LIVE FROM THE MUSE

Lois R

one word explanation, MONEY! They are doing this to save MONEY. it's total BS excuses like this we ran into in June on Spirit. They lost our business. I got sick of the finger pointing and lies. Nobody takes ownership of the truth. F&B manager's bonus is based on if they go over/under budget on food costs. The buffet is sorely lacking any creativity and many times something hot and fresh...

make sure to leave a very unpleasant guest survey about this. it's the only way to get anything changed on SS.

Accessor, tell us how you really feel.........

I had no issues with the buffet and if that puts me in the minority so be it. I am also not going to call anyone a liar. 

My BIGGEST issue with my sailing (this was my review) was the temps on board the ship and yes, I did speak with multiple people about it and I left a message on my questionnaire about it.  I cannot recall being so cold for so much of the time on any of my previous sailings😲

It does not help the cause when a major competitor initiated the closing of MDR during lunch hours prior to Covid and remains that way today.  Not all ships and not all the time.  But it is a loss for those that enjoy the venue for a relaxing lunch.  As relaxing as relaxing can be for a 60 to 90 minute period.

51 minutes ago, saminina said:

But it is a loss for those that enjoy the venue for a relaxing lunch.

It is arguably an even greater loss for an elderly person with limited mobility who is sensitive to the midday heat on the pool deck.  For such a person, neither La Terrazza nor The Grill suffices. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Never heard this before, but never asked either.  How do you know this to be true?

Me too (never heard of it).....so the F&B Manager just decided to close the venue to make more money?  Sorry, I don't buy it.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Lois R said:

He was not the only one who told me it was the CDC but I do agree it does not make a lot of sense.

I did not continue to press him about it........after a couple of tries I realized whatever was the cause was not going to change on my sailing.  I have to say, the buffet  had some really good soups though

(In my opinion)🙂

How about cost savings????

On 9/4/2022 at 7:49 AM, Accessor said:

Nobody takes ownership of the truth. F&B manager's bonus is based on if they go over/under budget on food costs.

I do know, because I have been told this by a HAL Culinary Operations Manager, that corporate does look at how well the ship does in staying within its food/beverage budget.  Does someone's "bonus" depend on such?  Doubtful.  Continued employment with the company?  Might be.  (The last two sentences are an editorial opinion of mine.  Not facts")  

Ownership of the "truth"?  The theme on cruise ships is "happy, happy".  Trying to get a straight answer to some questions from an Officer is like pulling teeth out of a chicken."  

On 9/4/2022 at 2:44 PM, Gourmet Gal said:

I would think it has more to do with staffing than anything else.  Still an issue in many places worldwide.

I agree.  And, if staffing was the concern, then, why not be honest about it and don't blame a third party?  

On 9/4/2022 at 2:44 PM, Gourmet Gal said:

I would think it has more to do with staffing than anything else.  Still an issue in many places worldwide.

Then close the paid restaurants and keep open all the ones advertised as included with your cruise fareIF you are short handed. Just sick of the Covid or CDC as an excuse.  If you can't staff a ship fully, then keep it sidelined until you can. Yes, upper management has incentives to stay on budget, including bonus compensation based on Glass Door F&B management job postings for cruise ships. https://www.glassdoor.com/Monthly-Pay/Royal-Caribbean-Group-Food-and-Beverage-Manager-Monthly-Pay-E3579_D_KO22,47.htm

Edited by Accessor
  • Thanks 2

On 9/1/2022 at 1:44 PM, Lois R said:

I have to say, the crew and staff were outstanding again😀. CD AND ASST CD, Rico and Jessie are the best(in my opinion).

Is Rico back? Great news. He is the best. I'd heard that he quit. Glad it was wrong info.

12 minutes ago, CJANDH said:

Is Rico back? Great news. He is the best. I'd heard that he quit. Glad it was wrong info.

He is awesome. He and 75% of the ship's crew and staff disembarked yesterday in Anchorage. Some went home, others went to different vessels. Muse is now on her way to Singapore (no paying guests are on now).  25% of working folks are on board.

Oh, he didn't quit but took some time off after the 2021 season. He told me he will be home for a couple of months now and is then going to the Moon.