Star officers refuse to attend CC Meet and Greet

MagnoliaBlossom

4 hours ago, TrumpyNor said:

What I actually don't get - is why you felt the need to post your comment here in the first place, since you obviously don't care.... 😉 

This is Cruise Critic where people come to learn things.  I stated I didn't get something, you explained one possible reason.  Thank you, that's the way it's supposed to work, is there a problem?

I don't understand why you wrote "you obviously don't care".  I care enough to have posted it, didn't I?  If you infer that I don't care, I guess that's on you.

28 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

I don't understand why you wrote "you obviously don't care".  I care enough to have posted it, didn't I?  If you infer that I don't care, I guess that's on you.

Yeah there was no call for that.   But then consider the name of the source.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cruiseinfoseeker said:

There were many at our Joy M&G at the end of May. The Cruise Director introduced them to us and few even briefly stayed after introductions to chat with us. 

If you were on the May 29th sailing of the Joy, I was with you at the M&G. Yes, I can confirm there was a large # of Officers and I got to speak to the CD for 10 minutes. In fact, he confirmed to me that there were 2933 passengers (approx.75% Double Occupancy) and 1677 crew on the ship.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 8:59 AM, MagnoliaBlossom said:

A few minutes later two officers, I could not tell who they were from where I was standing, but they told our leader that they don’t attend the meetings any longer.  

Looping back to this part of the first post...

It appears that the thread is based on the idea that "officers no longer attend the M&G", however as I read the quote above, it could very well be that it is just these two officers who no longer attend, not that their statement covered ALL officers.

I always attend the M&G, I find it pleasant to chat a bit with the various officers & hotel staff, and it's nice when they see you later in the voyage & say hi.  The most valuable part of the exercise, though, is making sure to pick up one of those little cards with the names & phone numbers of the various department heads.  If you have some minor mishap a couple days later -- a bag of laundry goes AWOL, something along those lines -- you'll have someone to contact who can get it resolved.  Works like magic.  (No, I don't escalate trivial stuff; but if I do have a concern, they are very happy to help me)  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, hrmkr said:

I have never been to a Meet & Greet.  Going to my first on our Getaway cruise in November.

Can someone please explain to me what is the big deal about the Officers attending other than to say you have seen them.  It would be cool though to meet the captain but everyone else?

Do they give you anything or they just show their face and say hello and answer a few questions and leave.

The one thing I have seen an officer give is his phone number on the ship.

9 hours ago, PATRLR said:

I'm another one that has no desire to meet the officers. 

Another one I don't get is the people who invariably ask during a live review "Can you post who the officers are?".  Does it really matter?  (I guess it does to these people, I just don't get it)

I'm going to...reluctantly, post a photo of the officers when I get on board. Mainly because I know I'll get the question next week. I sure don't give a hooey about who the officers are. 

• Like 2

SMH! My opinion, your opinion. LOL

IF you don't go to the M&G why even provide your opinion? 

IF you go to the M&G, then your opinion counts.

IF you don't cruise, what do you know about cruising?

Seriously, why don't we all accept someone else's opinion if it is describing how they feel about their experience?
Is this forum becoming divided like the political parties of today?
It is easy to find fault with things you don't agree with. 
People make suggestions and ask for opinions. Instead of trying to provide value added,  people immediately disagree with the suggestion. 
Then you have those that  try to control the boards. 
Why not make this more positive and try to understand we are all here to try to help each other with answers rather than criticism.
Remember, we are all interested in cruising, beating C19 and may meet on a future cruise.
Stay safe and happy cruising!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'm going to...reluctantly, post a photo of the officers when I get on board. Mainly because I know I'll get the question next week. I sure don't give a hooey about who the officers are. 

Have you ever considered that you don’t really HAVE to respond to a question?? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Have you ever considered that you don’t really HAVE to respond to a question?? 

Haha yes, but I don't want my "live" littered with requests for who is the Chief Engineer, Captain, GM, etc...so I'll throw a photo or two up and be done with it while helping those that do enjoy knowing who the current officers are.

Oh wait...should I not have responded to this post?😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sometimes, it pays to strike up a random conversation with officers.  We complimented the staff and our very positive experience to the officers and they asked for our cabin number. They had gifts sent to our cabin (not the Haven.)  We also were very pleasant and complimentary to the customer service person at the desk and she sent up caps and bags.  Nice!

2 hours ago, Oxo said:

SMH! My opinion, your opinion. LOL

IF you don't go to the M&G why even provide your opinion? 

IF you go to the M&G, then your opinion counts.

IF you don't cruise, what do you know about cruising?

Seriously, why don't we all accept someone else's opinion if it is describing how they feel about their experience?
Is this forum becoming divided like the political parties of today?
It is easy to find fault with things you don't agree with. 
People make suggestions and ask for opinions. Instead of trying to provide value added,  people immediately disagree with the suggestion. 
Then you have those that  try to control the boards. 
Why not make this more positive and try to understand we are all here to try to help each other with answers rather than criticism.
Remember, we are all interested in cruising, beating C19 and may meet on a future cruise.
Stay safe and happy cruising!

A learned opinion is always welcome...whether it is agreed with or not. The issue, however, is those who are adamant about sharing an opinion with no experience behind it what-so-ever. Just read through this topic, for example, and you'll see a number of people whose opinion is that "they've never this or never that and they just don't get why people do". Simply put, how can one give an opinion questioning the value of meeting an officer if they've never done so themselves?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Markanddonna said:

Sometimes, it pays to strike up a random conversation with officers.  We complimented the staff and our very positive experience to the officers and they asked for our cabin number. They had gifts sent to our cabin (not the Haven.)  We also were very pleasant and complimentary to the customer service person at the desk and she sent up caps and bags.  Nice!

Did that once in the elevator - I was actually kinda venting, wasn't paying attention to who it was, just an officer who asked about my cruise experience - and I was in the middle trying to get my airport transfer fixed (don't call us, we'll call you).  Gosh, it was fixed in record time.  Looked at the nametag when I got out of the elevator - it was the GM (or whatever his title was).

I do have an issue however with the heading for this post - "refused" is a pretty harsh term.  

17 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

A learned opinion is always welcome...whether it is agreed with or not. The issue, however, is those who are adamant about sharing an opinion with no experience behind it what-so-ever. Just read through this topic, for example, and you'll see a number of people whose opinion is that "they've never this or never that and they just don't get why people do". Simply put, how can one give an opinion questioning the value of meeting an officer if they've never done so themselves?

Thank you for your input. I guess we both tried to say the same thing. Do You think we made it clearer for those who have never done so themselves?

Let's hour we did. 

Relatively new cruiser here.  While  I would enjoy attending an informal meet & greet to meet other Cruise Critic members who have provided information and their experience on these boards, I could really care less if any officers attend . . . i'd much rather they spend their time and energy on ship matters!   I totally understand if officers want to limit public contact during times of covid to ensure their health and safety.

Some people have said they like to get the names and numbers of department heads at the M&Gs in case they need to contact a department to solve issues.  I've had great luck in just going to Guest Services and receiving prompt action if issues arise.

Edited by Thunderbird19

23 hours ago, Laszlo said:

A great time to do that is during a Behind The Scenes Tour. 

Agreed, but not everyone is Platinum and I'm not sure those have resumed post-pandemic.  Unlike the M&G's/Officer interactions, I found the BTS tours fascinating.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phillygwm said:

Agreed, but not everyone is Platinum and I'm not sure those have resumed post-pandemic.  Unlike the M&G's/Officer interactions, I found the BTS tours fascinating.

IDK if they have resumed or not. You don't have to be platinum to go on a tour, you just need to pay for it. And the paid tour is better than the free one for Platinum 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Laszlo said:

IDK if they have resumed or not. You don't have to be platinum to go on a tour, you just need to pay for it. And the paid tour is better than the free one for Platinum 

I asked about the Behind the Scenes Tour on the Jewel back in May, but I was told they weren't running it at the time due to COVID. They offered me a $25 nonrefundable onboard credit as a consolation prize. It took awhile for that credit to show up on my account -- I had to follow up a couple of times, if I recall correctly. 

Anyway, that's just one person's experience on one ship.  This past cruise was my first as Platinum, so I'm still looking forward to my first BTS tour!  

(The only time I've ever seen a paid option was on another cruise line, but honestly I haven't really looked for a paid option on any of my NCL cruises.) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JustAllie said:

I asked about the Behind the Scenes Tour on the Jewel back in May, but I was told they weren't running it at the time due to COVID. They offered me a $25 nonrefundable onboard credit as a consolation prize. It took awhile for that credit to show up on my account -- I had to follow up a couple of times, if I recall correctly. 

Anyway, that's just one person's experience on one ship.  This past cruise was my first as Platinum, so I'm still looking forward to my first BTS tour!  

(The only time I've ever seen a paid option was on another cruise line, but honestly I haven't really looked for a paid option on any of my NCL cruises.) 

That is not just one persons experience. It was the case for many months on most (if not all) ships. However, from more recent reports it seems that the OBC is becoming rarer now that some things are restarting. I don't think that I've heard of the BTS tour being resumed anywhere yet though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JustAllie said:

I've done a few paid, I believe they were $75 and like Vibe passes if you didn't sign up on boarding day it was sold out. When I went they seemed to limit it to 40-50 people taken around it two groups

I was allowed to film about 75% of the tour

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Laszlo said:

2 hours ago, Laszlo said:

I've done a few paid, I believe they were $75 and like Vibe passes if you didn't sign up on boarding day it was sold out. When I went they seemed to limit it to 40-50 people taken around it two groups

I was allowed to film about 75% of the tour

Thanks for the memories. I was on this tour and I am in your video. I was on the Platinum tour. If you paid for this you got the same tour as the free one. I think that is your hand holding the camera in my photo.

911117001_Breakaway2019.thumb.jpg.77377b4036b1e79fea197c939a3e0d40.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cardex said:

Thanks for the memories. I was on this tour and I am in your video. I was on the Platinum tour. If you paid for this you got the same tour as the free one. I think that is your hand holding the camera in my photo.

911117001_Breakaway2019.thumb.jpg.77377b4036b1e79fea197c939a3e0d40.jpg

Thats too funny, my wife and I were in the Haven and someone asked if I wanted to go on the Platinum tour... I said sure

• Like 1