Capri Pants for Ladies at Dinner? San Diego to Tahiti, Warm Sea Days for Crossing?

SeaDayLvr

Hi,

I searched the boards and could not find an answer to the question if ladies could wear capri pants to dinner.   The Windstar dress code does not list them as a no, or a yes, only slacks are mentioned for pants.  For those that have been on Windstar have you seen ladies wear capri pants for dinner?  (Below knee capris, dressed up with nice sandals, top, etc).   This is my first Windstar Cruise.

I am on the Star Breeze in a few weeks, crossing from San Diego to Tahiti.  There will be 13 sea days.  Has anyone done this, and if so, was the crossing warm, and was it pleasant enough to spend the sea days outside and at the pool?

Thank you all for your help!

Typically I will wear a cute dress to dinner (I’m a sucker for a cute short dress).  I have worn white capris or a short skirt with a fun top in the Caribbean. I’ve also worn a little black dress to celebrate an occasion. However, I wouldn’t wear my hiking capris  to dinner. 

I think as long as you’re comfortable and happy and feel good about yourself you’ll be fine. Enjoy!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ski Mom 2 said:

Typically I will wear a cute dress to dinner (I’m a sucker for a cute short dress).  I have worn white capris or a short skirt with a fun top in the Caribbean. I’ve also worn a little black dress to celebrate an occasion. However, I wouldn’t wear my hiking capris  to dinner. 

I think as long as you’re comfortable and happy and feel good about yourself you’ll be fine. Enjoy!

Thank you!  I have several short skirts that I am bringing too, glad to hear those will be okay.  

We did the first Wind Spirit from Costa Rica to  Tahiti. We sailed along the Equator which in seamen's terms is called the "doldrums ", because it is so calm. 19 days of sheer magic. We loved it. We also did the first Tahiti cruise when we got there. Peaceful, restful, bring books.  As for clothing and as for  never traveling with a checked bag, and the great laundry onboard, I wear mid-calf culottes with a nice top for inside dinners. I have a pair capris I would wear but they are too heavy for my rules on never checking my bags. Have a glorious time. Happy Sailing. 

• Like 1

We have found that the hotter the weather becomes and the more tropical the location, the more the dress code is relaxed. I recall one blistering hot day where we all came back puddles and they said to not bother to dress for dinner just put on clean shorts and t-shirts if we wanted. You could hear the signs of relief.

Edited by milepig
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, avalong said:

It will probably be a bit cool & bumpy the 1st few days out of California. Once you're free of the Humboldt current which runs along the coast of California it should smooth out.

I had never heard of the Humboldt current, thank you for that information!

19 minutes ago, SeaDayLvr said:

I had never heard of the Humboldt current, thank you for that information!

I probably shouldn't have used the word "few" because everyone interprets that differently. It will take 2 days to be clear of the current, but it will take a "few" 🙂 days to warm up significantly.

Only bring clothes that you can send to the laundry.  On 18 day voyage, laundry is free. They do a great job. It is usually returned, ironed, on hangers.  Same day if you put it out before 9 am.  They do laundry everyday.  At the end of the cruise, you pack mostly clean clothes. 

Correction: I got my currents confused. It's the California current that is the culprit, not the Humboldt.

BTW, On Windstar in Tahiti I  have dressed for dinner just as you described: capris with nice top and dressy sandals.

• Like 1

I’d coin Windstar dress code as smart but casual. I normally choose capris with nice top, cute skirts or a casual dress. Never have felt ‘underdressed’ on any of our WS cruises. And can’t agree more on the packing light as laundry service is excellent. 

Enjoy your cruise!

Did the 18 day Tahiti that finished in Papeete on 8/22/22. It was EXTREMELY relaxed. It'll take me a bit to adjust to 501 levis, cowboy hats (removed respectfully when seated) and shorts in Amphora, but that's the way it was. It was fine. I've always felt that since the crew knock themselves out to prepare an outstanding meal for us, we should at least dress for an occasion. But I'm  chastened.  Maybe it just doesn't matter. The dining room seemed to be a happy, convivial place as usual.

I wore capris a few times and felt fine. Wearing a cowboy hat  or shorts would have made me feel out of place not that I wear a cowboy hat- maybe a 49-ers. But in the scheme of things, if it's ok with WS it's OK with me. We still like to be dress up a bit for dinner. Not yet worn mask and snorkel in Amphora although it's what I mostly wear cruising.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Did the 18 day Tahiti that finished in Papeete on 8/22/22. It was EXTREMELY relaxed. It'll take me a bit to adjust to 501 levis, cowboy hats (removed respectfully when seated) and shorts in Amphora, but that's the way it was. It was fine. I've always felt that since the crew knock themselves out to prepare an outstanding meal for us, we should at least dress for an occasion. But I'm  chastened.  Maybe it just doesn't matter. The dining room seemed to be a happy, convivial place as usual.

I wore capris a few times and felt fine. Wearing a cowboy hat  or shorts would have made me feel out of place not that I wear a cowboy hat- maybe a 49-ers. But in the scheme of things, if it's ok with WS it's OK with me. We still like to be dress up a bit for dinner. Not yet worn mask and snorkel in Amphora although it's what I mostly wear cruising.

Thank you!  I am a bit surprised about the levis and cowboy hats, LOL.  Glad you had a wonderful time, and it's nice to hear that the dining room seemed happy, and relaxed.  I think packing comfortable is the key it sounds like.  Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Just off Breeze. Windstar is now very casual.  Jeans and capris were worn by many at dinner.  For dinner, only saw shorts worn by men in specialty restaurants and at bbq.  Never saw anyone at dinner wearing tees, sweats, or sloppy clothing. Never saw a tie or sports jacket.  Some women wore casual dresses.  Passengers looked comfortable, not slovenly.  

• Like 1

On 9/6/2022 at 6:16 PM, Petoonya said:

We were on the following sailing, 8/22/22-9/9/22 and were told by some of the crew that WS’s owner had just sailed with them - cowboy hat, boots and levi’s!  The owner is from Colorado, owns Xanterra and we envy that you might have sailed with him. If not him, sounds like a great impersonator!  It was a great cruise and  the crew IS outstanding! Never a bad time on WS.