Ask me before you upgrade me!

GOLDENBONNY

Got email from Princess that us and my brother got upgraded 🤬  . I spend two days booking us proper cabins close to each other ! I hate aft cabins and my brother got cabin right by elevator two floor up from us . Our cruise in January so why would they do it I have no clue. I booked my cruise online from third party so now I spend my evening calling around to get my cabins back. I really wish they would ask customer if they want new cabin before they actually do something.

• Like 4

Fire your TA and get one who knows what they are doing. Any TA who deals with cruises should have asked you at the time of booking if you were open to upgrades. There is a No Upgrades option. It's not Princess's fault if people don't read before they book.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 4

Golden.....   it is possible that you will not be able to get your original cabins back.

Even if they are marked No Upgrade, they will still move cabins to create the necessary Covid Isolation area.  It seems that I have seen forward sections of lower decks used for this.  And I notice you don't like to be Aft.

A recent thread here was about how somebody was aft, and wanted to be there, but Princess kept trying to move them.  I don't think any reason why was ever figured out!

Free random upgrades would probably be very rare now that Princess is starting the new Bid for Upgrade system.

One thing that you can do is this.  Now that you have your new upgraded cabin calories,  look for cabins with that category that might still be available.  You can do an even category move easily.

And, do make sure that it is marked NO UPGRADE.   Hopefully Princess will not move you again unless there is some real reason.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mom says said:

Fire your TA and get one who knows what they are doing. Any TA who deals with cruises should have asked you at the time of booking if you were open to upgrades. There is a No Upgrades option. It's not Princess's fault if people don't read before they book.

Reports are that even with the No Upgrades option some people are still getting unwanted upgrades. It's NOT the TA that is at fault here. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, PTMary said:

Reports are that even with the No Upgrades option some people are still getting unwanted upgrades. It's NOT the TA that is at fault here. 

That is absolutely true.

• Like 3

Your TA can decline the upgrade for you and hopefully get your cabins back.  Did you look online to see if the cabins are still showing as available? If so it should be easy for the TA to get the cabins back.  If they have been sold that’s a bit harder. 

it’s also true that even if the booking is marked no upgrade Princess still might move you for operational issues.

I have been given an unwanted upgrade on every single Princess cruise that I have booked.  I book Lido deck inside cabin and get an upgrade to a much lower deck aft or mid ship.  I have been successful so far on getting all my cabins back but it is a pain having to wait on hold to get back what I originally booked.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mom says said:

Read what?  Cruise Critic?  The OP booked through a third party agency.  I booked through a Princess CVP and I wasn't asked.  I don't recall the option when booking at princess.com.  I only know about the no upgrade thing because of CC.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Kabuki12 said:

I have never seen a no upgrade option when I have booked.  It's not an option on the site.  

Correct.  It is an option in the booking system that only TA's and Princess agents have access to.  It defaults to "Accept Upgrades" and unless the guest is aware of it, or is asked by the agent, it is turned on for them automatically.  Note @SomewhereGirl's point - she was not asked and only learned from this forum.  If no agent points it out, a bet a lot of people find out by surprise and don't realize how the system works.  Agents should ask their clients, but I imagine many would be surprised a client wouldn't want an upgrade.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Agents should ask their clients, but I imagine many would be surprised a client wouldn't want an upgrade.

Actually, my UK TA, (who only sell cruises) always assume that you do not wish to be upgraded.

My understanding is that they receive so much negative feedback about upgrades to inferior locations,  that their default position is to always "tick" the no upgrade option, unless you specify otherwise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Correct.  It is an option in the booking system that only TA's and Princess agents have access to.  It defaults to "Accept Upgrades" and unless the guest is aware of it, or is asked by the agent, it is turned on for them automatically.  Note @SomewhereGirl's point - she was not asked and only learned from this forum.  If no agent points it out, a bet a lot of people find out by surprise and don't realize how the system works.  Agents should ask their clients, but I imagine many would be surprised a client wouldn't want an upgrade.

The problem for me is that these so called upgrades were not upgrades.  They put me in a less desirable cabin. To me an upgrade is an interior to an ocean view or a balcony.  Taking the interior room which I booked and "upgrading" to another interior room somewhere else doesn't make sense to me.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Kabuki12 said:

Taking the interior room which I booked and "upgrading" to another interior room somewhere else doesn't make sense to me.

As far as the cruise line is concerned,  cabins midships and on lower decks are more desirable,  as they are less susceptible to movement.  They are therefore considered to be an upgrade from a aft cabin on a higher deck.

If you have been "upgraded" on every cruise,  I am surprised that  you did not raise the issue at some point with the customer service team on board,  when they would have told you about the "no upgrade" option. 

Edited by wowzz

4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

As far as the cruise line is concerned,  cabins midships and on lower decks are more desirable,  as they are less susceptible to movement.  They are therefore considered to be an upgrade from a aft cabin on a higher deck.

If you have been "upgraded" on every cruise,  I am surprised that  you did not raise the issue at some point with the customer service team on board,  when they would have told you about the "no upgrade" option. 

There is no upgrade option when you book online.   Nobody at Princess told me about a no upgrade option.   I did get an email that the I received an upgrade and each time was able to switch back to my original cabin.

5 minutes ago, Kabuki12 said:

There is no upgrade option when you book online.   Nobody at Princess told me about a no upgrade option.   I did get an email that the I received an upgrade and each time was able to switch back to my original cabin.

I suppose the lesson learnt is not to book online, but to book through an Agent or via Princess.

It does seem crazy that the "no upgrade" option is not available on internet bookings.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Kabuki12 said:

There is always an upgrade option when I book or look at making a booking.  it shows on the first page after selecting a cabin  - the page is headed "Stateroom and pricing summary"  and the upgrade option shows under the bedding selection.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, robncruise said:

There is always an upgrade option when I book or look at making a booking.  it shows on the first page after selecting a cabin  - the page is headed "Stateroom and pricing summary"  and the upgrade option shows under the bedding selection.

It might be that the no upgrade option is not available online in the U.S. and is available as a choice online elsewhere.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kabuki12 said:

It might be that the no upgrade option is not available online in the U.S. and is available as a choice online elsewhere.

Certainly very obvious on the UK site as well.

I'm very surprised that the US site wouid be different to the rest of the world.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, robncruise said:

New info for me.  But not the case in North America market.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wowzz said:

I suppose the lesson learnt is not to book online, but to book through an Agent or via Princess.

It does seem crazy that the "no upgrade" option is not available on internet bookings.

Not necessarily true. My TA didn't say anthing. After reading these threads I looked at the fine print on my confirmation, and it said it there... Any Upgrade Offered

I quickly called and had that taken off. 

7 minutes ago, FLAlaska said:

Not necessarily true. My TA didn't say anthing. After reading these threads I looked at the fine print on my confirmation, and it said it there... Any Upgrade Offered

I quickly called and had that taken off. 

My TA always checks with me. The default option is to decline any upgrade.