom package, some without.  All iphones.  All ATT.  If we keep phones on airplane mode w WIFI on, will we be able to text and find each other, as we would normally with Life 360 and other find phone apps?  thank you.

We do it like we did prior to cell phones, by coming up with an agreed upon plan and time, and we also use magnetic white boards on our cabin doors to post updates. 

• Like 2

We pay for internet for everyone so that we can keep in touch. If we aren’t going to be together in port, we use Verizon’s travel pass to communicate. We also drop in our our kids to make sure they are where they told us and behaving appropriately. They do the same to us!  

I’ve heard mixed success with the texting feature of the Royal app which is $1.99 per device per day. 

Without paying for internet you will not be able to keep in touch with those who are not using it.  If it's important to you that everyone be able to communicate, then upgrade your internet package to allow you to cover all the devices.  Adding extra devices is usually cheaper than buying more individual packages.

• Like 1

Everybody needs the WiFi access on all the time and with IPhone you will be able to text and voice call each other.  Rather than everybody buy their own WiFi just have one person buy it and add as many devices as you need.  It's much cheaper that way.  We just sailed Navigator and I bought the WiFi on my account.  For the 4th device it was about $5 a day.  

Or.... just leave the wifi off?

Post-it notes on the inside of the cabin door worked for us with our teens and older, plus agreed upon times for meals. 

Never lost a kid that way, and don't expect to.  The cost of the messaging -only packages is absurd for the value returned, and we're not taking a cruise so we can do all the online things we do at home....

Edited by Lane Hog
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Motor City said:

walkies 

They seemed to be somewhat popular for awhile but it has been some time since I've encountered anyone using them. They are not very reliable if you are separated by a deck or two with the person you are trying to communicate with.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Motor City said:

walkies 

I have never had walkie talkies work on a cruise ship, and they were not cheap ones. The exception being, when everyone was outside on the pool deck, but they never worked inside.

Edited by cruise1957

18 minutes ago, cruise1957 said:

I have never had walkie talkies work on a cruise ship, and they were not cheap ones. The exception being, when everyone was outside on the pool deck, but they never worked inside.

Mine have worked great. Everywhere on the ship and even when I’m on the ship and wife goes in port to do some shopping. No problems.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, topanga49er said:

Only those with wifi will be able to communicate.  If you don’t buy the wifi, your phones won’t work unless you have a plan from your carrier that will work on the ship (and I don’t know how well those work-never done it that way).  

As well as having a plan (we will meet for dinner at 7:30), leaving notes in cabin or on cabin door, there are telephones in cabins and phones on the wall in public spaces, suitable for calling each other without carrying a device around.

32 minutes ago, GetToLivin said:

So its been a couple years since I've cruised -- but I thought the Royal app had a text option?

It does- $2/day. Everyone who wants to use it needs to buy it for the whole sailing. 

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Scotico said:

Will Verizon Travelpass work on the cruise ship.  That is only $10 day and it's unlimited everything.

On the ship Travelpass does not work.  On ship Verizon pricing is pay as you go for voice at $2.99/minute, $0.50 per outgoing text, $0.05 for inbound text and $20 for 50 MB of data.  

In ports, you could use Travelpass if in one of the included countries.

it’s mentioned here that your iMessage(iPhone) will work if you connect to the ships wi-fi to just to use its app for free.

kinda an unknown iphone hack

ffwrd to video the 9:25mark

Edited by Motor City