Silversea ends covid testing requirement from September 5

wren2

I checked with Silversea this morning and the decision was made over the weekend that this is no longer required, at least for Europe. Would suggest all passengers check with their travel agents to see if this is the case in their areas. It will make travel so much easier, as it was always the time element that caused difficulties.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MIkeRoBrew said:

Unfortunately I don’t think this applies for stops (or embarkations) in Greece.  Hopefully Greece relaxes their policy soon. Just a heads up. 

Hi, love your screen name😀

• Like 1

I think it depends on how long ago you received your basic vaccine series.  All this info is on the SS site:

Up to Date Vaccinated Guests: You will need to be fully up to date with your vaccine status (“up to date” means a person has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccines, including any booster dose(s) when eligible), in accordance with each of the countries you plan to visit on your respective itinerary. We recommend that you refer to each country’s official government website to understand the complete vaccination status requirements for entry, as the ability to roam freely, enter restaurants, cultural institutions, etc. For example, some countries may allow entry for fully vaccinated travellers, but will require “up to date” vaccine status to dine at a restaurant. It is your responsibility to ensure you are adequately inoculated to enter and enjoy the countries on your itinerary.

Similar to testing, we have seen that destinations across the globe are now updating validity dates for vaccination series. Many countries have differing rules (both based on residency and as entry requirements), with most now indicating an “up to date” COVID-19 vaccine includes an additional dose anywhere from 90 to 270 days past the original series completion date. Quite simply, the vaccine will no longer be considered up to date unless an additional dose has been received after a certain time has elapsed from the completion of the primary series. So while the booster (or an additional dose) is not necessarily a requirement to sail with us, an up to date vaccination series is. By way of example for our guests residing in the US, please click here to understand the CDC’s definition of “up to date.”

Note that only one booster is required in almost every jurisdiction.  Even though the booster doesn't last any better than the original series, the 270 day limit only applies to the original shot(s).

• Like 1

On 8/30/2022 at 8:43 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Note that only one booster is required in almost every jurisdiction.  Even though the booster doesn't last any better than the original series, the 270 day limit only applies to the original shot(s).

Important to keep in mind though is here in the US the CDC defines what qualifies as “up to date” for the approved vaccines.   For those of us 50 years and older “up to date” means the basic shot(s) and two boosters.   With the new third booster expected to be approved this week I fully expect the CDC will add that to the definition of “up to date” shortly.   One caveat to the above is the new Novavax vaccine only requires the two basic shots right now.  

Edited by Randyk47

That may well be and I am all for common sense, depending on how useful it is to everyone else and to me. In the context of virus spread mitigation, I would hope that sense extends to taking advantage of the latest boosters. And I fully expect that the cruise lines will require us to be up to date with the regime so that there would be more safety on board.

Of course, the standard for regimentation has to be higher on a ship versus what people might do with themselves on land. The reason is not only self-evident but the cruise lines are running a business that is fragile enough considering all the debt they have taken on the past 2.5 years. For me to cruise I intend to get the bivalent booster in September or October, as soon as it is available.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Keep in mind, the boosters will mostly only protect you against illness serious enough to land you in the hospital.  Consider your risk tolerance.  You can still get Covid and have what is considered a “mild” case (not requiring hospitalization) but bad enough to ruin your vacation and possibly spread to others.  Imagine getting any kind of flu while traveling.  You can still have fever, nausea, skull crushing headache, incredible body aches, coughing, sore throat, etc. Unfortunately, I speak from experience as a fully vaxed and boosted individual.  One still needs to mask and social distance.

12 hours ago, Randyk47 said:

Important to keep in mind though is here in the US the CDC defines what qualifies as “up to date” for the approved vaccines.   For those of us 50 years and older “up to date” means the basic shot(s) and two boosters.   With the new third booster expected to be approved this week I fully expect the CDC will add that to the definition of “up to date” shortly.   One caveat to the above is the new Novavax vaccine only requires the two basic shots right now.  

I haven't seen this from the CDC – do you have a link?

In any case, there is apparently a pause in availability of booster shots in the US at present.  We got this email from a local pharmacy (which has been doing a big business in Covid shots) today:

The monovalent vaccines (current vaccines) are NO LONGER authorized for boosters. If you are intending to receive the boosters, please be patient and await our communication for when the NEW bivalent vaccines are available. We are anticipating late September.

Here you go.  https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/stay-up-to-date.html  No mention of the new  approved bivalent yet but on TV this morning the ex-CDC said the new bivalent booster would replace the existing boosters so people who had not gotten their second booster will or should wait.   

Edited by Randyk47

8 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

Here you go.  https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/stay-up-to-date.html  No mention of the new  approved bivalent yet but on TV this morning the ex-CDC said the new bivalent booster would replace the existing boosters.

Well, since the CDC suggests that you shouldn't get a booster until 3 months after a Covid infection, I'm still fully vaccinated with just one booster.

"In addition, people who recently had SARS-CoV-2 infection may consider delaying a primary series dose or their first or second COVID-19 vaccine booster dose by 3 months from symptom onset or positive test (if infection was asymptomatic). Studies have shown that increased time between infection and vaccination may result in an improved immune response to vaccination. Also, a low risk of reinfection has been observed in the weeks to months following infection."

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/clinical-considerations/interim-considerations-us.html#infection

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Well, since the CDC suggests that you shouldn't get a booster until 3 months after a Covid infection, I'm still fully vaccinated with just one booster.

"In addition, people who recently had SARS-CoV-2 infection may consider delaying a primary series dose or their first or second COVID-19 vaccine booster dose by 3 months from symptom onset or positive test (if infection was asymptomatic). Studies have shown that increased time between infection and vaccination may result in an improved immune response to vaccination. Also, a low risk of reinfection has been observed in the weeks to months following infection."

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/clinical-considerations/interim-considerations-us.html#infection

Therein lies some of the issues and confusion.  Each of us has to read the guidance and see where we fit being it age,  pre-existing conditions, other medications, had and have not had Covid and when, etc, etc.  What I wonder about is when a passenger arrivals at the cruise terminal will the staff understand all the what-ifs and buts.   

58 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

Therein lies some of the issues and confusion.  Each of us has to read the guidance and see where we fit being it age,  pre-existing conditions, other medications, had and have not had Covid and when, etc, etc.  What I wonder about is when a passenger arrivals at the cruise terminal will the staff understand all the what-ifs and buts.   

Which is a big reason the cruise lines are trying to get out of that business as fast as possible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Which is a big reason the cruise lines are trying to get out of that business as fast as possible.

I agree.  It is as clear as mud in some ways but I fear the cruise lines will go with the simplest answer and not necessarily the right one.   I heard the ex-CDC director on TV this morning and in so many words he said the same thing.  His basic message was Covid is still here and an issue and will be for the foreseeable future.  Yes medically they have gotten better at handling it be it via vaccines, treatments, etc., but it is not going away any time soon.  We still are trying to get our arms around the “new normal” and wherever that is or means.

Of course the 1918 influenza variant hasn't gone away and still causes cases. When it does they often are severe. But we have been living with it for over 100 years.

To me my greatest fear with covid is that a positive test may ruin my travelling so I am very grateful for the removal of the pre boarding test. And yes I have had 2 boosters plus covid.

7 minutes ago, drron29 said:

Of course the 1918 influenza variant hasn't gone away and still causes cases. When it does they often are severe. But we have been living with it for over 100 years.

To me my greatest fear with covid is that a positive test may ruin my travelling so I am very grateful for the removal of the pre boarding test. And yes I have had 2 boosters plus covid.

Ditto... And has been since our experience in January.

That said, there were worse places to be locked away. As. Long as you're not stopped boarding or getting your flight home, I'm more at peace with it. 

• Like 1

In reviewing the updated Silversea health protocol (link below), which come into effect on September 5th, I noticed that in some Caribbean destinations, independently-arranged shore excursions are not permitted: see "Exploration ashore" in the following link:

https://www.silversea.com/lp-silversea-hrts-consumer.html?cid_email=em_USA_EM2208295046_OTHER_AGN_DEM_LINK&utm_campaign=USA_EM2208295046&utm_source=USA&utm_medium=Email&cid=112760&mid=283859656

Perhaps this is not news to some cruisers, but it was to me, leading me to cancel some excursions (dives) that I arranged myself (i.e. not a Silversea-arranged activity) on the Bridgetown to Lima cruise, scheduled to begin December 5th.  

We saw a couple of islands in our January cruise on the Dawn that are on the list banning independent excursions.  Really not worried about that as just happens those are islands we’ve been to so no big deal.   Montserrat is on the list but we have a Silversea arranged tour for there.   Of course we have a little over four months before our cruise so stuff can change.

Edited by Randyk47

The Caribbean has been weird for a while.  We took a cruise on Oceania in January that followed strict Covid guidelines and had very little Covid onboard – but we experienced nothing like the itinerary that we had booked.  Things changed every day!  It became the 'cruise to whichever island will take us today' – and not because we were viewed as a pariah ship.  So for the foreseeable future I would only view Caribbean cruises as warm-water getaways that may (or may not) stop somewhere.  As an escape from NY in January?–anything works!  But if you are really interested in a particular place–better to book a stay in a hotel on that island. 

• Thanks 1