Military Discount Identification?

zanydoc

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

Yes it was a sea day on the Mariner and also on the Harmony

Thanks. Kathy reads the Cruise Compass and lets me know about events that may interest us. Hard to believe the ships we've cruised on wouldn't have  had the Veterans gathering. We'll be sure to look closer next cruise. She had to talk me into going to the first one I attended on Celebrity. I'll admit I enjoyed it. 

Edited by davekathy

9 hours ago, Anton said:

The check-in people at the port are only interested in marking off the boxes on their handheld devices for passport, completed set sail pass, vaccine if required, test if required, and security photo, and moving the line along.  They do not have the time nor interest to see if someone meets the requirements for whatever discounts they got.  I've used the military discount at least 25 times in the past year and not once was asked to prove it.  I do carry a hard copy of one of my DD-214s in my carry on bag.  It wouldn't surprise me if non-veterans are checking the box and getting it with no questions. 

At least Princess required me to email a DD-214 which they kept on file so I didn't have to do it again. for their OBC on every cruise.

if they get caught, It's a felony under the stolen valor act...Also the Department of Veteran Affairs now issues a DVA id card that can be issued to any Veteran!..This just can't be used for health services!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, davekathy said:

Agree. I have always received a military discount with Celebrity. They also don't require prof but I always Cary it just in case. Also with Celebrity on a sea day the CD and the captain will host a Veterans gathering. With Princess it's a standing OBC. Once you submit a copy of your DD 214 all cruises going forward the Veteran will receive a $100.00 OBC. 

Agree...it should be standard...not the hit and miss on select cruises with RCI. 

Actually we have been on several RCI cruises that had the Veterans get together...but it was self led.  No officers.  Bucky never goes to them.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Agree...it should be standard...not the hit and miss on select cruises with RCI. 

Actually we have been on several RCI cruises that had the Veterans get together...but it was self led.  No officers.  Bucky never goes to them.  

I attended a couple but being a female veteran, I was greatly outnumbered!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, island lady said:

I think that is different from what they do now.  The one on the Mariner 2 weeks ago the Capt said some words, the CD was there, one of the entertainers sang the national anthem,  and a band member played taps on the bugle.  It always brings tears to my eyes, especially since Dan who was a vet is gone

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I think that is different from what they do now.  The one on the Mariner 2 weeks ago the Capt said some words, the CD was there, one of the entertainers sang the national anthem,  and a band member played taps on the bugle.  It always brings tears to my eyes, especially since Dan who was a vet is gone

Awww....that was nice.  🙂  And once again, thanks to Dan for his service.  

Bucky shies away from the Veterans events...does not like to remember those days in the "Land of the Dragon" trudging through the swamps for two tours.  🤕

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, davekathy said:

Our last princess cruise was 2010.

Interesting. Is this posted in the Cruise Compass? If so I've never noticed. 

Yes, it’s in the cruise compass. The last one we went to was on the Odyssey on a sea day around 10am, I think. It was in the Two60 venue and it was almost packed! The captain and the CD were there and did a little speech. They played the National anthem and at the end, taps. They did a little demo of the Two60 theater also and that was cool. Then they went around the room with a mic and anyone who wanted to state who they were, what branch and how many years served and where from spoke. And if I remember correctly they had free Mimosas as well! It was really nice

Edited by zanydoc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, zanydoc said:

Yes, it’s in the cruise compass. The last one we went to was on the Odyssey on a sea day around 10am, I think. It was in the Two60 venue and it was almost packed! The captain and the CD were there and did a little speech. They did a little demo of the Two60 theater also and that was cool. Then they went around the room with a mic and anyone who wanted to state who they were, what branch and how many years served and where from spoke. And if I remember correctly they had free Mimosas as well! It was really nice

That is indeed nice as well!  Now...if they will just put the Military discount for booking as a regular feature on all cruises, would be even nicer.  🙂 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mpdog42 said:

if they get caught, It's a felony under the stolen valor act...Also the Department of Veteran Affairs now issues a DVA id card that can be issued to any Veteran!..This just can't be used for health services!

I’m pretty sure this is the card my husband has, and is the one I was hoping was good enough for ID purposes on this cruise. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, island lady said:

Awww....that was nice.  🙂  And once again, thanks to Dan for his service.  

Bucky shies away from the Veterans events...does not like to remember those days in the "Land of the Dragon" trudging through the swamps for two tours.  🤕

Pat I didn't either. But I understand, know and respect Bucky's reasons.  When I got discharged I stuffed just about all my military stuff in my duffle bag and tossed it in the first Salvation Army bin I drove by. I found out later my first wife kept my dog tags. I assume she still has them or maybe not. It took me many years (1991) before I told the truth about my time in the service. Especially working for the Government/Dept. of Defense (civilian civil service) for almost 40 years. Years later I went to my first Veterans gathering with Princess. Glad Kathy talked me into attending. Turned out to be a lot different than what I expected. Different branches of the service and different wars.  My take away was we all have something in common that required no explanation and also the acknowledgment from the cruise line. Not the cruise OBC or discount. But either one is still nice to have. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, zanydoc said:

I’m pretty sure this is the card my husband has, and is the one I was hoping was good enough for ID purposes on this cruise. 

That will work. My drivers license also has Veteran printed on it. I never take my VA ID but always have a copy of my DD214 in my passport wallet along with my covid vaccination card. Never had to show my DD214 when booking a cruise or at the embarkation terminal. I wouldn't have a problem showing it if I was asked to. 

7 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Pat I didn't either. But I understand, know and respect Bucky's reasons.  When I got discharged I stuffed just about all my military stuff in my duffle bag and tossed it in the first Salvation Army bin I drove by. I found out later my first wife kept my dog tags. I assume she still has them or maybe not. It took me many years (1991) before I told the truth about my time in the service. Especially working for the Government/Dept. of Defense (civilian civil service) for almost 40 years. Years later I went to my first Veterans gathering with Princess. Glad Kathy talked me into attending. Turned out to be a lot different than what I expected. Different branches of the service and different wars.  My take away was we all have something in common that required no explanation and also the acknowledgment from the cruise line. Not the cruise OBC or discount. But either one is still nice to have. 

Indeed, I wish I could talk Bucky into going to those as well...but I respect his feelings about it.  I did work a bit harder to get him to start going to the VA for medical.  Has been 15 years now, and he loves the clinic, the people there, and his doctors.  At least he is doing that.  🙂 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

Indeed, I wish I could talk Bucky into going to those as well...but I respect his feelings about it.  I did work a bit harder to get him to start going to the VA for medical.  Has been 15 years now, and he loves the clinic, the people there, and his doctors.  At least he is doing that.  🙂 

I agree. Glad to hear Bucky is using the resource he/we deserve. IMO, the government owes us that and I don't consider it a handout. My VA doctors are great. I also have the same non VA GP Kathy has but I rarely ever go to him. I will in a couple of weeks when we get our pre cruise covid tests. The VA clinics have come a long way from the earlier years. I use to call them the veterinarian clinics. 😲

• Like 2

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

I agree. Glad to hear Bucky is using the resource he/we deserve. IMO, the government owes us that and I don't consider it a handout. My VA doctors are great. I also have the same non VA GP Kathy has but I rarely ever go to him. I will in a couple of weeks when we get our pre cruise covid tests. The VA clinics have come a long way from the earlier years. I use to call them the veterinarian clinics. 😲

Lol! That’s like when I go in to do the eye exam and the patient calls me the Obstetrician! 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, mpdog42 said:

Does military discount only apply to US military / and allies or is it any military in the world? Could a mandatory military service in an European country some 30 years ago qualify for military discount on a Royal Caribbean cruise from Europe/Usa?

1. Active personnel currently serving in the Canadian National Defense; United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard or Reserves. Proper identification in the form of a United States Uniformed Services WHITE Identification Card for U.S. military personnel, and a WHITE N.D.21 Identification Card with a Red Canadian Flag displayed for Canadian National Defense personnel, must be presented at time of check-in.
  2. Retired from any of the divisions listed directly above. "Retired" is defined as A) enlisted personnel or officers with a minimum of 20 years of service, B) medically retired, or C) 100% disabled. Proper identification for those classified in category A or B must be in the form of a United States Uniformed RED (Reserve retired personnel) or BLUE (Active Duty retired personnel) Identification Card. Proper identification for those classified in category C is a United States Uniformed TAN Identification Card. Retired Canadian National Defense personnel are eligible and must possess a green NDI-75 card (retired personnel). All forms of identification must be presented at time of check-in.
  3. Veterans with an Honorable Discharge serving a minimum of 2 years, or 6-months in an active war zone, in any of the United States service divisions listed above. Proper identification in the form of a DD 214, plus a current photo must be presented at time of check-in.
  4. Spouses of actively deployed military personnel are eligible to book one stateroom as long as the eligible spouse is occupying the stateroom. This rate also applies to all other guests traveling in the same stateroom. Spouses of deceased military personnel are also eligible for the military rate. As proof of eligibility, spouses must present the Pink or Tan Dependent Military ID upon check-in.
  • All guests traveling in the same stateroom are eligible to receive the military rate. No additional staterooms, other than the one that is occupied by the military person is eligible for the military rate. Spouses, parents, in-laws, children or other family members or friends are not eligible for the military rate without the eligible military person occupying the stateroom. 

• Like 1

On 9/2/2022 at 7:08 PM, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Never been asked to see my military id. Juat gave them my service number. Uk RAF. My father in law uses his veterans card and again never been askednto show it.n

Does British military service count? Was this on US or European/other cruises? It's not only US/Canadian military that gets discounts?

5 hours ago, island lady said:

Don't feel bad...my entire career was a male dominated world....I got a kick out of it.  😉 

I don't feel bad about it all. My husband, who did not serve, likes to attend women veteran get togethers with me because no one thinks he's the veteran and asks him about his service. 😀 It's something I've gotten used to. We joke that I could be in the check out lane at Lowe's in uniform and he would be the one thanked for his service.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, UnregisteredUser said:

Does British military service count? Was this on US or European/other cruises? It's not only US/Canadian military that gets discounts?

Us or Canada only as booked on the North American website.  You would need to check on the Uk website for their terms and conditions regarding military discounts.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2022 at 6:08 PM, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Never been asked to see my military id. Juat gave them my service number. Uk RAF. My father in law uses his veterans card and again never been askednto show it.n

Do you get to get a discount for a UK veteran? I thought it was only US forces who got it? I am hoping in anticipation that you will reply saying yes you can as I served 24 years Army.