Where are Medallions being shipped FROM anyway?

Pamster

On 8/29/2022 at 9:30 AM, StLouisCruisers said:

On the advice of a friend who sailed earlier in the year, we did NOT order our medallions ahead of time and therefore picked them up at check in.  Takes an extra 15 to 30 seconds.  They had our names, ship name, and cruise dates and were black for elite status.  The batteries do usually die in about 3 weeks so if your cruise is longer you end up at Guest Services having them replace it for you.  In my mind, it's just something you have to remember to pack so why order in advance?

Hmmm...we can elect to not order it? 

I am going on a 2 week cruise. If they send it to me about a week or 2 before, then the battery might not last. 

24 minutes ago, DrSea said:

I am going on a 2 week cruise. If they send it to me about a week or 2 before, then the battery might not last. 

I did two 7-days B2B without any issues using the same Medallion the whole time. Worst case scenario, if the battery dies Guest Services (or whatever Princess calls it) will issue you another one.

• Like 1

Just now, DallasGuy75219 said:

I did two 7-days B2B without any issues using the same Medallion the whole time. Worst case scenario, if the battery dies Guest Services (or whatever Princess calls it) will issue you another one.

Thanks. I won't be using it, but my guests will most likely enjoy use it. 

1 hour ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

I wouldn't worry about the battery dying.  They can make a new one for you in a minute or two.  I went through 3 of them on a b2b a couple of years ago.  Lost the first one on a port call (someone met me at the pier with a replacement,) and then the second one died at some point during the cruise; the third one carried me through the rest of the cruise.

• Like 1

In Australia we get the medallion at check in at the Port.  They will not post them to the passenger.

Now I am sailing on Coral Princess on Tuesday from Sydney. I just booked the cruise two weeks ago. I ordered the medallion and lanyard but who knows if it will be waiting for me. Just bring back ye olde Cruise Card please.  Half the stuff I have tried to upload on the app does not enter or save, so I will have to have a pile of documents in hand next Tuesday morning.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sea and Me said:

This is all new to me! We just booked a cruise to Alaska for May 2023 out of Seattle. After reading the posts I am assuming that the medallion is in place of the seapass is that correct and also used  to get into the cabin?

Correct.

And if all you want to use it for is getting on/off the ship, into your cabin and as a charge "card" anytime you make an on board purchase, then that is all you need to do with it.

No need to learn about how it can be used for other purposes unless you want to.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DrSea said:

On the other hand, the ones given at the port might be even older than the one mailed to you.

It's not like they put in a fresh battery at the port.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NSWP said:

In Australia we get the medallion at check in at the Port.  They will not post them to the passenger.

Now I am sailing on Coral Princess on Tuesday from Sydney. I just booked the cruise two weeks ago. I ordered the medallion and lanyard but who knows if it will be waiting for me. Just bring back ye olde Cruise Card please.  Half the stuff I have tried to upload on the app does not enter or save, so I will have to have a pile of documents in hand next Tuesday morning.

You'd need that same pile of documents even if you had managed to save your info. The boarding staff don't pay any attention to the app docs...yet.

On 8/29/2022 at 12:30 PM, StLouisCruisers said:

On the advice of a friend who sailed earlier in the year, we did NOT order our medallions ahead of time and therefore picked them up at check in.  Takes an extra 15 to 30 seconds.  They had our names, ship name, and cruise dates and were black for elite status.  The batteries do usually die in about 3 weeks so if your cruise is longer you end up at Guest Services having them replace it for you.  In my mind, it's just something you have to remember to pack so why order in advance?

At embarkation in FLL this past January, I was wearing my medallion on my complimentary lanyard.  As I was preparing to go to the end of the entry line at the terminal, a worker saw my medallion and said that we could go right into the terminal and took us to the Platinum/Elite boarding lane for check in.  If I had to pick it up at the port, I would have spent a lot of time standing in a line I didn't need to be in.

• Thanks 1

On 8/27/2022 at 11:34 PM, Steelers36 said:

Since they come from Singapore to N.A., has never made sense to me why they cannot be delivered to Canada as easily as to USA.  But not sure if they come from Singapore in bulk for the whole voyage and then sent out within USA to individual addresses.

I've found that to be curious as well.  I fall back to my belief that when something doesn't make any sense at all, there is a government agency involved somewhere.  I wonder if it has something to with Canadian Customs.  Is it possible that if the medallion were to be delivered in Canada that the entire cost of the cruise would be considered part of collectable duty and taxes?  According to the Canada Border Services Agency: "Any item mailed to Canada may be subject to the Goods and Services Tax (GST) and/or duty. Unless specifically exempted, you must pay the 5% GST on items you import into Canada by mail."  

More here:  Importing by mail or courier - Paying duty and/or taxes on imported goods (cbsa-asfc.gc.ca)

I am not professing to know the real answer but again I fall back to if it doesn't make sense, the government is involved somewhere along the line.

9 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I've found that to be curious as well.  I fall back to my belief that when something doesn't make any sense at all, there is a government agency involved somewhere.  I wonder if it has something to with Canadian Customs.  Is it possible that if the medallion were to be delivered in Canada that the entire cost of the cruise would be considered part of collectable duty and taxes?  According to the Canada Border Services Agency: "Any item mailed to Canada may be subject to the Goods and Services Tax (GST) and/or duty. Unless specifically exempted, you must pay the 5% GST on items you import into Canada by mail."  

More here:  Importing by mail or courier - Paying duty and/or taxes on imported goods (cbsa-asfc.gc.ca)

I am not professing to know the real answer but again I fall back to if it doesn't make sense, the government is involved somewhere along the line.

The answer is not with the cruise fare.  Also, for de minimis items - and certainly a couple of medallions would fall into that - there would be no charge.  Princess has never indicated Canada Customs as a barrier when I have made inquiries in the past since the introduction of the Medallion.

On 8/28/2022 at 11:41 AM, Pamster said:

LAX. Yeah, I remember they don’t ship to those sailing from foreign ports, but we live in LA and are sailing from LA. If they can’t get them to us in 3 months how well they ever get them to the port?  😁

They wouldn't actually ship them to the port (Santa Clarita is a long ways from Long Beach 🤣😄.)  Guest services has lots and lots of blanks, they just associate the ID of the medallion to that of your profile.  Only takes a minute or so, but that adds up to a long delay if there are hundreds of people without medallions.