Specialty Restaurant Pricing Out Of Control

bigeagle12

2 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

We tell Chops every cruise that if we could get a salad and shrimp cocktail for reduced price we would eat there the entire cruise. We just don't eat that much at any one meal.

Indeed, that is another reason we don't go to the speciality restaurants. Like you, we most certainly wouldn't get our money's worth because we have small appetites.

An a la carte option might work and tempt us in, if they offered that. I know they do at izumi but we're not fans of that type of food.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, desibee said:

Lmao where are people seeing these cheap prices for Chops?  My Spectrum cruise in December it’s over $100 pp for a dinner in Chops.  The beverage package is $88 pp on sale.  Royal seems to think anyone departing from Singapore has Crazy Rich Asian money or something.

Holy Crap that is high. Is it $100 USD?

For our 7 night cruise on Navigator next month, got the UDP for $118 with 18% gratuity.  Have never had an UDP in the 7 years of cruising. Have done speciality restaurants maybe 8 times in all our cruises. Have always been satisfied with MDR or Windjammer. For the price of $17 a day for UDP, just had to purchase it. Will be eating Specialty restaurants every dinner for the first time in our cruising life.

• Like 6

After 50 some cruises on several lines, I have developed my own style of cruise eating that works for me.  Breakfast is the buffet or the MDR.  Lunch is the buffet or MDR.  Dinner is light fare from the D+ lounge and if that doesn't work out I hit the buffet.  The nice thing about the buffet in the evenings is that it's a lot quieter than the MDR, the food is hot, and I can dine at my own pace and have plenty of free time to enjoy the evening.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, frank808 said:

For our 7 night cruise on Navigator next month, got the UDP for $118 with 18% gratuity.  Have never had an UDP in the 7 years of cruising. Have done speciality restaurants maybe 8 times in all our cruises. Have always been satisfied with MDR or Windjammer. For the price of $17 a day for UDP, just had to purchase it. Will be eating Specialty restaurants every dinner for the first time in our cruising life.

Hi @frank808, are you on the 7 day Navigator on December 09?

This sailing was originally a 3 day sailing and I think in May, Royal combined it to make a 7 day sailing instead of the original 3 and 4 nighters. I saw for the month of July when I booked the December 9, the UDP was pricing between $99 and $106, as if it were a 3 night cruise.

In early August, I noticed in my cruise planner, the banner saying  ‘reserved’ on the UDP icon was gone, and when I pull up the calendar on Day1, it says 3 day Unlimited Dining Package’ which of course for this  7 day sailing, this is not an offering?

If you are not on the December night sailing, then it appears Royal has made this pricing error on another 7 day sailing as I believe the lowest price I have seen it for a 7 day Navigator sailing is $209 plus the 18% gratuities.

Please go into you cruise planner and let me know if the ‘reserved’ banner is showing on the UDP icon and if you are not on the December 9 sailing would you share which sailing.

I just went to the October 14th roll call and it appears the same thing happened that Royal combined the 3,4 day cruises into one 7 day sailing. I see someone also posted the UDP was pricing @$99, so it will be interesting what Royal does.

I am curious if Royal removed the ‘reserved’ banner in your cruise planner?

Edited by wallyj

58 minutes ago, wallyj said:

Hi @frank808, are you on the 7 day Navigator on December 09?

This sailing was originally a 3 day sailing and I think in May, Royal combined it to make a 7 day sailing instead of the original 3 and 4 nighters. I saw for the month of July when I booked the December 9, the UDP was pricing between $99 and $106, as if it were a 3 night cruise.

In early August, I noticed in my cruise planner, the banner saying  ‘reserved’ on the UDP icon was gone, and when I pull up the calendar on Day1, it says 3 day Unlimited Dining Package’ which of course for this  7 day sailing, this is not an offering?

If you are not on the December night sailing, then it appears Royal has made this pricing error on another 7 day sailing as I believe the lowest price I have seen it for a 7 day Navigator sailing is $209 plus the 18% gratuities.

Please go into you cruise planner and let me know if the ‘reserved’ banner is showing on the UDP icon and if you are not on the December 9 sailing would you share which sailing.

I just went to the October 14th roll call and it appears the same thing happened that Royal combined the 3,4 day cruises into one 7 day sailing. I see someone also posted the UDP was pricing @$99, so it will be interesting what Royal does.

I am curious if Royal removed the ‘reserved’ banner in your cruise planner?

I am on the same cruise and posted a while ago to that the UDP was a good price.  This is what is showing on my cruise planner. Seems like we are good for our first UDP. Am on Navigator right now for 10 days, so will be ready for a menu change next month.1561443167_Screenshot_20220904-175004_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.d93de0d9122cfd98c5c9fd97b71a2610.jpg

• Like 1

@frank808, thanks for responding, I just got off the Navigator on Friday, after being on the ship for 14 days. Living in Los Angeles makes it convenient without flying.

Appears Royal did not modify your planner title saying 3 day Unlimited Dining Package like they have done for the December 9 sailing.

Please report back if you have any issues using the dining package as I am pretty sure the $99 price was a mistake. 

Haffnar was the Diamond Lounge Concierge when I was on the Navigator earlier this year and it was nice to see him return for another contract, as he moved to SL even back then. I believe he is scheduled to be on Navigator till the end of November.

3 hours ago, frank808 said:

Thst was a mistake.  You got the UDP for the price of the 3 night package.  Enjoy it, you won't see that price again. 

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Thst was a mistake.  You got the UDP for the price of the 3 night package.  Enjoy it, you won't see that price again. 

Mine is close.  14 night cruise.  $262.  And all paid for with OBC from RC.  😉 

3 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

After 50 some cruises on several lines, I have developed my own style of cruise eating that works for me.  Breakfast is the buffet or the MDR.  Lunch is the buffet or MDR.  Dinner is light fare from the D+ lounge and if that doesn't work out I hit the buffet.  The nice thing about the buffet in the evenings is that it's a lot quieter than the MDR, the food is hot, and I can dine at my own pace and have plenty of free time to enjoy the evening.

I like your plan. Only thing I do different is room service breakfast on the balcony 2 or 3 days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I just want lobster included again. I object to paying the chops price and then a surcharge to get lobster. I can remember surf n turf when both were included in the chops price. 

Get Surf & Turf on lobster night in the MDR for "free" aka included. 

• Like 1

On our upcoming Symphony Sailing we bought the UDP for $166.99pp back in January of 2022. I thought it was a good deal. If you figure with gratuity for two it comes to $279.86 divide that by 7 nights in seven restaurants that's a $39.98 dinner. Considering the fact that last time I ate at Ruth Chris for two it was over $250. Win win in my book.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

On our upcoming Symphony Sailing we bought the UDP for $166.99pp back in January of 2022. I thought it was a good deal. If you figure with gratuity for two it comes to $279.86 divide that by 7 nights in seven restaurants that's a $39.98 dinner. Considering the fact that last time I ate at Ruth Chris for two it was over $250. Win win in my book.

I'm curious... how do you get from $166.99 to $279.86? Adding an 18% gratuity doesn't get you there and doubling the price to make it for two people doesn't get you there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I'm curious... how do you get from $166.99 to $279.86? Adding an 18% gratuity doesn't get you there and doubling the price to make it for two people doesn't get you there.

My bad didn't have my glasses on and looked at the wrong number in my notes.

Total for two plus Gratuity was $394.08

If you divide by 7 comes to $56.29 

Also I'm not counting lunch in the restaurants on the two sea days.

Still cheaper than most nice restaurants.

Sorry for the mistake.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, wallyj said:

@frank808, thanks for responding, I just got off the Navigator on Friday, after being on the ship for 14 days. Living in Los Angeles makes it convenient without flying.

Appears Royal did not modify your planner title saying 3 day Unlimited Dining Package like they have done for the December 9 sailing.

Please report back if you have any issues using the dining package as I am pretty sure the $99 price was a mistake. 

Haffnar was the Diamond Lounge Concierge when I was on the Navigator earlier this year and it was nice to see him return for another contract, as he moved to SL even back then. I believe he is scheduled to be on Navigator till the end of November.

We got on day you disembarked. Met a couple cruisers that were on the 4 day last week.

Haffner is very good and welcoming. He actually welcomed me to the lounge on Friday when I went in. He made it a point to come over and introduce himself that friday evening. Made sure we were comfortable and does a great job anticipating needs. Wife wanted some water before we left and he must have overheard and brought us a few bottles. 

Yes either end of Nov or might be Dec.  Will ask him tomorrow.

@frank808, Hi Frank, I just noticed in your cruise planner screenshots(?), there is the notation, ‘your good to go’ reservation is non refundable and cannot be modified.

I thought cruise planner purchases were always refundable up till they closed ‘sales’ like 48 hours before sailing? As I have seen many posts stating if you see a price you like buy it now, as you can always cancel and rebuy at the lower price?

Ken @Ourusualbeach, do you know if Royal has this stipulation for certain ‘ sales’ as I do not see this notation on my cruise planner purchase being non refundable and cannot be modified?

19 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

Thanks for reminding me why we don't ever go there.  It was novel back in the day and much cheaper, but even then we got much better steak at many places in San Antonio...Boudro's on the Riverwalk for one...excellent and twice cheaper!,  so we've only ever been to Ruthie's twice back around 1996.

It's funny... when we left there we decided that it was not worth it, and thought the last time we were at Texas Roadhouse we enjoyed ourselves more, and were more comfortable for a quarter of the cost. WE will likely not ever go back as well. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wallyj said:

@frank808, Hi Frank, I just noticed in your cruise planner screenshots(?), there is the notation, ‘your good to go’ reservation is non refundable and cannot be modified.

I thought cruise planner purchases were always refundable up till they closed ‘sales’ like 48 hours before sailing? As I have seen many posts stating if you see a price you like buy it now, as you can always cancel and rebuy at the lower price?

Ken @Ourusualbeach, do you know if Royal has this stipulation for certain ‘ sales’ as I do not see this notation on my cruise planner purchase being non refundable and cannot be modified?

I heard from one of my clients that it was because she was looking at it in her cruise planner but it was originally purchased through her husbands.  It could be cancelled through her husbands account.

15 hours ago, frank808 said:

It’s $100 CAD which, I think, is actually at par with Singaporean dollars.  Haven’t seen any UDP being offered yet for this cruise either.  The deluxe beverage package alone would cost more than the cruise per person at this rate.

Dining, if you can call it that on a Royal ship, is simply sustenance.  The MDR is a total disaster with cold food and poor selections.  Specialty restaurants are horribly overpriced for what is offered, to include the ambiance (sic).  The best dinner selections may be at the buffets.  Paying extra at $70/meal is simply ludicrous and price gouging by Royal.  It is interesting that some cruisers actually believe in Royal's specially offerings.  Ugh!  We will be cruising with friends who are Royal aficionados late in 2023 and will take most of our meals in the buffet.  This November we are cruising with Oceania where special restaurants are included in the price, in addition to being a venue that offers great ambiance and service, and food.  The difference is similar to sitting in the back of airplane, "cattle car" as a former stewardess (1970) offered, or up front in first class.  Everything Royal does is "cattle car" to include over stuffing their ships with cabins/people.  NOT a vacation!

• Haha 4

On 9/4/2022 at 6:21 AM, Georgeny said:

Was never a fan admittedly of extra charge dining. We have cruised since 1984 and originally cruises were all about primary things, service and food. When they started added charge dining MDR food was extremely good and it seemed obvious to me that the only way to get people to pay for extra dining would be to dumb down the quality in the MDR. That has certainly occurred compared to pre-speciality restaurants.

That said cost and quality differ by consumer. we live in NY metro area. Drink and food prices in shipboard restaurants are similar in pricing but far less quality and service. I would consider CHOPS a nice restaurant locally not a steakhouse. But if your area doesn't have a lot these type steakhouses etc then speciality restaurant can be worth it for the experience.

A $15 cocktail is sadly what we would pay at home, but my relatives in Ohio would be driven nuts by that. OMG they charged me $2.25 for a POP !!!!!

Ship service as well far less than 1980's, not to say that then was necessarily better cruising. Today cabin amenities and ship amenities far better. There were NO balconies and limited window cabins. Our first cabin the bed was not large enough for me at 6"2" to stretch. One of us had to leave the cabin so other could dress. I will find and include a picture should you consider me exaggerating.

Picture taken from cabin door You don't even want to see the bathroom and shower. You could also here a whisper in the next cabin. LOL You cabin see the size of the double bed.

George in NY

pinkbag.jpg

omg I love this. Wow you have seen some changes.

In our early days of cruising - we never went to specialities.  Besides - back then you were lucky if there were two - Chops and Portofino's.  We actually started when we sailed on NCL and Celebrity and they had more variety.  Now that we are D+ we sometimes do a BOGO.  

We did Chops on the Enchantment last month.  I've had a better bone-in rib eye from my local supermarket.  Mine was half gristle and fat.  Probably won't do Chops again anytime soon.