Crown Grill, current wine list

pebbles99

If you have the plus package you will only be offered a red or white wine.  White wines come in Chardonnay .. Pinot Grigio .. Sauvignon Blanc

Red wines .. Merlot .. Shiraz or Malbec.  
Gone are the days of a wine menu unless you are purchasing a bottle.  You can request a premier named wine and pay extra but a lot are not available.  
The wine was our biggest disappointment..  tried all the whites and most of the reds there was very little difference in quality all were cheap Italian plonk.  The Shiraz got the most votes.  We did get very big pours but guess that was just to make less visits to the bar for the waiters.  

1 hour ago, pebbles99 said:

Can't seem to find a current wine list for the Crown Grill, Royal Princess,

Thank you for your help

Vines tend to have a better selection. Take a glass from there into the Crown Grill,  although you may have to have a "glass to go".

17 minutes ago, seapals2 said:

If you have the plus package you will only be offered a red or white wine.  White wines come in Chardonnay .. Pinot Grigio .. Sauvignon Blanc

Red wines .. Merlot .. Shiraz or Malbec.  
Gone are the days of a wine menu unless you are purchasing a bottle.  You can request a premier named wine and pay extra but a lot are not available.  
The wine was our biggest disappointment..  tried all the whites and most of the reds there was very little difference in quality all were cheap Italian plonk.  The Shiraz got the most votes.  We did get very big pours but guess that was just to make less visits to the bar for the waiters.  

Just off the Ruby and the above statement is not quite true.  We had full wine lists in the main dining room and in the specialty restaurants.  There are tabs within the wine list for “wines by the glass”. On the left were the plus wines and in the right were the premium.  Each varietal (cab, merlot,etc) only had one choice on either side but the full description (winery, maker etc) were listed for both.  You know exactly what you are getting. I did not see any of the types of menus that have been previously posted but then I only had wine at dinner.

• Like 3

The updated ones on the link aren’t quite right either.  On the Ruby the Duckhorn Paraduxx, the Belle Glos Pinot and the Grgich Hills Merlot were all offered by the glass on the wine list handed to us in the MDR.  On the premier side of course.

Guess you’ll have to see when you board.  i think things are changing as the new premiere gets fully implemented. 

Edited by t&atravel
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, pebbles99 said:

Can't seem to find a current wine list for the Crown Grill, Royal Princess,

Thank you for your help

Hmm.  I had a reply much earlier and never got posted.  First, you may be offered a small number of "featured" wines in CG.  However, you have access to the full wine list you see in the DR's.  Just ask - or order the one you want.

Follow the link to my thread where I recently posted the complete Princess wine list, including analysis comparing cost on board to purchasing retail and paying the corkage fee.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2873921-summer-2022-princess-wine-by-the-bottle-list-analysis/#comment-63769889

10 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Hmm.  I had a reply much earlier and never got posted.  First, you may be offered a small number of "featured" wines in CG.  However, you have access to the full wine list you see in the DR's.  Just ask - or order the one you want.

Follow the link to my thread where I recently posted the complete Princess wine list, including analysis comparing cost on board to purchasing retail and paying the corkage fee.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2873921-summer-2022-princess-wine-by-the-bottle-list-analysis/#comment-63769889

First time Princess cruise September 17 out of Vancouver. We have Premier package as I am a wine drinker. We have sailed Celebrity many times and usually have Premium drink package. Question on wine glasses on Princess as all glassware on Celebrity is Riedel. When having better wine the glassware is a huge difference. What glassware does Princess use? Is it different in Vines?

Cg on sky princess last night.  Asked for wine list and was given the list from their bar which didn’t even have the premium plus wines.  I pulled up the list on the medallion application and suggested they give me a glass of one of the better wines.  After some confusion, I asked to seethe wine guy. He appeared and after a brief discussion he returned with a glass of the wine I wanted…which is not on the regular dining room menu, but shows only for the medallion CG menu.

we have found wine pours highly variable…and different bars have different house wines which is why they list generic categories.

this isn’t celebrity…

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Princess Fi said:

First time Princess cruise September 17 out of Vancouver. We have Premier package as I am a wine drinker. We have sailed Celebrity many times and usually have Premium drink package. Question on wine glasses on Princess as all glassware on Celebrity is Riedel. When having better wine the glassware is a huge difference. What glassware does Princess use? Is it different in Vines?

Libby 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, c-boy said:

Libby 

Theoretically,  the glasses used in Vines are not meant to leave the venue. If you want to take your wine elsewhere,  you should ask for the wine to be poured into a " go glass".  

I am still confused about what wines can be ordered on the Princess plus package.

I know it is any drink up ton12$?

But what wines should I find available at the various bars and restaurants on Sky Princess?

Is the complete list of available wines on the medallion app?

12 minutes ago, Traderboy said:

I am still confused about what wines can be ordered on the Princess plus package.

I know it is any drink up ton12$?

But what wines should I find available at the various bars and restaurants on Sky Princess?

Is the complete list of available wines on the medallion app?

https://profcruise.com/the-new-princess-beverage-packages-with-updated-bar-menus/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Princess Fi said:

This depends on which ship you are on. In April the brand new Discovery had Riedel like glasses everywhere. Meaning the wine glass had no lip. There were only 2 sizes red and white.  

On the Ruby this past June only Vines and MDR had Riedel available.  Vines automatically serves your wine in them and they do not like you to take the glass as there is a limited supply on that ship. In the MDR you must ask for a “real” wine glass. And some servers are not aware that white should be in the smaller of the two so you might have to specify. 

I actually carry on my own Riedel and bring my glass with me.  Well not on Discovery.   

I’m pretty particular about my wine and do not like what is considered mainstream. With this new program I’ve decided it’s best to bring on a few bottles as insurance. The supply of wines I’d consider trying are extremely limited from what I’ve seen from friends who’ve been on board recently.  

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

This depends on which ship you are on. In April the brand new Discovery had Riedel like glasses everywhere. Meaning the wine glass had no lip. There were only 2 sizes red and white.  

On the Ruby this past June only Vines and MDR had Riedel available.  Vines automatically serves your wine in them and they do not like you to take the glass as there is a limited supply on that ship. In the MDR you must ask for a “real” wine glass. And some servers are not aware that white should be in the smaller of the two so you might have to specify. 

I actually carry on my own Riedel and bring my glass with me.  Well not on Discovery.   

I’m pretty particular about my wine and do not like what is considered mainstream. With this new program I’ve decided it’s best to bring on a few bottles as insurance. The supply of wines I’d consider trying are extremely limited from what I’ve seen from friends who’ve been on board recently.  

Thanks for the details. I will probably take my own reidel as particular with this. I used to moving amongst bars on Celebrity where you can take your glass. I’m sure Vines will be visited but want the option to be mobile with a “good glass”. 

4 hours ago, Princess Fi said:

The glasses in the Vines are (or used to be - haven't been on in awhile) Riedels. On our last Princess cruise (Feb '22) we were happy to see that they changed out the awful stemmed water glasses for wine that were used in the DR's to nice, proper wine glasses. 

Sorry to say though, if you are used to Celebrity's wine program, you may be disappointed on Princess.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Princess Fi said:

Thanks for the details. I will probably take my own reidel as particular with this. I used to moving amongst bars on Celebrity where you can take your glass. I’m sure Vines will be visited but want the option to be mobile with a “good glass”. 

True that Vines doesn't like to see any of their glasses disappear.  I have had Riedel's in the DR.  My waiter procured for me (not sure if he asked his HW for permission), but the glasses were there every night.  Another positive thing to have same table and wait staff each night.  He just kept a couple of glasses for me for length of our voyage.  Will be disappointing if they are not going to keep these better glasses.  That said, I am not sure how many different ones Vines or the ship in general keeps.

Talk about taking your own.  I have a whole set for various wine styles and wouldn't want to risk bringing one or two for breakage, etc.  I can do without.  Meanwhile, the basic DR glass for wine is pathetic.  You need to use at least what they have for water if cannot get a Riedel.  I also have "everyday" white and red glasses from Riedel at home, but still not inclined to take them on a trip even though stemless and safer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

True that Vines doesn't like to see any of their glasses disappear.  I have had Riedel's in the DR.  My waiter procured for me (not sure if he asked his HW for permission), but the glasses were there every night.  Another positive thing to have same table and wait staff each night.  He just kept a couple of glasses for me for length of our voyage.  Will be disappointing if they are not going to keep these better glasses.  That said, I am not sure how many different ones Vines or the ship in general keeps.

Talk about taking your own.  I have a whole set for various wine styles and wouldn't want to risk bringing one or two for breakage, etc.  I can do without.  Meanwhile, the basic DR glass for wine is pathetic.  You need to use at least what they have for water if cannot get a Riedel.  I also have "everyday" white and red glasses from Riedel at home, but still not inclined to take them on a trip even though stemless and safer.

Thanks. We will be in Vancouver day prior. Homesense is a 10 minute walk from our hotel. I can usually pick up two Riedel there for $20 Cdn. Will just pick up and take and leave with our son and fiancé after the cruise as we will spend 3 days with them prior to flying back to Toronto. 

19 hours ago, wowzz said:

Vines tend to have a better selection. Take a glass from there into the Crown Grill,  although you may have to have a "glass to go".

Sadly, just off the Emerald. For the Plus package, for white wine in Vines, there were NO additional wines by the glass available than any other bar on the ship. ☹️

Nor were there any I could 'upcharge' to from Premium package.

I really hope this is better on some other ships and Emerald is an outlier....

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

https://profcruise.com/princess-bar-and-drink-menus-2022/

move down till you see crown grill.

19 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

The Crown Grill list in that first one is pathetic.  The second one is better.

If that second one is accurate, I can see where we will be dining in Sabatini's e very day.  The list of Super Tuscans is terrific and with offerings at various price points.  I am a bit surprised they don't list Tignanello.  They used to.  No big deal.  However, my suspicious mind tells me that not all ships carry that complete inventory.  The fact of the matter is that it is highly unlikely that we would eat at the same venue every night.  I'll bring a stash of my own (mostly California) wines to supplement Princess offerings at other venues and to enjoy in our cabin.  😁

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

You need to use at least what they have for water if cannot get a Riedel.

That's what we always used to do if we couldn't get a Vines glass to "borrow" (so silly really).

The "wine glass" they used to use in the DRs was ridiculous - an insult to the grapes!

On our Enchanted cruise in Feb. they had replaced all the wine glasses in the DRs with actually wine glasses - not sure of their brand (it wasn't Riedel), but they were a vast improvement over the former bud vases they had. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1