Best option when your cabin mate is sick and won't make the cruise in 2 days?

rockmom

Hi all, I know this has been asked quite a bit, but I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.  I'm sailing on Navigator departing Friday, Sept 2nd, so day after tomorrow.  My adult daughter was going with me.  She has the flu (she's a teacher and back to school nailed her).  She's tested several times for Covid and it's not that, probably just a bad case of the flu (high fever, vomiting).   We canceled her flight--oh and she lives in a different state than I do, so I've not been exposed.  Since I'm now sailing alone, I want to make sure I get the extra points for going solo.  Do I call and have her removed now, or have her be a no-show?  I have seen that getting the extra points for a no show is hit or miss these days.  

Thanks in advance for your input!  

In my experience (this was late January), when my daughter couldn’t join me on a 4-night Navigator, she was a no show and I got double (well, quadruple because it was during the double point promotion) points.  It was the second half of my B2B and I just told our steward that she wasn’t coming.  

2 minutes ago, IRMO12HD said:

In my experience (this was late January), when my daughter couldn’t join me on a 4-night Navigator, she was a no show and I got double (well, quadruple because it was during the double point promotion) points.  It was the second half of my B2B and I just told our steward that she wasn’t coming.  

This is a 5 night Navigator and also booked during the double point promo, haha!  Thanks for your input.  Oh, and I live in Washington as well--hi neighbor! 

Our travel mate was to sail with a friend in February '22. The friend ended up not going. Our friend sailed solo and as so many here state was expecting to receive double points. Once home and her points posted she only received 1 point per night instead of 2. She had made the reservation and paid for both of them to go. She contacted RCI twice and both times was told unless she booked solo to begin with they are no longer giving double points. They told her she would have had to take the other person off the reservation and reprice at double occupancy to get double points. She had already paid for 2 to begin with.

I told her to call C&A which she did two more times and got the same answer. Next she contacted them through the RCI FB page and got the same answer. She would have turned diamond but is short 2 points. We are sailing again this weekend and I told her as a last ditch effort try the Loyalty Ambassador onboard to see if they would do anything about the double points... she's not counting on getting them at this point. At least after this cruise she will be diamond.

So I wouldn't count on getting double points going forward. If you do it might be a one time thing.

• Thanks 1

We recently had to do a no show as well and when the new points were added to our account, the single did not receive extra points. I called C&A and was told that if someone becomes a single in a room after the 100% penalty phase, they do not give double points for the single. I asked about appealing it, and was told there was no appeal. Hopefully your situation will be different, but that's what we were told. 

39 minutes ago, brookmill18 said:

We recently had to do a no show as well and when the new points were added to our account, the single did not receive extra points. I called C&A and was told that if someone becomes a single in a room after the 100% penalty phase, they do not give double points for the single. I asked about appealing it, and was told there was no appeal. Hopefully your situation will be different, but that's what we were told. 

Did they refund you taxes and port fees for the no show person? 

23 hours ago, rockmom said:

Hi all, I know this has been asked quite a bit, but I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.  I'm sailing on Navigator departing Friday, Sept 2nd, so day after tomorrow.  My adult daughter was going with me.  She has the flu (she's a teacher and back to school nailed her).  She's tested several times for Covid and it's not that, probably just a bad case of the flu (high fever, vomiting).   We canceled her flight--oh and she lives in a different state than I do, so I've not been exposed.  Since I'm now sailing alone, I want to make sure I get the extra points for going solo.  Do I call and have her removed now, or have her be a no-show?  I have seen that getting the extra points for a no show is hit or miss these days.  

Thanks in advance for your input!  

Do not cancel her. On one of my cruises my hubby was a no show and for some reason he was canceled with full penalty. I didn’t cancel him nor was I expecting to get any refund except the typical tax and port fees. I just went round and round with Royal on the phone. Next is a letter to Baileys office. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Do not cancel her. On one of my cruises my hubby was a no show and for some reason he was canceled with full penalty. I didn’t cancel him nor was I expecting to get any refund except the typical tax and port fees. I just went round and round with Royal on the phone. Next is a letter to Baileys office. 

Isn't a no-show the same as a cancellation with full penalty?  Taxes and fees should be refunded, but nothing else.

22 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Isn't a no-show the same as a cancellation with full penalty?  Taxes and fees should be refunded, but nothing else.

I would think so, but for whatever reason they said since he was canceled with full penalty I wouldn’t get the extra points. When I pointed out I had gotten them before when he was a no show they said because he wasn’t canceled. It makes no sense to me since I didn’t cancel him and I don’t see what the difference is anyway. I need to know my exact points because I need to book a few more cruises to get free internet. 😁  

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 2